MrMayhem is offline Associate Member

****40 Great Fat Burning Tips*****

It is my hope that this post stays at or close to the top of the nutrition section, as I feel many people are always looking for ways to burn fat. Here's 40 of my best tips. If you want more, hit me up or just ask here. If I get enough requests on here, I'll post more. I'm also planning (later) on posting my best tips for boosting and keeping testosterone levels high naturally through diet and exercises you can do with or without steroids and/or supplementation. Lemme know what you guys think.

One more thing before we begin. A good amount of this knowledge does come from me. What doesn't come from me, I've paraphrased to be mine, but my sources include MuscleMag, Muscular Development, Muscle & Fitness, their web pages, this forum, Web MD, Myself, My good friend and training partner/mentor.... I think thats it.

1. H.I.I.T (High Intensity Interval Training) - When cutting fat, you want your body to work for you, not against you. When doing cardio, calories are not only burnt during the session, but also after. This is due to something called Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption. Studies have proven, time and again, that H.I.I.T. causes a sharp boost in metabolism during and after the workout. This fat burning state lasts for up to 24 hours when H.I.I.T. is done correctly.

2. H.I.I.T. is also a great way to target those fatty pockets, such as belly fat. So focus a little less on those endless sets of crunches that you're doing :P and focus a little more on stimulating your metabolism and burn that fat. All the ab muscle in the world won't matter if you have fat covering them.

3. If you work in a big office building, or any big building for that matter, TAKE THE STAIRS. I know this sounds too simple, but studies have shown, if weigh about 200lbs and work on the 7th floor of a building, you can burn an extra 130 calories simply by taking the stairs to and from your office, twice a day.

4. When weight traing, on training days, if you do your cardio, do it after your lifts. Studies show doing cardio after your lifts increases lipolysis (fat burning) during and after your cardio session.

5. If you do low-intensity cardio on your off days (on a weight training program) do it FIRST THING, AS SOON AS YOU WAKE UP, on an empty stomach. This will lower blood-sugar levels and put you in a deeper and longer lasting fat burning state.

6. To burn fat, cardio has to be pretty intense. If you aren't sweating and out of breath, you're not hitting you ideal fat burning intensity range. STEP IT UP!

7. Be sure you hydrate well before and after intense cardio sessions. Being dehydrated will cause performance levels to drop off at about a 60% faster rate than usual and when dehydrated, you run the risk of fainting. AND... Not only that, but studies show that 2 cups (16oz) of COLD water increase metabolism by about 30% for around 2 hours. AANNDDD.... Not only all that, but staying hydrated HELPS avoid muscle cramps and keeps energy levels higher.

8. CRANK UP THE TUNAGE! This is one of my favorite tips. Like #3, it's so simple. Studies show that listening to fast tempo, heart-pounding music during intense parts of training and some stedier tunes during lower intensity, helps you train faster, for longer.

9. Studies have shown, on more than one occation, that doing TWO 30-min sessions of cardio with 20-mins of rest between them burns more fat than just 60 mins of straight cardio. Combined with H.I.I.T. this will really kick up that metabolic rate and I PERSONALLY, feel a lil better after I train this way. My joints thank me.

10. LET GO! When on a cardio machine, (tredmill, stair-stepper, elliptical machine, ect...) and holding onto the hand-rails, you aren't allowing the biggest muscles to work as hard as they could. Free-hand it and help kick up that metabolism.

11. MIX IT UP! Lighter weight, higher reps does burn more fat DURING the workout, but heavier weight and less reps burns more fat AFTER the workout. So mix up your routines or schedule to include both. I PERSONALLY, like doing heavy sets for 4-6 weeks, light sets for 3-4 weeks (also focusing more on metabolism and diet) and then back to heavy 4-6 weeks and so on.

12. Speed up your reps. Studies show that a controlled, but FAST and EXPLOSIVE movement (less than one second on the positive side of the rep) helps burn more fat.

13. MIX IT UP! MIX IT UP!! I can't stress this enough. Mixing up workouts helps fight off plateaus and keep the body guessing. Australlian studies have shown that individuals that followed a 20-min H.I.I.T. program burned SIX TIMES more fat than individuals who did 40-mins of even paced cardio.

14. Try to increase times if possible. You 'd think "Man... If I burn 400 colaries running 30-mins, then I should burn 800 calories if I run for an hour." Well, that my friends is just not the case. The human body isn't that simple. Canadian studies show that individuals who ran for an hour burned FIVE TIMES the calories as opposed to when those same individuals ran 30-mins. So (from the example above) is you burned 400 calories running 30 mins, you'll burn about 1200 calories if you run for an hour at that same pace.

15. PLAY SPORTS. Get some friends together for a cook out (using the healthy recipes found in this forum of course). Get a game of touch-football, basketball, soccer, tennis, or any game to get you sweating, going. Not only is it a great way to get some social interaction, it's a great way to burn fat! AND have fun.

16. MIIIXXXX IITT UUPP!!! Stagger cardio across different machine. Example: If doing a 60-min cardio session, Bike: 20-mins, Tredmill: 20-mins, Elliptical: 20-mins. It helps break the monotony and keep you focused. Also, for safety reasons, even if you know you're warmed up, do a short warm-up session on each machine, 2-5 mins before kicking it up to your crazy insane fat burning levels.

17. WARM UP and COOL DOWN! Even I'm guity as charged, for skipping these sometimes. Do, AT LEAST, a 3-5 min warm-up session and a 2-3 min cool down before you start and end your cardio for the day. This isnt essential to burning fat neccessarily, but by warming up, you'll increase your stamina and reduce the risk of injury. By cooling down, you help REDUCE lactic acid build up. (Which contributes to your on-set muscle soreness.... no one likes that)

18. REST. Don't over-train and also be sure to get, AT LEAST, seven hours of sleep a night/day. When you don't get enough rest, your metabolism slows and all your hard work will be in vein REMEMBER: It takes the average, healthy body about 3 days to establish a routine. After that, it's all in your head. Resting helps fight off cortisol (the hormone responsible for stress) and too much cortisol can and will trigger cravings for high-fatty and high-sugar foods. High cortisol levels also put you in an "insulin resistant" state, which means it takes more insulin to get the job done and also means that the primary use for the insulin then becomes to shuttle food down fat storing pathways, rather than into muscle.

19. Increasing the incline at which you do your cardio (where applicable) burns more calories... Thus burning more fat.

20. Wanna burn fat and save some cash? You can. As spring and summer are upon us, on days when it ISN'T too hot, ride your bicycle to work or to the gym. Or jog, rollerblade, etc, to work and/or the gym. (if possible) You can almost double, if not triple your cardio and, here's the best part, by leaving the car in the driveway, you save on gas! Use that extra cash to treat that someone special, you've had your eye on, out to a nice dinner. haha

21. DO NOT EAT SUGARY FOODS BEFORE TRAINING. If you do, the insulin spike caused by said foods will EXTREMELY reduce the chance of your body tapping into those stubborn fatty pockets you've been bustin your ass to get rid of. If you do need some carbs for your workout, to get you through, slow-digesting carbs like fruits, sweet-potatoes, or whole-wheat bread are good options.

22. Set LOFTY goals. Don't set a goal so hard that Jay Cutler himself couldn't reach, but challenge yourself. Studies show that by setting goals, even if you don't ultimately reach that goal, you'll get closer than you would've (thus getting faster and better results), than by not setting one at all.

23. Don't JUST train to failure, take it past that. Studies show forced reps and static contraction burn more fat. BUT... Above all, plz, BE SAFE.

24. FCKING MIX IT UP! 'Nuf said.

25. MIX IT UP SOME MORE!

26. LOL but seriously, back to tips, drink green tea while doing cardio. Studies have shown those who drank green tea while exercising burned about 10% more abdominal fat than those who drank a placebo.

27. REST. I know, I already said this too, but it is KEY. You may be able to get through the day 5-6 hrs of sleep, but you're far from optimizing lipolysis. Studies have shown that just reducing your sleep for just 3 days decreased glucose tolerance and acute insulin response by 30%. IN OTHER WORDS... You lose the ability to process sugar efficiently and increase the chances that it will be stored as fat.

28. Take a power nap in the mid-late afternoon if this is possible (if you're like me, and have a day job lol you can't do this everyday). Make sure it's not within 5-6 hrs of bedtime and don't crash for more than about 45-mins. This is very effective for growth hormone release with-in the body (I won't get into that... theres other post around here for that)

29. Instead of counting reps, why not try the Time-Under-Tension method? Time sets for about 60-75 seconds and don't count reps. Instead, know about how long it takes you to complete a full movement and count those seconds, per movement. (Such as, for a push-up, start your set clock, it should take 1 second down, 1 second up... So count "1!... 2!" next rep, count again "1!... 2!")

30. Keep your protein intake high. Get about 40% of your daily calories from protein sources. You'll also gain a lil muscle. Can't hurt? RIGHT?

31. Try some cardio plus weight AT THE SAME TIME. For example, while you ride the stationary bike, pump up those monsterous arms with some dumbbell curls simultaneously.

32. FIDGET. If you're the kinda person who always has to be moving, such as bouncing ur leg, DO IT! ANY movement helps increase lipolysis. Also, after about 20 mins a sitting, your body begins to slow down. So why not get up from your desk and go to the bathroom or water cooler? Or just stand up and stretch. When at home watching tv, If your shows are around 30 mins long, sit in the floor and stretch the last 10 mins of each show while you watch.

33. Increase your intensity. This doesn't mean add more weights to that already loaded and bending bar I know you're using. This means to rest less between sets. Resting a minute or less between reps is considered high intensity. You'll burn more calories during and after the workout.

34. Fish oil gel caps to me are great. They're FULL of Omega-3. Its a fat, that actually can aid in burning other fats Thus it's called a FATTY ACID It's essential for heart health, brain health, brain function, and many other functions and health of organs in the body. Studies have also shown that taking 1000mg with your 3-5 main meals everyday, help to burn fat.

35. ENERGIZE! Energy drinks are full of sugar, but they also contain many other ingredients to help you burn fat. These ingredients include Taurine, Caffiene, Guarana, Ginsing, Niacin, and one of my personal favorites, L-CARNITINE. Not only does L-carnitine improve athletic performance and endurance, it also helps the body produce energy. It is important for heart and brain function, muscle movement, and many other body processes such as carrying fat in the body to the mitochondria of cells, where it's burned away for good and essentially "tranformed" into body heat. L-carnitine is a free-forming aminoacid-like compound. This means the body can convert L-carnitine to other amino acids called acetyl-L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine. It isn't fully known if the benefits of each form of L-carnitine are interchangeable. So I, PERSONALLY, don't supplement the other forms, I just stick with L-carnitine.

36. SHAKES. Make your protein shakes thicker. The thicker the better. Drink them between meals as a snack or part of your snack. Whey protein also has the ability to boost key hormones in fighting the battle against hungeer. Those hormones include cholecystokinin and glucagon-like peptide-I.

37. Soy protein is a proven fat burner, but be careful, as soy protein does contain the female hormone estrogen. Soy protein really helps burn the abdominal fat, but again, it contains estrogen! so too much will increase abdominal fat, as well as yeild other side-effects. Studies have shown that about 20 grams of soy protein a day is enough to burn a significant amout of abdominal fat, without the estrogen side-effects.

38. Find a good commercial fat burner such as Meltdown or Lipo-6x and many others. Studies show the average person's lypolysis is increase 30% or more, for the 90-mins after a dose of leading fat burning supplements.

39. SPIT. Now, this is a touchy one. I DO NOT mean to go around spitting everywhere you go. I'm speaking more of sports drinks. Instead of swallowing it swish it in your mouth and spit it out. Let's try to keep the spitting contained to your OUTSIDE cardio sessions. Studies show rinsing your mouth with leading sports drinks and spitting it out about every 10-mins, still helps you train at a higher intensity without adding the extra calories.

40. Gum. Buy some. Chewing sugar-free gum not only helps cure dry mouth, but studies show that people who chew sugar free gum between meals eat significantly less at each meal.

I hope you all find these tips useful and informative. I've spent years researching and bodybuilding. These are a few SIMPLE things I've read, learned, or figured out over my training experience.

My disclaimer: I am not a doctor and do not claim to be. I posted these tips to help others in their quest to burn fat. I am in no way held responsible for anyone, nor their actions, who chooses to follow any one, or combination of these tips. Said persons do so of their own free will and judgment. Thank you all.
    Last edited by MrMayhem; 05-16-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Siting Sources

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Are these your tips, or tips you've compiled from somewhere else? With all due respect, I felt like I was reading straight off a website or out of a muscle mag...

If it's the latter, it'd be proper to credit the author. For the record, I don't mean to offend you... but it's odd for a brand new member with 12 posts log to come on here and offer 40 tips for our members.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Are these your tips, or tips you've compiled from somewhere else? With all due respect, I felt like I was reading straight off a website or out of a muscle mag...

If it's the latter, it'd be proper to credit the author. For the record, I don't mean to offend you... but it's odd for a brand new member with 12 posts log to come on here and offer 40 tips for our members.
    agree.

OP, if this is not your work, but someone else's, you need to give credit where credit is due. But if it is your work then you should indicate that as well.

No disrespect intended. And good info.

---Roman
    Last edited by Times Roman; 05-16-2012 at 04:21 PM.

I get what ur satyin. They're compiled, as I said in the beginning from things I've read or found. What I do is, As I read mags or sites, I jot down things that I want to remember. I have a whole 120 page notebook full o stuff. Figured I'd share some of it. I'd site the sources if I remembered where it ALL came from. But, probably 15 of the 40 though are actually my facts. The rest I've added many things together from many sites. Such as #35 that was comprized from probably 5 or 6 different sources. The important thing to me though is that people learn from what I post, but I will pay more attention to sources from now on, and site where my info comes from
    Thanks for the critique dudes.

And gbrice, I enjoy reading your posts and forum as well. I learn a lot. I know Ima new member and a young blood but I know my stuff as well.... I still A WHOLE LOT to learn though.
    I sited my sources at the top
    Thanks again for the critique. Look forward to learning more from and with you guys.
    Last edited by MrMayhem; 05-16-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo, adding something

binsser is offline Senior Member
    good tips for newbies but most who have been on this site for a while now know this anyway but good shout for typing it up it could help a few people pal!

gurupimp6969 is offline Junior Member
    Good read...
    Your profile says your 5'9 260 @ 12% bf. if that's true damn you gotta be pretty damn SWOLL

Not to get off topic but any cycle experience?

Quote Originally Posted by binsser View Post
    good tips for newbies but most who have been on this site for a while now know this anyway but good shout for typing it up it could help a few people pal!
    Yea, they're mostly newb tips, but when I first started training though, I knew NOTHING. So my intention here was to give some newbs a head start that I never got I love helping ppl. Besides, I just joined up here, so I'm trying to share what knowledge I do have, starting from most basic and working my way up. So I get more posts that way and just give everyone a general idea of what i know
    Thanks for da shout man!

No, I've NEVER used anything, but su.pps. I'm gonna spend from now until I'm about 25 studyin it all. At that age, if I feel I know enough to start, I may, or I may wait a lil longer. It also depends on what my body tells me then too. Maybe at that time, I still wont need them. I made a promise to myself and the ones I love. I said "Now, I love body building. It's something I want to do the rest of my life and maybe one day become a pro. Who knows what the future holds, but I do know that I will NEVER put ANYTHING or DO ANYTHING to my body without first know the pros and cons, inside and out." From age 13ish to 16ish, I studied su.pps and how to use them and all the side effects and the ups and downs, the inside, the outside, and everything between. I started body building at 15ish and tried my first su.pp around age 16
    Thanks for the question and I'm glad u enjoyed my post.

Had to put a period in the word su.pps cuz the site wouldnt let me post it lol

bobjack is offline Associate Member
    i enjoyed the read.
    knew pretty much all of it cept for the fat burning pill, i thought those were useless i may try them. which one do you recommend

to me, Most of the commercial fat burners work well, You just have to remember, its not just about what you take.... HOW you take it is very important. I PERSONALY like Lipo 6x UNDERGROUND. I havent used it in a while lol, but last I checked, It was just 3 caps first thing in the morn. 3 caps mid day.... or 6 hrs later. Im not big on the whole take so many caps before each meal. Not sayin those dont work... Im not sayin that at all. I personaly just like the convenience of taking 2 doses and gettin great results, but you'll have to explore them a lil yourself when you're comfortable with it. Find what you like and what works for you. I also like Hydroxy-cut Hardcore, Meltdown, Redline. I've gotten good results from all those.
    What supps do you use right now bobjack? besides protein.

to me, Most of the commercial fat burners work well, You just have to remember, its not just about what you take.... HOW you take it is very important. I PERSONALY like Lipo 6x UNDERGROUND. I havent used it in a while lol, but last I checked, It was just 3 caps first thing in the morn. 3 caps mid day.... or 6 hrs later. Im not big on the whole take so many caps before each meal. Not sayin those dont work... Im not sayin that at all. I personaly just like the convenience of taking 2 doses and gettin great results, but you'll have to explore them a lil yourself when you're comfortable with it. Find what you like and what works for you. I also like Hydroxy-cut Hardcore, Meltdown, Redline. I've gotten good results from all those.What supps do you use right now bobjack? besides protein.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcmahanjr View Post
    I get what ur satyin. They're compiled, as I said in the beginning from things I've read or found. What I do is, As I read mags or sites, I jot down things that I want to remember. I have a whole 120 page notebook full o stuff. Figured I'd share some of it. I'd site the sources if I remembered where it ALL came from. But, probably 15 of the 40 though are actually my facts. The rest I've added many things together from many sites. Such as #35 that was comprized from probably 5 or 6 different sources. The important thing to me though is that people learn from what I post, but I will pay more attention to sources from now on, and site where my info comes from
    Thanks for the critique dudes.
    Fair enough! Thanks for your contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcmahanjr View Post
    And gbrice, I enjoy reading your posts and forum as well. I learn a lot. I know Ima new member and a young blood but I know my stuff as well.... I still A WHOLE LOT to learn though.
    I sited my sources at the top
    Thanks again for the critique. Look forward to learning more from and with you guys.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it and glad you're enjoying my work.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    didn't know about the spitting #39. Looks like I'm going to be popular at the gym today! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    didn't know about the spitting #39. Looks like I'm going to be popular at the gym today! =)
    Spitting = camel training! lol

[QUOTE=gbrice75;6011558]Are these your tips, or tips you've compiled from somewhere else? With all due respect, I felt like I was reading straight off a website or out of a muscle mag... QUOTE]

LOL That kinda makes me feel good, it doesnt offend me at all, cuz like I said, It's my own words

Thread Information