Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    17 hours into my 36 hour fast.... hu-n-gr-y.... must... get... food....

lol, not really. Feeling pretty decent actually. I want food, but it's all psychological at this point. Also, I did just have a 50g protein shake (hardly satiating) - as I said, this is a 'quasi' fast. PWO tomorrow will be epic however.

JohnnnyBlazzze is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You're going to workout before you break the 36 hour fast?

Curious to see how your energy levels and workout will go. Goodluck.

Yep, did the same last week - energy levels were not bad at all to be honest.

Lucky me - I get to not only workout out around the 34th hour, but the first exercise of the day is deadlifts, heavy (6 rep max)... joy!!!

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    i was checking out the 36 hour fast too... but its not rec for us gals so I passed

awesome will power GB!
    Is your lovely wifey doing ok with her plan as well?

Tx89 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    Yep, did the same last week - energy levels were not bad at all to be honest.

Lucky me - I get to not only workout out around the 34th hour, but the first exercise of the day is deadlifts, heavy (6 rep max)... joy!!!
    Yeah man, good stuff! As u know I have a long fast from Sunday late evening to tuesday afternoon. On mondays I pull regular deads and on tuesday i do front squats:-) come at me heavy weights!!
    Just out of curiosity: how much do u pull? I bet quite some amount, because here somehow most "older"(meaning 30+) dudes are beastly strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart View Post
    i was checking out the 36 hour fast too... but its not rec for us gals so I passed

awesome will power GB!
    Is your lovely wifey doing ok with her plan as well?
    Haven't really read about it for females... if you have the time, please fill me in as to why it's not recommended... i'm curious!

Thx for your support! My wife is wrapping up her first week of doing really well. Obviously no physical changes yet, but mentally, she's starting to feel better... and more empowered which is what it's ALL about - taking control of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx89 View Post
    Yeah man, good stuff! As u know I have a long fast from Sunday late evening to tuesday afternoon. On mondays I pull regular deads and on tuesday i do front squats:-) come at me heavy weights!!
    SICK!!!

Just out of curiosity: how much do u pull? I bet quite some amount, because here somehow most "older"(meaning 30+) dudes are beastly strong!
    lol, well i'm definitely not one of them!! To be honest, I have no idea what my 1RM is. The most I've ever attempted to DL was 405, which I was able to do, but I could have gone heavier - i'm known to underestimate myself at times.

This morning, I did 325lbs for 6 reps which was not even close to my 6RM - so there again, I kind of cheated myself, but I was trying to be conservative considering the fast. The most I've DL'd for reps is 365lbs, but again I know I can go heavier.

So there you have it, nothing extraordinary, but not bad for a sloppy old man!

Alright man thanks for the info! And the numbers arent bad at all i think:-)
    Oh and hope you didnt feel offended by older dudes;-) i meant that very positive

Alright man thanks for the info! And the numbers arent bad at all i think:-)
    Oh and hope you didnt feel offended by older dudes;-) i meant that very positive
    Not offended at all! Believe me, i'm far from delusional and know i'm past my prime!!!

Just out of curiosity... what are your DL numbers? Ok ok, I just wanna see how I measure up (or don't)!!!

We play in the same league I'd say ;-)
    But in the end i dont care much about numbers, i do it for the looks

We play in the same league I'd say ;-)
    Not sure how 485 and 365 are in the same ballpark, lol! Highly doubt I can hit 530... in fact, I know I can't. Oh, and I use straps!!!

But in the end i dont care much about numbers, i do it for the looks
    Exactly. That's why I really don't give a shit about grip strength, etc.

Yeah, but theres a couple of years in between us and I bet I got a lot more time to lift etc. than you have man.
    If I can keep my efforts up even when having wife, kids, full time job etc. I'll be more than happy to be where you are. All you guys living the lifestyle no matter of These "limiting factors" have all my respect :-)

Thanks brother, I appreciate that!

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    GB, I've read a lot of your posts and have taken great info from them. The best advise I've taken from you is to either cut or bulk pick one and stick to it. Like you I've spun my wheels trying to do both at the same time. I am really interested in the IF diet and look forward to seeing your results and learn how to do it as well. Last night I read this entire thread and the most surprising thing was the fact that you have many of the same challenges I do with over eating wrong foods and staying on track. I must say I commend you for getting it together while raising family. I was never able to until now that my kids are in college. Good luck with the IF.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    I haven't been to my thread in a few days.

Definitely the wife will help. My Mrs, on the other hand, is easily swayed. If there's a hint of me going off MY diet she bakes some cakes!
    it is nice to make it a family adventure....I am interested in what kind of cakes. hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by bikeral View Post
    GB, I've read a lot of your posts and have taken great info from them. The best advise I've taken from you is to either cut or bulk pick one and stick to it. Like you I've spun my wheels trying to do both at the same time. I am really interested in the IF diet and look forward to seeing your results and learn how to do it as well. Last night I read this entire thread and the most surprising thing was the fact that you have many of the same challenges I do with over eating wrong foods and staying on track. I must say I commend you for getting it together while raising family. I was never able to until now that my kids are in college. Good luck with the IF.
    Thank you bikeral, I really appreciate this! Yep, we all have our demons and struggles. The best we can do is face them head on, and when we beat them, we feel empowered. At least that's been my experience. Of course, we win some and lose some - it's human nature, we're not robots. We do our best.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    how did ya fare over the weekend? did the devil come around?

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    how did ya fare over the weekend? did the devil come around?
    While not perfect, it's been my best (IF) weekend so far. I was pretty good all day Saturday. Sunday was a bit shakey, but not terrible. I didn't come out of the weekend feeling horrible (not great either though) like usual lately, so that's a good thing. Next week will be even better as there is no more garbage left in the house. My wife being on board helped a GREAT deal this weekend.

AXx
    AXx is offline AR's hose draggin' post whore~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    What up G, lol. Sorry I couldnt resist. Are you still drinking BCAA's during or before workout? I rememeber you referring to a book, I cant remeber the name I think it was in the previous IF thread you had. Would you advize a person doing the sunday 24 hr fast and then following leangains guide the rest of the week?
    Last edited by AXx; 06-18-2012 at 12:57 PM.

lol, np.

Yep - 10g BCAA prior to my workout and/or cardio. The IF book you're referring to is probably the free E-Book 'Experiments With Intermittent Fasting' by Dr. John Berardi?

I'm doing Leangains 4 days a week, incorporating a 36 hour fast, and then 2 'regular' / non-fast days. Time will tell if it's working.

AXx
    AXx is offline AR's hose draggin' post whore~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Roger that sir, and yes thats the book I am referring too. I also found a free PDF of "Eat Stop Eat". Kinda cool also, have you read it? Did I miss it or did you lay it out in a previous comment what days your fast falls on?

Found it
    Last edited by AXx; 06-18-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Haven't read 'Eat Stop Eat' but i'm familiar with the book, and style of fasting.

My 36 hour fast starts 8pm Wednesday evening and breaks 8am Friday morning.

Well, i'm in the middle (kind of) of my 3rd 36 hour fast, and while it's not terrible, I'm not enjoying it either. Plain and simple - I love eating, and look forward to it!!

On a completely separate note - I am currently researching TRT and am hoping I qualify. I have many reasons to believe I will, but we shall see!

fatman225 is offline Associate Member
    Ah cool, whole thread on IF. Been surfing the forum learning lately.

Recently cut 25 pounds, virtually all fat.

Currently 19% bodyfat, at 5'8" at 225, was up at 250 for a while with who knows how much fat.

All due to OCD eating, afraid of losing muscle.

I've lost that 25 pounds in only 60 days using IF too.

I don't complicate it by fretting over exact details much. No supplements besides a daily multi vitamin.

I don't worry about PWO's or anything.

For the most part its just been fast most of each day, and doing cardio in a fasted state, eating my 1000 cal meal about one hour before lifting weights, as I feel better that way, and a small meal before bed.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    well, i'm in the middle (kind of) of my 3rd 36 hour fast, and while it's not terrible, i'm not enjoying it either. Plain and simple - i love eating, and look forward to it!!

On a completely separate note - i am currently researching trt and am hoping i qualify. I have many reasons to believe i will, but we shall see!
    we................want...........pics!!!!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Not offended at all! Believe me, i'm far from delusional and know i'm past my prime!!!
    ill be 38 in october u guys r depressing me! LOL

BTW im a bit gun shy with deads... the heaviest ive been thus far is 285 for 8reps.. wasnt too tough but i dont do them a lot and dont wanna mess up my back..

squats i did get a personal best (which im proud of ) last week of 385 x 8.. legs tomorrow.. gonna go for 405 or maybe a lil more.. how bout yall? what do yall squat for reps?

Quote Originally Posted by fatman225 View Post
    Ah cool, whole thread on IF. Been surfing the forum learning lately.
    Yessir, glad you're enjoying it!

Recently cut 25 pounds, virtually all fat.
    Congrats bro, feels great, doesn't it!?!?

Currently 19% bodyfat, at 5'8" at 225, was up at 250 for a while with who knows how much fat.

All due to OCD eating, afraid of losing muscle.
    I've been there. I don't worry about it anymore. I cut down close to my avy conditioning while gaining strength... naturally.

I've lost that 25 pounds in only 60 days using IF too.

I don't complicate it by fretting over exact details much. No supplements besides a daily multi vitamin.

I don't worry about PWO's or anything.

For the most part its just been fast most of each day, and doing cardio in a fasted state, eating my 1000 cal meal about one hour before lifting weights, as I feel better that way, and a small meal before bed.
    I'm relatively supplement light myself.

Have you tried working out in a fasted state? I am assuming you have as you said you feel better lifting after breaking the fast, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    we................want...........pics!!!!
    Lmao, I know, I know!!! Dude, I swear - I'd post pics if I had anything worth posting, but I don't. I don't look as good as I did last summer which is depressing. I don't look much different from a few months ago which is also depressing. When I bounce back and make another significant change to my physique, I swear I will post pics!

YOU on the other hand have gained quite a few lbs in a few short weeks - you owe us pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    ill be 38 in october u guys r depressing me! LOL
    lol

BTW im a bit gun shy with deads... the heaviest ive been thus far is 285 for 8reps.. wasnt too tough but i dont do them a lot and dont wanna mess up my back..
    I forget - do you have any back issues to begin with?

squats i did get a personal best (which im proud of ) last week of 385 x 8.. legs tomorrow
    Sick!!

gonna go for 405 or maybe a lil more.. how bout yall? what do yall squat for reps?
    Pfft, not even close to you. I think the most I've ever tried repping is 315... and pretty sure it was only for like 6 reps if that. My legs look pretty good... fairly lean and cut - but small and weak. I can deadlift much more than I can squat, which is kind of strange I guess.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    no back issues.. just wanna make sure it stays that way!

Have you tried working out in a fasted state? I am assuming you have as you said you feel better lifting after breaking the fast, just curious.
    Going to make that change today.

After reading about it have the potential to be MORE anabolic , or at least even better at sparing muscle.

The change I plan to make is to first lift wieghts after work, a sedentary job where I sit on my butt all day, around 4:00 - 6:00pm (schedule varies) then I will get home 5:30 to 7:30 (depending on when I got to the gym), and do my cardio, 30 minutes on treadmill low intensity, and THEN around 8:30 to 9:00 eat my 1 meal for the day. Good satisfying meal, and then sleep full and happy.

I don't tend to manage to do full 24+ hour fasts well as I simply cannot sleep well fasted. Too much energy.

So far even the half hazzard IF format I had been doing really shred a lot of fat. Obvioulsy made easier when there WAS too much fat in the first place. Now down to 19% going to have to be a bit more serious, but again, it really simplifies things knowing we are not going to lose muscle if we don't eat all day, or that we need to rush home for that PWO, or have to carry a blender full of goop to eat in the locker room right after a workout or any of the "traditional" bro-science crap.

I wish I had that mentality in my 20s!

Yeah gotta protect the back. Not worth the risk.

I got two crushed discs from my time in the Army when I was younger. Young and dumb, showing off, trying to pretent I was invincible.

Its the kind of injury you never can forget about.

Can't say I blame ya!!

Going to make that change today.

After reading about it have the potential to be MORE anabolic, or at least even better at sparing muscle.
    To be honest, if you feel you're having great success with what you've been doing, I wouldn't change it. If it ain't broke....

The change I plan to make is to first lift wieghts after work, a sedentary job where I sit on my butt all day, around 4:00 - 6:00pm (schedule varies) then I will get home 5:30 to 7:30 (depending on when I got to the gym), and do my cardio, 30 minutes on treadmill low intensity, and THEN around 8:30 to 9:00 eat my 1 meal for the day. Good satisfying meal, and then sleep full and happy.
    If you do decide to do this, i'd appreciate you keeping me/us posted with any differences you notice, physically or otherwise.

I don't tend to manage to do full 24+ hour fasts well as I simply cannot sleep well fasted. Too much energy.
    Wish I had this problem.

So far even the half hazzard IF format I had been doing really shred a lot of fat. Obvioulsy made easier when there WAS too much fat in the first place. Now down to 19% going to have to be a bit more serious, but again, it really simplifies things knowing we are not going to lose muscle if we don't eat all day, or that we need to rush home for that PWO, or have to carry a blender full of goop to eat in the locker room right after a workout or any of the "traditional" bro-science crap.
    AMEN!!! Glad to see you don't listen to all the parrots.

Feeling pretty good today. Although tomorrow is my weigh-in day, I stepped on the gym scale this morning (so I had clothes, sneakers, etc. on) and was about 191.5 - so it's safe to assume i'm around 190 or so. For the first time in a while, I am noticing a difference in my appearance, particularly in my abdominals which is nice. If I can maintain my current momentum for another 4 weeks or so, I may even be able to get pics up here finally!! I am still tiny however, which always pisses me off.

All in all though, good week.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    [QUOTE=gbrice75;6041887]Haven't really read about it for females... if you have the time, please fill me in as to why it's not recommended... i'm curious!

Thx for your support! My wife is wrapping up her first week of doing really well. Obviously no physical changes yet, but mentally, she's starting to feel better... and more empowered which is what it's ALL about - taking control of yourself.

yea its said that it takes a good few weeks before we see changes in our selves and even more weeks before others notice

...so funny what you later say about the wifey and cakes! just having Tiger home and my routine being changed up some has been a struggle for me ~ no biggy its just about finding a new groove.

from what I have read diff sources say that keeping an IF life (for gals) down to 14ish hours at a time is best ~ and I honestly dont remember the "why" I just retained the "to do" lol
    ...but i would imagine it has something to do with our hormones/ age/ and body programing ..??
    i did find this though :" It turns out that women has lower plasma glucose concentrations than men after the same time spent fasting. In practical terms, this means that women in general are more likely to get moody and hungry if they go too long without feeding, while men can go longer without experiencing any negative effects" they went on to say that the more hours after the 14 of if, increase a gals chance of cal over load after a fast (even if its a paeleo diet thats healthy, too many cals will sabatage it) so I stick to more 24 hour IF days that I know I can handle- rather than longer than 24 IF hours for less days... but maybe I will be able to build up to longer iF hours

GLAD TO SEE THE WIFE IS STILL WORKIN IT!

^^ now that you do mention it, I do recall Leangains protocol for women being 14 hours vs. 16 for men.

^^ now that you do mention it, I do recall Leangains protocol for women being 14 hours vs. 16 for men.
    Yes it is 14 indeed!

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    hey g sorry havent been in here lately mate. had some issues with the back and wasnt coping to well. getting better now so i can check on u more often

Thanks brother!!

PS - 189.5lbs this morning. Broke the 190 barrier. Small hurdle in my rear view mirror.

^^ wow - 6 months, 25lbs up.

Anyway, BUMP - for Deucefan.

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    ^^ wow - 6 months, 25lbs up.

Anyway, BUMP - for Deucefan.
    Interested on how this ended up going GB>

Quote Originally Posted by wh1spa View Post
    Interested on how this ended up going GB>
    I stopped running IF for a while, not exactly sure when but probably some time around late June/early July. I'm on the fat side atm (roughly 16%), but working on adding mass so it's ok I guess. I'll be starting a cut in late February for 12-16 weeks. I will probably switch back to IF again once my cut is finished (IMO IF works better for those who are already relatively lean, at least in my experience) to maintain and/or work on adding a bit of lean mass vs. using it to cut.

Bump - for T-dogg!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information