Thread: Bulking diet

teacherman is offline Junior Member

Bulking diet

Hi there,

I posted a thread earlier with my diet and got some great advice plus I read the stickies. I have had a go at revising the diet. I have used this diet for a week and did not gain much if any weight. My stats are as follows:

Male/21/ 5 ft 9/ 63.7kgs/13-15% body fat abs are still visible. I am also generally quite lean.

Meal 1
    1 cup oats and protein:
    P-42 C60 F-7

Rye bread
    P-9.6 C-28 F-1.2

Meal 2
    1 cup W Wheat pasta 2x can tuna
    P-30 C-46 F-13
    1/4 cup cooked lentils
    P-5 C-10- F-0.5

Meal 3
    250 grams chicken breast
    P-65 C-5 F-14

1/2 cup cooked brown rice
    P-2.5 C-23 F-1

Pre WO
    1 cup oats and protein:
    P-42 C60 F-7
    Apple with skin
    P-0 C-19 F-0

Post Workout

WPI with carbs
    P-26 C-56 F-1

Dinner
    250 grams chicken breast
    P-65 C-5 F-14

Pre bed-
    Cottage cheese (3 Tablespoons)
    P-7 C-2 F-2

Works out to about 3431 Calories: Protein: 330 grams Carbs: 309 grams Fats: 70 grams

Should I consider some carbs with dinner as well?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    very interesting dude.. ur tdee assuming ur weight and bf is correct is @2500cals.. that puts u at 900cal surplus.. u should def be gaining weight with that much of a surplus.. ur food choices look pretty good to me as well.. based on ur LBM in lbs u have at 13%bf 121lbs LBM.. for protein u should not need more than 2g per lb LBM which would give u 242g protein..

with ur stats u should be fine bulking with@ 3000 cals.. if nothing else id drop ur protein down to 250g and increase ur carbs in proportion to hit the total cals ur currently eating and give it a little more time.. 1 week isnt enuff to make a good determination IMO.. also since u state ur relatively lean naturally u may be in the situation where u can accumulate muscle without acquiring a lot of fat! if this be the case if i were u id be happy with .5 to 1lb per week especially if its quality.. i think most of us would be ecstatic to be able to put on .5lb of muscle per week with little fat.. 10 weeks = 5lbs.. thatd be a successful natty bulk IMO...

Hey thanks for the really in depth reply! I forgot to mention that I train Monday-Thursday and on Saturday as well. I will keep my diet as it is for another week and if nothing happens I will drop the proteins and up the carbs a bit more! thanks for that. I'm pretty sure I have been measuring everything correctly and I got my numbers from the macro nutrient sticky here.

Thanks again hopefully it all goes well!

no prob.. for reference it looks like u weigh @150lbs and have @ 121lbs LBM.. i weigh 190lbs and have @174lbs LBM and i would eat no more than 350g protein on a bulk i think whether ur gaining or not IMO ur getting more protein than u really need.. think of it like this:

when bulking its like building a house.. protein is the material and carbs are the workers.. a house is only gonna take so much material to complete... how many workers u have will affect the efficiency at which u utilize those materials

obviously there comes a point where carbs can become counter-productive (in the form of fat storage).. but like i said def give it more time.. 2 weeks may not even be enough.. it may take 4 weeks.. by then u should have a good idea of whats going on.. do u have access to calipers and someone who knows how to use them? if so, running the numbers ur running i suggest keeping an eye on bf% and weight.. this will also help u track LBM.. if u dont have them i suggest getting some or finding out where u can go every 2 weeks to get ur bf% checked...

Hmm yeah I see what you are saying. I think it might be worth me revising my diet as I am kind of struggling to eat all of that anyway haha! So if im aiming for about 3092 calories (500 above maintenence) and keeping with a 40/40/20 split?

1236/1236/618 in terms of totals for each macro nutrient so in terms of grams I would be looking at 300/300/69. Does this seem accurate for you? I would rather hit up a lean bulk then a dirty bulk ahaha

63.7kg x 13%bf = 8.28kg fat
    63.7 - 8.28 = 55.42kg LBM
    (55.42 x 21.6) + 370 = 1567BMR
    1567 x 1.55 = 2429cals (TDEE)
    2429 + 500 = 2929

starting at 3000 would be good IMO.. may prove to be less than u need but IMO the good thing about bulking and starting low is all u have to do is increase cals.. it may take a little longer but id rather take longer and run less risk of fat accumulation than have to lose fat

3000 at 40/40/20

300g pro
    300g carbs
    67g fat

i dont know what ur workouts r like or how much cardio ur doing but personally when i bulk i will prob limit cardio to 2-3days per week max unless i start gaining more fat than id like..

Yeah my carbs and fat are pretty on pint so I'll just knock some protein off and I should be good to go. I don't do any cardio currently.

Okay so I weighed myself today and it said I am now 65 kgs? Should I stick with my diet or lower my cals after seeing these numbers?

Lowered my cals a bit weighed myself today and have out on another .5 hopefully it's muscle although it's hard to tell at this stage.

Thread Information