DangerDave is offline Associate Member

post workout nutrition, solid food

I know fast acting liquid carbs would be best for immediate post workout nutrition with whey protein, but my question is: if you had to choose a food source instead of liquid carbs what would you recommend? I was thinking bananas, blended with the whey.

Any recommendations?

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    I've been eating cooked steel cut oats with whey mixed in. That seems to fit what I've been reading lately.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
    I know fast acting liquid carbs would be best for immediate post workout nutrition with whey protein, but my question is: if you had to choose a food source instead of liquid carbs what would you recommend? I was thinking bananas, blended with the whey.

Any recommendations?
    BUZZER sound!!! wrong.. simple carbs and the "anabolic window" PWO is complete BS dude.. the best type carbs pwo or anytime just about are complex.. period.. oats, brn rice, sweet potatoes.. oftentimes my pwo nutrition is an 8oz chicken breast and 1cup oats.. i actually only use whey anymore for flavoring my oats.. usually 1 scoop plus a chicken breast...

decaDump is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---

BUZZER sound!!! wrong.. simple carbs and the "anabolic window" PWO is complete BS dude.. the best type carbs pwo or anytime just about are complex.. period.. oats, brn rice, sweet potatoes.. oftentimes my pwo nutrition is an 8oz chicken breast and 1cup oats.. i actually only use whey anymore for flavoring my oats.. usually 1 scoop plus a chicken breast...
    I agree. I do the same. 2/3 cup of oatmeal with my whey and a meal for pwo.

I'm trying to bulk up. ;-)

gymsoldier is offline Associate Member
    So a shake of Whey and Oats is far superior to Whey and Dextrose?

Quote Originally Posted by gymsoldier View Post
    So a shake of Whey and Oats is far superior to Whey and Dextrose?
    easy short answer... YES MAN

utryit is offline Junior Member
    wrong.. you need starchy carbs after your workout to fill your glycogen stores up slow relase carbohdryates are for "before" working out not after. the only time you eat starchy carbs are after workout

Quote Originally Posted by utryit View Post
    wrong.. you need starchy carbs after your workout to fill your glycogen stores up slow relase carbohdryates are for "before" working out not after. the only time you eat starchy carbs are after workout
    not sure i follow u here utryit?? a "starchy" carb does not necessarily imply how slowly or quickly they are processed thru the body.. the term "starchy" is the language we use to distinguish carbs like oats and sweet potatoes and pasta from fibrous carbs like spinach and broccoli.. before u go spouting off at the keyboard u mite want to at least have an elementary understanding of what ur talking about from now on..

for argument sake and clafirication let me say that rarely would a person "need" simple carbs more than complex carbs as it relates to bodybuilding IMO.. complex carbs are going to be more beneficial in the long run over simple carbs IMO for building muscle with minimal risk for fat accumulation... and certainly not while cutting!

also u may want to do some reading about muscle glycogen and the properties necessary for replenishment..

utryit is offline Junior Member
    Starchy Carb- white patatoes , white rice , white bread andthing quick absorbing cause your body is depleted and its gunna make you feel lethargic. so your starchy carbs will replenish what you just killed and then your metabolism is elevated. you have your fibours carbs before and further on few hours after your training . it makes sence you just need to read up on it

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by utryit
    Starchy Carb- white patatoes , white rice , white bread andthing quick absorbing cause your body is depleted and its gunna make you feel lethargic. so your starchy carbs will replenish what you just killed and then your metabolism is elevated. you have your fibours carbs before and further on few hours after your training . it makes sence you just need to read up on it
    Well, why not just use dextrose then? It's much quicker absorbing!!!!!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

starchy does not imply "white" or "quick absorbing" .. both brn rice and white rice contain "starch".. ill restate what i said above.. before u go spreading ur incorrect misinformation around this site u should at least have a basic idea of what ur talking about!

jpowell is offline Banned
    I rembr reading in another post, sumbody saying brown rice is not a good source for pre workout b/c its not fast digesting. Legit?

Although a good source for carbs.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by jpowell
    I rembr reading in another post, sumbody saying brown rice is not a good source for pre workout b/c its not fast digesting. Legit?

Although a good source for carbs.
    Unless you are an endurance athlete, I see little or no reason for 'fast' acting carbs around workout times. I use oats in my pre workout meal 2 hours before lifting and brown rice post approx 30-45 mins after.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

i went months on end eating only 1/2 cup oats and 4oz sweet potato all day long.. i only got 1/4 cup oats preworkout.. on low carb days i did depletion workouts with no carbs pre or post workout except veggies.. based on my experience i say u dont NEED carbs at all to workout well let alone fast acting! some may do better with them but for myself i dont notice any difference when lifting weights.. cardio is a difft story

the op is saying u need simple or processed (not complex) carbs pwo to refill glycogen.. if i understand correctly.. he calls them starchy carbs.. either way its incorrect IMO.. the only time i ate processed carbs was on ud2.0 and it was a specific design of the diet to cut down (possibly but not conclusively) on water retention!

jpowell is offline Banned
    Yea i think ima mod my diet again, and use oats n yams as only carb sources an rule out the brown rice. Not an endurance athlete but it shod help a lil more.

brown rice is fine dude.. i dont use it but its a good carb source..

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post

Any recommendations?
    A choice for some people, but I would never call them "best". The PWO insulin spike is a near-dead 90's fad. It's 'necessity' has been debunked.

My PWO nutrition for the past few years has been a shake (protein blend - whey, casein, egg albumin, et. al.) w/ raw oats dumped in.

Having said that - if you want solid food PWO, go for it. IMO there is no wrong you can do. If you're really anal about this, have a complex carb and a piece of fruit (banana is fine) + a quality lean protein.

Really? Damn... so THAT'S what i've been doing wrong all this time? Let's get this on track:

1) you don't NEED starchy carbs after your workout. You don't necessarily NEED any carbs after your workout; if you are running a routine that's depleting glycogen stores in a single workout, please PM it to me, I want to start ASAP.

2) Brown rice, oats, sweet potato etc. are also considered 'starchy' carbs, yet you say 'slow release' carbs are for "before" working out, not after. Maybe you should read up on nutrition and food choices before posting this misinformation as if it's a law. NOTHING is an absolute, case closed.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Btw OP - assuming that's you in your avy, you look great.

DangerDave is offline Associate Member
    Thanks gbrice, was taken a few weeks out of my first comp. Thanks guys for the input. Will give the oats in my pwo whey shake a go for a few weeks

Thread Information