txnhb is offline Associate Member

no grains cutting?

Can anybody help out with a cutting diet that stays away from grains?
    I'm 5'9 200 lbs, and i'd assume I am 20% body fat. My diet as of now is unweighed unmeasured. I eat to satiety. I'm not a competitor, I just want to drop some weight to 175/180ish and see where i'm at from there.

jpowell is offline Banned
    first things first...why do you eat till your satisfied? how do you know it not excess or not enough? also what do you want to stay away from grains--im assuming your talking bout oats, brans, rice, and other grains rite?. you've come to the rite place. what id do is read stickies--calc tdee--and fill in with amounts of food to hit the numbers, don't over think its quite simple. good luck!

I eat to satiety because I am not trying to drop weight and I was trying to get stronger. Yeah all those are what I want to stay away from. I just feel better when I stay away from grains.
    Thanks for the help. I'll check out the numbers.

hmm its gonna be tuff, as those listed are gonna be your best sources for carbs. your 200 lbs and 20%bf? but your not tryn drop weight? whats the point in cutting? if your your tryn for strength and/or mass, you gonna have to eat around 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. Also you carbs are gonna have to b around the same area, however not sure what your gonna use as your carb sources, maybe just veggies and yams?

i'm guesstimating my body fat. i assume it's around there judging by some peoples pictures. I hold all my fat center mass. Perhaps I should start this thread over with letting you know my goals, and from there you can recommend which way to take it. In my younger days I used to want to be as big as I could. Now i'm 29 and would be happy at a 180 pound build with 10-12% body fat year round.

I used to fight mma and muay thai. I've fought from 195 down to 160, which I learned was my best weight class as I was bigger than your average 160 pounder and stronger. I am guesstimating my bodyfat percentage because at cutting to 160 my abs would really start popping out once i was at 170 and below. I wouldn't lift because I put on weight just by looking at a bar. Coincidently I am the same when it comes to food it appears. Now I have been lifting on and off for the past year. My background was lifting (bodybuilder type routine) from 16-24 years old and then starting fighting training and getting away from that up until last year. Now I'm back to lifting and just getting back into the swing of things and being consistent.

So, knowing this, and my goal, which way would you steer the boat. Yam's are good to go. What about fruit in the early hours of the day?

I left this out, I have been on TRT for 5 and 1/2 weeks. Within the first 2 weeks I jumped 10 pounds up. It might be water, hard to tell. I'm waiting on my next blood draw to check E2 levels to fix that if they are in fact out of range.

its rec no fruit while cutting. its keeps u soft and retains water. if your not prepping for a show or even the bodybuilder physique but simply looking to cut, i don't see a problem with fruits, eat things like avocado for fats, grape fruits, bananas, oranges and apples. not going by weight but by body fat numbers is how you want to evaluate goals and progress. 5'9" IMO at 160-170 has to be gross looking. just not my cup of tea. thas too small. but u dont have to be that small to see you abs, its in the bf%. have you read those stickies and calc tdee? simply put, what i wod do is structure a diet like this:
    1. carbs and pro
    2. pro and fat
    3. pro and fat
    4. carbs and pro
    5. carbs and pro
    6. all pro.

splitting carbs between 3 meals only, 4/5 wod b pre/post workout. my last meal of the day usually is all protein.
    now weather ur goals are to cut or bulk is whats going to determine the size of the portions. a very simplistic view point. their are some videos in the diet sticky u should watch.

HeadAndArm is offline Junior Member
    I followed a low grain diet looking to lose weight last summer with great results. I think the key is just to have tons of veggies in place of grains and it can be quite satisfying.

Thread Information