Lil man is offline Associate Member

Crohns disease and protein

This thread is meant for my wife. She doesn't like forums much but lately after I learned from you guys how to diet, I offered her a meal plan as we. She has crohns and can't have real fibrous foods. Nuts, fresh veggies, whole grains, fruit peels, seeds, you get the idea, are all very painful an can actually lead to hospitilization. Her diet that I made consists mostly of chicken, eggs, fruit juice, and sweet potatoes. She wants really bad to get on track in fitness but withthe struggles of diet restriction, it's difficult. Well, today, I put two and two together and realize that protein doesn't work well in her diet either. She's tried protein shakes and that's a huge no go and apparently I've got to get really creative with her proteins. Any ideas? Please help. I've spent hours and days looking up this disease but also today I began wondering if amino acid supplementation would be beneficial since there is a big protein deficit. Could amino acid supplements take the place of protein in large part? I know they are the building blocks but can they, taken the right way, make up protein with nothing else provided? May sound stupid but I'm desperate. I need to be able to encourage her and figure this out

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Have you tried Hemp protein in a shake? Some come with added fiber, some don't.

You can combine carbs to achieve complete proteins, such as brown rice and black beans.. I'm sure if you do research there are some that are less fibrous.

Quinoa is actually a fruit which contains complete proteins. Great food source if she can handle it.

Yes BCAAs will help. Can she do Ensure shakes? Often times they're used in therapeutic diets during hospital stays for protein supplementation.

Oh, and don't think your wife needs excessive protein like a lot of BBers. .5g-1g protein per lb of lean body mass should suffice, IMO.

Lil man is offline Associate Member
    Thank you for feedback. She has tried ensure and a couple of more. I think she has drank the slim fast with no problems as well. I just really had high hopes that she would be able to stay on such a well laid out plan. I put a lot of time into it. She was getting about .70 grams of protein per pound total weight. And her physique responded well but her GI didn't. Its so hard to put together a plan with no options on protein.

oscarjones is offline Banned
    You could also try using massive amounts of digestive enzymes, if she's not already taking one supplemental or prescribed.
    They are known to help break down foods so you don't run into that pandora's box type reaction.

Thread Information