BostonT is offline New Member

Need help with cutting diet.

Hi I am

5'9
    175lbs (I have lost 10lbs in the last month so far really just by upping my work out, so now I am looking to take the next step.)

I need help with my diet. I am just trying to get into good overall shape. I am not sure what my body fat is.

My diet right now is all over the place, although I do eat fairly healthy. Here is what I am thinking and hopefully you experts will help me tweak it.

wake up: Small bowl of cereal with skim milk and a banana. Is honey bunches of oats ok?
    mid morning: PB&J or granola bar. nature valley ok? Is Jam and PB ok? What kind of bread?
    lunch: iso pure protein shake
    mid afternoon: ???
    dinner: protein (chicken/steak/fish/pork) and salad or veggies like

I am trying not to eat carbs later in the day, as I would like to cut down on BF. But for dinner sometimes we will eat potatoes or rice. Is white rice a huge no-no? I need help with portions of what to eat, and I am sure I am missing a lot in my diet. So I am looking to you guys for help. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by BostonT; 07-08-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Also I should add that most of my workouts are after mid afternoon and before dinner. I can't be 100% with that because of the nature of my work. and I do tend to eat dinner kind of late. ~8pm again its unavoidable because of my work. And also I take the muscle pharm assault preworkout drink. everyday i work out. but i might switch to a different preworkout if there is something better out there.
    Last edited by BostonT; 06-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonT View Post
    Hi I am

5'9
    175lbs (I have lost 10lbs in the last month so far really just by upping my work out, so now I am looking to take the next step.)

I need help with my diet. I am just trying to get into good overall shape. I am not sure what my body fat is.
    Here is a picture...
    Attachment 123696

My diet right now is all over the place, although I do eat fairly healthy. Here is what I am thinking and hopefully you experts will help me tweak it.

wake up: Small bowl of cereal with skim milk and a banana. Is honey bunches of oats ok? - are you opposed to oatmeal? much cleaner carb and less sugars.
    mid morning: PB&J or granola bar. nature valley ok? Is Jam and PB ok? What kind of bread? - again both jam and nature valey have alot of sugars, try to read labels. Look for a lean protein here with a veggie since you had a good feeding of carbs for breakfast.
    lunch: iso pure protein shake - Thats not a meal ! If this is pre workout area- the last meal before workout, you will want some carbs( MEASURE THEM) and a lean protein source (fish, chicken etc)
    mid afternoon: if its post workout, use your shake here with some carbs, hopefully someone else will tell you more about this, but i usually eat some blue berrys wiht my shake
    dinner: protein (chicken/steak/fish/pork) and salad or veggies like

I am trying not to eat carbs later in the day, as I would like to cut down on BF. But for dinner sometimes we will eat potatoes or rice. Is white rice a huge no-no? I need help with portions of what to eat, and I am sure I am missing a lot in my diet. So I am looking to you guys for help. Thanks in advance!
    The no carbs at night works well for me since you dont need as much energy at night if your not doing alot, eat as much fiberous veggies as you want.

This is just my crack at your diet, and with what you gave me i dont have much to work with, there are some example diets in the stickies you should try to follow one of those and build your own diet using it. Im still a newbie at this as well im sure a more knowlegable member is going to help you out even more.
    White rice is definately not a no-go, but i prefer brown, portions are easy once you plan a diet with your fat/carb/protein and measure your food.
    Last edited by Ishallnocheatmyself; 06-10-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    i went ahead and grabbed a link for you incase you dont have a website gps ;D- Link to dieting 101 sticky, lots of good information here. http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...g#.T9VzVxHCmnk

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    boston welcome to the forum..

1. read stickies:
    a) dieting 101: cutting
    b) TDEE

2. get ur bf chekd (prob @15-16% IMO)

3. above diet is terrible and needs completely redoing

4. whats ur workout split? how much cardio u doing? when u doing the cardio? and how long u doing it?

I am in the process of reading the sticky posts.

I knew it needed re doing thats why I am here

My work out is...

Mon: Chest. at the end I run 1 mile usually between 7-8 minutes
    Tues: 1 mile warm up then plyo. (I do the Sparta 2.0 workout I found on mens fitness or something similar )
    Wed: Back and Shoulders. 1 mile run 7-8 min
    Thurs: Same as Tues
    Fri: Arms and abs then 1 mile
    Sat: Legs
    Sun: 2-5 mile jog.

Okay so I calculated my TDEE
    I am 5'9 174lbs 28 years old and I used the moderately active BMR X 1.55 formula. I used moderate because although I do physical activity pretty much 6-7 days a week, my work involves long hours (15+ hours sometimes) with moderate movement intermittent with a lot of sitting around.

Any way my TDEE came in at 2845 cal per day. Since I am cutting I am thinking a good starting point would be planning for 22-2300 cals a day? Am I on the right track? Should I go less, more?

Thread Information