lastactionhero is offline New Member

Please critique my diet. Trying to bulk!

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this website and currently I am trying to bulk.
    I have never used steroids and have decided I don't want to, I think I'm just gonna try to get there naturally. But I think these forums are great and wonder if you guys can give me some tips.

STATS

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 160 lbs
    bf% - 6-7%
    body type: somewhere between Ectomorph and a Mesomorph
    Experience: 1.5 years

Max bench: 195
    Max squat: 320
    Max deadlift: 350

My goal is to put on 15 lbs of solid muscle, so get up to 175.

Here is my diet:

Meal 1

4 Grade A extra large eggs (raw): 24g fat 0g carbs 28g protein
    two cups 2% milk: 10g fat 22g carbs 16g protein
    two packs oatmeal with water: 4g fat 28g carbs 4g protein
    1 banana: 0g fat 31g carbs 1g protein
    1 orange: 0g fat 22g carbs 2g protein

Meal 2

1/3 cup almonds: 15.5 g fat 7g carbs 6.5g protein
    1 scoop whey: 2g fat 8g carbs 26g protein

Meal 3

1 can Progresso chicken noodle soup: 5g fat 24g carbs 14g protein
    1 chicken breast: 4g fat 0g carbs 31g protein
    1 can tuna: 1g fat 0g carbs 25g protein

Meal 4

1 banana: 0g fat 31g carbs 1g protein

Meal 5

6oz lean steak 18g fat 0g carbs 42g protein
    1/2 cup brown rice 2g fat 70g carbs 16g protein

WORK OUT

PWO Shake

Meal 6 (PWO)
    Whole grain pasta: 1.5g fat 62g carbs 11g protein
    Pasta sauce: 1.5g fat 13g carbs 3g protein

TOTALS

FAT: 130.5
    CARBS: 400
    PROTEIN: 388.5

TOTAL CALORIES: 4328.5

%fat: 27%
    %carb: 37%
    %protein: 36%

SUPPLEMENTS
    5g creatine with Meal 1
    1 scoop Jack3d before workout

Should I be drinking 2% milk? Should I just go skim because the added fat is pointless or is it better for the extra calories?

Thanks for all the help!

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Your daily calorie intake is WAY OVER your TDEE.

Only because you want to bulk doesn't mean your daily calorie intake should be (roughly) 1200 calories over your TDEE, you will get fat sooner than you think if you start following this nutritional regimen so HEADS UP.

As for macros; 388gr protein is simply excessive for your current BW, especially considering that you are not on gear currently. I have similar BW and I won't go over 300gr of protein a day even when I juice with 1000gr of Test every week, that's just a ridiculous amount for you. You do NOT need more than 2gr per pound of lean body mass (BW minus fat weight) when you are a natural, and as a matter of fact, some guys won't go over this number even when they are on gear. Your daily caloric intake from fats and carbs are also too high, I don't see why you would need more than 300gr of carbs and 90gr of fat at your current stats, you will still bulk with these numbers.

As for your food... Get rid of all the simple sugars, including fruit, and do NOT eat your eggs raw. Ditch the chicken noodle soup, it is probably loaded with sodium and you are getting processed carbs from it. Ditch pasta and replace it with either brown rice, yams or lentils. 2% milk has better alternatives such as skimmed, but you will still be getting simple sugars from that (lactose, and it's pretty useless), I would recommend unsweetened almond milk which has next to zero carbs. On a last note, you should be eating vegetables.

Take your Creatine post-workout. Take the same dose on non-training days in the morning, preferably on empty stomach with a large glass of water at room temp.

Also keep in mind that gaining 15 lbs of lean muscle tissue is a very hard task for an ecto who is natural, unless he is going through puberty... You have to constantly lift hard & heavy to attain this goal, as diet will only accomplish a part of this. Introducing several compound exercises into your training regimen and progressively working up the weights is highly recommended.
    Last edited by Turkish Juicer; 06-05-2012 at 11:42 AM.

lastactionhero is offline New Member
    Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try and work more veggies into my diet.

However, a couple questions: Why is it bad to eat eggs raw?

Also: I'm typically a hard gainer. Switching to skim milk will put me under 4k, but that's still too much? I've always thought: If I'm not gaining weight, then i need to eat more.

Exercise wise I usually lift 4-5 days a week and I always concentrate on heavy weight low reps. Usually 5 sets of 5, or sets of 3-4, or sometimes work up to my max (this is for compound exercise like deads, bench, squat). I mix it up as well though

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Your daily calorie intake is WAY OVER your TDEE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post

Only because you want to bulk doesn't mean your daily calorie intake should be (roughly) 1200 calories over your TDEE, you will get fat sooner than you think if you start following this nutritional regimen so HEADS UP.

As for macros; 388gr protein is simply excessive for your current BW, especially considering that you are not on gear currently. I have similar BW and I won't go over 300gr of protein a day even when I juice with 1000gr of Test every week, that's just a ridiculous amount for you. You do NOT need more than 2gr per pound of lean body mass (BW minus fat weight) when you are a natural, and as a matter of fact, some guys won't go over this number even when they are on gear. Your daily caloric intake from fats and carbs are also too high, I don't see why you would need more than 300gr of carbs and 90gr of fat at your current stats, you will still bulk with these numbers.

As for your food... Get rid of all the simple sugars, including fruit, and do NOT eat your eggs raw. Ditch the chicken noodle soup, it is probably loaded with sodium and you are getting processed carbs from it. Ditch pasta and replace it with either brown rice, yams or lentils. 2% milk has better alternatives such as skimmed, but you will still be getting simple sugars from that (lactose, and it's pretty useless), I would recommend unsweetened almond milk which has next to zero carbs. On a last note, you should be eating vegetables.

Take your Creatine post-workout. Take the same dose on non-training days in the morning, preferably on empty stomach with a large glass of water at room temp.

Also keep in mind that gaining 15 lbs of lean muscle tissue is a very hard task for an ecto who is natural, unless he is going through puberty... You have to constantly lift hard & heavy to attain this goal, as diet will only accomplish a part of this. Introducing several compound exercises into your training regimen and progressively working up the weights is highly recommended.
    He's 6% bf apparently, do you think he gives a flying fvck about gaining some fat? Let him eat his ass off and grow...

JohnnnyBlazzze is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastactionhero View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try and work more veggies into my diet.

However, a couple questions: Why is it bad to eat eggs raw?

Also: I'm typically a hard gainer. Switching to skim milk will put me under 4k, but that's still too much? I've always thought: If I'm not gaining weight, then i need to eat more.

Exercise wise I usually lift 4-5 days a week and I always concentrate on heavy weight low reps. Usually 5 sets of 5, or sets of 3-4, or sometimes work up to my max (this is for compound exercise like deads, bench, squat). I mix it up as well though
    When you eat eggs raw you risk the chances of getting Salmonella. Cooking your eggs at the right temperature can help kill the bacterium. As long as you cook it your eggs above 150 degrees you will be fine.

Making this as simply as possible, just cook your eggs and you will be fine.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzer View Post
    [B]

He's 6% bf apparently, do you think he gives a flying fvck about gaining some fat? Let him eat his ass off and grow...
    Are you for real?

Did you even read the points I made in my post?

OP says he won't be cycling and he is not going through puberty either, so what's the point of eating 390gr of protein ED?

Do you think his liver will magically synthesize all that excessive protein into lean tissue only because he has low BF%?

thex95 is offline Senior Member
    [B]

lol that's like saying hes 6% bf, why not let him eat a stick of butter. Or hes 6% bf why not let him eat pizza all day. Just because he is lean now doesn't mean he should put on fat. Hes in a good position to start a lean bulk without gaining fat.

Bulking without fat gain > bulking with fat.

Quote Originally Posted by thex95 View Post
    lol that's like saying hes 6% bf, why not let him eat a stick of butter. Or hes 6% bf why not let him eat pizza all day. Just because he is lean now doesn't mean he should put on fat. Hes in a good position to start a lean bulk without gaining fat.

Bulking without fat gain > bulking with fat.
    He should be eating as much as he can, as long as he's getting sufficient amount of protein in. He has a very small frame. Force feeding is the way to go for him. It sounds like the OP would much rather be 200-210lbs at 10% bf than 160lbs at 6%......Am I right OP?

thex95 is offline Senior Member
    He should be eating as much as he can, as long as he's getting sufficient amount of protein in. He has a very small frame. Force feeding is the way to go for him. It sounds like the OP would much rather be 200-210lbs at 10% bf than 160lbs at 6%......Am I right OP?
    are you for real man?? thats terrible advice. Who would want to put on 1 lb of muscle for every 8 lbs of fat? Force feeding will lead to tons of fat gains. Anyone can get fat, pretty sure the OP wants to gain muscle, not a ton of fat.

Quote Originally Posted by thex95 View Post
    are you for real man?? thats terrible advice. Who would want to put on 1 lb of muscle for every 8 lbs of fat? Force feeding will lead to tons of fat gains. Anyone can get fat, pretty sure the OP wants to gain muscle, not a ton of fat.
    the fvcking guy is naturally LEAN. It's not like we're talking about some jerk off whose sitting at 18% bf. I put on a 100lbs in 4 years by eating tons and tons of food, forcing myself to almost throwing up...My bf% may have went up 4-5% and I am NOT naturally lean.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    To me, it's black and white. Building muscle doesn't require much above TDEE. A few hundred calories will do for most. Anything beyond that will just be stored as bodyfat and/or wasted. The 'more is better' philosophy doesn't apply in BBing, IMO, at least where making lean gains is concerned.

I understand what Bronzer is saying however. If the OP doesn't mind potentially adding some bodyfat, then I'd say eat more (I wouldn't suggest force feeding or eating anything/everything however) than you think you need - i.e. a few hundred calories over TDEE is usually all it takes, but why potentially shortchange yourself? At the expense of a few BF% points, add as much muscle as possible (i.e. KNOW you're eating more than enough), then taper down once BF had reached the predetermined threshold (e.g. 10%). The key here is paying strict attention and adjusting as necessary.

Thread Information