castiron is offline Associate Member

last meal of the day

what do you think the best last meal of the day should consist of. I am a firm believer in last meals being only protein. Alot of guys are saying that there should be some carbs in there though. I think that the carbs just turn into wasted energy. I also think that cardio in the morning should be carb depleted to burn fat, which would be more likely if the last meal you had was only protein. What do you think?

JohnnnyBlazzze is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Who has been telling you to eat carbs in your last meal? If your main goal is to lower BF% I would not include carbs in the later meals.

To answer your question though I prefer 1% cottage cheese or some tuna with EVOO. I also sometimes have 2tbsp of natty pb. Anything with casein or slow digesting is a good selection.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by castiron View Post
    what do you think the best last meal of the day should consist of. I am a firm believer in last meals being only protein.
    Why?

Alot of guys are saying that there should be some carbs in there though.
    Depends on the goal, IMO. When 'bulking', yes. When I cut, I drop carbs earlier in the day.

I think that the carbs just turn into wasted energy.
    Why do you think the energy would be wasted? Excess calories are 'wasted' (more accurately, stored as body fat), but proper caloric intake and the demand for recovery due to training will not result in 'wasted' energy.

I think that cardio in the morning should be carb depleted to burn fat, which would be more likely if the last meal you had was only protein. What do you think?
    Agreed, in part. However your goal will dictate your diet, and cardio schedule as far as i'm concerned. If you're doing am cardio, I assume you're primary goal is to reduce bodyfat. That being the case, i'd stick with no carbs before bed, but would have a substantial meal, e.g. beef - a good combo of protein and fat. Even cottage cheese with a tbsp of natty PB, add some fish oil caps (not into the food lol) and you're gtg.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 06-22-2012 at 08:28 AM.

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    My favorite last meal:
    Protein Pudding/Ice cream.. You can find it in the recipe section thanks to GB

^^ I forgot about that one!! I guess i'll have to go look it up to remember how I made it, lol!

When not IF'ing, my current pre-bed meal is usually:

1/2 cup 1% milkfat, no salt added cottage cheese - large curd
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Myofusion tastes great in this meal)
    1 packet splenda
    'splash' of skim milk or fat free half and half
    1tbsp natty pb (I prefer Smucker's Natural, Chunky) - swirled in but not mixed thoroughly.

Love it!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^ I forgot about that one!! I guess i'll have to go look it up to remember how I made it, lol!

When not IF'ing, my current pre-bed meal is usually:

1/2 cup 1% milkfat, no salt added cottage cheese - large curd1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Myofusion tastes great in this meal)
    1 packet splenda
    'splash' of skim milk or fat free half and half
    1tbsp natty pb (I prefer Smucker's Natural, Chunky) - swirled in but not mixed thoroughly.

Love it!
    i wondered why they made large curd.. i suppose for u GB personally i dont like it.. i suppose if u blend it it doesnt matter..??

also my pre bed meal ranges from cottage cheese and natty PB to an omelette (all when cutting) to a whole recipe of slimmer me's oatmeal pancakes (of which i love with blueberries.. my new favorite meal) <<--- when not cutting

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    i wondered why they made large curd.. i suppose for u GB personally i dont like it.. i suppose if u blend it it doesnt matter..??
    lol, actually, I don't like it either - except for this particular meal. The large curd that I get is much 'wetter', so I have to use much less milk/half and half to get it to the consistency I like. Other than that, I prefer small curd. For me, it actually does matter when I blend it - I prefer the small curd... seems to blend to a much smoother creamier texture - the large curd just kind of breaks up.

I think its just the way my body reacts, if i eat carbs before bed, I wake up bloated.

Im looking for lean muscle, If im not going to be using the energy right away, then why put it into my body as a carb. Which brings me to another question. How long do most carbs last in your system. I think simple sugars last less than an hour, carbs like rice and potatoes, may last a couple hours, and complex carbs like whole grain stuff may last for several hours? Do you know the answer. If we can determine the length of time the carbs stay in your body as energy before turning to fat, then we could maybe determine what to eat if you know how long you are going to sleep?

Yes Im a fatass, Im always trying to cut. you figured me out. LOL

disreguard dbl post
    Last edited by castiron; 06-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.

eastcoast112 is offline Junior Member
    Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what is a good last meal of the day while bulking? (that isnt cottage cheese)

I think its just the way my body reacts, if i eat carbs before bed, I wake up bloated.
    Don't feel bad, lots of people do. Could be your choice of carbs.

Im looking for lean muscle, If im not going to be using the energy right away, then why put it into my body as a carb.
    Do you think the sole purpose of carbs is for them to be used as immediate energy? What about tissue repair? Glycogen replenishment? The hundreds of other bodily functions that are powered by glucose?

Furthermore... we have evolved over millions of years to be energy storage machines. We weren't necessarily meant to use food as an immediate energy source. Bodyfat isn't the only means by which our bodies store unused energy... and that's assuming the energy is in fact unused.

Which brings me to another question. How long do most carbs last in your system. I think simple sugars last less than an hour, carbs like rice and potatoes, may last a couple hours, and complex carbs like whole grain stuff may last for several hours? Do you know the answer.
    Different answer for everybody. Suffice it to say sugars are very fast, white carb sources are slower but still relatively fast, and more complex carbs like sweet potato, brown rice, etc. are even slower. But how often are you eating any of these alone? Any carb source paired with a protein and/or fat will have it's digestion and assimilation time altered. Similar process as with glycemic load - google it.

If we can determine the length of time the carbs stay in your body as energy before turning to fat, then we could maybe determine what to eat if you know how long you are going to sleep?
    Personally, I think you're looking WAY to deep into it. It's simple enough. Come up with a plan. Post it here for opinions if you wish. Implement said plan. Be consistent. Monitor your progress over a period of time. Gaining fat? Change 1 variable at a time (e.g. stop eating carbs in the evening) - rinse, and repeat. There is no other way to dial in a good diet other than trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast112 View Post
    Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what is a good last meal of the day while bulking? (that isnt cottage cheese)
    Any protein source other than straight whey protein, IMO. Eggs, Fish, Beef, Chicken, Turkey.... etc. etc. etc.

Thread Information