castiron is offline Associate Member

do you count green veg in your macros?

should you count green veg into macros or can i eat as much broccoli, asparagus, spinach, etc. that i want?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Green stuff, no. Unless its peas then I would. The amount of cals are so low and amount of fibre do high that there'll be a negligible impact.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

jpowell is offline Banned
    Also u can use caluiflower! Steamed is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

fatman225 is offline Associate Member
    I've been losing a lot of fat lately, and I do not count calories from vegetables themselves.

I do COUNT the calories of any flavor additions made to them. For example, if butter is on the vegies, it certainly counts.

AXx
    AXx is offline AR's hose draggin' post whore~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Roger that, I don't count them either steamed broccoli is one of my favorites.

Persistence2012 is offline Junior Member
    Green veg's or rather esp. dark green veg are primarily consumed for micronutrients.
    That said if you're looking to venture outside of green veg's, id recommend counting the calories in some cases, but most definitely the sugar intake.

Also on a side note, if you intend to consume in rather large portions than what an average person would, then yes I would.

I personally love green/dark green veg as it makes cutting so easy, and yet keeps me full

Persistence2012 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Js View Post
    Roger that, I don't count them either steamed broccoli is one of my favorites.
    From my limited understanding, never "steam" so to speak your veggie's as it denatures (i.e. kills) the vital ezynmes in them (minerals and other nutrients).

What i personally do is let moderately hot water run over it (and this is for all my veggie's) for about 30 secs, and then consume it.

You could LIGHTLY steam it without any repercussions, but then again, the process of filling pot with water, waiting for light steam, draining water, and then washing dishes would make me quite agitated just for the consumption of 100g of broccoli. =)

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    if you want to do it right, you should consider everything you eat

AXx
    AXx is offline AR's hose draggin' post whore~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Persistence2012

From my limited understanding, never "steam" so to speak your veggie's as it denatures (i.e. kills) the vital ezynmes in them (minerals and other nutrients).

What i personally do is let moderately hot water run over it (and this is for all my veggie's) for about 30 secs, and then consume it.

You could LIGHTLY steam it without any repercussions, but then again, the process of filling pot with water, waiting for light steam, draining water, and then washing dishes would make me quite agitated just for the consumption of 100g of broccoli. =)
    I actually put them in a microwave safe bowl, put 3 tablespoons of water in the bowl, cover it with a papertowell and plate, and set it for 30-45 sec.

I know what you mean about "killing" the enzymes and sorts. Maybe the way I do it doesn't kill it that bad. : )

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    depends on what effect your on track for ...

i think if your bulking or maintaining its no worry, but if looking for reduction/fast shred esp if the reduction is focused on the intake rather than working out than YES greens count

... and certainly if on like a keto or IP plan...alotta people are confused on veggies/fruits/berries and the chemistry of cooking affecting the sugar complexity (h3ll I just learned something new last month and it made a difference) it can blow off a keto if they are eating alot of cooked onions and cooked peppers thinking these are safe filler foods.
    BUT than again, even on a weight loss plan they will make no real difference if the person is subing junk food for greens (like weight watchers now no longer counts greens in the point system, clients can eat all they want all day BUT the majority of clients dont even know what veggies are unless they come on their pizza) so yea no real affect in that case...more so in the case of a person already eating pretty healthy but having to be more awear of sugar/carb/fat/cals consumed within their healthy eating and make cuts

I have to watch and cut, miss onions the most but scallions are a d@mn good sub ...just takes getting used to

Thread Information