thex95 is offline Senior Member

Why does everybody have a hate on for bread?

Just curious what peoples reasons on here are for avoiding bread? Personally I have a whole wheat bagel in the morning for my carbs, and sometimes whole wheat bread later in the day. I am not trying to defend bread, I probably shouldn't be taking it in for some reason, just curious why?

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Simple answer is that the more processed a food is the higher it's glycemic value is. Meaning it spikes insulin levels more so than say rolled oats would as a carb source.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    I eat bread all the time.

Ppl forget that that glycemic load is the entire meal.

So add in some lean protien, and slow digesting healthy fats with your bread... and youre good.

Sliced steak and some avocado on my bread is so gooooood.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    take a big bite of bread and chew slowly for 20 seconds. what do you taste? you taste sweet because it has already turned to sugar

Cronos1247 is offline New Member
    I usually have 5-6 pieces of bread a day, just depends on my numbers for that meal/day. Granted I opt for whole wheat or stone ground wheat, Ezekiel, etc.

Hasn't had any negative effect on my gains personally.

fatman225 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thex95 View Post
    Just curious what peoples reasons on here are for avoiding bread? Personally I have a whole wheat bagel in the morning for my carbs, and sometimes whole wheat bread later in the day. I am not trying to defend bread, I probably shouldn't be taking it in for some reason, just curious why?
    Not everyone does avoid carbs.

While its not exactly bread, pasta is another carb some people have a phobia about.

I just had 1 cup of cooked pasta with 1 cup heavy meat spaghetti sauce. Total cals is 700 high end estimate.

That is part of the thing is portion size. I actually measure out the amount of anything I eat. I only eat high GI carbs for a shorter portion of the day, 5 hour feeding widow.

This way, even if I get an Insulin spike, it does not last all day long.

I think part of what leads to Insulin resistance is folks having high Insulin from elevated sugars very frequently.

Also, even low levels of elevated Insulin slow down fat loss, so far as I know, and so chronic low level elevation seems to hamper fat loss.

This is my first time having success with cutting, and using a 5 hour feeding window has helped me shed over 40 pounds, while at the same time actually getting a little stronger in the gym.

DanB is offline Banned
    If I was doing a strict cut I would prob try avoid it, although I dont know how much a difference in real world a slice or two a day would actually do

But normally I eat a few slices a day, tuna mayo, chicken sandwich, tear a few toasted slices up and throw into a salad, I usually stick to that 50/50 white wholewheat variety but thats just taste preference and would eat white, wholewheat or brown without any worries
    Last edited by DanB; 07-03-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Atomini is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    take a big bite of bread and chew slowly for 20 seconds. what do you taste? you taste sweet because it has already turned to sugar
    'Kay, i'll just swallow my bread whole.

The loaf, I mean. Might start doing that with pizza too.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100

thex95 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart View Post
    OHHHHH!!!!! They avoid it because it is truly pure evil lol

traindude is offline Junior Member
    I love it.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Potato Bread is the best IMO

HCL
    HCL is offline New Member
    1. If you have calculated your macros and micros, try to meet them - that is priority!

2. Forget about the glycemic index if you are a healthy individual.

3. Added sugars are fine until they take up to 20% of your daily kcals from carbs. (bread is NOT added sugar)

4.nutrient timing is not a priority and has no impact on body recomposition, ( 90% of the time and in most gymrat cases )

So, eat your bread if by doin so you dont overdo your macros / underdo your micros.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    I'll never try to avoid my Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain loaf of goodness.

Thread Information