RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!

body recomp and/or cutting?

what is the difference in the two? are they the same thing?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    cajun i think recomp includes cutting as gaining LBM..

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    cajun i think recomp includes cutting as gaining LBM..
    gotcha. that is what i was thinking, just wasn't quite sure. thanks!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Recomp involves pretty much staying te same weight, losing fat and gaining some lbm. Going for it RC?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Recomp involves pretty much staying te same weight, losing fat and gaining some lbm. Going for it RC?
    after my 3 week bender, it is time to move on. i still have some fat to lose but i am starting to see where my top two abs are going to be! both of my rotator cuffs are shot so trying to strenghthen them back up. what do you think stem? i am at 172ish lbs now and feeling like i need to put on some muscle.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    What's your current bf? 15ish? If so, a recomp is a great idea.

Oh, and only a 3 week bender this time
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    What's your current bf? 15ish? If so, a recomp is a great idea.

Oh, and only a 3 week bender this time
    yeah only 3 weeks but i think i burned out my kidneys and liver! HA! not at 15% yet so i guess cutting still it is. i think i am going to go try a carb cycle diet and see if i can stick to it (which is my hardest thing!) i think my current BF is at 18-19% with most of my fat in my chest, stomach, and back.

fatman225 is offline Associate Member
    I thing "recomp" is just a Bro-nickname for gaining muscle while you take off fat.

Something that IS actually possible, but it depends how much fat there is. Its different going from 8% to 4%, than it is coming down from 18%.

When there is excess fat, you can gain muscle while losing that fat.

Its not secret that it takes a surplus of calories to gain muscle, but I have not seen proof that those calories need to come in through your mouth as you lose fat.

YOu do need calories to come from somewhere, as well as protein etc... Well, you don't store extra protein, except in your muscles, but you cannot take away from X just to add back to X. So you need to eat enough protein for that.

Then you need calories to be available from somewhere.

IF you have plenty of extra sitting around your love handles and belly, well there they are when you need them. You may only eat 1600 of them, but if your body needs more, then it can just take it from fat to use as fuel.

That process will halt building muscle when there is not any excess fat to burn, as then the extra calories come from protein, and even your muscles themselves. This is why its dificult for a guy who is already lean to build muscle and cut at the same time.

That is also why there are obese people who manage to lose a lot of bodyfat, and gain muscle at the same time. They got plenty of extra calories stored already.

Now, I do not know the minimum limit of bodyfat for it, it likely varies per genetics, and my guess is somewhere around 10-12% bodyfat you got to either focus on maintaining bodyfat while building muscle, OR cutting as both at the same time becomes increaingly unlikely as the bodyfat% gets lower.

When you are 18% bodyfat, for example, sure you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

That is unless you got other factors working against you, such as being close to genetic limit for natural muscle size etc... So there are lots of things that factor into weather its possible.

If a guy who is already 6% bodyfat tries to build more muscle as he loses the fat, I think he would end up going one way or the other, but not both.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Cutting generally entails all the focus on losing bodyfat. It's expected that SOME LBM and/or strength loss will occur, although this can be mitigated to a great degree with proper diet and training techniques.

Recomp is a slow process which entails slowly adding lean body mass, while slowly reducing bodyfat. Generally cycles a growth phase with a cutting phase (usually via carb/calorie cycling).

Unless you have a lot of body fat to lose (20% +) OR are very lean and looking to get super lean, i'd go with a recomp.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Cutting generally entails all the focus on losing bodyfat. It's expected that SOME LBM and/or strength loss will occur, although this can be mitigated to a great degree with proper diet and training techniques.

Recomp is a slow process which entails slowly adding lean body mass, while slowly reducing bodyfat. Generally cycles a growth phase with a cutting phase (usually via carb/calorie cycling).

Unless you have a lot of body fat to lose (20% +) OR are very lean and looking to get super lean, i'd go with a recomp.
    i am looking to get as lean as i possibly can

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    If you want it sooner rather than later, then you'd probably want to go with a straight cut. Be prepared to adjust if strength and/or LBM plummet. Like I said, a BIT is par for the course, but you shouldn't be shriveling down to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    If you want it sooner rather than later, then you'd probably want to go with a straight cut. Be prepared to adjust if strength and/or LBM plummet. Like I said, a BIT is par for the course, but you shouldn't be shriveling down to nothing.
    thanks, i feel like i am shriveling but i have been a fat husky kid my whole life. i want to see where i can go with this!

Thread Information