dogtags is offline Associate Member

Calorie deficiet by exercise, diet or both?

im using a app to track my calories (MyNetDiary Pro), it has a section to put in how many calories i want to consume in a day, and it totals up the calories from food i get in a day. It also uses exercise(if i put it in) to adjust the difference.

For example

I want to maintain 2400 calories a day(calculated from my TDEE-20% less calories to lose fat)
    I eat 2400 calories but do 400 calories worth of exercise leaving me at 2000 calories.
    So it recommend i eat 400 more calories (daily total of 2800 calories)

I calculated my TDEE as Moderate exercise(3-5 hours of exercise, gym and light cardio).

What should I do?
    -Not input the exercise i do in the app
    OR
    -Calculate my TDEE as someone with a desk job minus the 20% to lose fat and track my activity with the app(the app seems more accurate s far as amount of calories i burn on a daily basis, since i input specific exercises(I.E light jogging, or resistance training for 30 mins) instead of a very general statement of "3-5 hours a week of exercise"

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    TDEE is just that - TOTAL daily energy expenditure. As such, it takes into account exercise along with everything else as part of the equation. The exercise putting you at a 400 calorie deficit from 2400 calories should have already been calculated into the TDEE in the form of 'moderately active'

Hope this helps.

dogtags is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    TDEE is just that - TOTAL daily energy expenditure. As such, it takes into account exercise along with everything else as part of the equation. The exercise putting you at a 400 calorie deficit from 2400 calories should have already been calculated into the TDEE in the form of 'moderately active'

Hope this helps.
    It did, thank you!

Thread Information