Ben_66 is offline Junior Member

Thinking of Carb Cycling

Hello,

I'm wanting to get to 8% body fat, From reading information ''405'' info on Carb cycling seems like a good idea.

I was thinking of doing a 3 low and one 1 high.

Anybody have experience with carb cycling? if yes how was it? how long do you do it for?

Thanks,

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    obviously i highly recommend it!

from what ive read by a smart guy who knows his stuff the best way to run a carb cycle is 8weeks on, 2 weeks maintenance. (repeat if necessary). this 2week break will allow ur body to recover from the 8week cycle and also help u stay more efficient in ur fatburning during the cycle.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I ran 3 moderate carb days, 3 low carb days (fibrous veggies only), and 1 high carb day. I did not cycle weeks as the days are cyclic to begin with. The single high carb day was enough for me to recover and promote new fat loss in the week ahead. There are many ways to design a carb cycle diet.

Also note it's not just about carb cycling. If you really want to make it efficient, I would recommend developing a workout routine that compliments your carb cycle. e.g. my heavier lifts took place on moderate carb days, and I did cardio intensive depletive workouts on the low/no carb days. My high carb day was a complete rest day, to allow maximum recovery and glycogen replenishment.

Thanks ''405'' 8 weeks with 2 week maintenance sounds awesome! I read a lot of your post ''very informative'' thank you!

Gbrice: I like how your week was organized and not having to cycle.

My work out consist of:

Mon: Chest/tric/
    Tues: Back/Bic/Abs
    Wed: off/HIIT?
    Thu: Shoulders/Traps/
    Fri: Legs/abs
    Sat: off
    Sun: off

I'm going to put 3-4 HIIT on treadmill a week. I have everything planed out (diet, workout,) i'm not sure when to do my cardio or cycle the carbs. I like the 7 day cyclic but I dont think it will work with my workouts.

On your low carb day, do you have any kind of carb pre or post WO?

^^ not sure if you're asking me or 405, but my answer is no - the purpose of the low carb days is glycogen depletion to maximize fat loss. We wouldn't be able to accomplish this if we were to eat carbs.

The best cardio i've found is 45 mins moderate intensity steady state am cardio in a fasted state, then 30-40 mins of mixed cardio (HIIT plus some moderate intensity stuff) PWO (obviously in the fed state).

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^ not sure if you're asking me or 405, but my answer is no - the purpose of the low carb days is glycogen depletion to maximize fat loss. We wouldn't be able to accomplish this if we were to eat carbs.

The best cardio i've found is 45 mins moderate intensity steady state am cardio in a fasted state, then 30-40 mins of mixed cardio (HIIT plus some moderate intensity stuff) PWO (obviously in the fed state).
    I was asking you Gbrice, Thank you! makes sense for sure.

For my split. I'm going to have low carb days on workouts. after a workout I was going to take 2 scoops of whey and dextrose.

I have cut out all fruits and dairy from my diet and have dextrose only for PWO.

^^x2. on "NO" starch on low carb days (which is veggie only IMO) u eat just that - veggies only. currently on my 3 low carb days i get 55g carbs (34g of which is fiber which nets me 21g carbs).

i also do 45mins moderate cardio 4x per week while cycling carbs. am fasted. occasional HIIT...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_66 View Post

For my split. I'm going to have low carb days on workouts. after a workout I was going to take 2 scoops of whey and dextrose.

I have cut out all fruits and dairy from my diet and have dextrose only for PWO.
    the purpose of low carb days is to deplete muscle glycogen. this will force ur body to burn fat for fuel. it takes a fair amt of work to accomplish this (glycogen depletion). around 10-12sets per major bodypart at 15reps per set.. 2secs on negative side of the rep, 1sec on the positive side of the rep

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    ^^x2. on "NO" starch on low carb days (which is veggie only IMO) u eat just that - veggies only. currently on my 3 low carb days i get 55g carbs (34g of which is fiber which nets me 21g carbs).

i also do 45mins moderate cardio 4x per week while cycling carbs. am fasted. occasional HIIT...
    Thanks! I'm excited to start this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo7.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	124477 here is a pic i'm trying to get to 8% I think I'm at 12% right now.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    the purpose of low carb days is to deplete muscle glycogen. this will force ur body to burn fat for fuel. it takes a fair amt of work to accomplish this (glycogen depletion). around 10-12sets per major bodypart at 15reps per set.. 2secs on negative side of the rep, 1sec on the positive side of the rep
    Crazy! I also incorporate a rest pause set in my workouts.

Thanks for replying

Why dextrose? Seems silly to me to cut out fruit which is at least a natural source of sugar, only to purposely consume sugar in the form of dextrose. If you're dead set on simple carbs PWO (I wouldn't be btw, especially on a cut), i'd go with the fruit any day over dextrose.

Thanks! I'm excited to start this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo7.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	124477 here is a pic i'm trying to get to 8% I think I'm at 12% right now.
    You're lower than 12% bro. 10% tops - you just look like you're holding some water. So, you have less to go than you think!

Cool thanks, That's exactly what I wanted to know! SO lets say for a low day, you would recommend for a pwo whey with a fruit?

Cool thanks, That's exactly what I wanted to know! SO lets say for a low day, you would recommend for a pwo whey with a fruit?
    No. For a low day, i'd recommend no starchy or simple carbs. I'd stick with fibrous veggies only. Again, if you're eating carbs with any considerable caloric value (i.e. starchy complex or simple), you're not going to be able to deplete glycogen stores.

If you want to incorporate fruit, do so on your moderate days and/or high day (depending on how you plan to cycle) and even then, i'd keep fruits focused around my workout window.

No. For a low day, i'd recommend no starchy or simple carbs. I'd stick with fibrous veggies only. Again, if you're eating carbs with any considerable caloric value (i.e. starchy complex or simple), you're not going to be able to deplete glycogen stores.

If you want to incorporate fruit, do so on your moderate days and/or high day (depending on how you plan to cycle) and even then, i'd keep fruits focused around my workout window.
    Gbrice I really appreciate it answering my question.

only a couple more if you don't mind?

My work out will be Mon/Tue off Thu/Fri off off. I can incorporate my cardio around anytime.

What would you recommend as a cycle for this? I was thinking of doing 3 low 3 mod 1 high.

Gbrice I really appreciate it answering my question.

only a couple more if you don't mind?

My work out will be Mon/Tue off Thu/Fri off off. I can incorporate my cardio around anytime.

What would you recommend as a cycle for this? I was thinking of doing 3 low 3 mod 1 high.
    You can still follow something similar to mine with this schedule. My Wednesday's weren't off days, but often enough they were light workouts like abs, etc. So no worries.

Monday - workout - moderate
    Tuesday - workout - moderate
    Wednesday - off - moderate (cardio on this day though!!)
    Thursday - workout - low
    Friday - workout - low
    Saturday - off - low (cardio again!!!)
    Sunday - off - high (complete rest day)

Easy enough really.

You can still follow something similar to mine with this schedule. My Wednesday's weren't off days, but often enough they were light workouts like abs, etc. So no worries.

Monday - workout - moderate
    Tuesday - workout - moderate
    Wednesday - off - moderate (cardio on this day though!!)
    Thursday - workout - low
    Friday - workout - low
    Saturday - off - low (cardio again!!!)
    Sunday - off - high (complete rest day)

Easy enough really.
    Exactly what I was thinking! Thanks so much Gbrice!

I'm also going to do cardio on Mon.

One last question and that should be it lol.

For your moderate day of carb: I eat 6-8 meals a day.

would you go all carb in beginning of day. or spread them out during the day.

Ex: -1st meal pro/carb
    2nd pro/fat
    3rd pro/carb
    4th pro/fat
    ect..

or 1rst pro/carb
    2nd pro/carb
    3rd pro/carb
    4th pro/fat
    5th pro/fat
    6th pro/fat

Any advice?

My moderate days were:

Meal 1: preworkout (carbs)

Meal 2: postworkout (carbs)

Meal 3: carbs

Meal 4: no carbs

Meal 5: no carbs

Meal 6: no carbs

It worked out nicely for me because my workouts fell in the morning. If you workout any other time of day, i'd suggest a carb meal first thing in the morning (after fasted cardio though, if you plan to do it), and then a pre and post workout carb meal no matter when the workout falls. Example:

Meal 1: carb

Meal 2: no carb

Meal 3: no carb

Meal 4: preworkout (carbs)

Meal 5: post workout (carbs)

You get the picture.

My moderate days were:

Meal 1: preworkout (carbs)

Meal 2: postworkout (carbs)

Meal 3: carbs

Meal 4: no carbs

Meal 5: no carbs

It worked out nicely for me because my workouts fell in the morning. If you workout any other time of day, i'd suggest a carb meal first thing in the morning (after fasted cardio though, if you plan to do it), and then a pre and post workout carb meal no matter when the workout falls. Example:

Meal 1: carb

Meal 2: no carb

Meal 3: no carb

Meal 4: preworkout (carbs)

Meal 5: post workout (carbs)

You get the picture.
    Yeah I'm the same way, I work out in the morning this is going to workout perfectly.

I started yesterday on the low carb and today is my second day of low carb day. I worked out this morning and it was really draining. I have to go to work soon I almost feel like calling in sick. Obviously the first week is going to be like this because my body is adjusting right? (btw i'm on my 2 second week of pct of that makes any different)

and tomorrow I plan on doing fasted cardio first thing in the morning but I feel like I won't have the energy. Should I still push through it or wait till my body gets used to it? I'm looking forward to Sunday...

Damn, I didn't know you were in PCT. I would strongly recommend against any type of cutting / calorie restricted diet right now. You want to keep as much of your gains as possible. You need to do everything you can to maintain an anabolic environment. Cutting isn't going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_66 View Post
    yeah i'm the same way, i work out in the morning this is going to workout perfectly.

I started yesterday on the low carb and today is my second day of low carb day. I worked out this morning and it was really draining. I have to go to work soon i almost feel like calling in sick. Obviously the first week is going to be like this because my body is adjusting right? (btw i'm on my 2 second week of pct of that makes any different)

and tomorrow i plan on doing fasted cardio first thing in the morning but i feel like i won't have the energy. Should i still push through it or wait till my body gets used to it? I'm looking forward to sunday...
    ruh roh shaggy! Good thing u mentioned that!

Thank you friends..

But I'm still going through it. I have been trying to get to 8% forever and I can't seem to lose those last little bit of fat. My diet has always consist of the 40/40/20, and cut out complex carbs before supper.

My cycle was a short 6 weeks for strength (short esters). I was suppose to fight (i'm a kickboxer and wanted to have more power but stay at the same weight class which I accomplish) but my fight got cancel so I'm focused to lose that BF%. This cycle was not focused on mass.

I'm on day 3 of low carb day I can already see a differents in my abs. I have not lost strength yet...

My only concern would be losing whole amount strength. Will this diet cause this?

Thank you friends..

But I'm still going through it. I have been trying to get to 8% forever and I can't seem to lose those last little bit of fat. My diet has always consist of the 40/40/20, and cut out complex carbs before supper.

My cycle was a short 6 weeks for strength (short esters). I was suppose to fight (i'm a kickboxer and wanted to have more power but stay at the same weight class which I accomplish) but my fight got cancel so I'm focused to lose that BF%. This cycle was not focused on mass.

I'm on day 3 of low carb day I can already see a differents in my abs. I have not lost strength yet...

My only concern would be losing whole amount strength. Will this diet cause this?
    whole amt strength? what do u mean?

the strength u gained from ur cycle will very possibly be lost esp if u stay on this cut thru ur pct (not a good idea IMO). the diet itself will not cause u to lose strength provided ur food choices and workouts are as they should be IMO.. i actually got stronger thru my cut. not a lot but a little. once u go from cutting to maintenance more strength should come (at least it did with me).

Thread Information