sharmabrah is offline Banned

My first proper bulking diet.

Hi all,

Any help on my diet would be greatly appreciated and would mean a lot to me if you could help. Firstly just a little about myself - I'm twenty years old and was originally wanting to do a cycle but I sacked up, manned up and decided against it and that the best thing to do was to create a mean diet. I study and work so I'll be having to arrange this diet on certain days accordingly. Also I am only 73KG, 12.5% bodyfat and 185CM (yeah laugh it up I am tall and skinny, I can't help that but I can hopefully change it). My TDEE was 2850CAL a day, so I'll be aiming to have 3200CAL a day for my bulking diet. With all this said, here is my proposed plan - also please take into account I'm only twenty, a uni student and working part-time so I'm pretty busy for my age. Most of my mates just go to the gym to try and get bigger with absolutely terrible diets - I wouldn't even call them diets they are fast food reasonably often with just random meals here and there. Hopefully I can surprise myself as well as them with some nice gains until the end of the year. I also train four times a week with a split routine. Okay so here it is:

Meal 1: Pro/Carb (7:30AM)
    1 scoop whey protein, 1 scoop maltodextrin, 3 egg whites, 0.5 cups oatmeal = 42G protein, 65G carbs, 5G fat.

Meal 2: Pro/Fat (9:30AM
    100G lean ground beef, 100G mixed veggies with 2 tablespoons full fat mayonnaise = 33G protein, 15G carbs, 20G fat.

Workout (11:00AM)

Meal 3: PWO Nutrition (12:45PM)
    1.5 scoops whey protein, 1 scoop dextrose, 1 scoop maltodextrin, 3 egg whites = 46G protein, 85G carbs, 0G fat.

Meal 4: PPWO Nutrition (3:00PM)
    100G chicken breast, 1 cup brown rice, 100G mixed veggies = 36G protein, 60G carbs, 3G fat.

Snack: Additional Calories (4:15PM)
    5 rice cakes, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 banana = 13G protein, 68G carbs, 16G fat.

Meal 5: Pro/Fat (6:00PM)
    2 cans tuna chunks, 1 tablespoon full fat mayonnaise = 36G protein, 3G carbs, 16G fat.

Snack: Additional Calories (8:00PM)
    1 protein bar, 1 tablespoon peanut butter = 30G protein, 7G carbs, 8G fat.

Meal 6: Before Bed (9:45PM)
    1.5 scoops casein protein = 35G protein.

Total macro daily intakes: 271G protein, 303G carbs, 68G fat.

I would just like to let you all know that the main reason for including snacks is so I can bump up my calories, as well as the fact I am young and don't have massive amounts of money to spend on food, phone bill, and many other things. Steak and chicken each week will be quite costly for me, so yeah just putting that out there. My first goal is to hit 85KG and be at most 10% bodyfat. I aim to keep this diet for as long as possible, but hopefully for three whole months while my uni studies is on so it's a good way to keep track of progress - I've never done something like this before so it will test my discipline and determination. Any estimations on how long it may take for me to hit 85KG with this diet considering I am 73KG at the moment? My friends have been gaining KG's even with shit diets, so surely this could pack on quite a bit of clean and lean muscle before the end of the year? I've only gone to the gym for a year without proper training and diet so I think I could still get newbie gains.

Thanks and any advice would be amazing lads.
    Last edited by sharmabrah; 07-12-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Awesome. So I spend a few days researching and trying to get a good diet created. I get told to put it in the nutrition forum saying I'll get some great help. So much for that.

DanB is offline Banned
    So your upset you didnt get an immediate answer? In case you havnt noticed, this section dosnt get as much traffic as others

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    So your upset you didnt get an immediate answer? In case you havnt noticed, this section dosnt get as much traffic as others
    Yeah I know it doesn't get much traffic but I was recommended to this section and told that I'd get some great responses and feedback. No I'm disappointed that I went to the effort of making myself a diet plan, and now it doesn't seem I'll be getting any help. I suppose I'll just stick with it and wing it - and throw in a few cycles.

DanB is offline Banned
    Good for you, there is dedicated members who frequent this section and strive to do their best to help everybody (and its alot of threads for a handful of people who also have lifes to live) but hey if waiting a few hours for a response from them isnt acceptable for you then I guess nothing wil be enough for you

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Good for you, there is dedicated members who frequent this section and strive to do their best to help everybody (and its alot of threads for a handful of people who also have lifes to live) but hey if waiting a few hours for a response from them isnt acceptable for you then I guess nothing wil be enough for you

Best of luck
    Jesus man I didn't mean to sound rude. I just really want to strive to be the best I can be both in the gym and out of it. If this means getting a strict diet implemented as soon as possible, then so be it. I didn't mean to sound rude mate, sorry for that. Do you have any opinions on my diet? Please remember that it is my first ever I have made so try not to laugh at it too much, lol.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Start off by dropping the maltodextrin and dextrose and replacing them with oats...

I would like to see more 'real' food in there tbh... I understand you a student..

At least aim to get a real food meal in you in the evening..

Over all macros look ok, you could probably get away with dropping protein down to 250 and increasing the carbs a little...

If you buy wisely and eat clean basic food you can eat well for cheap...

You need to buy in bulk, oats, rice, chicken breast, lean mince beef, eggs, canned tuna...

Keep the diet simple and limit your protein powder intake as much as possible ( PWO if u can).

Being a student may be hard for u, but how bad do u want it?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmabrah
    Awesome. So I spend a few days researching and trying to get a good diet created. I get told to put it in the nutrition forum saying I'll get some great help. So much for that.
    I'm pretty sure someone will get to you. Whilst you were waiting and getting arsey some of us were sleeping and then working!

Your protein is too high for your stats. 220g is enough for you. Fats are ok maxed at 70g and the rest of a 3000cal diet should come from COMPLEX/STARCHY carbs. Don't have more than 10g fat in a meal that contains carbs.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    I'm pretty sure someone will get to you. Whilst you were waiting and getting arsey some of us were sleeping and then working!

Your protein is too high for your stats. 220g is enough for you. Fats are ok maxed at 70g and the rest of a 3000cal diet should come from COMPLEX/STARCHY carbs. Don't have more than 10g fat in a meal that contains carbs.
    Stem is rite, sum how I managed to work your protein intake out with you being 85kg... My bad

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Stem is rite, sum how I managed to work your protein intake out with you being 85kg... My bad
    Lol no sorry man. I'm still a lightweight and sick of being only 75KG - hence why I took time to research and plan a mean diet haha. I will drop the maltodextrin in the morning but I heard a lot of people say 50/50 dextrose/maltodextrin after a workout is great? What can I do to lower my protein intake - just have less meals and snacks?

Quote Originally Posted by sharmabrah View Post
    Lol no sorry man. I'm still a lightweight and sick of being only 75KG - hence why I took time to research and plan a mean diet haha. I will drop the maltodextrin in the morning but I heard a lot of people say 50/50 dextrose/maltodextrin after a workout is great? What can I do to lower my protein intake - just have less meals and snacks?
    The malto/dextrose PWO is to 'spike' insulin ... Which is not really necessary since insulin is going to be raised anyway after eating any carbs.

It is a fad brought about by supplement companies offering PWO nutrition that is absorbed as fast as possible... Which again is not required and there is plenty to suggest that a slower release would have additional benefits anyway.

You will find people who swear by both simple and people who swear by complex carbs... Until somone can show me some good enough long term data that proves simple carbs PWO help to increase muscle growth vs complex carbs im gonna stick with real food

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hey Sharmabrah,

Overall this looks pretty good. When I'm looking to gain lean mass, my plan looks something like this:

Protein: 300-350g/day
    Carbs: 400-500g/day
    Fats: 60-65g/day

3500-4000 kcal per day. Everyone is different given body type, goals, current stats, etc., but this plan works best for me and was reviewed and tweaked by a competitive BB in California.

The other guys are right about protein shakes and bars - be cautious of these things. Most of the proposed benefits are misleading. The "gainers" that a lot of guys buy are loaded with matodextrin (and fillers) which is 7x sweeter than cane sugar and spikes your insulin like nuts. A lot of the gains you see from these kinds of supplements will be increases in body fat. While there is SOME beneift to these products, I use them sparingly and most of my protein shakes are consumed before, during, or after my lifting - very rarely outside of these times and ONLY IF I am traveling and its either that or no food. A lot of times you could make a far better protein shake at home using things like greek yogurt (good brands have 8 or less grams of carbs and 23-30g of protein per serving), rolled oats, egg whites, almond milk and ice (and sometimes I'll throw in olive oil for additional clean fats if needed). Ocassionally I'll make a peanut butter smoothie at home using my blender, ice, almond milk and 2-3 tablespoons of almond milk (but don't go over board and keep those fats in check). It takes a little more time but you have a better control over the sugars (carbs), fats, and protein that you are consuming in your shake. It just comes down to a little experimentation to find what is right, tastes good, and stays within your marco goals.

Personally I'd recommend nuts or dried (sugar free) fruit for snacks if you feel the need. Again, protein bars are convenient and fast but sometimes don't give you the nutritional needs. Some brands of rice cakes are ok but watch the sugars (I've also seen maltodextrin in some rice cakes - read the labels!!!!).

The key to diet, once you have everything planned out, is committment. A diet can become very mundane after one week so look for ways to hit your macros by introducing food varieties or new recipes. I can send you a decent reference if you want that has about 180 pages of recipies, each with the macros and kcals determined.

The other factor for you in gaining lean mass will be your training routine. Different schools of thought here and I have trained several different ways with numerous trainers. Some guys like to follow the low reps max weight; others go for mid range reps and sets at 70-80% of max; others will do one strength set followed by several hypertrophy sets - I've done them all with varying results.

The addition of supplements and vitamins can support your goals to gain lean mass as well and minimize injury or down time due to sore joints, etc.

Lots of things to consider but you are well on your way with this diet.

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    I'm not sure about all of you guys, but my tuna cans are 32g protein each, so you have an extra 32g with 2 cans. If you read the label it reads 16g protein per Half can drained

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk
    Hey Sharmabrah,

Overall this looks pretty good. When I'm looking to gain lean mass, my plan looks something like this:

Protein: 300-350g/day
    Carbs: 400-500g/day
    Fats: 60-65g/day

3500-4000 kcal per day. Everyone is different given body type, goals, current stats, etc., but this plan works best for me and was reviewed and tweaked by a competitive BB in California.

The other guys are right about protein shakes and bars - be cautious of these things. Most of the proposed benefits are misleading. The "gainers" that a lot of guys buy are loaded with matodextrin (and fillers) which is 7x sweeter than cane sugar and spikes your insulin like nuts. A lot of the gains you see from these kinds of supplements will be increases in body fat. While there is SOME beneift to these products, I use them sparingly and most of my protein shakes are consumed before, during, or after my lifting - very rarely outside of these times and ONLY IF I am traveling and its either that or no food. A lot of times you could make a far better protein shake at home using things like greek yogurt (good brands have 8 or less grams of carbs and 23-30g of protein per serving), rolled oats, egg whites, almond milk and ice (and sometimes I'll throw in olive oil for additional clean fats if needed). Ocassionally I'll make a peanut butter smoothie at home using my blender, ice, almond milk and 2-3 tablespoons of almond milk (but don't go over board and keep those fats in check). It takes a little more time but you have a better control over the sugars (carbs), fats, and protein that you are consuming in your shake. It just comes down to a little experimentation to find what is right, tastes good, and stays within your marco goals.

Personally I'd recommend nuts or dried (sugar free) fruit for snacks if you feel the need. Again, protein bars are convenient and fast but sometimes don't give you the nutritional needs. Some brands of rice cakes are ok but watch the sugars (I've also seen maltodextrin in some rice cakes - read the labels!!!!).

The key to diet, once you have everything planned out, is committment. A diet can become very mundane after one week so look for ways to hit your macros by introducing food varieties or new recipes. I can send you a decent reference if you want that has about 180 pages of recipies, each with the macros and kcals determined.

The other factor for you in gaining lean mass will be your training routine. Different schools of thought here and I have trained several different ways with numerous trainers. Some guys like to follow the low reps max weight; others go for mid range reps and sets at 70-80% of max; others will do one strength set followed by several hypertrophy sets - I've done them all with varying results.

The addition of supplements and vitamins can support your goals to gain lean mass as well and minimize injury or down time due to sore joints, etc.

Lots of things to consider but you are well on your way with this diet.
    Hey muscleink could you send me that 180 pages of recipes. It's tough once you get sick of the same foods every day. I need that recipe book BADLY! lol

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe

Hey muscleink could you send me that 180 pages of recipes. It's tough once you get sick of the same foods every day. I need that recipe book BADLY! lol
    Absolutely. I'll PM you.

Ares101 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk

Absolutely. I'll PM you.
    Could you ALso send me that! Definitely would love some new recipes! Thanks man

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmabrah View Post
    Jesus man I didn't mean to sound rude. I just really want to strive to be the best I can be both in the gym and out of it. If this means getting a strict diet implemented as soon as possible, then so be it. I didn't mean to sound rude mate, sorry for that. Do you have any opinions on my diet? Please remember that it is my first ever I have made so try not to laugh at it too much, lol.
    Dont sweat it to much, it's like Dan says there are only a few diet gurus here and a lot of post to go over. You also posted at the start of the weekend so it's even more dead in here than usual.

Do as the guys say and tweak things and see how it goes for a couple of months. Everyone is different and you will probably have to do some more tweaking but soon enough you will be in here helping out others like you do in the Q&A section.

It' helps to do a lot of searching for individuals who also have posted diets that have similar stats to your and see how it's working for them. Forming a sort of support group works out great also with fellow members who have similar goals or someone willing to mentor.

muscleink, dont bother sending it to me, I have not read anything that was 180 pages since i was 14 and got a new issue of playboy.
    Wow great advice above. I try to ingest a little of it every time I visit which is not nearly enough.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 07-16-2012 at 05:00 AM.

TheIcon333 is offline New Member
    MuscleInk could you send it to me too bro????

Bevsta123 is offline Member
    sounds like me and you sharm have the exact same goals ahha, im 73 going for 85 aha, started lifting i was 58kg

Bevsta123 is offline Member
    MuscleInk,

would you be able to pm me that book aswell, much appreciated !

Thread Information