smbdyshero is offline New Member

How to be a Fat American

Sometimes I nerd out and just find some math to do.

Today, I used the Nutrition Facts label on a yogurt container.

This is what I read:

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    Total Fat 2.5g 4%
    Total Carb 17g 6%
    Protein 12g 24%

This is what I found:
    U.S. RDA Calculated Macros
    Fat 62.5g 562.5 cal 30%
    Carb 283g 1132 cal 60%
    Prot 50g 200 cal 10%
    1894.5 cal

Interesting...

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    LOL.. pathetic.. yeh i never thought to do the math but ur rite.. thats ridiculous. no wonder we are such fat ass fvcks! yeh im a little testy today

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    LOL I have zero faith in what BIG BROTHER has to say about the food pyramid..opps they changed that recently didnt they? or what the correct macro's are, or the bs about daily calory intake being that silly formula with body mass or that the BMI charts are correct in anyway ect. makes zero logic to me
    lagit scietist are ignored when they speak out in conflict to what the gov agenda is as far as promoting certain food groups to increase economy stimulios in the states, while scientist that follow gov lead are pushed tothe limelite...

just my oppinion though

Ares101 is offline Associate Member
    More fat then protein? Seriously wtf!!!!

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Canadians aren't fat yet... Guess we win again

capetown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe
    Rita MacNeil is canadian remember. Lol

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capetown

Rita MacNeil is canadian remember. Lol
    Ok, we'll give you THAT one Cape.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart
    LOL I have zero faith in what BIG BROTHER has to say about the food pyramid..opps they changed that recently didnt they? or what the correct macro's are, or the bs about daily calory intake being that silly formula with body mass or that the BMI charts are correct in anyway ect. makes zero logic to me
    lagit scietist are ignored when they speak out in conflict to what the gov agenda is as far as promoting certain food groups to increase economy stimulios in the states, while scientist that follow gov lead are pushed tothe limelite...

just my oppinion though
    No kidding. We'd be a lot healthier if the powers that be reduce the damn artificial sweeteners and sodium in the foods we eat. Sugars are sometimes easy to avoid but the frigging sodium in some foods is ridiculous!!!!!

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Nonsense

Ares101 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk

No kidding. We'd be a lot healthier if the powers that be reduce the damn artificial sweeteners and sodium in the foods we eat. Sugars are sometimes easy to avoid but the frigging sodium in some foods is ridiculous!!!!!
    Yea no doubt, I had some deli meat (jenni o)the other day and I couldn't believe how much sodium I consumed!

bobjack is offline Associate Member
    yeah same with cottage cheese so much sodium
    they should know the people eating cottage cheese could care less about taste anyways lol

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Guess again, we are not far behind Americains. I just got back from Mexico and there where tones of Canadians, lots of fat ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjack
    yeah same with cottage cheese so much sodium
    they should know the people eating cottage cheese could care less about taste anyways lol
    It's crazy. I picked up some oven roasted turkey breast the other day. Na+ was almost 900 mg per serving. Needless to say the deli meat went right back on the shelf!!!!!

I see so many people buying frozen dinners and stuff. I hate most of the frozen/processed crap but just take a look at the sodium content sometime. No wonder heart disease, obesity, and diabetes are national crises.

.....and people give us grief for using gear!?!?!?

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    So this is how they get away with calling lunches in schools nutritious?

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle
    So this is how they get away with calling lunches in schools nutritious?
    Don't even get me started on schools and nutrition!

You would be surprised. My wife is a elementary teacher and they have a health program were they are not allowed to bring any unhealthy food to school. Of course u always have the parents that disagree and feel the school has no right to say what they can and can not take but overall it is a really great program. For students that cant afford it, the school pays.

But of course they have the once a month junk food day.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    People eat like shit. . . I am one of them at times. It sucks, it's all around us. We like it, but really look at what you are consuming. All meat is treated, lunch meat is full of sodium like no other, everything and its mom has HFCS, of course don't forget gluten or other tasty binding agents.

I guarantee if food was still made like real food people would not look like this. Did this even happen back in the 40's or 50's?

Ewwwww. . . .

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    thats a lot of carbs
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by capetown
    You would be surprised. My wife is a elementary teacher and they have a health program were they are not allowed to bring any unhealthy food to school. Of course u always have the parents that disagree and feel the school has no right to say what they can and can not take but overall it is a really great program. For students that cant afford it, the school pays.
    Yes, that is true and one could argue that the schools aren't the bigger problems, parents are. An ex-gf I dated had a kid and every time she went shopping for his school lunches she was buying chips, cookies, candy, muffins, donughts, etc. I used to feel nauseous just looking at her shopping cart. When I brought the subject up, she would say, well what is he going to eat for lunch at school, to which I replied, how about some yogurt, granola, or fruit!?!?!

On top of that she used to take the kid to McDonalds or KFC 3 times a week after school. Disgusting. I made him some fresh pressed juice from my juicer one day (apples, pineapple, ginger, carrots, blueberries, raspberries) and offered it to him. He looked at me like I was trying to poison him!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420
    People eat like shit. . . I am one of them at times. It sucks, it's all around us. We like it, but really look at what you are consuming. All meat is treated, lunch meat is full of sodium like no other, everything and its mom has HFCS, of course don't forget gluten or other tasty binding agents.

I guarantee if food was still made like real food people would not look like this. Did this even happen back in the 40's or 50's?

Ewwwww. . . .
    Wow. I know in some cases these problems are thyroid issues, but the majority of cases, people are just too damn lazy to eat and exercise properly. For too many people life is about convenience and cutting corners. Most people would rather drive through to pick up their food than take the time to cook properly and instead of exercising, they sit on their asses waiting for that miracle weight loss pill to be approved. Too many people don't want to take ownership over their weight problems!!!!!

My sister is 5'2, 245lbs.....and get this.....she teaches NUTRITION to high school kids!!!! If I was her student, I think I'd be asking, what the hell do you know about nutrition!?!?!?

I don't remember exactly where, but I read a diet thread from this forum that suggested separating carbs and fat at meals (eat protein+carbs or protein+ fat, but never carbs+fat). The author was basically saying that insulin spikes shuttle bloodborne carbs and fats strictly into adipose cells, which makes SOOOO much sense.
    Wish I knew that 15 years ago when I started lifting!

If you apply that theory to the stats in my OP...

More math:

Cholesterol 250mg RDA.
    Sodium 2000mg RDA

frsttmer is offline Associate Member
    My step mom runs an at home daycare, same thing with her groceries. Cookies, pudding, chips and the only healthy food would be fruit that almost always goes bad
    She goes on some stupid diet prob twice a yr that never works, no clue about nutrition at all, no exercise and has a pool she never swims in

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    lol i send my teens to shool with protien shakes fruit and a small treat like a 1/2 dingdong or fignutin (but they look anorexic they are so trim, thats how i justify the treats they ask for) lol

but i bet they are the ones that ask for BB drinks to bring to lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart
    lol i send my teens to shool with protien shakes fruit and a small treat like a 1/2 dingdong or fignutin (but they look anorexic they are so trim, thats how i justify the treats they ask for) lol

Lol....you're one of the few parents doing it right. I'm sure there are more but you'd all be in the minority. My son's 5 and he's never had soda. His other friends drink it but he's never shown any interest and I'll keep him away from that junk as long as I can....but I realize it gets a lot harder as they get older!!!!

gymsoldier is offline Associate Member
    We've a new fat fighting campaign in Ireland: "Stop the spread".
    It portrays obesity as a contagious disease.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk

Yes, that is true and one could argue that the schools aren't the bigger problems, parents are. An ex-gf I dated had a kid and every time she went shopping for his school lunches she was buying chips, cookies, candy, muffins, donughts, etc. I used to feel nauseous just looking at her shopping cart. When I brought the subject up, she would say, well what is he going to eat for lunch at school, to which I replied, how about some yogurt, granola, or fruit!?!?!

On top of that she used to take the kid to McDonalds or KFC 3 times a week after school. Disgusting. I made him some fresh pressed juice from my juicer one day (apples, pineapple, ginger, carrots, blueberries, raspberries) and offered it to him. He looked at me like I was trying to poison him!!!!!
    The problem is that it is so much cheaper to eat like crap. And most schools have alot of people that cant afford the program and this is were problems start. We are lucky to live in a small town with most employed in the oil industry. It works out perfect. Dont get me wrong, i have no problems grabbing my 5 year old a kids pack at macdonalds because my ass is too lazy to cook the odd day. But there has to be a balance. Kids should be kids and enjoy what we did but at the same time not falling asleep in school because they are crashing off the bag of chips and sugar candy they had 2 hrs ago.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post

Ewwwww. . . .

OMG that was a good one made my day

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    It's crazy. I picked up some oven roasted turkey breast the other day. Na+ was almost 900 mg per serving. Needless to say the deli meat went right back on the shelf!!!!!

I see so many people buying frozen dinners and stuff. I hate most of the frozen/processed crap but just take a look at the sodium content sometime. No wonder heart disease, obesity, and diabetes are national crises.

.....and people give us grief for using gear!?!?!?
    I think when people lose sight if where their food comes from, they end up buying crap. I live in a small town way up north largely a farming community and in my small town area we dont have nearly the obseity epidemic that they seem to have in larger cities. Mind you we dont have a fastfood resteraunt in 45 miles of our town.

Also I think you could look at the problems of people looking for instant gratification also I think if more people had family dinners and parents that cooked the obesity problem with children would be less.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter

I think when people lose sight if where their food comes from, they end up buying crap. I live in a small town way up north largely a farming community and in my small town area we dont have nearly the obseity epidemic that they seem to have in larger cities. Mind you we dont have a fastfood resteraunt in 45 miles of our town.

Also I think you could look at the problems of people looking for instant gratification also I think if more people had family dinners and parents that cooked the obesity problem with children would be less.
    Very true. Too many people want something for nothing or want it right now. Fast food is too convenient and many of our grocery stores carry processed and over processed foods full of preservatives and poisons. We'd be further ahead growing our own foods or at least making the trip to an organic farmers market and purchasing food that has a shorter shelf life but is far better for our health. I realize it's easy to say and harder to do, but really, it comes down to a decision.

At a minimum, people should just avoided the damn fast food establishments altogether!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart View Post

Ha you think that is bad/good. My wife sends rice with our daughter to school every day along with chicken some fruit and??? I try to sneak in a treat once in a while. Even during summer the wife has her spending 6+ hrs a day in her room reading, doing math or some type of work. Poor kid, she will probably grow up to be smart. lol Again I'm the one who sneaks her out when mom isnt looking to go outside or take her to the store with me. I'm such a bad influence.

They keep saying people are living longer but I think it's just media hype myself. I see a lot of statistics of people 100+ years ago living into their 80s. If it was not for all the crap they are putting into our food I have no doubt we would be living longer and healthier.

gymsoldier is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    They keep saying people are living longer but I think it's just media hype myself. I see a lot of statistics of people 100+ years ago living into their 80s. If it was not for all the crap they are putting into our food I have no doubt we would be living longer and healthier.
    Years ago people lived to old age due to a nutritious diet. These days it seems people are only living into their late 80's due to medical breakthrough's with prescription med's.

Thread Information