digsy1983 is offline Member

plateau on current diet.

hi guys. i started to diet when i was 250lbs over 1 year ago. i'm currently 205lbs and i've been at this weight now for over 2 months. i go the gym 5/6 days a week and now started to hit cardio more often.
    my usual daily diet consists of;

breakfast - 30g oats, 3 egg whites, ground cinamon and apx 15g of fried fruit.

mid morning - protien shake with water (45g protien, 2.4g carb, 2.1g fat) and 1 piece of fruit or couple of nuts, almonds or walnuts.

lunch - jacket potato (medium size), 250g cottage cheese, 5 pineapple chunks.

.pre workout shake.

.post workout shake (45g pro, 2.4g carb, 2.1g fat) with fruit juice

.1 piece of fruit, 2 hard boiled egg whites.

dinner - chicken breast/slamon steak/haddock steak/turkey with 4 portions of veg (some times split the veg and have two portions later on if i'm at home for the night).

.protien shake (IF STILL HUNGRY)

before bed - tin of tuna (in brine)

also taking flaxseed oil 2x 1000mg ED in the morning. (i know these can be classed as hidden calories so i mentioned them)

my workouts usually last in the region of 90+ mins high intensity, 15-8 rep weights then 20 mins of cardio (would do more but i'm vertually dead of my feet).

my diests worked well for me so far, it just seems like ive halted at the scales. could be i'm just now trading fat for musle gain but any help and advice would be greatly recieved.
    Last edited by digsy1983; 07-17-2012 at 06:01 AM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    digsy welsome to the forum man

what r ur complete stats?

1. age weight height bf%?

2. what r the total cals and macros of the above diet?

3. first thing that jumps out at me is the fruit ur eating in 5 meals per day. this needs to be eliminated completely for awhile.

4. read stickies:
    a) dieting 101:cutting
    b) tdee

im 28, 6'2". bf id estimate around the 20%+ .
    total cal per day is around 1600 apx. no idea what the macros is tho. ill see if i can work it out.

i'll cut the fruit out!!! was using it to keep my body from using the protien as an enegry source, but think it was more a personal treat. probably got to the point where i've got to be harsh and really disiplined.

i've also been having a "refill day" every 14th day to kick start my motabloism, high carbs, low fat! good or bad???

at 205lbs and 22%bf ur TDEE is around 3000cals which means u should be eating 2200cals NOT 1600cals. depending how long uve been at this many cals u may have slowed ur metabolism down.

the thing about fruit is:
    1. it causes an insulin response which will disable ur ability to mobilize fat into the blood for oxidation
    2. fructose is stored in the liver and i think ur body only has a capacity for around 50g. anything above that can be stored as bodyfat!

one medium banana (for argument sake) has around 25g carbs. how much of that is fructose i dont know but if ur eating 5pieces of fruit per day not only are u steadily supplying ur body with a carb that will shut down ur ability to mobilize fat ALL DAY LONG but ur also more than likely eating more than 50g fructose and therefore probably storing ur surplus as fat. now the 1600cals (extreme deficit) may offset some (or poss all) of this but u need to eliminate fruit for now due to reason 1 above

figure up ur average daily diet and calculate the total cals and macros (dont guess).. use caloriecountdotcom (or something like it) and post up what uve been eating and for how long. u may have to increase ur cals slowly over a period of time. slowed metabolisms and how to bring them up to speed is a bit out of my area. once weve seen what uve been eating and for how long u may need to petition GBrice for guidance on how to bring ur metabolic rate back up to par. hes smarter than me

also i suggest posting a pic of urself so we can take a guess at ur bf% as well as getting it checked

Attachment 124635

daily diet is 1800 cals split 48/43/9. carb/protien/fat. i've been on this particular diet for over 2 months, but before is was roughly the same just not as strict but the weight drop had slowed right down so i tightened up the diet, unfortunately my waistline hasn't responeded.

it makes sense what you say about the fruit! and i like the thought of increasing the cals to 2200!!
    any recommendation of where and what to increase?

bobjack is offline Associate Member
    possibly over training for only 1600 cals at 205 lbs.. ive been there don't be afraid to eat just eat right

just listen to 405 he'll do you well

Quote Originally Posted by bobjack View Post
    possibly over training for only 1600 cals at 205 lbs.. ive been there don't be afraid to eat just eat right

just listen to 405 he'll do you well
    yeah, thought the time had come when i should seek wise advice. everything i've done so far was on my own logic and feel. can only go so far on dumb luck.ha.

1. did u read the stickies? if not do it. u wanna be educated urself so in the future the only person u have to turn to for advice is urself!

2. i estimate u at 22%bf (get it checked!) with that est and considering ur cals thus far (1800) i suggest u increase them to 2100 and run a 60/20/20 pro/carb/fat split which will give u:

2100cals
    315g pro
    105g carbs
    47g fat

have ur carbs in meals 1, preworkout, postworkout ONLY.

protein split 6 ways (or however many meals u eat)

fat should work itself out naturally. if u have to supplement i prefer natty PB (if u have "fresh Market" around they have a peanut grinder and u can grind ur own peanut butter. this is the only kind i eat and recommend if possible)

a good pre bed meal = 1cup cottage cheese (2%FAT OR LESS), natty pb

cardio: 5-6days per week. am fasted or PWO only 45mins HR 135ish (u can swap a day or 2 of this style with HIIT)

good HIIT workout:
    5min warm up
    10mins HIIT
    5mins complete rest
    20-40mins moderate (135 HR)

once u get ur diet put together post it for review and be sure to include total cals and macros

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    1. did u read the stickies? if not do it. u wanna be educated urself so in the future the only person u have to turn to for advice is urself!

2. i estimate u at 22%bf (get it checked!) with that est and considering ur cals thus far (1800) i suggest u increase them to 2100 and run a 60/20/20 pro/carb/fat split which will give u:

2100cals
    315g pro
    105g carbs
    47g fat

fat should work itself out naturally. if u have to supplement i prefer natty PB (if u have "fresh Market" around they have a peanut grinder and u can grind ur own peanut butter. this is the only kind i eat and recommend if possible)

a good pre bed meal = 1cup cottage cheese (2%FAT OR LESS), natty pb

cardio: 5-6days per week. am fasted or PWO only 45mins HR 135ish (u can swap a day or 2 of this style with HIIT)

good HIIT workout:
    5min warm up
    10mins HIIT
    5mins complete rest
    20-40mins moderate (135 HR)

once u get ur diet put together post it for review and be sure to include total cals and macros
    yeah read the stickies! gona read em again tho, a fair bit to take in! ill set to work on a new diet tonight!! and post it tomorrow.

cheers '405' was starting to doubt the effort needed! much appreciated!!!!

no prob

2100cals
    315g pro
    105g carbs
    47g fat

sorted! went away and gave myself a head ache trying to work out the new diet. was like the da vinci code without the excitment! ha.

diet plan;
    2095 cals split 99.5 carb, 325 pro, 45 fat.

breakfast - oats with water. 3 egg whites and ground cinnamon

mid morn - 1/2 portion of walnuts (7 halves) 3 hard boiled egg whites.

lunch - 1 slice of wholegrain bread and butter

pre WO - 1 tin of tuna

post WO - protien shake

dinner - 2 chicken breast, 4 veg. (gona split into 2 meals to minimise digestion).

evening snack - tin of tuna

before bed - 250g of cottage cheese (fat free).

i'm gona miss the fruit!! but totally see your point on insulin levels.

i set off reading your diet log b4! gona finish it and see what sort of gains/time scale you had. hope to get the results you had aswel!!

Quote Originally Posted by digsy1983 View Post
    sorted! went away and gave myself a head ache trying to work out the new diet. was like the da vinci code without the excitment! ha.

diet plan;
    2095 cals split 99.5 carb, 325 pro, 45 fat.

breakfast - oats with water. 3 egg whites and ground cinnamon

mid morn - 1/2 portion of walnuts (7 halves) 3 hard boiled egg whites. move walnuts to before bed

lunch - 1 slice of wholegrain bread and butter drop completely and move 1 chik breast from dinner to here and add green veggie

pre WO - 1 tin of tuna add complex carb here which was removed from "lunch" (oats, brn rice, sweet potato)

post WO - protien shake add complex carb here (oats, brn rice, sweet potato)

dinner - 2 chicken breast, 4 veg. (gona split into 2 meals to minimise digestion). reduce to add in "lunch"

evening snack - tin of tuna

before bed - 250g of cottage cheese (fat free). id have walnuts here instead of mid morning

i'm gona miss the fruit!! but totally see your point on insulin levels.

i set off reading your diet log b4! gona finish it and see what sort of gains/time scale you had. hope to get the results you had aswel!!
    if u have to - eliminate complex carb from meal 1 so u can have a decent amt of carbs preworkout/postworkout. with 325g protein u should have an ample amt of meat to fill up 6 meals

if u have to - eliminate complex carb from meal 1 so u can have a decent amt of carbs preworkout/postworkout. with 325g protein u should have an ample amt of meat to fill up 6 meals
    what sort of thing would you substitue for meal 1?? would you have the cottage cheese and walnuts before bed? or should i move the cottage cheese to mid morn?

glad to know you've done the same sort of thing i'm doin now. looking forward to seing how you smashed thru ya 16%bf wall! the two guys that were guiding you seemed to know their stuff!! are you now maintaining your own weight?

what sort of thing would you substitue for meal 1?? would you have the cottage cheese and walnuts before bed? or should i move the cottage cheese to mid morn?

glad to know you've done the same sort of thing i'm doin now. looking forward to seing how you smashed thru ya 16%bf wall! the two guys that were guiding you seemed to know their stuff!! are you now maintaining your own weight?
    1. a good meal 1 = 1whole egg, 5 egg whites, spinach, onion, tomato (omelette)

2. getting thru 16%bf was not a prob (like i thought itd be) cuz of the diet i was on (a good one! ) and yes i had great help!

3. i maintain my own diet but still refer to SteM and GB with questions

excellent. i'll set about a diet plan with a few variations in to keep it fresh but within the macros of what you advise.

here's to another 1st step on the long road of looking slim!

excellent. i'll set about a diet plan with a few variations in to keep it fresh but within the macros of what you advise.

here's to another 1st step on the long road of looking slim!
    lean and muscular not slim rite?

lean and muscular not slim rite?
    HA! yeah lean and muscular like Hercules!

well started DAY 1 of the improved diet! also done 30 mins fasted cardio (never really approved of fasted cardio due to being afraid of going catabolic, but you guys seem to recommend it so ill put my faith in yas!)

203.6lbs morning weight, but normally vary +/- 2lbs so time will tell!

hitting the gym this afternoon and if i feel upto it after the workout, cardio again!

well, missed the targeted macros for today.
    target 2100 - 105/315/47
    actual 1774 - 75/243/44

got to admit tho, was full all afternoon and full now but still got to eat 1 tin of tuna, half serving of walnuts and also a protien shake(had to include this to bump up the stats!)

on the bright side its more cals than my old spec diet and NO FRUIT, so its a step in the right direction.

bobjack is offline Associate Member
    yeah man it takes a bit to get your stomach used to eating that much after you've been eating so little you may gain a bit of weight the first week adjusting
    (it won't be fat)but after that its smooth sailing

i'll bare that in mind bobjack about the short term weight gain. 405 alluded to the fact that my metabolism will probably av slowed down so gona take a few days to readjust. plus theres alot of food to eat and often! ha. not a bad problem to have tho i suppose, more fuel to burn off in the gym!

well, missed the targeted macros for today.
    target 2100 - 105/315/47
    actual 1774 - 75/243/44

got to admit tho, was full all afternoon and full now but still got to eat 1 tin of tuna, half serving of walnuts and also a protien shake(had to include this to bump up the stats!)

on the bright side its more cals than my old spec diet and NO FRUIT, so its a step in the right direction.
    nice to cut and be full. a luxury i dont have 4days per week rite now! enjoy it

nice to cut and be full. a luxury i dont have 4days per week rite now! enjoy it
    i'd enjoy being lean and muscular a whole lot more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha

i'd enjoy being lean and muscular a whole lot more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha
    stick with it and this forum and u will get there!

*405, if you can find time could you give my food plan a quick check over, see if you'd structure it differently? please.

well done 50 mins fasted cardio this morning. went for a nice bike ride in the great british countryside! 10 mile of ups and downs! :-)

macros for todays food is ; 2027 - 106/330/46 (going to hit it today!)

meal 1 - 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, 20g oats, spinnach (mixed with thyme and cinnamon for flavour)

mid morn - 1/2 tin of tuna, 90g prawns.

lunch - 1 turkey breast, broccoli.

pre WO - 1/2 tin of tuna, 1 slice of wholegrain bread.

PWO - shake, 20g oats, 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites (prob spice it up aswel)

dinner - chicken breast, 2 green veg.

90g prawns
    shake
    1 tin of tuna

before bed - 1 tub of cottage cheese

working on adding new things to include!! just got to work them into the macros.

gym and cardio this after noon! i've also invested in a set of calipers for bf%. going to keep a check up on that aswel as just checking the scales every now and again.

missed yesterdays macros by 1 tub of cottage cheese. had to vertually force the tin of tuna down, so wasnt going to make myself sick eating the cottage cheese.

todays macros is the same as yesterdays, 2027 - 106/330/46.
    so far hitting the meals and also felt a bit peckish (slight hunger feeling) at some points today. think the metabolism is speeding up.
    no fasted cardio today (resting knees). 90 mins in gym tho!

on the plus side weighed 201.6lbs this morning!

id swap the pre workout bread for oats, brn rice, sweet potato.. other than that looks pretty good!

cheers pal! just using bread for convenience, but will work swapping it. i've got to grips now not having fruit, nearly picking it up thru habbit but what was left in has been put safely in the bin out of reach.

hi guys! just a quick update of the thread!

its been 1 month and 1 day since i put this up asking for help and id just like to give a progress report.

stats from 1 month ago = weight 205 lbs. BF% 22 (estimated by >>405<< by means of pic, see below)

Attachment 125591

so todays stats were weight 195lbs. BF% 13.2 (calipers and internet site to calculate the measurements) i'd also like to point out that when i started my diet apx 16month ago i weighed 18 stone!!! todays weigh in has me at 13.13 stone (4 stone loss all in all)

Attachment 125592 Attachment 125595

so that's a drop of 10lbs in 1 month and also gained a fair bit of LBM aswell aswell. dont know how much tbh with not having a BF% test before. but the weights and reps have increased a good deal so i'm losing weight and getting stronger (winning on both fronts!!!!!!!)

id like to give >>405<< a huge thanks!!! cheers mate. hopefully the next post will be of me sporting a bulging 6 pack, beach body here i come! (just in time for winter. ha)
    Last edited by digsy1983; 08-18-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: added another pic

awesome man! happy for u! keep it going!

thats the plan, its full steam a head now buddy! 8% bf in now in my sights!!! was debating bulking, but his has defo fueled the fire to keep cutting!!

Het as lean as u can now. U want to have the knowledge of cutting under ur belt. Its very important! Then u will grow in confidence in ur ability

Thread Information