TheS1tch is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries

Do I Need Carbs To Bulk?

Hey guys

Im thinking of going on a cycle to increase my upper body, but currently have size 32 waist and intend to keep it that way I dont want to end up like those guys at the gym with huge arms and gut hanging out. So can I increase my cals by consuming some more protein? because thats whats needed for LBM all carbs do is just make you have a fat ass

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    its been put to me this way:

imagine ur body is a house and u want to build. protein is the material and carbs are the workers.

now what do u think?

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    carb cycling, less carbs on days you dont work out 150ish, and more on the days you do work out. AS long as you have a clean diet then you wont get fat.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by TheS1tch View Post
    Hey guys

Im thinking of going on a cycle to increase my upper body, but currently have size 32 waist and intend to keep it that way I dont want to end up like those guys at the gym with huge arms and gut hanging out. So can I increase my cals by consuming some more protein? because thats whats needed for LBM all carbs do is just make you have a fat ass
    The short answer - YES, imo. In the late 80's, fat was the enemy. Everything was fat free, meanwhile they increased sugar content in products. Then Atkins became popular (again) in the 90's, and carbs became the enemy.

IMO, a good diet consists of a balance of all 3 macro nutrients. It's worthy to point out that carbs are the only macro we can live without; i.e. we do not require carbs to sustain life, but who the hell is looking to just sustain life? No, we want to build lean, muscular physiques, and to achieve that, carbs play an important role.

Please post up your diet and full stats, because with all due respect, your last statement leads me to believe you have very little understanding of diet and nutrition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    its been put to me this way:

imagine ur body is a house and u want to build. protein is the material and carbs are the workers.

now what do u think?
    cute i like this, facebook status update1

Blog Entries

Hey guys

Carbs don't make you gain body fat, eating too many calories does.

They're the preferred energy source for your body to grow new muscle tissue, I wouldn't try to gain lbm without at least 40% of my of total cals coming from carbs.

gonejeepin is offline Associate Member
    Eat some carbs!

Razor is offline Banned
    Simple answer yes

Live for the PUMP is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely! Carbs are your friend! Just eat the right one's at the right time. 2-3 grams per pound of LBM on workout days and non-workout days I try to keep carbs down below 250.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Live for the PUMP View Post
    2-3 grams per pound of LBM
    Are you kidding? ?? I cant even get to 2g/lbs of proteins without maxing my RDI. Isnt consuming that much carbs will just make me have a spare tire around my waist, even now @ current weight my waist is still a little larger then proportions should be for an athletic build ...

Blog Entries
    Are you kidding? ?? I cant even get to 2g/lbs of proteins without maxing my RDI. Isnt consuming that much carbs will just make me have a spare tire around my waist, even now @ current weight my waist is still a little larger then proportions should be for an athletic build ...
    Do you think people here are just here to poke your spare tire? no pun.. a lot of people run a higher carb to protein diet and are lean. You "can" use protein as energy but i doubt you can afford the $400 a week on your protein alone. so carbs are a easy and cheap way to fuel your body.

Since your knowledge of how dieting works seems to be next to nothing i will suggest a few things...

1.) Don't read bodybuidling magazines

2.) read the stickies here, read peoples logs and entries. Follow the discussions every day.

3.) repeat 2.) 5-10 times

4.) if you are still not interested in carbs look into keto diet, but be warned this is not a easy diet or a beginner diet. And until you understand whole foods, good and bad carbs and healthy fats.. micro nutrients and the kitchen sink, this style of diet will do more harm then good.

5.) clen , ECA stacks and any thermogenics are not magic pills, avoid at all costs.

6.) Look at the member 405, he eats more carbs a day then i do in a week and he is in 7 x better shape then me, so really carbs are not the issue... Your understanding of carbs is.

7.) re read 2.)

Ok, this is starting to aggravate me. You get a dozen replies all basically telling you the same thing, and then you reiterate this (the bold) like you haven't read a single word. Honestly it sounds like you just want us to confirm what you already believe, so with that:

1 - eat no carbs, they make you fat.

2 - eat tons of protein only. Everybody knows that protein only meals build tons of muscle

3 - we haven't even gotten into fats, but I imagine you think they also make you fat

Sorry for the sarcasm, but c'mon!!! Re: your waist - some people just have larger waists (bone structure) than others. I have a very wide waist and hips (like a woman) ... even when I was at my leanest (around the time of my avy) I still looked wide in that area. Don't mistaken this for bodyfat.

You should post up a pic of yourself so we can get an idea of what you're referring to. Also, still waiting on diet and stats as requested...

Blog Entries
    im blessed with frank zanes symetry now if only i could make it to the gym more then once a year!

Blog Entries
    70 year old Frank zane that is

bradhore is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    Carbs don't make you gain body fat, eating too many calories does.

They're the preferred energy source for your body to grow new muscle tissue, I wouldn't try to gain lbm without at least 40% of my of total cals coming from carbs.
    When you say eating TOO MANY calories makes you fat, does it? Or do you mean eating the wrong types of calories makes you fat (ie chocolate, sugar, etc)

You need excess calories in order to grow muscle tissue..

If this is the case, how do you lean bulk without gaining fat??

gonejeepin is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Ok, this is starting to aggravate me. You get a dozen replies all basically telling you the same thing, and then you reiterate this (the bold) like you haven't read a single word. Honestly it sounds like you just want us to confirm what you already believe, so with that:

1 - eat no carbs, they make you fat.

2 - eat tons of protein only. Everybody knows that protein only meals build tons of muscle

3 - we haven't even gotten into fats, but I imagine you think they also make you fat

Sorry for the sarcasm, but c'mon!!! Re: your waist - some people just have larger waists (bone structure) than others. I have a very wide waist and hips (like a woman) ... even when I was at my leanest (around the time of my avy) I still looked wide in that area. Don't mistaken this for bodyfat.

You should post up a pic of yourself so we can get an idea of what you're referring to. Also, still waiting on diet and stats as requested...
    You missed his stats above, 6 foot 1 , 154lbs ... Carbs are required!

Live for the PUMP is offline Senior Member
    You need to worry about all your Macros. Your diet, if that's what you call it, is TERRIBLE! At 6'1" 152lbs and 10% BF your a bean pole. How can you be worried about carbs? You need to take the advice these other guys have gave you and read the stickies, and get involved in posts. Don't act like you know something with a meal plan like that. You got a lot of work to do with your meal plan if you want to get good results. Take more advice and give less of your opinions if you truly want to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by bradhore View Post
    When you say eating TOO MANY calories makes you fat, does it? Or do you mean eating the wrong types of calories makes you fat (ie chocolate, sugar, etc)

Yes eating too many calories is what makes us gain weight. The type of weight gained is determined by macro split and training, but it would be impossible to gain weight eating at or under your maintenance level of cals even if your diet were 100% carbs or 100% fats. You'd look like shit but you wouldn't gain weight.

You lean bulk w/o gaining fat by experimenting and dialing in your total cals and macro split, which is different for everybody.

DanB is offline Banned
    All you actually eat is 2 chicken breasts and couple slices of bread and wonder why your 6'1 and 150lbs

Anyone know if there is a lean bulk weight calorie calculator out there?

leeatkin is offline Junior Member
    Pmsl mockery.wounder if he works for nasa

brazilian86 is offline Associate Member
    "Bean Pole" LOL
    That was good!
    Eat a lot my friend and train, youll see results.

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mockery

Do you think people here are just here to poke your spare tire? no pun.. a lot of people run a higher carb to protein diet and are lean. You "can" use protein as energy but i doubt you can afford the $400 a week on your protein alone. so carbs are a easy and cheap way to fuel your body.

Since your knowledge of how dieting works seems to be next to nothing i will suggest a few things...

1.) Don't read bodybuidling magazines

2.) read the stickies here, read peoples logs and entries. Follow the discussions every day.

3.) repeat 2.) 5-10 times

4.) if you are still not interested in carbs look into keto diet, but be warned this is not a easy diet or a beginner diet. And until you understand whole foods, good and bad carbs and healthy fats.. micro nutrients and the kitchen sink, this style of diet will do more harm then good.

5.) clen , ECA stacks and any thermogenics are not magic pills, avoid at all costs.

6.) Look at the member 405, he eats more carbs a day then i do in a week and he is in 7 x better shape then me, so really carbs are not the issue... Your understanding of carbs is.

7.) re read 2.)
    Great point of view, thx!
    Last edited by Razor; 08-17-2012 at 12:53 AM.

ha read this. it seems there is/has always been a massive arguement http://supplementreviews.com/forum/i...p?topic=5046.0

Your body doesn't require very much over maintenance to grow muscle. +/- a few hundred calories and most people are gtg. The problem is when people BULK, they consume way more than they need to, so of course they get fat.

Lean bulking requires attention to detail, tweaking, etc. until one is dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by gonejeepin View Post
    You missed his stats above, 6 foot 1 , 154lbs ... Carbs are required!
    You must've missed this:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but c'mon!!!

Blog Entries
    Your body doesn't require very much over maintenance to grow muscle. +/- a few hundred calories and most people are gtg. The problem is when people BULK, they consume way more than they need to, so of course they get fat.

Lean bulking requires attention to detail, tweaking, etc. until one is dialed in.
    True story bro! im eating like 100 caloires over mainatnce and putting weight on fast, so the +500 is maybe not always the best for each person, some might need it others need very little.

Quote Originally Posted by mockery View Post
    True story bro! im eating like 100 caloires over mainatnce and putting weight on fast, so the +500 is maybe not always the best for each person, some might need it others need very little.
    Yep. The +500 is a starting point at best. Every diet needs to be monitored for necessary adjustments and tweaks.

hmmm, what if you were eating AT maintenance calories, which contained enough protein (for example 340grams) which would be roughly 1.5g per every 1lb, would that still not be enough to cause protein synthesis?
    Even if you were on a cycle, and lifting heavier, surely you WOULD gain from that.

hmmm, what if you were eating AT maintenance calories, which contained enough protein (for example 340grams) which would be roughly 1.5g per every 1lb, would that still not be enough to cause protein synthesis?
    Even if you were on a cycle, and lifting heavier, surely you WOULD gain from that.
    Let's say for the sake of argument that you're eating a protein only diet, with what little fats come with said proteins. Your body would resort to gluconeogenesis (google it) and break down proteins and potentially muscle tissue to be converted into usable energy. Not sure why anybody would want to do that when there are readily available energy sources at hand... (carbs and fats)...

No, im talking about a cutting ratio of 60p/20f/20c with maintenance or maybe below, calories.. what would happen then??
    You can see what im getting at... Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat..

Blog Entries
    No, im talking about a cutting ratio of 60p/20f/20c with maintenance or maybe below, calories.. what would happen then??
    You can see what im getting at... Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat..
    its called body recomp, and it takes VERY long. Leangains claims his IF protocol can add lbm while dropping bf% and increasing strength through weight loss.

does it work? you tell me... what works for you?? not one thing works for everyone. Small bulks followed by small cuts .. rinse and repeat in a controlled setting cutting to 8-9% bf and bulking up to 12-14.

but as for body recomp, to achieve what you want ideally will take twice as long. "maybe" ALL depeands on you big boy

Blog Entries
    Or their is a magic serum... hit the tren hard , using half teh amount of test to supplement the tren. If your diet is spot on, your recovery is spot on and your training is spot on. LBM growth while shredding fat is with in grasp. But that's advanced training .. and you have to earn that. Thinking u could jump right into that will have you coming to a very rude realization that drugs are not the answer.

Look at phil heath off season, hes got a huge fat got and is chubby and has double chins... He is a pro who understands how to bulk and how to cut. None of this LBM style diet.

Blog Entries
    heres a pic of mine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forumpic.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	125580

heres a pic of mine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forumpic.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	125580
    Well you have a good base to start with, look like you do really need excess calories and a ratioof 40protein/40carbs/20fats or maybe even 30/50/20 in your case. Just eat like a horse and train like a mad man, and get 7-8 hours sleep at night and youll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mockery;611***0
    Or their is a magic serum... hit the tren hard , using half teh amount of test to supplement the tren. If your diet is spot on, your recovery is spot on and your training is spot on. LBM growth while shredding fat is with in grasp. But that's advanced training .. and you have to earn that. Thinking u could jump right into that will have you coming to a very rude realization that drugs are not the answer.

Look at phil heath off season, hes got a huge fat got and is chubby and has double chins... He is a pro who understands how to bulk and how to cut. None of this LBM style diet.
    #

Ive done many cycles mate, many...
    Ive almost always dirty bulked though which is why ive gained quite a bit of fat.

Blog Entries
    Basically what I'm going for is shrinkwrap effect method clinically proven to be prefered by female phsycology. A lot of guys are doing the mistake of trying to bulk at any cost but they end up having rounded soft muscle. I'm going for the angular definition chris helmsworth type of look and we can all google his before pics he used to be be skinny just like me, but then he cut to single digits then popped some test and dbol and in 3 months we can all see the results he achieved, and he said he was using lowcarb just pop tones of protein.

Well some people are more geneticly gifted than others, and especially being on a cycle it probably is possible, but all depends what the overall colorie intake is really...

Thread Information