digsy1983 is offline Member

WHEN/IF to recalculate your cutting calorie deficit?

hey guys, i was gona PM >>405<< on this to see what he thought, but just at the last miute i thought it could help other guys out.

my current cutting diet plan/ macros was devised about 5-6 weeks ago under the guidance of 405, 2200 cals 60/20/20. i workout 6 times a week 90-110 mins and do about 5 sessions of cardio 40-60 mins each.

I weighed at the time 205lbs and approx 22%BF and 6'2" that gave me 159.9 lbs LBM. I'm now 195lbs 13.1%BF 170 lbs LBM (still 6'2").

i recently read the debate between GB and 405 on the discrepancy of the TDEE calculator, then i used GB's LBM x 15 and that came up with 2550 - 500 cut = 2050 (im assuming the -500 cut +500 bulk rule still applies for this) . if i use the BMR and TDEE (got myself at moderate activity. 3) that gives me 3146 - 500 cut = 2646.

id just like to point out that currently I'm not looking to change my plan as its working great, apart from feeling more and more hungry as it goes on. BUT i was wondering if at some point it should be reevaulated as im under the understanding that the more LBM you have means a high calorie level is needed. so, should a cutting plan be changed to compensate LBM and if so at what stages is appropriate?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    hey digsy! first off let me say those are great results and i would advise against changing anything until the results stop coming dude! i cut for about 4months before i changed anything and when i did it was to move to a carb cycle. this was after results had slowed a good bit for a few weeks..

LBM x 15 is a good starting point and after many months of using katch/mcardle it is taking some time for me to get oriented with the difft numbers

with ur new number LBM (170lbs) ur BMR is 2035 cals. 2200 still looks good to me. (350cals below maintenance of 2550)

personally id forget the BMR/TDEE deal..

Cheers 405. As I said I'm not looking to change at the min, had a couple of days debating about a bulk but when I'd compared the figures from the start of this diet to during, it was a no brainer to continue with the cut. Carbs cycling is ready to go when needed, but I don't want to use it until as you "say progress stops" and also getting good results in the gym so there's really no desire to chnge anything yet.
    my interest was sparked when you and GB were discussing the problems of TDEE ect and I thought maybe something had been over looked in reguards to tweeking the diet at set points to compensate for progress.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    As long as you continue to see results, I wouldn't change anything. I go by the old 'if it ain't broke....' adage. If/when results start to slow, and are consistently stagnant or stopped for about 3 weeks, it's time to make small changes. Nothing too drastic or too many, otherwise you'll never know what change you made that got you back to making progress.

ok then, cheers guys. so just cut on the initail figure until either goals are reached or progress slow/stops, no modification needed to account for LBM or BF change. nice and simple.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Generally, changes in LBM/BF are what will dictate changes to your approach... automatically. i.e. when results slow/halt, changes in LBM/BF are usually why.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    yeh digsy the fact that ur bf% went down and ur LBM went up means ur increased LBM will actually contribute to ur deficit in that at 170lbs LBM u actually burn more cals thru the day than u did at 160lbs LBM. so its actually working for u rite now

Thread Information