mglenn79 is offline Junior Member

How much protein from supplementation?

I'm trying, with the help of the gurus on here, to get my diet straight. My question is, if I'm aiming for 375g's of protein a day, how much of that should be from supplemental sources? And would it hurt if a large portion of the whole food protein comes from dairy products like cottage cheese or greek yogurt? Thanks guys for all the help so far, can't wait to see the results when I get all this fixed!

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mglenn79
    I'm trying, with the help of the gurus on here, to get my diet straight. My question is, if I'm aiming for 375g's of protein a day, how much of that should be from supplemental sources? And would it hurt if a large portion of the whole food protein comes from dairy products like cottage cheese or greek yogurt? Thanks guys for all the help so far, can't wait to see the results when I get all this fixed!
    The problem with a lot of dairy is the fat and sometimes the sugar. Ideal protein sources are chicken, lean beef, and some varieties of fish. Fat isn't all that bad but to avoid blowing up and to develop lean muscle you want to keep it reasonably low.

Do you have a daily plan right now -i.e. what does your daily consumption look like right now? Are you calculating total caloric intake, macros, and do you know your TDEE?

What is your end goal? Gaining? Losing?

Most of the dairy I take in is fat free, fat free cottage cheese, fat free greek yogurt, and fat free skim milk. I'm working on getting my macro lined out. I'm trying to cut some weight to maybe try a cycle in a year or so. I want to do it right and have EVERYTHING in place before I even consider it.

The macros that I've been recommend run.....

375 grams protein

125 grams carbs

55 grams fat

With 2500 calories.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Thats an insane amount of protein.
    Anyway get all you can from lean protein sources and make up the rest with shakes.
    While whole foods have better micro nutrient profiles ultimately it really will not matter.
    I just eat all i realistically and practically can and make up diff in shakes.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    What are your stats? Without even knowing, I agree with Jimmy that your protein is way high... probably by about 100g or so. An unnecessary waste of calories IMO.

That aside, to answer your question: I have never really seen a difference. I have gotten 50% of my protein from supplementation (powders) some days, and others more or less. I've even done 2 weeks on ONLY protein powders - no noticeable difference.

Re: dairy - if you can digest it without issue (many people cannot, hence, lactose intolerance), it's as good a source of protein as any other in terms of providing amino's required to repair tissue. I would try and stick with cottage cheese and greek yogurt over milk though, as the latter has a higher sugar to protein ratio than the 2 former.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Thats an insane amount of protein.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    What are your stats? Without even knowing, I agree with Jimmy that your protein is way high... probably by about 100g or so. An unnecessary waste of calories IMO.
    STATS:
    Height: 6' 1"
    Weight: 255lbs
    Body Fat: 21% (caliper tested)
    201.45lbs LBM = 1.86g per lb LBM
    60/20/20 cutting diet

Sorry about the stats, had another thread about my diet with them.

6'1"
    21%
    Gym 3 days per week. I rotate push/pull and upper/lower.
    About ten years lifting with the last four being very serious.

Obviously need to drop some pounds!

Thanks.

Dang, beat me to it!! Thanks man.

And thanks again for the advice, 405. Still trying to workup a plan I can live with. I have a feeling I'm going to get really tired of eating on this diet!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mglenn79 View Post
    And thanks again for the advice, 405. Still trying to workup a plan I can live with. I have a feeling I'm going to get really tired of eating on this diet!
    ur welcome man! when running a 60/20/20 diet, protein is gonna be on the higher side but IMO its a fair trade-off in order to keep caloric amt high enuff so as not to be in an extreme deficit while still keeping carbs low (which IMO is ideal for fat burning) and fats relatively low. we only have 3 macronutrient groups to derive cals from and when u have lowish fats and carbs it only leaves one place to get the majority of cals from

i have had great success (in the first few months down to 12-15%bf) with 60/20/20 and as a result it is what i recommend. i started with 22%bf so while ur bigger than i was the numbers are similar in nature and IMO u should fare well with that split. once u get leaner adjustments can and prob will need to be made.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    a real rrough rule of thumb is 1gram of protein for every pound you weigh. Very inprecise, but a good ball park number.

Just to clarify, nobody sees an issue with me taking in 150-200 grams from shakes or protein shots correct? And sorry to be asking so many dumb questions, I appreciate your patience.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Your goal right now is fat loss. Have the shakes/shots and don't worry.

Thanks everybody, good yo know.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Just to clarify, nobody sees an issue with me taking in 150-200 grams from shakes or protein shots correct? And sorry to be asking so many dumb questions, I appreciate your patience.
    I'm going to ask a real stupid question... first one of the day!

What the hell is a protein shot? Are you injecting protein? Because that sounds crazy to me!

Or is a "shot" to mean something liquid out of a can?

They're small tubes of liquid protein, Just a couple of ounces. I keep a half dozen in my gym bag in case.

greenwell001 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I'm going to ask a real stupid question... first one of the day!

What the hell is a protein shot? Are you injecting protein? Because that sounds crazy to me!

Or is a "shot" to mean something liquid out of a can?
    its like 42g of whey iso in a 5oz tube. I think its called New Whey.....anyways I have tried one and its not too bad. Just wonder about the quality though. OP, what do you know about it?

About the quality, not much other than it doesn't cause bubble gut. I don't like the price so I don't use them often unless I'm out of town or late getting home and just need to get the extra protein in.

Thread Information