Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I 'think' my love handles look a little smaller, but its a tough call. Looking in the mirror myself I'm almost certain to trick myself into seeing changes. I will post pictures on day 14. I think fortnightly picture updates as well. I dont want to post too many, otherwise the differences between them might not be that great.
    Been looking for a cheap set of BF% calipers, will these do? LINK

I
    m now using 2600calories as my daily requirement, putting me ~700 calories in deficit, this hasnt really affected me though. I am feeling a little hungry towards the last few hours of fasting, but nothing major.
    Last edited by krugerr; 10-16-2012 at 09:52 AM.

digsy1983 is offline Member
    the calipers will do for short term, the plastic spring weakens over time throwing off reading slightly. i got mine off a popular auction site for £1.99 inc postage. use for a couple of months then get new.

pics are defo the way to go! sometimes it all seems pointless when looking in the mirror, but the pics defo show progress giving you that extra pick up you need to keep on going!

as for the food/eating problems i bought a load of tupperware and pre-cook my food then as long as you can find time to eat, you know what your eating and that your within your diet structure. i'd put tupperware above sliced bread!!

Perfect response! Thanks Digsby! I shall order those calipers, then I can keep weekly bf% charts and bi-weekly picture updates.

I do use Tupperware when I'm off to Uni, it's a bloody godsend!

Day 12:

Just finished 25mins fasted cardio on the spinning bikes, and a 50min intense chest session.
    I'm finding that I fatigue quicker on a fasted workout, but my strength isn't lacking on the main exercise. In this case, Bench, I'm actually increasing my strength, but the following exercises, like flys, are much lower weight.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    I cannot recall your workout schedule but its probably glycogen store depletion.

Thanks buddy, that probably does explain it! Lol.

I've been slowing increasing my protein and decreasing my carbs. Not deliberately, but it just works out easier.
    The last couple days have been approximately:
    50% protein (323g)
    30% fat (86g)
    20% carb. (138g)

The fat is coming mainly from some cheese, and full-fat milk. I'll cut the milk down, and use some water to reduce that, bringing it more into 60/20/20.
    I'm feeling a lot more full with the higher protein and lower carbs. Calipers are in the mail, so I hope to have pictures and BF% update around day 14-16.

Krugerr

I think you will meet your target by Xmas , in fact im sure of it, if u stay the distance that is :-)

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    I've been slowing increasing my protein and decreasing my carbs. Not deliberately, but it just works out easier.
    The last couple days have been approximately:
    50% protein (323g)
    30% fat (86g)
    20% carb. (138g)

The fat is coming mainly from some cheese, and full-fat milk. I'll cut the milk down, and use some water to reduce that, bringing it more into 60/20/20.
    I'm feeling a lot more full with the higher protein and lower carbs. Calipers are in the mail, so I hope to have pictures and BF% update around day 14-16.

Krugerr
    cheese and full fat milk on cut? brave boy!!

I said 'some' cheese and milk! I had a really big craving for tuna-cheese melt after the gym today.

1 can of tuna, spread over whole meal toast. Slice of cheese on top and grilled. Amazing PWO meal. Although I know I am cutting, so I need to restrict it! Lol.

Today is the last day of full-fat milk. I'll be using milk in 1 of my shakes. The rest will be water from now on.

I'm really hating the cardio, I'm switching between cycling and crosstrainers. Does anyone have a preference? They appear to burn around the same amount of calories in a 30minute period. My heart rate is higher on the CrossTrainer than bike. Is this something I should be looking at?

Krugerr

Yeah look at buying a proper mountain bike and an iPod lol far more interesting scenery , and it can save you time too if you cycle to gym or work or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    I said 'some' cheese and milk! I had a really big craving for tuna-cheese melt after the gym today.

1 can of tuna, spread over whole meal toast. Slice of cheese on top and grilled. Amazing PWO meal. Although I know I am cutting, so I need to restrict it! Lol.

Today is the last day of full-fat milk. I'll be using milk in 1 of my shakes. The rest will be water from now on.

I'm really hating the cardio, I'm switching between cycling and crosstrainers. Does anyone have a preference? They appear to burn around the same amount of calories in a 30minute period. My heart rate is higher on the CrossTrainer than bike. Is this something I should be looking at?

Krugerr
    haha wasnt having a pop about the milk n cheese. even on a cut youve still got live.

as for the cardio id go with what ever get you closer to the 70% bpm rule and what you feel comfortable on. i feel the cross trainer burns more cals, but i find it really borning! on the exercise bike i watch films on my ipad so i drift off and dont really notice th time. ive recently just bought a heart/pulse monitor paid £75 for it and its well worth the money. (my exercise bike doesnt have a bpm monitor, and i do a bit of raod biking aswel) id recomend them for ppl on a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FQ320
    Yeah look at buying a proper mountain bike and an iPod lol far more interesting scenery , and it can save you time too if you cycle to gym or work or whatever
    I did have a mountain bike, I worked at Halfords Bikehut, so it was proper kitted out! But due to my weight I was buckling the wheels quite often!

Quote Originally Posted by digsy1983

haha wasnt having a pop about the milk n cheese. even on a cut youve still got live.

as for the cardio id go with what ever get you closer to the 70% bpm rule and what you feel comfortable on. i feel the cross trainer burns more cals, but i find it really borning! on the exercise bike i watch films on my ipad so i drift off and dont really notice th time. ive recently just bought a heart/pulse monitor paid £75 for it and its well worth the money. (my exercise bike doesnt have a bpm monitor, and i do a bit of raod biking aswel) id recomend them for ppl on a cut.
    70% max heart rate? So [220-(age)=MHR], my max heart rate is then 197, [197*0.7=138].
    I'll keep that in mind when I'm next working out!
    Yea I agree, I feel more spent after the CrossTrainer, but it's readout says the calorie burn is roughly equal to the bike, and I can geek on my phone whilst on the bike. So I suppose I'll stick to the bike!!
    I may invest in a heart rate monitor, I'm not sure I trust the hand-grip ones that are built into the handles.

Krugerr
    Last edited by krugerr; 10-17-2012 at 03:23 PM.

yeah thats the 70% bpm fat burning zone. any higher and your body cant burn fat that fast so it reverts to breaking down muscle for energy.

Quote Originally Posted by digsy1983
    yeah thats the 70% bpm fat burning zone. any higher and your body cant burn fat that fast so it reverts to breaking down muscle for energy.
    Very good to know. Thanks buddy! Now I have ammunition to fire at my girlfriend when I order a heart rate monitor!
    My bro was over about half an hour ago and said it looks like I've lost some weight on my upper chest. That's good. Although I'm not seeing myself. Pictures will be up in a couple days to confirm.

Krugerr

because you see yourself everyday you wont notice the change! ive cut down from 18st to 13.8st and at times i dont think ive changed that much! think its human nature aswel to be overly critical of themselves. if people are making remarks you are showing good signs of progress! dont be fooled!!!
    keep at it and you will get the results you desire!!

Appreciate the feedback and response

It makes keeping a log like this easier if you know people are reading it! There is also more incentive to do well!

Krugerr

no worries bud! glad to help.

just get the bf% up and the pics then ppl will be able to guage where you're at and encourage you on! good part of a log is you can always ask for help and the experiencd guys know youre serious about your goals so they will prob give you a bit more advice and explain things better.

Day 13:

Heading off to Uni in an hour. I fancy a leg session today, so I think I'll do my cardio after my workout! I made a godawful pasta bake last night, ended up throwing it away and having a large thick protein shake.

10AM: sitting in the station, all I can smell is the bloody bakery! This is pure torture! I allowed myself a good old sniff whilst waiting for my black coffee. Now my stomach is grumbling at me for teasing it.
    Last edited by krugerr; 10-18-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Day 14:

Woke up so thirsty last night, grabbed the nearest glass and downed it. Turned out to be my girlfriends vile juice, warm... Mmmm

I'm gonna go shower and take some pictures. I'll keep them decent lol.
    Whole day off, heading to do a nice cardio session after lunch.

Ok, as promised. It isn't a great picture. Sorry about that. I'll try and get the Mrs to take one later!

Had a good arm session followed by 50mins Cardio. Using advice from DigsyI kept my heartrate between 138-142 the whole time. It felt quite easy, but I suppose that's the point of 70%MHR?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 'get lean' progress log-image-149519808.jpg  
    Last edited by krugerr; 10-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Mate, re: cardio. Just do it. Your bf is high enough to not worry about muscle if you do a higher intensity fasted cardio. The old 70% fat burn zone is true but slightly outdated in thought and practice.

When I dropped to 7% earlier in the year I would do 2 mornings of 70%MHR and 2 mornings that incorporated HIIT, LIC and other intervals.

Now then, are you doing cardio then lifting straight away or did I get that wrong?

Also, your macro split, I'd swap fats and carbs around, your fat should max at about 20%.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Mate, re: cardio. Just do it. Your bf is high enough to not worry about muscle if you do a higher intensity fasted cardio. The old 70% fat burn zone is true but slightly outdated in thought and practice.

When I dropped to 7% earlier in the year I would do 2 mornings of 70%MHR and 2 mornings that incorporated HIIT, LIC and other intervals.

Now then, are you doing cardio then lifting straight away or did I get that wrong?

Also, your macro split, I'd swap fats and carbs around, your fat should max at about 20%.
    Oh righto, ths 70%MHR isnt very intense at all, it felt like a casual exercise, but Im not going to argue! I'll try to include 2 more intense sessions.
    You are correct, I am doing my cardio, and then starting to workout within 5mins of finishing. Is this good or bad?

Change my split to 50p/30c/20f ? Thanks for replying!

Cardio AFTER lifting yes.

50/30/20 pro/carbs/fat yes.

Keep going mate!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by SteM
    Cardio AFTER lifting yes.
    Because I'm a need-to-know-nerd, why after? Are there benefits? Is it bad to cardio before? I always 'assumed' it was a good way to warm up for a workout!

Thanks!

Because I'm assuming, like most if us, you want a muscular lean physique rather than a lean physique that's muscular. Make sense? You said you are tired lifting after cardio, this way you can give your all to lifting weights then do your cardio.

Best way to warm up for lifting is to lift with lighter weights for a few sets before your heavy lifts and maybe some dynamic stretching.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks SteM! I'll do it that way around in future.

Krugerr

Look into glycogen stores, that will give you a good idea why cardio is best after lifting. More info you have on what youre doing the more doin it makes sense.
    It's a massive learning curve this whole fitness/diet saga. I've spent moths reading/researching what and why for all sorts of things, luckily I find it really interesting.

Have you got your BF chest done? Early on the bathroom scales will be a great indicator, but later on they can drive you mad! BF checks is the way to go rather than scales.

My calipers are In the mail somewhere! They should be arriving Monday/Tuesday. I'll be interested to see what it says. I have this horrible feeling its going to be a number I won't like!! Lol.
    This will just add to the motivation though, so it's a good thing knowing.

With the right diet and exercise (that you've now got) yal soon fly down that BF%.

Calipers give a fairly inaccurate reading for those in excess of 20%. You are probably 25% ish at the moment. As Digsy says, the scales won't lie right now.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thank you guys! The scales today read 248lbs. But I had eaten and drunk quite a lot of water. Mondays scales said 250, and that was fasted.
    So the scale direction is good.
    I'm only recording my fasted weight, I just felt like jumping on the scales today.

I'll bear that in mind STEM when I use those calipers.

Krugerr

Day 15:

My calipers arrived!! Playing around with it now, I can really see that they're cheap! Using FireGuys guide so when the mrs is home, il get her to help me and I shall put a BF% up. I am bearing in mind that SteM said anything over 20% is hazy.

I got a nice big steak for my dinner. Got solid Doms in my triceps. But my biceps not so much! Shame. Felt like I blasted them yesterday!

Pain isn't always a sign that you worked a muscle group hard! Although early on it does feel like it is.
    Biceps are grouped with abbs and calves, they are designed to be constantly worked so they recover really fast. Don't think I've ever had painful biceps or calves the day after. Defo had painfull abbs tho!

This BF reading will be a good starting point from now on!

Well the calipers, using the 9 point test as suggested by FireGuy says that I am 17.2% bodyfat... I think we messed up somewhere! We found the quad point, calf point and especially the kidney point very difficult to get readings on. I'll leave it until I drop more bodyfat via appearance before I try again.

FireGuys Tutorial

I've been workout out semi-serious for 3 years. Ive never focused on diet until recently though.
    I always get DOMs, even if they are only mild. Lol.

Gutted though that I didn't get a semi decent readout from the calipers.

What web site did you use to calculate it?

This week I've had crazy DOMS in my biceps and calves!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I've never had any for my biceps or calves, even when I've blasted them! Either I'm lucky or slacking! I've purposely targetd calves to bring them up aswel.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information