hatred_diet is offline New Member

Opinions On A New Member's New Diet Plan

Hello guys,

I'm fairly new here, as I've been reading the forums for a long time but it's my first time posting. I'd like to have some opinions/criticism on my new diet plan. I know it's not perfect, but it's the first one I've made entirely by myself, so I'm kinda proud of it. The goals with this diet plan are to lose some fat (get down to 12% BF or less in about one year) while continuing to gain muscle and strength. I'm overweight (17-18% BF) so losing fat should be doable without any more advanced techniques (such as carb cycling). It's composed of approximately 20% fat (over 15% EFA or "good fats"), 30% prot and 50% carbs. Here it goes (I know it's a long read, thanks in advance to those who will take the time to read):

Calories(Cals)/day = 3679 g; Grams of protein/day = 270; Grams of carbs/day = 456; Grams of fat/day = 78.
    Cals/meal = 613 g; Grams of protein (Gprots)/meal = 45; Grams of carbs (Gcarbs)/meal = 76; Grams of fat (Gfats)/meal = 13.

Meal 1:
    Cals = 6 egg whites (102 cals), ½ cup of 1% fat cottage cheese (125 cals), 1 cup of raspberries (64 cals), 2 cups of blueberries (168 cals), 33 g of Milanaise oatmeal (127 cals).
    Total Cals = 586
    Gprots = 6 cooked egg whites (21.6 gprots), ½ cup of 1% fat cottage cheese (14 gprots), 33 g of Milanaise oatmeal (4 gprots), 1 cup of raspberries (1 gprot), 2 cups of blueberries (2 gprots).
    Total Gprots = 42.6
    Gcarbs = 6 cooked egg whites (1.44 gcarbs), 33 g of Milanaise oatmeal (8 gcarbs), ½ of 1% fat cottage cheese (7 gcarbs), 1 cups of raspberries (15 gcarbs), 2 cups of blueberries (42 gcarbs).
    Total Gcarbs = 73.44
    Gfats = ½ cup of 1% fat cottage cheese (1.2 gfats), 33 g of Milnaise oatmeal (1 gfat), 1 cup of raspberries (1 gfat).
    Total Gfats = 3.2

Meal 2:

Cals = 1 1/3 whey protein scoop (146 cals), ¼ cup of pecan nuts (230 cals), 1 medium raw banana (105), 1 cup of blackberries (62), 4 medium carrots (100 cals).
    Total Cals = 643.
    Gprots = 1 1/3 whey protein scoop (37.3 gprots), ¼ cup of pecan nuts (3 gprots), 1 medium raw banana (1 gprot), 1 cup of blackberries (2 gprots), 4 medium carrots (4gprots).
    Total Gprots = 47.3
    Gcarbs = 4 medium carrots (24 gcarbs), 1 medium banana (27 gcarbs), 1 cup of raw blackberries (15 gcarbs), ¼ cup of pecan nuts (4 gcarbs).
    Total Gcarbs = 70.
    Gfats = ¼ cup of pecan nuts (22 gfats)
    Total Gfats = 22.

Meal 3:

Cals = 100 grams of skinless chicken breast (231 cals), 4 cups of raw broccoli (124 cals), 4 cucumbers, peeled, raw (72), 1 cup of blueberries (84 cals), 1 cup of blackberries (62 cals).
    Total Cals = 572
    Gprots = 100 grams of skinless chicken breast (31 gprots), 4 cups of raw broccoli (12 gprots), 4 cucumbers, peeled, raw (4 gprots), 1 cup of blueberries (1 gprot), 1 cup of blackberries (2 gprots).
    Total Gprots = 50
    Gcarbs = 4 cups of raw broccoli (24 gcarbs), 4 cucumbers, peeled, raw (16 gcarbs), 1 cup of blueberries (21 gcarbs), 1 cup of blackberries (15 gcarbs).
    Total Gcarbs = 76
    Gfats = 100 grams of skinless chicken breast (4 gfats).
    Total Gfats = 4

Meal 4:
    Cals = 15 g of pecan nuts (115 cals), 3 cups of raspberries (192 cals), 4 cups of green beans, raw (136 cals), 1 whey protein scoop (110 cals).
    Total Cals = 553
    Gprots = 15 g of pecan nuts (1.5 gprots), 4 cups of green beans, raw (8 gprots), 3 cups of raspberries (3 gprot), 1 whey protein scoop (28 g prots).
    Total Gprots = 40.5
    Gcarbs = 15 g of pecan nuts (2 gcarbs), 4 cups of green beans, raw (32 gcarbs), 3 cups of raspberries (45 gcarbs).
    Total Gcarbs = 79
    Gfats = 15 g of pecan nuts (11 gfats), 3 cups of raspberries (3 gfats).
    Total Gfats = 14

Meal 5:
    Cals = 2 slices of multi-grain, whole grain bread (200), 1 can of water-canned tuna, light, drained (191 cals), 2 ½ cups of blueberries (210 cals).
    Total Cals = 601
    Gprots = 2 slices of multi-grain, whole grain bread (10 gprots), 1 can of water-canned tuna, light, drained (42 gprots), 2 ½ 1 cups of blueberries (2.5 gprots).
    Total Gprots = 54.5
    Gcarbs = 2 slices of multi-grain, whole grain bread (32 gcarbs), 2 ½ 1 cups of blueberries (52.5 gcals).
    Total Gcarbs = 84.5
    Gfats = 2 slices of multi-grain, whole grain bread (3 gfats), 1 can of water-canned tuna, light, drained (1 gfat).
    Total Gfats = 4
    Cals = 100 grams of atlantic salmon (206 cals), 1 cup of chickpeas, cooked (269 cals), 2 medium apples, raw (130 cals).

Meal 6:
    Total Cals = 605
    Gprots = 100 grams of atlantic salmon (22 gprots), 1 cup of chickpeas, cooked (15 gprots).
    Total Gprots = 37
    Gcarbs = 1 cup of chickpeas, cooked (45 gprots), 2 medium apples, raw (34 gcarbs).
    Total Gcarbs = 79
    Gfats = 100 grams of atlantic salmon (12 gfats), 1 cup of chickpeas, cooked (4 gfats).
    Gfats = 16

Additional Info
    Weight: 245 lbs
    Height: 180 cm (6 ft.)
    BF%: 17-18
    Last edited by hatred_diet; 09-19-2012 at 09:16 PM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    hatred welcome man.

what r ur complete stats? age weight height bf%?

unless ur a big guy and carrying a lot of LBM ur gonna gain fat (and prob muscle) on this diet IMO. 450g carbs is a lot (about 100g more than i eat on a bulk).

i see u put a lot of work into ur diet.

Thanks for the welcome. and yes I did put a lot of work into my diet, also sorry for the newbie question but I'm not sure what you mean by "complete stats". But otherwise I'm 18 yo, about 245 lbs, 180 cm (almost 6 feet), and my bf% is somewhere between 17 and 18 or maybe a little more but it's around that for sure.

nkyle90 is offline Associate Member
    Just my two cents but I would go higher percentage on protein intake, and lower on the carbs %.

I'd start out with a 40/40/20 (protein,carb,fat) and assess from there. Honestly you could even go 50%protein and 30% carbs and be good.

You've definitely got off to a good start with the diet though!! And people will def jump in and help because of all the good info you've provided.

Good luck!! and Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by nkyle90 View Post
    Just my two cents but I would go higher percentage on protein intake, and lower on the carbs %.

I'd start out with a 40/40/20 (protein,carb,fat) and assess from there. Honestly you could even go 50%protein and 30% carbs and be good.

You've definitely got off to a good start with the diet though!! And people will def jump in and help because of all the good info you've provided.

Good luck!! and Welcome!
    Thanks man.

Also, I've added additional info in the original thread.

Concerning the carb ratio, I've read a lot to stuff that suggests a higher carb approach when it comes to losing body fat, but also a lot of stuff that suggests a lower carb approach, so I'm not sure. When it comes to carbs I'm talking mostly about carbs that come from veggies, too.
    Last edited by hatred_diet; 09-19-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hatred_diet View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. and yes I did put a lot of work into my diet, also sorry for the newbie question but I'm not sure what you mean by "complete stats". But otherwise I'm 18 yo, about 245 lbs, 180 cm (almost 6 feet), and my bf% is somewhere between 17 and 18 or maybe a little more but it's around that for sure.
    complete stats: age weight height bf%

at 245lbs 18%bf u have 200.9lbs LBM

good starting maintenance: LBM x 15

for u this means 200.9 x 15 = 3013cals (to maintain)

ur proposed diet puts u at a 600+ cal surplus. not a good environment IMO to reduce bf%

u may be able to recomp but id drop cals if ur gonna do that. personally i would just run a cut and get bf% where u want it then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    complete stats: age weight height bf%

at 245lbs 18%bf u have 200.9lbs LBM

good starting maintenance: LBM x 15

for u this means 200.9 x 15 = 3013cals (to maintain)

ur proposed diet puts u at a 600+ cal surplus. not a good environment IMO to reduce bf%

u may be able to recomp but id drop cals if ur gonna do that. personally i would just run a cut and get bf% where u want it then go from there.
    Hey, thanks for the answer.

Actually I used the HB formula to calculate my TDEE which was a terrible idea considering that I'm overweight. That's the first mistake I made. Second mistake (which is even worse), my bf% is actually a lot higher than I thought, it's almost 24 and not 18 lol. So I redid my TDEE using the Mifflin-St Jeor formula and the correct bf% and a different prot prot / carbs / fat ratio: 35/45/20. And with that I got different numbers:

557 cals / 48 prots / 62 carbs / 12 fats per meal.

I think that's a lot better. Slightly more prots, slightly less carbs, slightly less fat, less calories. Now I have to basically redo my whole diet and I'm probably gonna use these numbers.

use what u want but i gave u an easy formula for calculating rough maintenance.. LBM x 15

wanna cut: subtract 500cals

wanna bulk: add 500cals

adjust accordingly based on results..

this 557cal/48protein/62carbs/12fat thing u came up with. how many meals is this for? 6??

if so ur still gonna be eating 3342cals/288g pro/372g carbs/72g fat with a maintenance of now around 2800cals (with new bf% of 24%)

this gives u an LBM of 186.2lbs, i have 180lbs LBM and bulk gaining 2lbs per week at 3200cals. and u wanna drop bf at 3300? IMO this is not gonna happen..

u should be starting a cut around 2300cals IMO. at 24%bf IMO ur priority should be removing bf..

IMO u very well could get fatter with the diet above..

how did u get it tested? why was it so far off before?

use what u want but i gave u an easy formula for calculating rough maintenance.. LBM x 15

wanna cut: subtract 500cals

wanna bulk: add 500cals

adjust accordingly based on results..

this 557cal/48protein/62carbs/12fat thing u came up with. how many meals is this for? 6??

if so ur still gonna be eating 3342cals/288g pro/372g carbs/72g fat with a maintenance of now around 2800cals (with new bf% of 24%)

this gives u an LBM of 186.2lbs, i have 180lbs LBM and bulk gaining 2lbs per week at 3200cals. and u wanna drop bf at 3300? IMO this is not gonna happen..

u should be starting a cut around 2300cals IMO. at 24%bf IMO ur priority should be removing bf..

IMO u very well could get fatter with the diet above..

how did u get it tested? why was it so far off before?
    Yes, it's for 6 meals.

I used a TDEE calculator but before it was off b/c I was using the HB formula which doesn't take BF into account... so basically with this formula it calculates stuff as if I had 245lbs of LBM... with the MSJ formula bf% is taken into account.

The calculator says that with these numbers I lose about 38.6 lbs of bf a year, considering that I do 5-6 hours of hard work weekly (which I do) and considering my complete stats.

Quote Originally Posted by hatred_diet View Post

Yes, it's for 6 meals.

I used a TDEE calculator but before it was off b/c I was using the HB formula which doesn't take BF into account... so basically with this formula it calculates stuff as if I had 245lbs of LBM... with the MSJ formula bf% is taken into account.

The calculator says that with these numbers I lose about 38.6 lbs of bf a year, considering that I do 5-6 hours of hard work weekly (which I do) and considering my complete stats.
    i wouldnt put a lot of stock in what an online calculator tells u man.. im telling u a good formula for rough maintenance. LBM x 15

use it or dont.. good luck..

i wouldnt put a lot of stock in what an online calculator tells u man.. im telling u a good formula for rough maintenance. LBM x 15

use it or dont.. good luck..
    LBM X 15 is for prot carbs and fat?

Don't mind the question in the post above... It's pretty dumb... I was in a rush and I didn't take the time to think before writing that. So according to the formula I should have 2800 on maintenance... that means 2300 calories to cut right? What if I wanna do both though? Gain muscle and lose fat at the same time? How much should I cut (or add?)? Can I even do that? I heard you can but then again people say all kinds of things on the internet so it's hard to tell if you actually can.
    Last edited by hatred_diet; 09-20-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Read the sticky: dieting 101: cutting

U may be able to gain some LBM as newbie gains but typically u do one or the other. In ur case (24%bf) i suggest u cut.

U may be able to gain some LBM as newbie gains but typically u do one or the other. In ur case (24%bf) i suggest u cut.
    Yeah that's what I read... that you can do both if you're newbie/intermediate but that advanced bodybuilders can't because it's harder for them to gain muscle and they have a low bf... I consider myself pretty newbie even though i've been training for 3 years because i never really cared about nutrition until a 2 or 3 months ago... I would take a scoop of whey prot post workout and eat lots of vegetables but that's it. I didn't care about numbers of anything... that's why I still have a high bf even though I train...

Read the sticky.. U need to run a cutting diet. Get rid of the fat. U will feel 1000% better about urself and look better. Plus u will gain good knowledge and experience on diet.

Thread Information