Thread: Looking to cut

tdub82 is offline New Member

Looking to cut

I have calculated my TDEE and it says 4452. Can anyone help me to put together a strong diet so I can cut. Currently I'm 6'7" roughly 265lbs, I would like to cut about 20lbs and lean out. Thanks!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    ^^ read my cutting sticky. It should give you enough info to come up with a diet to post here for critique.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...g#.UFnOOrKPXIQ

Thank you, very informative and educational. I thought I had a good diet, guess I have A LOT to learn. Thank you again, I'll be posting a proposed diet soon.

Sorry it took so long, had family stuff I needed to take care of.

Here's what I've put together as far as a diet:

Breakfast:
    8oz ground turkey
    3 large eggs
    2 egg whites
    Ezekiel bread (2)
    1 cup strawberries
    2 table spoons natural peanut butter

Snack #1:
    1oz almonds
    1 apple (med)
    1 banana (med)

Lunch:
    7 oz chicken
    Asparagus (4 spears)
    2 cups brown rice (cooked)
    1 cup pineapple

Snack #2:
    1 can tuna light
    1oz almonds
    1 cup strawberries

Snack #3:
    1 apple (med)
    Ezekiel bread (1)
    1 table spoon PB

Dinner:
    7oz pork tenderloin
    1/2 cup quinoa
    Green beans

My daily recommended calories is 4000 but I cut it down to 3500 so I can cut a little bit of weight. From what I have read from this site and others the break down of these foods cal/carbs/protein/fat fits almost perfect. Pleased give any advice if you have any.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    tdub whats ur bf%?

in order to accurately gauge ur likely maintenance cals and thus establish a proper deficit u must know ur LBM. u cant know ur LBM without knowing ur bf%.

also we need total macros for this diet above as well. im assuming its 3500cals?

My body fat is about 14%, which would make my LBM roughly 228. Yea that diet is at 3500cals

a good starting maintenance formula is: (LBM x 15)

for u this is 3418cals.

i would suggest reducing ur caloric intake to at least 3000cals. while ur cutting i would also suggest eliminating all fruit and dairy (with the exception of lowfat cottage cheese) for optimal results. once u are at the weight and more specifically the bf% u wanna be u can re-introduce some fruit and dairy back into ur diet.

fruit is high in sugar typically and u want to try to keep ur carbs complex while cutting IMO.

ur food choices look pretty good (aside from all the fruit) but ideally IMO for cutting u would fare best if u combine difft macros in a fashion similar to this:

meal1: protein/carb

meal2: protein/veggie

meal3: (preworkout) protein/carb

meal4: (post workout) protein/carb

meal5: protein/fat

meal6: protein/fat

this method has proven effective for myself. keep carbs primarily focused around ur lifting.. i must say to be as big as u are 14%bf is not bad man! u are a big dude..

also u need to count ur macros. the macro split u pick can have a big effect on ur body composition IMO. personally for cutting i prefer low carbs. 60/20/20 pro/carb/fat. keeping carbs at or below 20% total cals will optimize ur ability to mobilize fat into the blood for oxidation. some people dont do well on low carbs but IMO it is a very efficient way to cut.

the other 2 macro split options that could work IMO are: 50/30/20 pro/carb/fat or 40/40/20 pro/carb/fat

personally when im cutting i want to get the fat off in the most efficient manner possible and for me thats 60/20/20 and what i recommend.

Thank you, this is awesome and very helpful. I was originally recommended to do a 40/40/20 which with the diet above puts it at 1373p/1432c/628f. I am in very good shape as far as muscle goes, but I've always wanted to change my diet because since high school I haven't shown my abs. I'm a big guy and strong, would like to get bigger but more lean too I would like to get back down to maybe 8-9% body fat. Abs are made in the kitchen so to speak so diet is where to start. I def think I need to lower my carbs for sure, and what would you recommend as far as good "snacks" other than fruit. I'm having a harder time then I thought finding things I like that are too high in cals/carbs/ and fats.

Full_Auto is offline Junior Member
    nuts, natural peanut/almond butter, rice cakes, protein pancakes, old fasioned oatmeal, hard boiled eggs....some snack ideas for you.

i like a whole wheat wrap w/ some natural PB rolled up in it, or a handful of almonds, or a plain rice cake with PB, a few hard boiled eggs with oil & vinegar, oatmeal with cinn & splenda.

Thank you, my mouth started watering as I read this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdub82 View Post
    Thank you, this is awesome and very helpful. I was originally recommended to do a 40/40/20 which with the diet above puts it at 1373p/1432c/628f. I am in very good shape as far as muscle goes, but I've always wanted to change my diet because since high school I haven't shown my abs. I'm a big guy and strong, would like to get bigger but more lean too I would like to get back down to maybe 8-9% body fat. Abs are made in the kitchen so to speak so diet is where to start. I def think I need to lower my carbs for sure, and what would you recommend as far as good "snacks" other than fruit. I'm having a harder time then I thought finding things I like that are too high in cals/carbs/ and fats.
    glad to help! remember this: u should NOT be "snacking". the term snack IMO implies lack of preparation. when cutting especially IMO all your MEALS (a better word )should be planned at least a day in advanced, total calories for the day as well as macros also calculated to meet ur goal macro totals for that day. then all u have to do is eat at the appropriate time. forget snacks..

personally i would (and do) build a cutting diet hitting the macros i suggested and then u can sub difft proteins and difft carb sources once u have developed familiarity with ur diet. this may take a little while to get oriented. get used to eating the same thing over and over again.. cook several days food in advance and store in tupperware.

make sure to weigh all ur food raw (meats/veggies) and dry(oats, rice, and things that absorb water).

CARDIO: i suggest 5-6 days per week in the am fasted or PWO for 45mins at moderate intensity (130-140HR)..

i suggest u pick a macro split and revise ur diet and post it for review. i use caloriecountdotcom with an app on my iphone. makes things a lot easier..

Thread Information