jklipouse is offline Junior Member

weighing chicken cooked vs raw

How do you guys weigh your chicken when you cook in bulk?(10#)... i took 18.9 oz of chicken grilled it to see the difference and when it was cooked it weighed 15.1oz so it was a difference of 3.8oz...? Is there a method for this?

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    i just use the raw weight - not worried about a few ounces here and there.

lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    Nutritional info is always based on raw weight. Don't worry about cooked weight at all.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    you really dont have to be that concerned, the diff will be not worth talking about

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i weigh everything cooked, way easier when i bbq EVERYTHING and weigh after

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    you really dont have to be that concerned, the diff will be not worth talking about
    In terms of cutting it can be a large difference. In the OP's case 8 oz of raw chicken would be equivalent to around 6.4 cooked. If he were to just measure out 8 oz of the cooked assuming it didnt matter, he would essentially be eating 10 oz. This can be an issue when aiming for certain calories and macros

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12

In terms of cutting it can be a large difference. In the OP's case 8 oz of raw chicken would be equivalent to around 6.4 cooked. If he were to just measure out 8 oz of the cooked assuming it didnt matter, he would essentially be eating 10 oz. This can be an issue when aiming for certain calories and macros
    This is the reason why iam asking so how do you do the math on this if i cook 10 pounds of chicken how do i measure out chicken cooked being that its 10pounds... for instance i wont to bag and separate it as 7oz of raw chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by jklipouse

This is the reason why iam asking so how do you do the math on this if i cook 10 pounds of chicken how do i measure out chicken cooked being that its 10pounds... for instance i wont to bag and separate it as 7oz of raw chicken?
    I weigh each piece raw and separate it on a baking sheet prior to cooking.

Every piece will shrink a little after cooking, but there isn't really an exact amount, so it's pretty hard to figure it out after its cooked.

canesfan804 is offline Member
    I thought you weigh after cooking thats why there are different macros for different ways of cooking. Like baked vs grilled.

Quote Originally Posted by lestat85

I weigh each piece raw and separate it on a baking sheet prior to cooking.

Every piece will shrink a little after cooking, but there isn't really an exact amount, so it's pretty hard to figure it out after its cooked.
    How much cooking u cook at a time?

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    unless youre on a strict cutting diet like Noles said, or stepping on stage, i wouldn't let that rent space in your head bro.

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If u are counting cals by a app on phone or something. If gives you option of grilled..raw..broiled. Ect. So you do what you think is easiest for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jklipouse

How much cooking u cook at a time?
    I cook 1-2 days at a time. It only takes about 30-45 mins every day. I go through about 2-3 lbs of chicken every day.

The method of cooking only really changes how much oil is used and therefor how much fat the food absorbs through cooking.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jklipouse View Post
    Cooked weight divided by raw weight=The number you multiply the mount you want by

Ex: Say you want 6 oz. You would take 15.1 and divide it by 18.9. THis gives you roughly 0.80. You multiply 6 by this 0.80 and get 4.80. This is how much you weigh out to get 6 oz raw

As you can see its somewhat of a hassle and is not something I recommend unless being very strict on macros. There are cooked weight estimates but this is the most accurate when it comes to measuring what you just cooked

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12

Cooked weight divided by raw weight=The number you multiply the mount you want by

Ex: Say you want 6 oz. You would take 15.1 and divide it by 18.9. THis gives you roughly 0.80. You multiply 6 by this 0.80 and get 4.80. This is how much you weigh out to get 6 oz raw

As you can see its somewhat of a hassle and is not something I recommend unless being very strict on macros. There are cooked weight estimates but this is the most accurate when it comes to measuring what you just cooked
    That's what i was looking for i couldn't figured it out thanks! And thanks for all that replied

Thread Information