trainhard82 is offline Junior Member

Ok Diet for a cut???

I read through the TDEE forum and think i have the right idea for what needs to happen to cut correctly. Based on the calculations i have come up with using the formulas provided in the forums here is what my TDEE should be roughly:

182.9cm
    102.058kg

66+1398.1496+914.5-204= 2174.6496 = BMR
    BMRx1.5= 3261.9744 = TDEE

I came up with the following macros with the goal being to cut BF% while still making gains in the gym:

Lift Days : 3257cals/227carbs/124fats/303protein
    Cardio Days: 2677cals/155carbs/112fats/257protein

These are based off a rough draft diet plan I put together. Really the only difference is on Lifting Days i include a Post Workout shake as an additional meal.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Trainhard....what ur weight and bodyfat %

Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    Trainhard....what ur weight and bodyfat %
    Weight is 225lbs. I have not had an official BF% test done so i am guessing between 18-22%

these are the figures for your maintenance cals for the day(thanks 405 lol) based on the percentages you gave. 2700 being the median of 20%bf....its best to be accurate as possible with bf....if u wanted to cut I would say start at about 300-500 under maintenance and adjust as needed....since u dont kno ur exact % I would base it of the median

Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    these are the figures for your maintenance cals for the day(thanks 405 lol) based on the percentages you gave. 2700 being the median of 20%bf....its best to be accurate as possible with bf....if u wanted to cut I would say start at about 300-500 under maintenance and adjust as needed....since u dont kno ur exact % I would base it of the median
    Thanks! I guess i was way off! My question is should i just stick to the 500+ deficit every day or should i stay at maintenance on the days that i lift? I can easily cut carbs and some protein to get to around 2k each day. Its just that when i lift I am thinking i burn a good amount of calories as i am usually doing pretty intense workouts so would that also count towards my deficit? I want to cut but also dont want to put my body in too much of a deficit where it actually hinders my goals...

Quote Originally Posted by trainhard82 View Post

Thanks! I guess i was way off! My question is should i just stick to the 500+ deficit every day or should i stay at maintenance on the days that i lift? I can easily cut carbs and some protein to get to around 2k each day. Its just that when i lift I am thinking i burn a good amount of calories as i am usually doing pretty intense workouts so would that also count towards my deficit? I want to cut but also dont want to put my body in too much of a deficit where it actually hinders my goals...
    I would say stay at your -500 a day but u should take into account what u do burn through exercise/cardio. for example if you're at your deficit and u burn an extra 500 during workout now ur at 1000 deficit....u might want to make that back up....but it's somethin you're gonna have to play around with see

I just wrote down some sample ideas for a meal plan based on close to 2k calories and man this is going to be tough. I know it is worth it once the BF% starts shedding but I feel like i will be eating like a little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by trainhard82 View Post
    I just wrote down some sample ideas for a meal plan based on close to 2k calories and man this is going to be tough. I know it is worth it once the BF% starts shedding but I feel like i will be eating like a little girl.
    I would go with around 22-23k to start out with....and yes its gonna be hard at first then it will become the norm

The issue I am having is a lot of people are preaching that you need 100g fat minimum a day. This leads to about 900cals minimum which is almost half of what i am supposed to intake a day. That combined with trying to get 200+ grams of protein is making coming up with realistic meal plans pretty tough. Here is a sample of what i was thinking:

Meal1:

1 scoop whey
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup oats with almond butter

Meal 2:

1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
    1 handful almonds

Meal 3:

6 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup brown rice
    EVOO

Meal 4:
    5 oz beef tenderloin

Meal 5:
    2 cans chunk light tuna in water
    chopped romaine w/ balsamic dressing

This comes out to: 2032 cals, 82 carbs, 100 fat, 191 protein

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Your fat intake needs to about 20% of your total cals. Of 2000 cals that's 400cals or 45g if fat.

Who told you 100g
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

And where are your veggies?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    And where are your veggies?
    I dont usually have veggies in the AM. With my lunch which is chicken and rice i will add green beans and with my 5oz tenderloin I will have it with brocolli. Dinner is just the salad so my veggies there are the lettuce.

Seeing as how you are saying 45g for fat based on the cut are you thinking i should ditch say the almond butter or the EVOO and increase my oats/rice to make up for that with more carbs? I am trying to stay away from fruits as a carb source due to the high sugar. Then again maybe i am going about this all wrong and just need to be pointed in the right direction

I think it makes sense for most people, particularly those on a first time cut, to aim for a 50/30/20 split. So that'll be 250g protein, 150g carbs and 45g fat based on a straight 2000cals. Adjust accordingly as cals go up or down.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Oh, you're right, minimal fruit when cutting. Veggies don't need to count toward your carbs just worries you weren't having any as none listed.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I think it makes sense for most people, particularly those on a first time cut, to aim for a 50/30/20 split. So that'll be 250g protein, 150g carbs and 45g fat based on a straight 2000cals. Adjust accordingly as cals go up or down.
    At my size do you think 2k calories is a number that makes sense? Maybe it is just me but i feel like I should be eating way more than that on a daily basis especially with either lifting or doing cardio pretty much every day. As mentioned above I am 225lbs around 18-22% bf (guesstimated) and am 30 years old at 6'0"

Have a look at this and see if your bodyfat estimate changes?

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...n#.URP6pSggGc0
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Have a look at this and see if your bodyfat estimate changes?

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...n#.URP6pSggGc0
    Interesting. Based on the descriptions i would say 15-20%. Based on the pictures i would say 20-25%...

Can you post a pic? If you're 20% I'd say have your cals at 2200. If you're 25% I'd have your cals at 2000.

You'll be hungry but that's the side effect of cutting and the penance we have to pay for letting things get out of hand.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Can you post a pic? If you're 20% I'd say have your cals at 2200. If you're 25% I'd have your cals at 2000.

You'll be hungry but that's the side effect of cutting and the penance we have to pay for letting things get out of hand.
    This is a couple months old but right around where i still am:

lets split the difference and go with 2100cals then.

260g pro
    160g carbs
    47g fat

I'd recommend you put that into a 3 or 4 meal plan. At least that way your meals will be bigger and you'll get some satiation at some point.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

thanks. I am going to give that a shot and buy one of those Omron BF% Estimators. This way even if the device is off i can compare it weekly and see how i am doing. Sometimes the scale is tough to judge because of how muscle growth could technically increase weight but not BF%.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Why bother with a BF% estimator, weigh yourself every 2 weeks and just look in the mirror...don't obsess over your %
    A mirror has always been my judge, but that's just my opinion

One week down and i feel pretty good. Weighed in this morning at 221.5. Started at 225 so not too bad. I tracked everything on MyFitnessPal and tried to stay within my macros as much as possible. The biggest thing was not going over the 2100 calories. I packed meals for the day almost all week but there were times where i had to deviate which is why the numbers were a little off some days. Really motivated to keep up with this. I love drinking beer and there were numerous times this week where I had to say no to drinking with some family/friends because the beers would have taken me over 2100 calories and that's not what i wanted to do. Here were my macros for the week:

Mon - 2088cals/43fat/229carbs/194protein
    Tue - 2050cals/54fat/203carbs/171protein
    Wed - 2020cals/57fat/140carbs/181protein
    Thu - 2033cals/75fat/132carbs/192protein
    Fri - 2110cals/66fat/140carbs/202protein
    Sat - 2143cals/87fat/130carbs/191protein
    Sun - 2095cals/87fat/166carbs/161protein

The question i have is the days i am doing cardio and burning 300-400 calories. Should i eat 300-400 calories more that day or just stick with the 2100 i have been allotting myself?

Week two was just as good. Enjoyed one "cheat" day in which i just didnt worry about macros. I didnt pig out too much. Had a couple slices of pizza and some wings which suprisingly didnt satisfy as much as i expected. Had a couple beers with some friends and it seemed to hit me a lot more than before. I guess i am a light weight now! Weighed in at 219lbs so thats down 2.5lbs from last week. If i can keep that pace up i will be happy. Noticing some differences in the mirror which is nice and still gaining strength on my lifts which is also nice. Here were the macros for the week:

Mon - 2566cals/124fat/209carbs/151protein
    Tue - 2207cals/97fat/119carbs/193protein
    Wed - 1981cals/61fat/143carbs/201protein
    Thu - 2367cals/79fat/96carbs/197protein
    Fri - 2014cals/79fat/93carbs/188protein
    Sat - 2076cals/84fat/113carbs/216protein
    Sun - Cheat Day

Thread Information