ickythump is offline Member

tips for people working out in the am

Does anyone have any diet advice (i.e. how to best utilize macros i guess) for people who workout in the am? I tried to search around but was not finding much...thanks

Bouch is offline Member
    please post your stats? Weight, Height, Age, BF%. And what are your goals. Gain or Loose?

5'8"....170lbs....27 years old....sadly don't know body fat, feel like I'm around 17% as i am similar in comp to when i know i was......i want to basically gain size with minimal fat (don't we all lol) but i eat clean and well, I'm just curious maybe in how and when to fit carbs I'm as must diets are geared towards pm exercise

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I workout 4-5 days a week starting at 6am, and have been doing so consistently for nearly 4 years now.

I'll be the first to say I don't think it's ideal, at least not for me. The few times I have gone to the gym in the early evening, I have worked out with MUCH better intensity and my lifts were simply stronger. Just a matter of being fully awake, warmed up, etc. But it is what it is, my schedule doesn't allow for that on a consistent basis, so i'm a lifetime early bird with regards to the gym.

With that said, I wake at 4:40am and have all my food prepared (as much as possible) - breakfast is the first thing I do. Well, after pissing and putting in my contacts. I'm finished eating by roughly 5:10am - I try to aim for at least an hour of digestion time, although 1.5 hours would be ideal. My preworkout meal is carb heavy (relatively speaking) as is my PWO shake (oats added right into the shake). I'm eating meal 3 by 10:30am which is also a large-ish carb meal. The next 3 meals are lower/no carb as bodyfat is always a concern for me.

So to sum this up - morning workouts are no different than any other time of day with regards to nutrition. Focus your carbs around your workout window... fuel your activity.

Hope this helps.

Bouch is offline Member
    ^^^^ Agreed

Bouch is offline Member
    If you want to gain you'll want to find your TDEE to start, so that you know you are getting the right amount of calories in daily from the right sources to fuel your gains. Check out this thread.
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...e#.UH7bfO0W9BI

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    am strength training in a fasted state never a good idea = blood sugar crash being the real issues

however eating sooner than 1.5 hours before a workout is not ideal either, the issue is blood is diverted to the digestive system and thus will be fighting back and forth with the muscles for the available blood for oxygen...

For me, a lean muscle building goal is best served if you work out with a full glycogen load that is 300-400 cals stored in the liver.. you can't do that in a fasted state and thus the workout is not optimal.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    It's hard for me to hit the gym early. Almost like I don't have enough food in the "pipeline" to keep me going before I poop out. I like to have two good solid meals before I go. Else I lose out on intensity

^^ yep. One of the main reasons behind my lack of/dreadfully slow progress.

Thanks for the responses guys...i honestly have no problem getting motivated to get up i like that it's out if the way, plus i have a 16 month old son so if i workout in the evenings he's asleep not long after i arrive home...i spent my whole workout career exercising at later times but haven't noticed a decrease in strength, but as I'm new i thought I'd ask for tips (about 3 months into am workouts) thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ickythump View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys...i honestly have no problem getting motivated to get up i like that it's out if the way, plus i have a 16 month old son so if i workout in the evenings he's asleep not long after i arrive home...i spent my whole workout career exercising at later times but haven't noticed a decrease in strength, but as I'm new i thought I'd ask for tips (about 3 months into am workouts) thanks again
    We're more alike than I thought. I have a 13 month old son at home. Also don't have a problem getting up, etc. and enjoy getting it out of the way. Only thing is the noticeable strength/intensity increase the few times I've worked out in the evening.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    We're more alike than I thought. I have a 13 month old son at home. Also don't have a problem getting up, etc. and enjoy getting it out of the way. Only thing is the noticeable strength/intensity increase the few times I've worked out in the evening.
    plus there are females walking around for motivation in the evenings!

yoga pants!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    So you want to bulk at 17%? Personally I would cut first before bulking but I know that isn't your question.

You could try back loading your carbs so that you definitely have a fair amount in your last meal and maybe the one before that too. Also, if you can't face food pre morning workout make sure you are taking in some BCAA's.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    with all that said, you might just want to look into IF (intermittent fasting). it may suit you better

there are a lot of sites out there and there is an ongoing thread in here somewheres

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Great timing on this thread. I worked out in the morning today for the first time in...decades?

It was horrible. I started off strong and heavy, but ran out of steam quickly as I knew I would.

I made the last minute decision to work out this morning because I wouldn't be able to in the evening (date night). I didn't even have enough time to slam down some food if I wanted to get to the gym and to the office at a decent hour.

Oh well, better than nothing, I suppose.

[QUOTE=SteM;6217535]So you want to bulk at 17%? Personally I would cut first before bulking but I know that isn't your question.

I guess i thought i should bulk THEN cut, I've heard it's easier? I'm a tough cutter so maybe I've got it wrong?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    If you bulk you WILL gain fat. I'd rather cut for 12weeks to get from 17 to 10% rather than 20 weeks or more to get there from over 20%. Honestly, some people just wanna be big and strong, if that's you then go for it, seriously. If you care about aesthetics then 10% looks Breyer than 20% and day of the week.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

@cajun: i will be taking a closer look at the IF, and make sure you're careful yoga pants can be deceiving!!
    @gbrice: thus us a fun age man you'll enjoy your son learning it's awesome!
    @jvegas:i always hear the best time is when you can go
    @stem: as i hard cutter, as mentioned, i will take this advice i know what it's like to try and lose my body fat!

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    If you bulk you WILL gain fat. I'd rather cut for 12weeks to get from 17 to 10% rather than 20 weeks or more to get there from over 20%. Honestly, some people just wanna be big and strong, if that's you then go for it, seriously. If you care about aesthetics then 10% looks Breyer than 20% and day of the week.
    x2. I was roughly 9-10% in my avy at 193lbs. I'm about 206lbs right now at ~ 16%. I look like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by ickythump View Post
    @gbrice: thus us a fun age man you'll enjoy your son learning it's awesome!
    Best thing that ever happened in my life. Loving being a daddy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    It's hard for me to hit the gym early. Almost like I don't have enough food in the "pipeline" to keep me going before I poop out. I like to have two good solid meals before I go. Else I lose out on intensity
    agreeed

morado02 is offline Junior Member
    guys, what if someone has a hard time to eat at that hour?
    Is it ok to get a shake with protein powder and let's say some oats for pre-workout and then another shake post work out and for the rest of the meals solid food? everything with the macros and amounts of each thing checked

digsy1983 is offline Member
    I wouldnt stress to much about only have a shake with outs pre and post workout. It that's all that your life/work style permits than its the best you can do. I wouldnt purposely factor in a shake if I had time to eat tho, real food every time over a shake in my book.

Thread Information