AZ Muscle is offline New Member

Eating lean to get strong, not bulk

Hey guys just signed up today and want to hear from the experts here. I am not taking any juice right now and haven't. I just recently got into doing strong man and need a little advice on my diet. I am not looking to bulk but I am looking to add on some muscle I have seen many diet recommendations posted for people juicing and when I do a cycle I will take that into consideration but need some pre cycle right. My diet currently looks like this

Meal one:
    Whey isolate Protein shake
    Meal 2:
    Chicken breast brown rice
    Meal 3:
    Whey isolate shake
    Meal 4:
    Lean steak/beef
    Meal:
    Another whey shake
    It totals around 4000 cal a day

I work out 4 days a week one of those days is event training and the other 3 are pretty intense workouts.

Any useful input is appreciated. Thanks

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Muscle View Post
    Hey guys just signed up today and want to hear from the experts here. I am not taking any juice right now and haven't. I just recently got into doing strong man and need a little advice on my diet. I am not looking to bulk but I am looking to add on some muscle I have seen many diet recommendations posted for people juicing and when I do a cycle I will take that into consideration but need some pre cycle right. My diet currently looks like this

Meal one:
    Whey isolate Protein shake
    Meal 2:
    Chicken breast brown rice
    Meal 3:
    Whey isolate shake
    Meal 4:
    Lean steak/beef
    Meal:
    Another whey shake
    It totals around 4000 cal a day

I work out 4 days a week one of those days is event training and the other 3 are pretty intense workouts.

Any useful input is appreciated. Thanks
    how did you come up with 4000 calories from that? and please dont say an app on your phone.

to do strong man style training you need to eat big to help your CNS recover, even more so you PWO and PPWO nutrition is even more important for strength athletes then for body builders. Missing a large square meal after heavy dead's and squats could mean the next day in the gym a loss of strength or possibility of injury. Strength athletes dont look at it as bulking its a means to an end. Their are genetically strong guys that are lean and small. but like everything genetics plays a huge role. as do drugs. I knew a local strong man who was massive, has some power lifting records and is a monster of a man. He went to 3-4 world strong man and couldn't place cause the drug use of the other athletes took them to another level.

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Also the amount of shakes to ratio of whole food and the lack of any veggies shows there is a serious lack of balance or proper nutrition in your diet. post your goals and personal stats

jpowell is offline Banned
    time to go to work--that diet is in need of dire help--without proper diet youll most likely set urself up for failure.

what are your stats bro?

age ?
    weight ?
    height ?
    bodyfat% ?
    years training/working out ?
    goals: lean bulk sounds like.

Thanks for the input guys.

Weight:255
    Height:6'
    Body fat: 17.6% (taken yesterday by trainer)
    Working out, 5 years, strongman training 1 month
    Goals: strength, lean bulk

Mockery, I got that calorie count by adding all the calories in each meal and the calories in my shakes comes to just under 4

I train hard 3 days a week and do event training on Saturdays in fact I am on my way there in about 1 hour. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

if that meal proposed up top is 4k--edit it to include meal portions.

currently what do you feel like when you train with your trainer and even by urself? lagging or busting balls? do you use any sups?

jpowell, the protein shake is (this is off the top of my head as I am not home right now) is 480 cal 64g protein, chicken and rice is 600 cal, shake again is same 480, steak is 550 cal rice with that meal I believe is 300, shake again is same 480, than after work out I usually eat one chicken breast and have another shake so another 300 and 480 so around 3670 a day

I really only use a trainer once a week and even after working out with him or by myself I feel like I am busting balls but there are days I am lagging. I only take protein shakes and a pre workout NOXPLODE

Ok I'm on my phone now, buy webb I get to my laptop it'll make more sense as I elaborate further....

Ok you gave us the cals, but wat about the break down...protein/carb/fat intake on each and everything you eat..

Also I think the supps with the no aren't to beneficial, but thas my personal opinion. I'd ditch that. Sense I've reli dialed in my diet I don't use a supp and I get all nutrients from food. And my focus has changed vs being on a preworkout.

Have you worked out your numbers tdee?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

Ill be honest with you I have never broken it down that much I really only broke down to the calories. Eating super clean is very new to me, I have always "watched" what I eat and don't eat a lot of trash but that's where I need the help with. I try and eat at least 200g protein. That's really all I have been focusing on.

whatt-- you have to pay attention to the breakdown of what your eating not just count the cals-- without--how do you know close to 200 grams of pro??

once you figure out your tdee--thatll tell you how much cals you need to maintain--then to either cut or bulk --subtract or add to it usaully at the 300-500 level. have you read the stickies yet?

your about 1 inch or so taller than me, but got me by 20 lbs--so, so i would think you have fat--in the areas of midsection...but what im getting at is that 20 lbs--w/o distributing macros according---makes a hell of a difference..

think about competitors--coming in at 215 solid--ripped as **** arnd are same height..they count every thing they put into their bodies, and know how much of to aim for...

check out the stickies and report back to us--let us know what you come up with please.

Ok I went through some like you said and I have been really tracking what I eat today. According to the calculator I got a TDEE of 3654. So if I am only eating 3500-3700 cal a day that would explain why I'm not getting stronger, and I am just maintaining correct? Also so far today my meals look like this
    Breakfast:560cals/5carbs/28g fat/67g protein/0 sugar
    Meal 2:350cal/37g carbs/8g fat/38g protein/0 sugar
    Meal 3:275cal/12g carb/2g fat/46g protein/0 sugar
    Meal:4 will be dinner elk steak, veg, baked potato ( haven't don't calculation on this yet)

Now I know what your saying about knowing but I need the help with figuring it all out and finding the right combo

As for body fat I have17.6% right now and I would say yes the bulk of that is from my mid section but honestly most of the competitors are not ripped like in body building but they are strong as hell. Honestly most have a good sized gut.

ok good stuff--

1. simply put yes--your eating to maintain which is why no gains.
    2. your protein is way to low-- you shod aim at least 1g / per pound (more advanced use lean body weight)
    3. your fats are low--
    4. carbs are low--carbs are two sided--you need to eat to grow, but eating too much or the wrong ones and you get fat--
    5. this is the hard work required to get everything in check, then itll all be easier
    6.yes i forgot your a powerlifter not bodybuilder. sorry.

well get you together sooner or later

try this: 3654 cals to maintain, + 500 to bulk = 4154 cals daily
    or take body weight and mutliply by 12-15 depending activity level (12 sedentary-15 very active)

(for simplicity)
    4154 x (% you want of pro)
    4154 x (% you want of carbs)
    4154 x (% you want of fats)

most ppl use 40/40/20 wen cutting--you may think this number to b high in carbs, so youll adjust accordingly- example dropping carbs to 30% and increasing pro or fat by that 10.

for bulking simply put what you want the numbers to--pro 30%, carbs 50%, fat 20%..
    so ull take your number
    4154 x .30=
    4154x .50
    4154x.20

those end numbers tell you how manys cals a day total you need for each category giving you your end result of total cals per day 4154.

then ull take the end number and divide--4 for pro, 4 for carbs, 9 for fats

4154/4
    4154/4
    4154/9

then divide this number by how many meals to eat a day--between 5-8 small meals-2.5-3 hrs apart
    this number gives you the amount to aim for per meal, to eat to grow. not eating this number will cause the stagnant results you are already experiencing.

now this is the hard part--its all done for you..(simplicity, may have left things out more advanced members do/use)

simply go to like my plate.com (live strong) or myfitness pal, pick out some foods and create a nutrition plan. then bring it back to us for more work.
    Last edited by jpowell; 11-05-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: wouldnt you like to know?

Thread Information