Thread: Nutrtion Help

junk2222yard is offline Associate Member

Nutrtion Help

I mostly post in the HRT forum -- I have been on 100mg Test E./week for 3 months.

I am 6'3, 42 years, 253 lbs, 31% body fat. I cannot lose weight, despite having an active lifestyle. I think my metabolism is very low, though my thyroid panels come back in range. Disconcertingly, my body temp is rarely above 36 degrees Celsius -- with 35.5 about my average. (Google shows that this *may* be a sign of slow thyroid, but it seems like a controversial subject.)

My typical diet is, in order:

Breakfast/Snack: Coffee with cream and 1 cube sugar, small bowl of Cheerios or bowl of Fibre One
    Lunch: 3 Eggs and Bacon (supposedly nitrate free, but I have read that is a scam), glass of OJ
    Snack 1: Fruit Shake (half banana, handful of strawberries, homo milk and full fat plain yogurt)
    Snack 2: Apple, OR Handful of Cashews, OR Swiss Cheese
    Snack 3: Protein Bar, another coffee
    Dinner: 1-2 beers, and something like:
    a. chilly or burrito with rice
    b. steak and rice OR corn
    c. chicken breast and rice OR corn
    Late snack: Plain yogurt with granola

As a rule, I do not eat much (or any) sweets on Mon-Fri, and I try to eat less carbs for dinner during this time, too. Mon-Fri I drink water, beer, and coffee. No soda at all.
    On Friday I eat pasta, and do eat sweets Saturday and Sunday, but nothing crazy.

I lift weights 3x per week, and do cardio in the form of "I don't own a car", and get around on bike. I also deliver my daughter to the nanny on foot 2x/week, which involves 2.5 hours of walking. (40 minutes each way, dropping her off and picking her up.)

I know I am not starving myself, but I cannot believe I am 250 pounds!! I eat very little junk. Since starting TRT I gave GAINED 5 lbs!! (I figure it is muscle, though, but my body fat has not budged.)

It is very frustrating because I am way more active than most people my age, eat better than most, but my sluggish metabolism means I stay fat while others that do half the activity (or less) are thinner.

Here are body pics I just took now... you can see I carry most of my weight in my oversized belly. Lately I have had a shortness of breath, and a tightness in my chest, and fear I am ripe for a heart attack! Which would be understandable if I was lethargic, but as I say, I am leading an active lifestlyle and eat ok too (I think). I just don't get it. Insights are appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body-nov-14-2012.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	453.5 KB 
ID:	129161

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I've seen guys who work their asses off, both with weights and cardio, yet they don't look the part. In almost every case, diet is the problem. I am willing to bet this is the case with you.

[QUOTE=junk2222yard;6259149]

My typical diet is, in order:

Quote Originally Posted by junk2222yard View Post
    Breakfast/Snack: Coffee with cream and 1 cube sugar, small bowl of Cheerios or bowl of Fibre One
    First meal after a fast (sleep) - zero protein. Missed opportunity to kickstart protein synthesis and fire up metabolism. I'd be having 1-2 whole eggs, 1/2 cup whites, a protein shake or Canadian bacon (what we call Canadian bacon. Not sure if it's actually called that in Canada, lol), and 1/2 cup oats w/ berries.

Lunch: 3 Eggs and Bacon (supposedly nitrate free, but I have read that is a scam), glass of OJ
    Fat, fat, fat, washed down with a glass of sugar.

Snack 1: Fruit Shake (half banana, handful of strawberries, homo milk and full fat plain yogurt)
    More sugar, fat, and light on protein.

Snack 2: Apple, OR Handful of Cashews, OR Swiss Cheese
    Sugar and fat, zero to very little protein.

Snack 3: Protein Bar, another coffee

Dinner: 1-2 beers, and something like:
    a. chilly or burrito with rice
    Beers... really? And you are serious about losing bodyfat? Chili? Burrito? Man, these are not foods that promote fat loss and/or lean gains.

b. steak and rice OR corn
    c. chicken breast and rice OR corn
    Now we're talking, minus the corn. However, not a single mention of greens anywhere in your diet.

Late snack: Plain yogurt with granola
    A fat and carb heavy meal late at night. Again, completely counter productive to reducing bodyfat.

Honestly, your diet is horrendous. I have zero doubt that this is why you're failing to achieve fat loss. It needs a complete overhaul. You may not be eating 'junk food' in the true sense of the term (e.g. chips, cookies, ice cream, etc) but your diet is loaded with sugar and fat. I'm willing to bet protein is by far your lightest macro nutrient. You should be eating a high protein, low-moderate carbs, low fat diet.

Do you even have any idea of how much you're eating, in terms of calories and/or macro nutrients? If not, you need to start tracking. Guessing and estimating doesn't work in this game when you want to be serious. Trust me on this one.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I am not being defensive, but in the interest of thoroughness I should add:

1. on weights days (Sat and Sun, and 1 day during the week) I drink a whey protein shake with glutamine and creative post workout, and
    2. sometimes I drink the same protein shake in place of Snack 1, 2 or 3

Also, is regular bacon bad for you? And is eating bacon and eggs 5-6 days a week ok, if I do it first thing and drop the OJ?

Finally, I was under the impression fat was ok, but sugar and carbs were the bad guys...

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I am not being defensive, but in the interest of thoroughness I should add:
    No worries

1. on weights days (Sat and Sun, and 1 day during the week) I drink a whey protein shake with glutamine and creative post workout, and
    2. sometimes I drink the same protein shake in place of Snack 1, 2 or 3
    Certainly better, but not a game changer. If it were, you'd be making progress, right?

Also, is regular bacon bad for you?
    In the context of what we're about here - yes, IMO. It's high in fat, relatively low in protein, and loaded with sodium and loaded with nitrates/nitrites (not sure about your's, but i'd be suspicous).

And is eating bacon and eggs 5-6 days a week ok, if I do it first thing and drop the OJ?
    I eat eggs every single day, but not 3 whole. I usually do 1 whole to every 3 whites (I buy the carton of liquid egg whites, very convenient). Eggs are an excellent protein source, and the yolk is loaded with nutrients - BUT unfortunately the protein:fat ratio on eggs is nearly even, making them difficult to fit in as a primary protein source where keeping fat intake low is a priority (and it should be).

Finally, I was under the impression fat was ok, but sugar and carbs were the bad guys...
    There are no "bad guys" - well, with the exception of sugar. Sugar has no place in a healthy diet. Even fruit, while considered 'healthy', is loaded with sugar. I keep fruit intake very low when cutting bodyfat is my primary goal. I keep it around my workout window, and to be honest I usually opt for berries over fruits like oranges and apples. Lower calorie, lower sugar, high antioxidant, etc. That said, I'd rather see you eating an orange than drinking OJ. At least you'd benefit from the fiber. but personally i'd ditch it completely.

Everything in moderation. Too many calories make people fat... not carbs, not fat. Carbs are definitely not the 'bad guys', but diets have to be designed somewhat systematically to work towards our goals.

Ok, thanks for the details.

Here is the thing: I don't want to "cut weight", and I don't want to take the enjoyment out of eating. By not "cutting weight" I mean I want to come up with a plan that I can do forever; not a temporary thing. So, do you think if I make these modifications, I will see results?

1. I will have a protein shake 1st thing in the morning instead of cereal. I will have it with water, not milk
    2. When I do have milk (I put some in my fruit shakes and a dab in my scrambled eggs), I will use skim
    3. I will have a beer every couple days, not every day, except Saturday when I will binge drink 15 or more. (Kidding about the binge, but maybe a few.)
    4. I can get rid of all juice, except on Saturday and Sunday.
    5. I will make my bacon and eggs with 2 egg whites, and 1 whole egg

I can't get rid of my apple or my fruit shake (banana and strawberry)... but I can:
    6. Add whey protein to the shake

With these tweaks, would I see results? I feel just "no juice, only skim milk, and little beer" should make a huge change calory-wise? Please keep in mind I am a 42 year old family man, not some young whipper-snapper training for the My.Olympia.
    Last edited by junk2222yard; 11-16-2012 at 12:58 PM.

^^ Understood. I'm a 37 year old family man myself, certainly not a 'whipper-snapper'. Nobody can answer whether or not you'll see results. You have to put the plan into motion and find out for yourself. The main thing is to be disciplined and consistent; i.e. whatever changes you DO decide to make, stick with them and monitor your progress closely. Make additional changes as needed.

Ok thought I would update this, as I have made a *little* progress. Biggest adjustment is the diet above, and adding Natural Dessicated Thyroid to the mix, as I was officially diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have also began "Intermittent Fasting" (16 hours fast, 8 hour feed), and avoiding wheat, but only for a few days, and it has not had a big impact yet.

Nov 2012 Stats: I am 6'3, 42 years, 253 lbs, 31% body fat
    Feb 2013 stats: I am 6'3, 43 years, 249 lbs, 29% body fat.

So, a little less fat, a little more muscle, but a loooong way to go.

Name:	body-2-feb-26-2013.jpg 
Views:	3478 
Size:	530.0 KB 
ID:	134094
    Last edited by junk2222yard; 02-26-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Another update... better progress although I don't see it much. But numbers don't lie. Eliminating wheat and intermittent fasting are helping lose some body fat. FINALLY. I will just keep this program going until it plateaus.

NOV 2012 Stats: I am 6'3, 42 years, 253 lbs, 31% body fat
    APR 2013 stats: I am 6'3, 43 years, 240 lbs, 26% body fat.

Name:	body-3-apr-13-2013.jpg 
Views:	7191 
Size:	585.5 KB 
ID:	137229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body-3-apr-13-2013.jpg 
Views:	7191 
Size:	585.5 KB 
ID:	137229

This small image is a 5 month comparison pic... The results are not staggering but slow and healthy and I feel maintainable. I hope.

Name:	cmpare-1-smal.jpg 
Views:	12085 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	137230
    Last edited by junk2222yard; 04-13-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Anther update... progress is slowing, but at least there is still progress. Little wheat still, little alcohol (and when I do indulge it is ciders), little juice or milk. No eating between 9pm and noon.

NOV 2012 stats: I am 6'3, 42 years, 253 lbs, 31% body fat
    APR 2013 stats: I am 6'3, 43 years, 240 lbs, 26% body fat.
    JULY 2013 stats: I am 6'3, 43 years, 234 lbs, 25% body fat.

Name:	compare-4-and-1.jpg 
Views:	2242 
Size:	796.4 KB 
ID:	141594

Thread Information