wannabeme is offline Junior Member

Please Comment on this diet

Hi All!

I'm not really "unhappy" with the results I get when I "try". My biggest problem is sticking with it. That being said, I am always looking for ways to improve, and I'm sure even my "trying" diet could be tweaked. Maybe if my efforts were rewarded better it would be easier to get motivated to stick with it...

By the way it seems very easy for me to start gaining fat if I go above 2300 calories a day - and I am intentionally cutting myself by about 500 calories short a day because losing the fat is more important than adding mass at the moment. When I DO stick with this, I am gaining about 1-1.5 pound muscle per month, losing 3-4 pounds fat per month. 41yrs old. Have only added about 6 pounds of muscle so far over my couch potato state. If there is an obvious accelerator pedal here, let me know!

Stats:
    Lifting - each muscle 6-12 sets 1x per week - split into 3 days
    (no other exercise or cardio of significance)
    5'11" 180 pounds 18%BF (148lbs LBM)

Daily Macros:
    133g protein, 170g carb, 60g fats (about 1800 calories total)

Proteins are about 2/3 clean meats great variety (chicken, fish, pork, some beef) and 1/3 whey and BCAAs (mostly whey obviously)
    Carbs are mostly fruits and veggies, with the occasional starch, and I actually just dump 2-3 teaspoons of sugar in my post workout whey drink to help replace glycogen and control cortisol. Fats are mainly monounsaturated (olive oil, macadamia nuts, almonds).

During workout I sip on 5grams of BCAAs, then slam another 5g after the last rep. About 30 mins after that I do my whey and sugar drink. Pre-workout I just make sure I still have at least 100-200 calories of food in the stomach to get me through, and I am a big fan of GPLC (GlycoCarn) pre workout - I look super-pumped in about 30 minutes before I even touch the iron. That said, I JUST started the GPLC again after many months off just due to laziness. I am NOT a fan of any pre workout stimulant - do not like the feeling even if it boosts strength.

I also take Omega 3's daily (800mg EPA, 400mg DHA), and alternate days between a Centrum multivitamin and product called Polyphenols Plus from ZoneDiet - which is food-based vitamins from a wide variety of plant sources.

I think the first thing I will hear is to up the protein at least - but - maybe this is unfounded but I am a little concerned about too much protein. Isn't that harsh on the kidneys or something, processing all of that nitrogen? Anyway thanks in advance for any feedback!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    wannabe welcome man. read sticky: dieting 101: cutting

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...g#.UKapjofedP8

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome!

Keep in mind this: Slow wins the race and consistency is key.

Good luck to you!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeme View Post
    Hi All!

I'm not really "unhappy" with the results I get when I "try". My biggest problem is sticking with it. That being said, I am always looking for ways to improve, and I'm sure even my "trying" diet could be tweaked. Maybe if my efforts were rewarded better it would be easier to get motivated to stick with it...

By the way it seems very easy for me to start gaining fat if I go above 2300 calories a day - and I am intentionally cutting myself by about 500 calories short a day because losing the fat is more important than adding mass at the moment. When I DO stick with this, I am gaining about 1-1.5 pound muscle per month, losing 3-4 pounds fat per month. 41yrs old. Have only added about 6 pounds of muscle so far over my couch potato state. If there is an obvious accelerator pedal here, let me know!

Stats:
    Lifting - each muscle 6-12 sets 1x per week - split into 3 days
    (no other exercise or cardio of significance)
    5'11" 180 pounds 18%BF (148lbs LBM)

Daily Macros:
    133g protein, 170g carb, 60g fats (about 1800 calories total)

Proteins are about 2/3 clean meats great variety (chicken, fish, pork, some beef) and 1/3 whey and BCAAs (mostly whey obviously)
    Carbs are mostly fruits and veggies, with the occasional starch, and I actually just dump 2-3 teaspoons of sugar in my post workout whey drink to help replace glycogen and control cortisol. Fats are mainly monounsaturated (olive oil, macadamia nuts, almonds).

During workout I sip on 5grams of BCAAs, then slam another 5g after the last rep. About 30 mins after that I do my whey and sugar drink. Pre-workout I just make sure I still have at least 100-200 calories of food in the stomach to get me through, and I am a big fan of GPLC (GlycoCarn) pre workout - I look super-pumped in about 30 minutes before I even touch the iron. That said, I JUST started the GPLC again after many months off just due to laziness. I am NOT a fan of any pre workout stimulant - do not like the feeling even if it boosts strength.

I also take Omega 3's daily (800mg EPA, 400mg DHA), and alternate days between a Centrum multivitamin and product called Polyphenols Plus from ZoneDiet - which is food-based vitamins from a wide variety of plant sources.

I think the first thing I will hear is to up the protein at least - but - maybe this is unfounded but I am a little concerned about too much protein. Isn't that harsh on the kidneys or something, processing all of that nitrogen? Anyway thanks in advance for any feedback!
    i have that same problem

toilet is offline Banned
    Your calories seem so low. Gaining fat at 2300 is crazy. I cut on that and lose weight fast and I weigh less than you. Maybe eat some foods that speed up your metabolism because you probably barely get in the desired protein/fats in a day let alone the carbs you need on that amount of calories.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    wannabe welcome man. read sticky: dieting 101: cutting
    Thanks for the reference! So my sedentary TDEE is 2171 and what I estimate when for when I'm lifting is 2489 as it amounts to no about 3-4 hours a week.

This means I'm cutting by 689 calories a day when training. I've heard of cutting by 500 daily being somewhat the "limit", so I'd say I'm slightly over the limit but not by a long shot. I don't "feel" metabolicly "slow" but then again who knows. I CAN, however, relate to the "binging" stuff for sure. I don't know if that's actual hunger or just compulsive behavior. :-) I've also heard it's good to have between 1-3 "cheat" meals and I'd say that's what I do. My cheats would be something like 6 12-oz brews and a fat cheeseburger, once or twice a week. I reckon that's about 1500 calories or so + the simulated calories of the ethanol. Yikes. Where does it stop being a cheat and start being a binge?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Thanks for the reference! So my sedentary TDEE is 2171 and what I estimate when for when I'm lifting is 2489 as it amounts to no about 3-4 hours a week.

This means I'm cutting by 689 calories a day when training. I've heard of cutting by 500 daily being somewhat the "limit", so I'd say I'm slightly over the limit but not by a long shot. I don't "feel" metabolicly "slow" but then again who knows. I CAN, however, relate to the "binging" stuff for sure. I don't know if that's actual hunger or just compulsive behavior. :-) I've also heard it's good to have between 1-3 "cheat" meals and I'd say that's what I do. My cheats would be something like 6 12-oz brews and a fat cheeseburger, once or twice a week. I reckon that's about 1500 calories or so + the simulated calories of the ethanol. Yikes. Where does it stop being a cheat and start being a binge?
    LOL.. 3 cheat meals per week?? obviously the results u wanted should determine this number but IMO 3 is too many if u want to be lean. just starting out i would go a month without any!

12beers and 2 cheeseburgers per week on a cutting diet! sign me up for that one!

bad info IMO..

at 180lbs 18%bf u have 147.6lbs LBM

rough maintenance: LBM x 15 = 2214cals

to cut u should start around 1900cals IMO..

To try to answer your question. A cheat would be pre-planned with an intention of a beginning and an end. It can be a meal which includes a lot of what you want to eat but actually ends as opposed to continuing. A binge is unplanned and can go on and on wondering when in the heck it will end. And usually a cheat would be at most once a week and sometimes even longer in between cheats ideally waiting at least 10-14 days or so, so you achieve what you wish to achieve.

Once one of the top gurus said it best. If you cheat from Friday afternoon just thru the weekend this is about 33% of your time cheating. And with 33% spent cheating, it is very difficult to transform. And transforming is the goal.

All of this takes time with baby steps. If it were easy everyone would do it. And IMO the key is to pick foods you really like which are pre-approved around here and concentrate on those foods so you stick to it. We all have our unique approach but when it comes down to it, it is scientific with input-output. And remember: consistency is key and slow wins the race.

Please feel free to start a log so the members can help you tweak along the way.

Good luck to you!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

ps: and when we say cheat, we mean cheat! But only very very seldom like I mentioned every 10- 14 days especially in the beginning. And quite frankly try to wait even longer between cheats in the beginning.
    Here is a thread for your amusement to see what some of the members do for a cheat.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...l#.UKhTdhwU66Z
    Author Unknown

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    hi wannabe...I did a modest cheat meal once a week initially; now I can't afford to cheat but even more rarely cuz as i leaned out, my body just doesn't require as many calories. I like the cheat meal concept, cuz it gave me something to look forward to every week. I would say "i can't have this because today is not my cheat day" and then i seemed to enjoy my cheat meal even more. Planning is key but you can't go overboard! Work out and eat right all week long only to negate 6 days of progress??? I think it depends on what works best for you based on your mindset and pysche! Since you have a hard time sticking with the plan, decide what is going to motivate you the most!!!

Your Daily Macros need to be tweaked...your protein is low, carbs and fat too high IMO. A log will help! Good luck to ya!!!

Yeah I fully admit the cheats are not planned, they are a result of lowered inhibition - which is result of beer - which itself is likely a result of too low of calories and the temptation of it just sitting in the fridge by me all day every day ( I work from home ). I think it's time to keep the fridge clear of such things - it's a lot easier to walk to the fridge and pop a top vs. having to drive to some store.

So P/C/F macro calories of 30/40/30 should be changed to 40/40/20, or 40/30/30, as a starting point?

I will definitely start a log as I'm sure once I REALLY start counting everything some deficiencies will become obvious.

^^ yep. Gotta clear out the fridge. This is crucial. And change the shopping cart too. We all have things we need to really work on otherwise we wouldn't be here I suppose. And starting a log whether perfect or not, will get you going. It has helped me a heck of a lot. Keep in mind patience is required!

Looking forward to your log.
    Author Unknown

Wow thanks for all the support y'all! I am changing my total daily calories to 1900 minimum, shooting for 40/40/20 calorie ratio P/C/F. And I will start writing everything down today to keep myself honest. Will post a log at end of day to record the "before" and all my meals for first day...

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeme
    Wow thanks for all the support y'all! I am changing my total daily calories to 1900 minimum, shooting for 40/40/20 calorie ratio P/C/F. And I will start writing everything down today to keep myself honest. Will post a log at end of day to record the "before" and all my meals for first day...
    Myfitnesspal.com is awesome website for daily tracking. U can even customize your macros .

^^^ cool - thanks! I will check that out...

Thread Information