Thread: vegan diet?

manmanman is offline Associate Member

vegan diet?

Anyone know where i can find a decent.vegan bodybuilding diet?

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    have you tried google yet?

also you can have a read of:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...nutrient-Chart

and pick out some of the foods that you can eat, carbs and fats will be easy enough, but protein is where your gonna have the most trouble, the only veggie i know thats high protein are lentils, and beans i think.. oh and tofu (thats probably one of your best options).

here's a good tofu macro link i found for you:
    http://www.freedieting.com/calories/tofu.htm

some other info i found on google:

lentils:
    Lentils are rich sources of protein, folic acid, dietary fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins, essential amino acids and trace minerals. A 100 g serving of lentils contains 60 g carbohydrates, 31 g dietary fiber, 1 g fat, 26 g protein, 0.87 mg thiamine, 479 μg of folate and 7.5 mg iron. Among the winter growing legumes, lentils have the highest concentration of antioxidants.

soy beans:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4376/2

manmanman is offline Associate Member
    Cheers ill get into it now thanks!

i think with the above info ^^ you should be able to piece together a good diet, write one up and post it.

also a protein powder like whey or pea protein would be good to include into your diet.

hope this helps.

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    my vegan non BB friends struggle to get "complete" protein. i like to see what you come up with!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    my vegan non BB friends struggle to get "complete" protein. i like to see what you come up with!!!!
    what do u mean by that?

i had to look it up myself cuz i had never use this term except my vegan buddies....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein

Complete protein

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Main article: Protein (nutrient)

A complete protein (or whole protein) is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for the dietary needs of humans or other animals.[1] Some incomplete protein sources may contain all essential amino acids, but a complete protein contains them in correct proportions for supporting biological functions in the human body.

The following table lists the optimal profile of the essential amino acids, which comprises a complete protein:[2]

Essential Amino Acid mg/g of Protein
    Tryptophan 7
    Threonine 27
    Isoleucine 25
    Leucine 55
    Lysine 51
    Methionine+Cystine 25
    Phenylalanine+Tyrosine 47
    Valine 32
    Histidine 18

Nearly all foods contain all twenty amino acids in some quantity. However, proportions vary, and some foods are deficient in one or more of the essential amino acids. Apart from some exceptions such as quinoa or soybeans, vegetable sources of protein are more often lower in one or more essential amino acids than animal sources, especially lysine, and to a lesser extent methionine and threonine.[3]

Consuming a mixture of plant-based protein sources can increase the biological value of food. For example, to obtain 25 grams of complete protein from canned pinto beans requires consuming 492 grams (423 kcal), however if combined with 12 grams of Brazil nuts, requires only 364 g of pinto beans (391 kcal).[4] These complementary protein sources do not need to be consumed in the same meal (see Protein combining).

[edit] Sources of complete protein
    Generally, proteins derived from animal foods (meats, fish, poultry, cheese, eggs, yogurt, and milk) are complete, though gelatin is an exception.[1] Proteins derived from plant foods (legumes, grains, and vegetables) tend to have less of one or more essential amino acid.[3] Some are notably low, such as corn protein, which is low in lysine and tryptophan.[5]
    Certain traditional dishes, such as Mexican corn and beans, Japanese soybeans and rice, and Cajun red beans and rice, contain one ingredient which compensates for the lack of essential amino acids in the other in order to fulfill the needs of a complete protein.[6][7]
    Some foods contain all the essential amino acids on their own in a sufficient amount to qualify as a "complete protein". Complete protein foods that also obtain the highest possible Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS) score of 1.0 are certain dairy products (including whey), egg whites, and soy protein isolate.[citation needed] Other foods, such as amaranth, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae[citation needed], buckwheat, hempseed, meat, poultry, Salvia hispanica, soybeans, quinoa, seafood, and spirulina also are complete protein foods, but may not obtain a PDCAAS score of 1.0.
    Last edited by GirlyGymRat; 11-18-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: tmi

ill just extract:

A complete protein (or whole protein) is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for the dietary needs of humans or other animals.[1] Some incomplete protein sources may contain all essential amino acids, but a complete protein contains them in correct proportions for supporting biological functions in the human body.
    there would be a supplement for this like maybe a good multivitamin, or i remember this 1 whey protein powder i was using had all 9 of these Amino Acids + a lot of other stuff..
    it was a syn-tec product

^^^ it's something that can be rectified but vegans have to be aware.

sorry, i must have selected all and pasted - let me go back and edit that loooooonnnnnnnnggggggggggg post!

actually it was a pre workout, found it:
    http://www.synteconline.com.au/ground-zero-p-67.html

supernatural28 is offline Junior Member
    you will find plenty of information if you do your research...there is a veganbodybulding website,,, you will find lots of info there

supernatural28 is offline Junior Member
    you need to know how to eat properly if you are a vegan..otherwise it ll be difficult to pack on the muscle..

Thread Information