rejuvi is offline New Member

Trying to put weight back on after surgery

My first Forum of this type, felt I needed to go a different direction with my goals and would like some advise, everyone here seems quit educated and if you could give a few pointers, it would be highly appreciated. I'n a 50 yo male, that has trained just to stay in shape. I contracted lyme Disease when living in the Florida Keys and it took them years to diagnose the disease to treat, by that time had some permanent damage, I'm 5'11" and was 195 before I got sick. Soon after had to have stomach surgery, from internal damage, I'm 165 now after 6 weeks of broth and 6 months of light fare, But I can't seem to put the weight back on, the stomach surgery still makes it tough to eat at times and force feeding is completely out of the question, my stomach also lost about 25% of it's capacity! I'm on Testosterone therapy (I'm taking 25 units twice per week, prescribed by a Doctor (Testosterone Cypionate ) and 10 units HCG 3 times per week to prevent Hypogonadism) and starting HGH next week. I Was reading that EQ may also help with my eating problem and enhance my eating ability again, Doctor says I look great now....not so much, I'm not happy! No fat, just muscle, BP is 110/70, I just not comfortable at this size. I'm not looking for a crash course, I hear EQ is fairly safe although slow reaction, my problem is more getting the nutrition into my body

Any suggestions would be great and all considered, as I am leaning

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Seems like you need to slowly accustom yourself to eating enough food to gain weight again. Sounds like you know what your doing in the weight room as well. But having not really eaten for do long your going to want to take it slow and just let your body catch up on the appetite problem.
    Last edited by Armykid93; 11-24-2012 at 07:26 PM.

ma_fighter is offline Associate Member
    You say your stomach lost size.
    Did you also have surgery on your intestines? If any length of intestine were removed I guess that your bodys ability to absorb nutrition also took a hit.
    Other then that, try eating more often to increase the cals.
    EQ will make you ravenous, but if yout stomach cant hold the food, then.. being hungry wont help.
    EQ also takes a while to kick in, and even though it doesent aromatise much in comparison to test, I'd keep a close eye on BP

/Maf
    Last edited by ma_fighter; 11-24-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Intestines not touched, upper stomach only, I know it will take time, but I don't have an appetite. I am taking it slow in the weight room, I don't want anymore setbacks and I know if I push it, I could double my recuperation time, I just need the desire to eat and not feel nauseous after

Then stay away from the EQ till you know you can handle the food. You will be hungry for sure, but I doubt your nausea is for any other reason than having had surgery. And feeling friggin starved and not being able to eat enough to stop the hunger is gonna suck!
    If you're having trouble getting the cals you need in, you could always try a lower carb, higher fat diet, As fat is more then twice as energy-dense as carbs or prots. Or just gobble a fistful of natural nuts after each meal.
    I *think* a shotglass full of nuts 5 times a day will equal about 500kcal, but dont quote me on that. I did that calculation a loooong loooong time ago, when I knew next to nothing about nutrition at all.
    I'm still a nutrition-noob, but atleast I know enough to doubt my earlier judgement now :P

/Maf

it's been a process, my first day of soft bland solid food, boiled chicken, mashed potato and boiled cauliflower was a nightmare, a very pain filled evening, to where I was in the embryo position on the floor. I have had to deal with reintroduction of solids into my system, I would rather at least be hungry, get food in me and deal with the after effects as they come, that's what's been going on anyway lol

I do agree, more frequent meals of highly nutritional food, it's tough at times to follow this, I travel for work.

Trying to stay on top of your diet while travelling is a PITA
    Try the nut thingie then. Almonds are 20g protein, 53g fat and 13,4g carbs, 609kcal/100g Your split will most likely be off, but atleast youll be getting the cals.

/Maf

Thank's I was just goggling lunch boxes, sounds like this might be something I haven't made an honest attempt at doing, I can fix this with planning. ordered a few cases of protein bars as well and looks like I'm going Almond shopping. I use Almond milk in my protein shakes, should I be using whole milk?

Thread Information