Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    warmouth is offline Productive Member

Diet for my Wife.

I asked 450 and he said to post here. I am hoping to get expert advice that I can print off for her. She busts her butt in the gym, always has. Mostly cardio, and alot of it. Anyways, I have shared my knowledge from learning fromyou guys, but coming from me, it goes unheard. I am trying to get her to drop cardio down to 3-4x weekly and lift 4x weekly, so I just need some help here.

She is looking to tone up and drop so BF. She is not interested in AAS, but is curious to long term effects they may have, in which I told her that they should be fine as long as long term use or abuse isnt done.

Anyways, her stats:
    5'5"
    140-145lbs depending on the week
    TDEE is roughly 2258 according to an online calculator.

Basically, she has tried several diets and nothing has gotten her the results she is after. She is afraid to take in too much protien as she doesnt want to "look manish". She doesnt understand guys. I am just looking for a decent diet she could use as a guideline, and she will be extremely strict with it. She has alot more self control than myself and will see things through. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks alot!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    What's her bodyfat % dude?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks stem. I was hoping you would chime in. According to my caliper, it is 25%. Thing is, she doesnt look fat, and when she is in clothes you wouldnt be able to tell anything. Looks pretty fit.

Women carry a higher % as far as 'look' goes, than men.

Anyhow, it's bedtime over here so I'll take a look tomorrow bud
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks alot SteM!

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    The stats and training sound about the same as my wife...she is die hard but is at a sticking point. That TDEE sounds a bit high...I believe my wife is somewhere in the 1600-1800 area!

Quote Originally Posted by warmouth
    Thanks stem. I was hoping you would chime in. According to my caliper, it is 25%. Thing is, she doesnt look fat, and when she is in clothes you wouldnt be able to tell anything. Looks pretty fit.
    Did you check the measurements against the female chart? 25% on a woman isn't 'fat' as such, it's an equivalent of approx 18% on a guy. Did you look at the pics I. The sticky for bf%'s?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    I maintain my weight 190 lb at 2300 cals.....I highly doubt her TDEE is more than 1500. Moreover, I have recently battled women mindset and could conclude their problem is rather psychological. Neither science nor experience could convince them they`re wrong!
    Muscle cannot tone up or adopt fit looks......muscle has 3 ways to go;
    1. increase in size
    2. sustain size
    3. decrease in size

One could tone up by losing bodyfat and maintain/increase muscle mass! To do the later you need to get enough protein, end of story.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    I agree with lunk, those online calcualtors are way high, esp for females. my fiance is almost same stats. 1600 is about right.

25% is a good looking girl

is she looking to drop weight?

if so I have my finace on high protein diet 60/20/20 & clen and she is down 13lbs in 1 month. I can send you the link to my log for her.. it will have the diet.

500-700 cals below tdee for her she will drop 1.5-2 lbs per week.

I have my fiance at 1000 about. and shes is full and always eating.

females will never obtain a MAN look, they do not support the hormones to produce muscle like us. unless anabolic ......
    Last edited by largerthannormal; 01-22-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    The stats and training sound about the same as my wife...she is die hard but is at a sticking point. That TDEE sounds a bit high...I believe my wife is somewhere in the 1600-1800 area!
    Iam telling you man, she kills it at the gym. I dont understand womens fitness like I do mine (well, I am no expert there either), but I dont know if she over trains or what. She looks fit, and no one would ever accuse her of being fat or over weight, but she is far from where she wants to be. I have watched her do 2 classes within 3 hours of crossfit and spin, then "eat" a protein shake for dinner. Even I know that is wrong, but coming from me, it just doesnt matter. This is why I need experts. She wants to be lean, but have muscle definition. I just wish I had her drive at the gym. I'd be the next Arnold, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Did you check the measurements against the female chart? 25% on a woman isn't 'fat' as such, it's an equivalent of approx 18% on a guy. Did you look at the pics I. The sticky for bf%'s?
    Absolutely! Me and her have both decided she was close to the 25-30% mark. I am trying to talkher into letting me post a pic up, but she says no. The ones I have to post wouldnt be too family friendly. Ill still try to sneak one if I can. Overall though, she looks good, and fit for sure.

I agree with Larger...my wife is using myfitnesspal on her phone at 60/20/20 and it's going pretty well. She burns an average of 600 cals in her cardio routines. I will ask her later what her actual cal goal per day is. I think it's 1200 but don't quote me! Due to her hypoglycemia she has to eat 5-6 times a day.

Is your wife adding resistance training to her routine. Added muscle will make her a more effeciant fat burner as you know!

Quote Originally Posted by warmouth View Post
    Absolutely! Me and her have both decided she was close to the 25-30% mark. I am trying to talkher into letting me post a pic up, but she says no. The ones I have to post wouldnt be too family friendly. Ill still try to sneak one if I can. Overall though, she looks good, and fit for sure.
    You have my email already...I'll take the non-family friendly ones...you know just for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    I agree with lunk, those online calcualtors are way high, esp for females. my fiance is almost same stats. 1600 is about right.

25% is a good looking girl

is she looking to drop weight?

if so I have my finace on high protein diet 60/20/20 & clen and she is down 13lbs in 1 month. I can send you the link to my log for her.. it will have the diet.

500-700 cals below tdee for her she will drop 1.5-2 lbs per week.

I have my fiance at 1000 about. and shes is full and always eating.

females will never obtain a MAN look, they do not support the hormones to produce muscle like us. unless anabolic......
    She is very good looking too. I figured the online calculator sucked, as my TDEE is approximately 2700cals. I agree she wont have a "man" look unless she has an overload of "man" hormones(test of course). She isnt too concerned with her weight, just cellulite and fat around the butt and hips. On a side note, I like a little fat around the butt and hips But because I honestly dont know, I have told her to back off the 2 a day cardio classes and eat. She does eat though. She can eat with any man, but she refrains. I dont really make it any easier on her, sadly. I do have my ice cream and m&ms around.
    But she is looking to just tone up and lose the little excess fat, which really is minimal. I just want her to be happy and I feel the only way to let her achieve the body she wants is to get a diet and training routine that works for her. Really nothing has given her the results she wants. Ive even thought about letting her run 10mgs of anavar for a month just to see if it helps. I know it would, but she isnt the type just to do something like that because she is concerned with the long term effects.

So basically, I need to get advice from you guys and get her a workout routine and diet dialed in that will give her results because she has plateaud from whatever it is she has been doing. She wants to feel confident in a bikini, like we do.

You have my email already...I'll take the non-family friendly ones...you know just for feedback
    You got it buddy! Ill snap a flattering one of her when I get the chance

OK buddy. On that basis the comments made above aren't far off. Her tdee is, as Lunk suggests, approx 1600cals. Although if she is doing that much cardio then it may be closer to 1800.

Larger is correct in saying that protein won't make her 'manish', it's testosterone that does that. Protein is merely a tool to help build muscle but even guys would struggle to gain a lot of muscle, in a year let alone a woman. Especially on. A calorie deficit.

So, I would probably suggest a starting point for her of 1300cals at a split of 50/30/20. That can always be adjusted as results dictate.

Put something together based on those figures and we'll take a look. 3 days a week lifting would ok!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I agree with Larger...my wife is using myfitnesspal on her phone at 60/20/20 and it's going pretty well. She burns an average of 600 cals in her cardio routines. I will ask her later what her actual cal goal per day is. I think it's 1200 but don't quote me! Due to her hypoglycemia she has to eat 5-6 times a day.

Is your wife adding resistance training to her routine. Added muscle will make her a more effeciant fat burner as you know!
    Great to know! Ill get the "ok" from steM on this, but I am positive she isnt doing the 60/20/20. She is doing resistance training, but the problem I am seeing with her is that she is doing such light weights, to me, it just seems like extra cardio. I know when I started packing on new muscle, my BF dropped a ton. So I need to be able to print off some info from you guys on a good routine and diet. She just has in her mind she will get too "manish" by lifting too heavy. You know women. I couldnt do without her, but she just cant comprehend basic excercise. She has been working out extremely hard for years though. Iam talking 8 or more. As I have told her many times, "you have been doing this for years, dont you think its is time to try something new?". I guarantee you that if I dont start seeing results in a couple of months, I am going to do something different.

OK buddy. On that basis the comments made above aren't far off. Her tdee is, as Lunk suggests, approx 1600cals. Although if she is doing that much cardio then it may be closer to 1800.

Larger is correct in saying that protein won't make her 'manish', it's testosterone that does that. Protein is merely a tool to help build muscle but even guys would struggle to gain a lot of muscle, in a year let alone a woman. Especially on. A calorie deficit.

So, I would probably suggest a starting point for her of 1300cals at a split of 50/30/20. That can always be adjusted as results dictate.

Put something together based on those figures and we'll take a look. 3 days a week lifting would ok!
    Perfect! I am printing this off as we speak. Now, her lifting 3x a week, does she still need to be going hard at it with cardio? and if so, how much? Thanks alot!

Cardio yea, whatever she wants/enjoys really. Try and get her to up her weights too and be reaching failure at 10-12 reps or so.

And you're right about more muscle, it's the best fat burner you can have!!!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Great to know! Ill get the "ok" from steM on this, but I am positive she isnt doing the 60/20/20. She is doing resistance training, but the problem I am seeing with her is that she is doing such light weights, to me, it just seems like extra cardio. I know when I started packing on new muscle, my BF dropped a ton. So I need to be able to print off some info from you guys on a good routine and diet. She just has in her mind she will get too "manish" by lifting too heavy. You know women. I couldnt do without her, but she just cant comprehend basic excercise. She has been working out extremely hard for years though. Iam talking 8 or more. As I have told her many times, "you have been doing this for years, dont you think its is time to try something new?". I guarantee you that if I dont start seeing results in a couple of months, I am going to do something different.
    It honestly sounds like we are married to the same person. I was finally able to convince my wife that lifting heavy works well for women. She loves to do legs and squats about 265! An ECA stack may be worth a shot as well!

If it makes anyone feel any better, I can't get my Mrs to count macro's or lift weights at all. She wonders what she's doing wrong!!!!!!!!! I'm past it frustrating me. Mostly!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

cardio will only change the tdee...... if she does more cardio her maintenance( tdee) calories will go up...

the more she runs the more she will need to eat to maintain her current weight because she just used that energy source, this is fine but if she is not worried about weight and just toneing this just simply allows her to eat more and stay the same, cardio will help tone as well.

think of cardio as a tool to adjust what you take in.
    Last edited by largerthannormal; 01-22-2013 at 03:41 PM.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I can't get my Mrs to count macro's or lift weights at all. She wonders what she's doing wrong!!!!!!!!! I'm past it frustrating me. Mostly!
    lol, man its tough.... mines doin all right but when i try to make adjustments she thinks im callin her fat......

Attachment 132350

This thread deserves this picture

calstate23 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    Attachment 132350

This thread deserves this picture
    yes, one is just on massive test and the other is just hot ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal

lol, man its tough.... mines doin all right but when i try to make adjustments she thinks im callin her fat......
    I can't even dictate her cals. She factors in a chocolate bar every evening and thinks its all about cals. Then she bakes every weekend! No willpower really.

Funny, the only time she's ever been successful with fat loss was when she followed a diet I laid out for her. Some reason I don't think she wants to be beholding to me for anything. Women, tut!!!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

She is liking all the input so far. I think this is going to be a good one. And Lunk.........Shes at 265! Nice man. I was out of the gym for 2 months due to all the tests I was getting ran (wanted to get accurate readings) and when I got back in a few weeks ago, man I failed on the 5th rep of 185. I was so embarassed that I havent even looked at the squat rack since. I am sticking to Leg presses, extensions and curls until I get some lower body built back up. Deads were lame as well. I got alot of catching up to do.
    SteM, she seems very excited to try this out. I do think she will continue heavy cardio because honestly I think she enjoys it. So I am sure were going to have to adjust when we give this a few weeks. She loves the crap. But having this diet down to a science and broke down the way it is, it is going to be so much easier on her to follow than her just randomly trying to "watch" what she eats. I know she will follow this through.
    As for Lunks suggestion, and I would like input fro everyone too. What about the ECA stack? She isnt into taking drugs of any kind. I know I cant take clen , but should she try clen, albut, or ECA? Which would be the safest and most effective for a woman?

Still waiting for the NOT family friendly pics lol!!!!

Still waiting for the NOT family friendly pics lol!!!!
    Theyre coming buddy! I just need one that doesnt have my junk in them. I dont need to lose respect in here
    BTW, we have been working on this diet forever now and are coming up so lopsided. It would be so much easier with a 40/30/30, but I know its going to take work to get this down right. Anyways, she eats 50% of her carbs during breakfast and even with tinkering with it, we are still coming up with weird layouts that just dont make sense, or just not realistic due to her job. She is an OT and dont have much time to eat a couple of meals, but we came up with a protein shake at 10am 24/4/1.5, and a lunck of 1 can of tuna and 2 cups of baby spinach with a dab of olive oil. But we are getting too may macros at certain times, and too little at others. Basically her day is this:
    6:30am breakfast
    12:00pm lunch
    5:00pm workout
    7:00 Dinner
    10:00pm bed

She literally has 0 breaks at work. She gets 30 minutes for lunch, but even then she is buried in paperwork. But can you and anyone else tell me a sample daily diet for your wife? I am not asking for a handout freebie, just a sample so that we can adjust. I dont know the best thing or timing for these meals, especially pre or post workout. This is very fun to do, and if it were for me, it would be much easier. But with her and only eating 1300 calories a day, it is getting difficult to say the least.

Theyre coming buddy! I just need one that doesnt have my junk in them. I dont need to lose respect in here
    BTW, we have been working on this diet forever now and are coming up so lopsided. It would be so much easier with a 40/30/30, but I know its going to take work to get this down right. Anyways, she eats 50% of her carbs during breakfast and even with tinkering with it, we are still coming up with weird layouts that just dont make sense, or just not realistic due to her job. She is an OT and dont have much time to eat a couple of meals, but we came up with a protein shake at 10am 24/4/1.5, and a lunck of 1 can of tuna and 2 cups of baby spinach with a dab of olive oil. But we are getting too may macros at certain times, and too little at others. Basically her day is this:
    6:30am breakfast
    12:00pm lunch
    5:00pm workout
    7:00 Dinner
    10:00pm bed

She literally has 0 breaks at work. She gets 30 minutes for lunch, but even then she is buried in paperwork. But can you and anyone else tell me a sample daily diet for your wife? I am not asking for a handout freebie, just a sample so that we can adjust. I dont know the best thing or timing for these meals, especially pre or post workout. This is very fun to do, and if it were for me, it would be much easier. But with her and only eating 1300 calories a day, it is getting difficult to say the least.
    I will get with her tomorrow and have her do a run down of hers. I know she starts the day off with like 3 or 4 egg whites and oats (I think 1/2 cup). Mostly chik breast and veggies throughout day...

Thanks man. Anything will help. I am just wanting her to get through it. I know she will if she sticks to yalls plan, but it is going to be work, but if anyone can do it, she can. Once she starts seeing results, she'll go into beast mode! I honestly think she would do fine on anavar , and I have 30 tabs left, hmmmmm.... She says no due to the fact she doesnt knowlong term effects, but at 10mgs ED, she shouldnt even get a side while on. I am thinking about the ECA at 12.5/100/asprin 2Xdaily if she'll go for it. Heck, taking a dose at 8am and 12pm, she should be fine with that. She could get over a lower carb day when on it for sure. Clen did me so wrong that I just am not comfortable giving that to her. I am about to make a decision for me and post it in the Q&A in a few minutes about thermogenics.

ECA would be the safest option. Clen is really harsh. Really good but really harsh (think potential scarring of the heart).has she tried any stims before?

I have no diet plan for her, you guys use too many funny measurements like cup, saucepans and ladles

Just get her to hit her macro's. she'll work out best when she needs her carbs. Fats can go up to 25% max if it really helps but try and be as close as possible to the original split.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

ECA would be the safest option. Clen is really harsh. Really good but really harsh (think potential scarring of the heart).has she tried any stims before?

I have no diet plan for her, you guys use too many funny measurements like cup, saucepans and ladles

Just get her to hit her macro's. she'll work out best when she needs her carbs. Fats can go up to 25% max if it really helps but try and be as close as possible to the original split.
    We are going to stick to the original split for sure. So she should concentrate most of her carbs pre and post workout? That is what I do myself because it does give me a boost.
    And no, she has never taken stims before. She is scared of alot of stuff. I just figured to start her out with 12.5mgs E, 100mgs C, and an asprin 2x daily, split at 8am and 12pm.

I wouldn't sweat it mate tbh. She's best getting everything else right first. Besides, The aspirin isn't really required but is only baby aspirin strength anyway.

My avi pic I got with no clen or ECA. I used Yohimbine HCL and caffeine on fasted cardio days only.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I wouldn't sweat it mate tbh. She's best getting everything else right first. Besides, The aspirin isn't really required but is only baby aspirin strength anyway.

My avi pic I got with no clen or ECA. I used Yohimbine HCL and caffeine on fasted cardio days only.
    Thats nuts SteM! Judging by the looks, you look "on" for sure, and I mean that in a good way. I cant believe you did it with no clen , that is unreal, and unreal dedication no doubt.

Lunk, did you get your wifes sample diet for the day? I havent forgot about the pic

So far today, according to her My Fitness Pal phone app, her is what she has had today, and we are eating dinner in about an hour:

Breakfast : 1/4 cup steel cut oats 3.5/13/1.5
    2 boiled egg whites 12/2/10 Total calories 290

Lunch : 4 oz chicken breast(baked) 30/0/10
    1 cup Kale(sauteed) 3/6.7/0.5
    1/2 grapefruit 1/13/0.1 Total calories 386

Dinner : 3oz Sirloin steak(closer to 4oz) 23/0/7
    (cooking) 3.5oz Sweet Potato 2/27/0.2
    1 glass Blush wine 200 calories Total calories 431

Snack : 1/4 cup Almonds (roasted and salted) 7/6/16 Total calories 180

Total Macros for the day P/C/F : 81/68/29 Total calories: 1287+wine = 1487
    Target macros: 165/100/30 (if my calculations are correct) 1300 calories(something is coming up off here I THINK).

Today was her rest day. Tommorow is 45 minutes of spin class, 60 minutes of endurafit. Her macros are off or something. The calories arent matching up, so maybe I figured them wrong lastnight. It took me a bit due to staying up late, so I was a bit tired. Does 165/100/30 sound about right for a target of 1300 calories?
    Thanks guys!

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    r u still needing a sample diet plan??? i have 2 if u like them!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    r u still needing a sample diet plan??? i have 2 if u like them!
    Yes please! Thank you GGR! I am very glad you got to see this. Thank you very much.

I just talked to her...she has em logged and I will post em up at some point.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Yes please! Thank you GGR! I am very glad you got to see this. Thank you very much.
    sure thing!! and let me know if you have any questions!

My initial plan in Jan 2011 - i was at 174ish and probably 28%bf and i am only 5'4" .
    This includes the comments from a male member who was helping me, so may read alittle funny...
    Meal 1 @ 630
    ½ cup egg whites and ½ cup rolled oats OR ¼ cup Italian farro/ 2 cups coffee with tbsp fat free creamer

Meal 2 @ 930
    ½ cup greek yogart with ½ cup berries (strawberries/blueberries/raspberries) Just make sure you're getting the no-sugar added yogurt.
    Almonds

Meal 3 @ 12:30
    4 oz of lean protein (wild salmon/steel head fish/tilapia/tuna in water/shrimp/crab/chicken/turkey) Move the almonds here if you're going to move them.

2 cups spinach or spring mix salad with 4 cherry tomatoes/hearts of palm/radishes/a tiny bit of crumbled blue cheese/4 croutons. Typically no salad dressing, rarely white balsamic and only a drizzle. Or 1 cup steamed broccoli with hummus or lentil dip
    1/2 cup brown rice or ¼ cup Italian ferro or small sweet potato.

Meal 4@ 4:30
    Kashi bar - on the way to the gym or on the way home You need something more substantial pre-workout in terms of protein - I suppose a shake right before with the bar would be a sufficient pre-workout meal. Just don't work out without protein.
    Whey Protein on the way home after gym or after arriving home

Meal 5 @ 630 non workout days / 700 or 815 on workout days
    6 oz salmon (wild salmon/steel head fish/tilapia/tuna in water/chicken/turkey) Good!

Veggies (salad, broccoli, asparagus, steamed broccoli/ cauliflower/baby carrot/summer squash mix)

Bed time @ 900 pm I know it goes against conventional wisdom but as I foreshadowed above, you should have a small portion of lean protein before bed.

After losing 40 lbs moved to this plan. I was 21% BF by this time, 7 months after starting and weighing in a 138.

Calories/g P/g C/ g F

Workout days Calories/g P/g C/ g F

Meal 1 Breakfast - 300/29/34/6
    Wake up – 16 oz coffee with dry creamer
    ½ c oats with stevia and cinnamon
    ½ c 99% egg whites
    ½ c 2% cottage cheese

Meal 2 Snack – 189/16/4/4
    1/2 c cottage cheese 2%
    dash of cinnamon and stevia
    2 fish oil caps
    1 c broccoli

Meal 3 Lunch - 364/42/13/10
    6 oz grilled skinless chic breast
    Mixed Leafy Salad with balsamic dressing
    2 fish oil caps

Meal 4 Pre WO –160/11/15/4
    6 oz 0%f fage yogart with stevia and cinnamon
    ½ med sweet potato with cinnamon

Meal 5 Post WO – 260/28/30/4
    Met-Rx Protein plus shake-1 scoop
    ½ c oats

Meal 6 Dinner- 271/45/4/4
    6 0z tilapia (or other fish but not salmon)
    6/7 Asparagus spears grilled (pam and drizzle of EVOO and fresh garlic)

Total Daily: 1543 cal/171P/101C/35F

Non Workout days. Delete Pre & Post WO Carbs. Combine Pre and Post work out meals into yogurt and protein shake mix.

Now I am at 137 and 18% BF and unable to do a serious workout cuz of injuries. So I am looking at the second of these options with one minor change. I need to drop the calories to 1350 and macro split of 55/25/20 which I think is tough to do, but I can’t workout out cuz of injuries.

1500cals
    50/30/20
    187g pro
    112g carbs
    33g fat

1500cals
    60/20/20
    225g pro
    75g carbs
    33g fat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information