THE HOGG is offline Junior Member

Newbie diabetic needs diet help

Hello all, I am diabetic, fat, and trying to get in shape. I am working out 5 days a week with some guidance from a trainer. Mostly just cardio right now with a little bit of lifting. I had my diabetes/blood sugar under control with diet alone until about 7 months ago. Then all of a sudden my sugars blew up and I had to go on to insulin . I gained 60 pounds in 3 months,Shit... I was down to 205 pounds at that time and blew up to 265. I am down to 242 now but am not losing weight like I want to. Especially with working out like I have been I feel like it should be coming off at a good pace and its not. I read the diabetes diet thread on here and it seems like a good start but I wasnt real clear on it and thought that perhaps some of you could help me cater one to me a little better. I am no longer on insulin but do inject victoza to control my sugars. I also inject 1.25 cc's of testot enan( for delatestryl) per week for low testosterone as prescribed by the Dr.. I have been eating just meat and green veggies pretty much. I have been drinking a forza pro shake for breakfast, eating an egg and a piece of ham for break, a piece of meat and a salad for lunch, some fruit for break, work out, drink a forza pro shake and then some meat and green veggies for dinner. I like the shakes and would like to keep them if they arent hurting me. I do not know what my body fat is but am working on finding out. I googled body fat calculator and used 2 different ones and one said that my body fat was 19% and one 16%. I now believe those things are useless beacuse if I looked like the pictures of those body fat types I wouldnt be near so worried as I am. My TDEE is 3421.935. I am sure I left something out but feel like I have rambled on. Thank you in advance for any help.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Welcome aboard!

there is a stickie in this section that you might want to take a peak at.

also, gixxerboy1 is a diabetic (so i think) and he can prob help you out with some things. he is very knowledgeable.

oh yeah, post up your daily eating (with cals and macros -protein/fats/carbs) and what type of insulin you are taking. lay it out hour by hour and write down everything you put in your mouth!

diet is everything so i bet we can change your lifestyle and have you slimming down in no time

consistency is the key to this!
    Last edited by RaginCajun; 01-23-2013 at 06:02 PM.

I found the sticky and am reading it, thank you. I am using victoza wich I believe is not an insulin but is used to control blood sugars. I will start writing down everything I eat and post it up.

ok bud, i read up on victoza

it is for type two diatbetics, you are in luck!

with diet (most important over exercise in your case) and exercise, we can get you off of this med and have you back on track in no time!

like i stated before, give us your daily diet and we can guide you.

you may want to get read the cutting stickie and the nutritional articles to see what you should be eating

i cannot believe your doc told you that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not to eat carbs, that is BS. type one diabetics plan there insulin around carbs so he is foolish to say that

another thing that you will want to add to your daily routine is, AM fasted cardio. doesn't matter what it is at first, just do it!

we will be awating your diet

cheers!

Thanks for the help ragin.. Well, this morning I had a forza pro shake for breakfast with a large cup of coffee with a 1/4 cup of half and half and splenda in it. Just had a 5.5 fl oz spicy v8 ay 0900 for my break. I typically have an egg and a piece of ham as well at 0900 but not today. Got a pork chop with green beans for lunch and 6 strawberries for my 3:00 break. Thats it so far. Will update later at dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by THE HOGG View Post
    Thanks for the help ragin.. Well, this morning I had a forza pro shake for breakfast with a large cup of coffee with a 1/4 cup of half and half and splenda in it. Just had a 5.5 fl oz spicy v8 ay 0900 for my break. I typically have an egg and a piece of ham as well at 0900 but not today. Got a pork chop with green beans for lunch and 6 strawberries for my 3:00 break. Thats it so far. Will update later at dinner.
    you need to break everything down in calorie and macro form.

Ok. How do I go about finding that out?

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Another sticky on this section.. Cutting 101. The basics of getting started.

find out what?

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    find out what?
    Macro and nutrient breakdown I think ragin

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    Macro and nutrient breakdown I think ragin
    Correct. I will work on coming up with a diet and get it posted this weekend. Im working 80 hours a week and its hard to do anything right now..

Ok, here is my proposed diet. When I did my TDEE calculations I was alittle torn between two of the categories of how active I am. I came up with 3383.28 but was thinking I might be a little closer to 3000 depending on activity level so I based it on the 3000.

Meal 1- 50g pro,60g carb,8g fat
    Meal 2- 50g pro,8g fat
    Meal 3- 50g pro,8g fat
    Meal 4- 50g pro,8g fat
    Meal 5- 50g pro,60g carb,8g fat. This will be my pre workout meal on my current schedule
    Meal 6- 50g pro,60g carb,8g fat. This will be my post workout meal currently.

In the next month or so my work schedule will change and I will change my pre workout to meal 4 and post to meal 5. I have also started a half hour(I know its not much but its hard as hell to get up at 04:00 to exercise while also working 80 hrs a week) of fasting cardio first thing in the morning as recommended by ragin. Does this look ok or am I missing something? Do I need to provide more information? Thanks in advance for all of the help.

use this to get your maintenace cals: Lean Body Mass (weight x BF%) x 15 = maint. cals

example: 165 x .18 = 29.7, 165-30 = 135 LBM x 15 = 2025 cals for cutting, drop about 300-500 cals a day.

yes, do fasting cardio if your really want to start to see the BF come off and try to get another workout of some sort latter in the day. you will reap the benefits!

sounds like you are getting your plan in order, now you just have to implement it!

Will do and thanks for the help ragin. I am working out in the gym 5 days a week currently. Cardio and some lifting 3 days a week and cardio and abs 2 days a week. Although in my condition that should probably be cardio and flabs.. Just started the am cardio this week.

Will do and thanks for the help ragin. I am working out in the gym 5 days a week currently. Cardio and some lifting 3 days a week and cardio and abs 2 days a week. Although in my condition that should probably be cardio and flabs.. Just started the am cardio this week.
    good to hear!

i use my fitness pal to track cals/macros and workouts. trust me, it helps out!

consistency is the key to all of this so get after it!

we will have to reassess once you make some progress

get it!

Just came up with 2505 for maintenance cals. Looks like its back to the drawing board for a 2000 cal diet. If I remember right though I think that just changes my proteins to 40g's and carbs to 50g's. Have to go back and read again.

I like the my fitness pal. Just gotta figure out some more stuff on it. Yesterday my macros were 162 protein, 73 carbs, 41 fat. My goals were 250,150,45. I got almost all my fats but came up pretty short on the rest. Is this that bad? Im trying ot lose weight but want to gain muscle. My biggest problem is my beer belly. I dont have alot of fat anywhere else. My plan was to have oatmeal for breakfast this morning to help with my carbs and more protein but I forgot about it until it was almost too late and then tried to eat it but DAMN! Thats alot of oatmeal!! I feel like Im eating more dieting then I did before. Atleast Im not starving to death..

Yesterday my macros were 144p,167c,62f. Gotta get more protein in and less fat, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by THE HOGG
    Yesterday my macros were 144p,167c,62f. Gotta get more protein in and less fat, correct?
    Yes bud, more protein and a little less fat!

I struggle with the same thing!

It's a constant battle but you are getting this. Stride on!

Thanks ragin.

Ok. Sat. 2-2's numbers were; 125p,124c,31f.. Sun was 156p,84c,60f. . Saturday seemed better but yesterday I was sick and didnt eat as well. Damn Im having a hard time getting my fats down. I never realized how much fat I am eating.

Ok. Sat. 2-2's numbers were; 125p,124c,31f.. Sun was 156p,84c,60f. . Saturday seemed better but yesterday I was sick and didnt eat as well. Damn Im having a hard time getting my fats down. I never realized how much fat I am eating.
    i am still having that same problem but working on fixing it!

slow and steady wins this race!

Thanks ragin. I keep trying to remind myself that. Been kinda keeping up on your thread too, keeps me inspired. Sometimes it feels like Im tryin to gain more than lose though. I swear Im eating more now on diet. Better for sure, but damn its hard to eat soo much sometimes.

Thanks ragin. I keep trying to remind myself that. Been kinda keeping up on your thread too, keeps me inspired. Sometimes it feels like Im tryin to gain more than lose though. I swear Im eating more now on diet. Better for sure, but damn its hard to eat soo much sometimes.
    thanks for the compliment! i try but i know my weaknesses. diet and partying!

yes, it is difficult to get everything in but it gets easier once you really change up your lifestyle.

it is always a work in progress for me because i am a wild one!

logging in and reading other peoples' logs/threads is what constantly keeps me motivated as well!

Alright, Ive been trying my ass off but damn! Dieting is harder than working out.. Ive come up with a new protein shake. GBrices recipe if I remember correctly. But my question is it has 54g p,44g c, 8.5g f. A bit higher than my breakfast goals. When i did the math and put it in myfitness pal it has 469 calories. That is nearly a 1/4 of my daily allowed calories. Is this too much? Should I cut back on it? or possibly quit drinking it all together? I love it and would really hate to get rid of it but I want to do what is best for my diet. Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed.

Well, yesterday my macros were, 226p,164c,62f. oThat damn fat is still haunting me. Ragin, myfitnesspal has some kinda crazy goals in it. Like it says my target fat goal is 64 groams a day but everything Ive read on here says I should be at 36. Is there a way to change the goals in it to better reflect my diet plan that I have come up with here? Ive tried but cant figure out how.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    ok bud, i read up on victoza

it is for type two diatbetics, you are in luck!

with diet (most important over exercise in your case) and exercise, we can get you off of this med and have you back on track in no time!

like i stated before, give us your daily diet and we can guide you.

you may want to get read the cutting stickie and the nutritional articles to see what you should be eating

i cannot believe your doc told you that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not to eat carbs, that is BS. type one diabetics plan there insulin around carbs so he is foolish to say that

another thing that you will want to add to your daily routine is, AM fasted cardio. doesn't matter what it is at first, just do it!

we will be awating your diet

cheers!
    i always check my blood sugar before i do this.. if it's on the low side i'll eat something before i do the cardio (then it's not fasted i know but a little safer..)

Drahcir_snave is offline Junior Member
    I too am a insulin dependent diabetic and I have to say your a1c must be good for you to be gaining weight, I lose more than I gain but that's because I still find myself cheating from time to time...

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My son is 27 and has been type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetic since age 6. He is skinny as a rail and has a hard time keeping weight on. Probably because his blood sugars are always high and his a1c is high.
    Hogg have you been monitoring your blood sugars? Also what foods are you eating with all the fat? If you write down the macros for everything you eat, it will identify where the fat is coming from. Then post it on here and we may be able to offer some alternatives. For example if you are making a protein shake with 2 tablespoons of Peanut butter drop it back to a tsp or change the ingredients all together for a different flavor. If you are eating 10 hard boiled eggs a day drop the yoke in 5 of them etc etc..

Good luck and keep at it!

Cool

My A1C's have been great according to the doc. I will have to check my blood results to see what they have been as i do not remember. The last two weeks though my sugars have been 200 in the morning when I get up. I dont know whats up with that. I had my sugars under control for almost 3 years with just genuvia. Then all of a sudden they blew up and i had to go on insulin (I dont know if its just coincidence but this happened when I stopped smoking pot). Then I blew up and gained 50 pounds. Now the doc has me on victoza and like I said my A1C's have been great but, I go for blood work next week and with my sugars being in the 200's in the morning I suspect my A1C will not be good this time. I have all of the macros written down and will look at my log and try and see where all the fat is coming from. Thanks for all the help guys. Also, my biggest problem is my beer gut.. I dont have much body fat except there. And I got plenty there..

Ok, I believe my last A1C was 6.1 but Im in the process of moving so the chance of finding pretty much anything right now is pretty slim. Especially a single piece of paper. DAMN I hate moving..

Yesterday my macros were; 246p,146c,42f. I splurged/cheated and had popcorn wich was one reason I was over on my fats. It seems another big source is my protein shake, it has 8.5 grams of fat. I will look at the recipe tonight and see what I can do to get the fats down in it. Other than that I think I was ok. Yes? I feel like its ok to be a little short on carbs. Is this correct? My goals are 240p,150c,36f. Edit, just realized that I have had my math wrong on my carb goals. Changed to 150.
    Last edited by THE HOGG; 02-15-2013 at 07:30 AM.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You ever make your own popcorn ? Get the kernels and just pop it yourself, I wont even touch bagged popcorn anymore after reading the info on the back, puke!

I used to growing up and then I found the bag. Never thought about going back and havent really read the back of the bag. Would probably go back if I did read it though. Now you got me wanting to but not wanting to read it Kinda like something you know is gross and you dont wanna look but you have to. LOL..

Thread Information