Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wmaousley

Thread: Getting ready for boot camp

Brahman is offline New Member

Getting ready for boot camp

How's it going everyone. I am 18 and have been lurking this forum for a little over 4 months now. Here's something's about me.

I leave for boot camp in 7 months; Parris Island.

I am 5'10 200lb at around 18% BF.

I've been lifting for a little over 4 years.(and by lifting I mostly mean cardio and picking things up and putting things down without guidance) I was about 312 pounds at age 14 of fat.

I've noticed that I can't lower or increase my size (muscle-wise) so I think I need better nutrition.

Anyways, excited to meet this community finally, a lot of you guys have been my motivation.

I eat 1 coffee in the morning usually with some oatmeal.
    For lunch I usually have chicken and have snacks in between meals
    I then go to the gym and after 2 hours or so I have a 44g protein shake.
    And lastly for dinner I have a salad with fish or chicken breast.

Is there anything I should change.

I'm looking for more of a cut as I want to achieve 170 lb with 13% before I leave for boot camp.

I also do cardio EVERYDAY on the treadmill at 5-7 speed for around 30 minutes.

If you guys need anymore I'm happy to give out information.

Sorry I don't know if I can ask for this like I'm demanding I'm just looking for some tips!
    Last edited by Brahman; 02-02-2013 at 12:13 PM.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Start by taking some protein for breakfast, egg whites are my preferred choice ,
    Have a decent amount of carbs pre work out, 1.5-2 hours before hand so it can digest properly.
    Probably most of the tools you need are on this site, just gotta search around and implement them

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahman
    How's it going everyone. I am 18 and have been lurking this forum for a little over 4 months now. Here's something's about me.

I leave for boot camp in 7 months; Parris Island.

I am 5'10 200lb at around 18% BF.

I've been lifting for a little over 4 years. I was about 307 pounds at age 14 of fat.

I've noticed that I can't lower or increase my size (muscle-wise) so I think I need better nutrition.

Anyways, excited to meet this community finally, a lot of you guys have been my motivation.

I eat 1 coffee in the morning usually with some oatmeal.
    For lunch I usually have chicken and have snacks in between meals
    I then go to the gym and after 2 hours or so I have a 44g protein shake.
    And lastly for dinner I have a salad with fish or chicken breast.

Is there anything I should change.

I'm looking for more of a cut as I want to achieve 170 lb with 13% before I leave for boot camp.

I also do cardio EVERYDAY on the treadmill at 5-7 speed for around 30 minutes.

If you guys need anymore I'm happy to give out information.

Sorry I don't know if I can ask for this like I'm demanding I'm just looking for some tips!
    Do you work or anything? What's your availability to train early in the morning?

I have school at 7. I sometimes do go the gym at 5:30,

I live in Boston so it's pretty cold, but if it comes to it I would be more than willing to run if you think that's nessesary. I'm currently having car troubles but should be able to gymrat in the morning too in about a week. But I always wondered wether to cardio or lift, as I have lifted in the morning and felt extremely fatigued during classes.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Honestly...concentrate on your 3 mile run, push ups, sit up and pull ups! In the mean time, enjoy being 18 and trust me when I say you will get all the help you need getting in shape in 7 months. I thank you for choosing to serve...hopefully I will be able to call you brother in 10 months!

I hope so bro! I'll be a 7th generation Marine. Can't wait to have the pride to call you my brother.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahman View Post
    I hope so bro! I'll be a 7th generation Marine. Can't wait to have the pride to call you my brother.
    I wish I were going with you, I miss basic training very much. Its better than camp lol. As lunk said, in BCT you will lose a ton of weight, and if you are the largest one in your company, you will get extra PT for fun. Dont let this discourage you, they will only pick on you to get your ass in shape.

And remember always be faster than the slowest man and you will survive.

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahman
    I have school at 7. I sometimes do go the gym at 5:30,

I live in Boston so it's pretty cold, but if it comes to it I would be more than willing to run if you think that's nessesary. I'm currently having car troubles but should be able to gymrat in the morning too in about a week. But I always wondered wether to cardio or lift, as I have lifted in the morning and felt extremely fatigued during classes.
    Maybe running in a fasted state? Anybody agree?

thehaas10 is offline New Member
    Hey bud good to see another Marine headed to Parris Island. Its a good time, if you make it that. Boot camp is all what you make out of it. I would focus on your 3 mile run and your pull ups. If you can do 20 legit dead arm hang pull ups your prob going to be good to go. Hell the more you can do the better. If your 3 mile run finish time hits 18 minutes your going to be good to go. If you cant run 3 miles in under 28 minutes though you might need to work on it. To be honest i would suggest fattening up before you go to boot camp. If you can honestly adjust your weight that easily it is going to come right off once you hit boot camp. If your headed to boot camp in July your about to be ****ed. Thats straigh sand flea season and the height of summer for them, nothing but humidity and hot ass weather....Like i said though it is all what you make of it...

Semper Fi bro and good luck. You wanna know anything else let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by >Good Luck< View Post
    Maybe running in a fasted state? Anybody agree?

Here's my progress. Sorry i lied about my BF, I went on some forums and they had taken a look and said 18%, I actually had it measured out.

The first picture is of July 4th at my normal weight (what i weighed most of 2012. although I have reached 312lbs with extremely high BF)

Second is 2 month progress

Weight: 203.3 (now) - 232 (before)
    Height: 5'10
    BF: 22.3% (now) 34.6% (before)

Current Diet:
    200g protein
    50g carb
    35g fat

Sups:
    1 a-day-multi
    3 ECA stack (started 3 days ago)

Bench: 145
    Squat: 150
    Deadlift: 180

Hows my progress so far for 2 months? any comments and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting ready for boot camp-jul4-feb2.jpg  
    Last edited by Brahman; 02-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Hey thanks! I know for certain I will have tons of questions for you sooner or later. Have a good one chief.

My current run time is at 21min/3mile
    Pull ups:8
    Crunches:82

Papa Smurf is offline Senior Member
    OP My advice to you is this................... run, run, run, and then run somemore..................... No weight training. Focus on the ability to lift and control your on body weight with a 25lb napsack on your back.......... Pullups, Chin ups, rope climbs (rope climbs can be the roughest for some) If your gym or high school has a peg board, us that.......

Endurance is the key....................body weight control is a close second.............. who cares is you can beach press 350 lbs if you cant pull your on body weight up and over a beam.

Semper Fi

Gunney Papa Smurf
    Retired

Thank you for the advice Sir. I will do so. I am only doing weight lifting for my pull up and crunches. (my goal is 20pull up and 100 crunches by boot camp)

I am currently running my 3 mile in 21 minutes which i know is not perfect but i am increasing my speed everyday by .2 on the treadmill.

3 miles in 21 minutes is a 7 minute mile average, thats pretty damn good and will get better once in BCT.

Why crunches and not situps? Did the MC change their standards?

(Cock-Diesel) is offline Junior Member
    Listen to what everyone here has told you bro. Something that might help you with pull-ups is the Recon Ron pull-up program. It had me getting 20 in no time. Just type it into a google search engine and it'll pop up. Either way, Parris Island in the summer time is hell. I was there from May to July in '07 and I lost 55 lbs. the weight will come off trust me, but it'll be up to you to keep it off. And a 21 min run time is pretty damn good. I'd say it's much higher than the Marine Corps average. Don't use the Boston winter as an excuse to not get out there and run. You'll still have to run in the freezing cold once you're in so go ahead and start conditioning your body to handle the bad weather. If you join the infantry you'll be sleeping on the ground and training in much colder weather. Afghanistan in the winter time is like nothing I've ever felt before. Ok now I'm just rambling on about my beloved gun club, but you get the picture. Good luck man and stay motivated.
    Last edited by (Cock-Diesel); 02-03-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    What is the entry fitness level for your american marines? And your waiting 7 months???? Why does it take that long? Jesus christ in my country i did my medical and fitness entry test and like 5 weeks later i was at recruit training. 80 days of fun I had haha your going to love it. We had to run 2.4km in under 10 minutes i think from memory and like 30 push ups that was minuium entry. So if i converted right 2.4km in under 10min is about the same as your 3 mile in 21 minutes.
    Last edited by Euroholic; 02-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Hate to be rude but it's who I am. If you look like the pics you posted then you will end up in the diet platoon till they shed that fat layer. You need to do as was suggested once above! Run like forest gump dude! Dont stop running till you shed all that belly fat! Don't go to boot camp being easily noticed! Oooh Rahhh!

AaronJM1984 is offline Member
    ^LOL there's no diet platoon in the Marine Corps, there is something called BCP, but that isn't until you are in the fleet Marine Corps. If the OP is too fat, then they will not send him until he makes weight, they could grant him a weight waiver but I doubt it since the USMC is trying to lower its ranks 20,000 over the next few years. Also to the OP, if you have a brain in your head, then I would delete those pictures. It never crossed your mind that posting pictures with your face on an anabolic steroid website may not be the best idea? Now for some advice, run a few times a day, distance doesn't matter, your Drill Instructors will get you up to par. The better shape your in now, the better off you will be. Work on pull ups and do your crunches. As far as a specific diet, don't get wrapped around the details, just don't eat processed crap or sweets. Once you get to PI you're going to eat nothing but carbs anyway, thats all they serve it those nasty chow halls.

When I went to boot camp they had PCP aka pork chop platoon. It was for guys that checked in too fat. Do they not have this anymore?

You can get a waiver for being a few pounds overweight, then when you get there you get put on half rats. Guys that are more than 3-5lbs overweight just won't ship.

Downsizing is making it so easy for recruiters to be extremely picky, basically "Hey fatass, go talk to the army recruiter"

Yeah man I got lucky. I came in back in '07 when they were taking any retard off the street. I was overweight, on probation, and owed over $1,000 dollars in fines from getting in trouble. And I had zero issues getting down to Paris island.

Quote Originally Posted by (Cock-Diesel) View Post
    When I went to boot camp they had PCP aka pork chop platoon. It was for guys that checked in too fat. Do they not have this anymore?
    LOL..thats what I was refering to. The red stripes on all of their shirts lol!

Shsm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    LOL..thats what I was refering to. The red stripes on all of their shirts lol!
    What do you think about this workout program for his preparation for the Marines?

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Shsm View Post
    What do you think about this workout program for his preparation for the Marines?

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm
    That is a great preperation workout...I would add rope climb as (like said above) it tends to be a difficult obstacle for some to pass!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	416.1 KB 
ID:	133446

well here's my progress. I've dropped down a couple pounds and gained muscle mass.

i've been doing the programs shown here. Thanks!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	416.1 KB 
ID:	133446

well here's my progress. I've dropped down a couple pounds and gained muscle mass.

i've been doing the programs shown here. Thanks!!!
    Again, if you are trying to join the USMC, remove your face from pictures. The Marine Corps has people that cruise the internet looking for stuff like this. No way the USMC will let you in knowing you're posting on a steroid website bro.

Shsm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJM1984
    Again, if you are trying to join the USMC, remove your face from pictures. The Marine Corps has people that cruise the internet looking for stuff like this. No way the USMC will let you in knowing you're posting on a steroid website bro.
    Agreed.

Keep it up man, you're doing great

Definitely making some good progress though, keep it up and you'll go far, the most physically fit Marines usually get promoted the fastest.

great point. how do you delete a thread? I'll make another one just for my progression without face pics

You dont have to worry about your face being on here...you are not saying you use steroids and you are posting in a diet sub forum...big friggin deal! Keep up the hard work...going in fit and prepared will save you ALOT of headaches!

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Can someone explain to me why this guy has to wait 7 months before recruit training and why does the us marines recruit people out of shape? In aus you have to pass fitness test before you get sent for recruit training. Do they do it oposite and recruit out of shape people then get them in shape? Is this not dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    You dont have to worry about your face being on here...you are not saying you use steroids and you are posting in a diet sub forum...big friggin deal! Keep up the hard work...going in fit and prepared will save you ALOT of headaches!
    Are you a US Marine, or a recruiter? Lets just say I know what I am talking about.

The Marine Corps typically won't send guys/gals until they can meet a certain standard. Recruiters will work out with the poolees if they are out of shape, a lot of the time they will send people away if they are too out of shape, tell em to "go talk to the army recruiter?

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Can someone explain to me why this guy has to wait 7 months before recruit training and why does the us marines recruit people out of shape? In aus you have to pass fitness test before you get sent for recruit training. Do they do it oposite and recruit out of shape people then get them in shape? Is this not dangerous?
    You usually have to wait because of what jobs are available. Once the new fiscal year starts, new jobs open up, they can't fill the slots until they know what is available. If a person will only do a certain job in the Corps, then they have to wait until it opens up, also the USMC has been downsizing, about 25 k over the last year or so.

great point. how do you delete a thread? I'll make another one just for my progression without face pics
    You don't have to delete the thread, just delete the photo. You can black out your face and repost the photo if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJM1984 View Post
    Are you a US Marine, or a recruiter? Lets just say I know what I am talking about.

The Marine Corps typically won't send guys/gals until they can meet a certain standard. Recruiters will work out with the poolees if they are out of shape, a lot of the time they will send people away if they are too out of shape, tell em to "go talk to the army recruiter?
    Semper Fi...I wasnt arguing his conditioning, only the comment about his pic being on here! Whats the difference between putting his pic here vs. FB? He isnt saying he is using steroids ...he is working on a diet and excercise routine! Unless things have changed from my time in the Corps...I doubt his pic is a big issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    It's 13 week traing and only so many recruit classes are run through in a year and there are only 2 boot camp locations!

Joeydunk is offline New Member
    bootcamp isn't anything to worry about, just do your pull ups and 3 mile...as long as you have friends there you'll be good on crunches .....Goodluck though! have uhhhh fun?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeydunk View Post
    bootcamp isn't anything to worry about, just do your pull ups and 3 mile...as long as you have friends there you'll be good on crunches .....Goodluck though! have uhhhh fun?
    you do know it's been almost 2 years since OP was getting ready for bootcamp?

........I imagine he's already out by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    you do know it's been almost 2 years since OP was getting ready for bootcamp?

........I imagine he's already out by now?
    Im curious to know how he liked it and whether or not he graduated.
    Khazima likes this.

Thread Information