chefjmo is offline Junior Member

mass/gain diet question

ok guys ive cut done to an 8/9% bf. stats are 30 yrs old 5'8'' 170 lbs. my tdee is around 3500 cals a day. ive also found another cal. calculator on another thread that put me at over 4000 cal. a day. goal is 185 lbs (lean). not quite ready of gear yet. question is while on mass diet (and eating the proper foods) how much will my body fat % raise? I average 1.5 hours 5 days a week in the gym.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    depends, everyone is different

but as long as you eat mostly 'clean' foods and still do a bit of cardio here and there, you can keep the body fat gain down to a minimum..

it just seems like alot of cals. to intake in a day. im not used to eating that much. but then again thats why i work my @ss off in the gym and have little gains. thanks man!

btw i think you TDEE would be closer to 2300 kcals...

if i were you id probably start at 3000 kcals and increase/decrease from there..

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I don't think ur tdee is 3500 unless ur a pro athlete or train for a triathlon or something. Best way to figure ur maintenance cals is lbm x 15. That is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2300, making ur bulk at about 2800. That's where I'd start, and adjust up accordingly. If u start at 4000+ cals a day, you'll b at 15-16% bf in no time.

-TroN-

Looks like kronik beat me to it lol

-TroN-

my tdee was around 3000 for maintenance so i added 500 for bulking. my biggest problem is counting all the calories. alot of the time i'm too busy at work and i have to make time to eat. and i don't have time to count cals. all the time. i do have a base menu i try and follow that help;s but isn't always an option to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by chefjmo
    my tdee was around 3000 for maintenance so i added 500 for bulking. my biggest problem is counting all the calories. alot of the time i'm too busy at work and i have to make time to eat. and i don't have time to count cals. all the time. i do have a base menu i try and follow that help;s but isn't always an option to follow.
    How did u come up with a 3k maintenance?

-TroN-

followed the calculations from the sticky. hell there was another sticky that took me to bb.com and calculated me at 4000+.

Quote Originally Posted by chefjmo View Post
    followed the calculations from the sticky. hell there was another sticky that took me to bb.com and calculated me at 4000+.
    i would start at around the 3k (2800 like tron suggested would be fine too) mark.. if you don't gain any weight after eating 3000 kcals consistently then keep upping your calories until you do..

Yeah, those all overestimate, don't follow the stickies, u can ask the mods and vets too, ur tdee is somewhere around 2300. Start ur bulk around 2700-2800 work up from there.

-TroN-

Quote Originally Posted by kronik420

i would start at around the 3k (2800 like tron suggested would be fine too) mark.. if you don't gain any weight after eating 3000 kcals consistently then keep upping your calories until you do..
    If u want to start at 3k, like kronik said, that's fine too. I like to start lower, the progress is slower, but you keep fat to a minimum on a conventional bulk. Read the sticky on lean bulk by gbrice. It'll explain in detail how to keep the fat to a minimum while gaining lbm.

-TroN-

a good goal is 1 lb per week increase in weight.. any more than that and you risk gaining alot more fat..

You guys are great. Thanks for the help. And is it that big of a deal that I cant count all my calories? I have a good idea but not an exact number. Plus the numbers you guys came up with seem achievable. Didn't think I could do 3500 a day.

You guys are great. Thanks for the help. And is it that big of a deal that I cant count all my calories? I have a good idea but not an exact number. Plus the numbers you guys came up with seem achievable. Didn't think I could do 3500 a day.
    Depends on how serious u are I guess? Best bet to figure out a meal plan and eat it daily till u get used to it, then you can gradually start subbing different foods in

-TroN-

Thread Information