Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg whites

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries

Egg whites

I absolutely hate eating cooked eggs but I do it every day. One of my friends mixes liquid egg whites with grits and blends it for his pre workout meal... I'm thinkif about doing the same thing but I know I've herd you get better absorbsion from cooked eggs; "is this still the same case with liquid egg whites bc they are still pasteurized"

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    I am with you man. Watching me eat eggs is comedy. I just start gagging and I will eventually puke if I dont get the out of my mouth. They absollutely repluse me

I can get away with hiding one egg in my lean beef any more then that and I get grossed out

Soar is offline Productive Member
    Eggs are a pain in the butt sometimes.. This is why I started eating hard boiled

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Yes HP, still the same. Cooked eggs yield almost double the proteins bioavailability. Uncooked eggs are only approx 50% bioavailable, pasteurised or not.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I friggin love eggs, but always hard boil a dozen or so for snacks in my lunchbox(bucket)..weird how everywhere in the country they have different names for the same shit?

Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck
    I friggin love eggs, but always hard boil a dozen or so for snacks in my lunchbox(bucket)..weird how everywhere in the country they have different names for the same shit?
    You mean your bait box?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    You mean your bait box?
    yea, I usually do have some sardines in there as well lol

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM
    Yes HP, still the same. Cooked eggs yield almost double the proteins bioavailability. Uncooked eggs are only approx 50% bioavailable, pasteurised or not.
    I rely on liquid/cartoned egg whites daily, so I researched this pretty extensively. From what I've gathered, the pasteurization process heats the whites up enough to kill the enzyme that is binding up some of the protein, thereby providing full bioavailability. I'll try and dig up the article that went into great detail to explain this. Stem, if you have any info to the contrary with specific regard to pasteurized cartoned whites, I'd love to have a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

I rely on liquid/cartoned egg whites daily, so I researched this pretty extensively. From what I've gathered, the pasteurization process heats the whites up enough to kill the enzyme that is binding up some of the protein, thereby providing full bioavailability. I'll try and dig up the article that went into great detail to explain this. Stem, if you have any info to the contrary with specific regard to pasteurized cartoned whites, I'd love to have a look at it.
    I'll try and find it. It said the heat wasn't high enough. But then, it never said what heat it needed to be either. Homework for later!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

http://m.jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

It's nearly 15 years old but confirms 51% raw but homogenised and 90% for cooked.

I'm looking for a more up to date one see if it differs.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Further to the above, and indeed to the contrary, a large egg white producer over here claims that the pasteurisation process kills the avidin which enables 94% bio availability.

In all honesty, how many g's of protein are we talking here? Even if it is 50%, how many of you are putting in 50g's worth of whites. Even if you are, you are only missing out on 25g protein.

FYI, I never put whites in my meal replacement shakes, it's either whey or casein and cottage cheese!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I eat 99% egg whites, scrambled most every day. Try adding some hot sauce!

I luv hard boiled eggs but the 5 g of fat, I eat sparingly.

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by human project View Post
    I absolutely hate eating cooked eggs but I do it every day. One of my friends mixes liquid egg whites with grits and blends it for his pre workout meal... I'm thinkif about doing the same thing but I know I've herd you get better absorbsion from cooked eggs; "is this still the same case with liquid egg whites bc they are still pasteurized"
    Why do you keep eating eggs, while you can`t stand them?

http://m.jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

It's nearly 15 years old but confirms 51% raw but homogenised and 90% for cooked.

I'm looking for a more up to date one see if it differs.
    Thanks Stem. The below excerpt is from circa 2005:

Pasteurization is when they heat the egg/egg product enough to kill all the bacteria (including salmonella) and the protein digestion inhibitors (usually126-140 degrees). If you eat non-pasteurized eggs/egg products your body cannot utilize the protein in them due to the presence of a protein inhibitor. And while you may get salmonella from raw eggs/egg product the chances are 1 in 10,000 for regular eggs and 1 in 30,000 for free range eggs.

Avidin is a glycoprotein, which is found in raw egg whites, and blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 and Vitamin H (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency (it binds to Biotin and iron making them unavailable). You must cook/pasteurize the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its amino acids. Cooking egg whites at high temperatures denatures some of the amino acids which makes the proteins slightly less effective (slower digesting). A soft boiled or poached egg (at 70% albumin coagulation) is digested much easier as opposed to a fried or hard boiled egg. 2 soft boiled/poached eggs spend less than 2 hours in the stomach being digested, where 2 fried/hard boiled eggs spend over 3 hours in the stomach. Although fried/hard cooked eggs are digested just as completely as soft cooked eggs, it just takes longer for them to be completely digested and assimilated.

An egg white is about 10% protein and 90% water. It’s the proteins that cause the egg white to solidify when you cook it. Egg white proteins are long chains of amino acids. In a raw egg, these proteins are curled and folded to form a compact ball. Weak bonds between amino acids hold the proteins in this shape—until you turn up the heat. When heated, the weak bonds break and the protein unfolds. Then its amino acids form weak bonds with the amino acids of other proteins, a process called coagulation. The resulting network of proteins captures water, making a soft, digestible gel.

If you keep the heat turned up too high or too long when you cook an egg, the proteins in the egg white form more and more bonds, squeezing some of the water out of the protein network and making the egg white rubbery and increasing their digestion time.

So, basically the most bioavailable and readily assimilated egg proteins are either pasteurized raw eggs/egg products or soft cooked/poached eggs that have not reached 160 degrees at which point the proteins become coagulated/denatured and take longer to be completely digested and assimilated. I hope this helps clear up some questions .

If you want to save some money you can do this at home.It is possible to pasteurize eggs at home - and easily, too! Pasteurization is simply a process of heating a food to a specific temperature for a specific amount of time - designed to kill specific bacteria. It is known that salmonella bacteria are killed at temperatures of 140 degrees in about 3 1/2 minutes (or a higher temperature in less time). If a room temperature egg is held in a bowl of warm water - say, 142 degrees to be safe - for 3 1/2 minutes, the bacteria will be killed and the protein inhibitor neutralized. It takes 5 minutes for extra large or jumbo eggs.

Place the room temperature eggs in a colander, and lower them into a pan or bowl of 142-degree water. Use an instant-read thermometer to be sure of the water temperature, and leave the thermometer in the water, to be sure that the temoerature is maintained. For medium or large eggs, leave them in the water for 3 1/2 minutes; for extra large or jumbo eggs, allow 5 minutes. Then remove the eggs, dry them, and refrigerate them, in a tightly-covered container.

Eggs begin to cook at about 160 degrees, and will be "scrambled eggs" at 180 - but if the 142 degree temperature is maintained, the result is a safe egg that will act like a raw egg in recipes and will provide a fully usable protein source.

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries

Thanks Stem. The below excerpt is from circa 2005:

Pasteurization is when they heat the egg/egg product enough to kill all the bacteria (including salmonella) and the protein digestion inhibitors (usually126-140 degrees). If you eat non-pasteurized eggs/egg products your body cannot utilize the protein in them due to the presence of a protein inhibitor. And while you may get salmonella from raw eggs/egg product the chances are 1 in 10,000 for regular eggs and 1 in 30,000 for free range eggs.

Avidin is a glycoprotein, which is found in raw egg whites, and blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 and Vitamin H (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency (it binds to Biotin and iron making them unavailable). You must cook/pasteurize the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its amino acids. Cooking egg whites at high temperatures denatures some of the amino acids which makes the proteins slightly less effective (slower digesting). A soft boiled or poached egg (at 70% albumin coagulation) is digested much easier as opposed to a fried or hard boiled egg. 2 soft boiled/poached eggs spend less than 2 hours in the stomach being digested, where 2 fried/hard boiled eggs spend over 3 hours in the stomach. Although fried/hard cooked eggs are digested just as completely as soft cooked eggs, it just takes longer for them to be completely digested and assimilated.

An egg white is about 10% protein and 90% water. It's the proteins that cause the egg white to solidify when you cook it. Egg white proteins are long chains of amino acids. In a raw egg, these proteins are curled and folded to form a compact ball. Weak bonds between amino acids hold the proteins in this shape--until you turn up the heat. When heated, the weak bonds break and the protein unfolds. Then its amino acids form weak bonds with the amino acids of other proteins, a process called coagulation. The resulting network of proteins captures water, making a soft, digestible gel.

If you keep the heat turned up too high or too long when you cook an egg, the proteins in the egg white form more and more bonds, squeezing some of the water out of the protein network and making the egg white rubbery and increasing their digestion time.

So, basically the most bioavailable and readily assimilated egg proteins are either pasteurized raw eggs/egg products or soft cooked/poached eggs that have not reached 160 degrees at which point the proteins become coagulated/denatured and take longer to be completely digested and assimilated. I hope this helps clear up some questions .

If you want to save some money you can do this at home.It is possible to pasteurize eggs at home - and easily, too! Pasteurization is simply a process of heating a food to a specific temperature for a specific amount of time - designed to kill specific bacteria. It is known that salmonella bacteria are killed at temperatures of 140 degrees in about 3 1/2 minutes (or a higher temperature in less time). If a room temperature egg is held in a bowl of warm water - say, 142 degrees to be safe - for 3 1/2 minutes, the bacteria will be killed and the protein inhibitor neutralized. It takes 5 minutes for extra large or jumbo eggs.

Place the room temperature eggs in a colander, and lower them into a pan or bowl of 142-degree water. Use an instant-read thermometer to be sure of the water temperature, and leave the thermometer in the water, to be sure that the temoerature is maintained. For medium or large eggs, leave them in the water for 3 1/2 minutes; for extra large or jumbo eggs, allow 5 minutes. Then remove the eggs, dry them, and refrigerate them, in a tightly-covered container.

Eggs begin to cook at about 160 degrees, and will be "scrambled eggs" at 180 - but if the 142 degree temperature is maintained, the result is a safe egg that will act like a raw egg in recipes and will provide a fully usable protein source.
    Thanks for the info... Now my egg whites are already pasteurized so can I just add them to my grit and coffee shake out if the carton?? Or do they still need to be cooked???

Just pour them in and mix em up!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by human project View Post
    Thanks for the info... Now my egg whites are already pasteurized so can I just add them to my grit and coffee shake out if the carton?? Or do they still need to be cooked???
    They don't 'need' to be cooked for any reason. So long as they're already pasteurized, it boils down to a matter of preference at that point.

Stem - I forgot to mention earlier - when I start my cut, I plan to go through about a carton (100g protein) per day. I've been relying on dairy way too much and I'm trying to correct that, so liquid egg whites will be a major staple in my diet this time around. At $4.50 a carton, it's not gonna be cheap... but at least I won't have to buy 8 tubs of cottage cheese at a clip!

supernatural28 is offline Junior Member
    Anyone tried "soft boiled eggs" ? It might sound gross to some people.. But it actually tastes great with some salt. Hard boiled eggs give me heartburn..3 soft boiled eggs and some fish oil is a good last meal of the day...Protein and Fat..

For breakfast, egg whites are good.. but not the cartoned/liquid ones,,I just don't like the taste..Why not use the natural egg..not a big difference prize range. I put some garlic and herb goat cheese in it..

Quote Originally Posted by supernatural28 View Post
    Anyone tried "soft boiled eggs" ? It might sound gross to some people.. But it actually tastes great with some salt. Hard boiled eggs give me heartburn..3 soft boiled eggs and some fish oil is a good last meal of the day...Protein and Fat..
    Love soft boiled eggs!

For breakfast eggs white are good.. but not the cartoned/liquid ones,,I just don't like the taste
    What taste?!

Why not use the natural egg..not a big difference prize range. I put some garlic and herb goat cheese in it..
    Price range, no - but a huge difference macro-wise. When I'm looking for a lean protein source, whole eggs aren't on my list... and to take the time to separate white from yolk (not to mention the waste) would drive me insane.

Stem - I forgot to mention earlier - when I start my cut, I plan to go through about a carton (100g protein) per day. I've been relying on dairy way too much and I'm trying to correct that, so liquid egg whites will be a major staple in my diet this time around. At $4.50 a carton, it's not gonna be cheap... but at least I won't have to buy 8 tubs of cottage cheese at a clip!
    Cost is really why I don't do them. My cottage cheese intake is 200g daily (<10g carbs) That's just under half a lb. bulking or cutting it doesn't bother me. 5 cups of tea with a little milk in and that's the extent of my dairy when cutting. I don't think that's a lot but obviously carb content becomes a factor if you have a lot when cutting.

As it is I'm bulking and eating bran flakes every day with milk

When i finally have my business set up I'll be back in the market for egg whites, they make a shake a much nicer texture than cc no matter how much you blend!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Cost is really why I don't do them. My cottage cheese intake is 200g daily (<10g carbs) That's just under half a lb. bulking or cutting it doesn't bother me. 5 cups of tea with a little milk in and that's the extent of my dairy when cutting. I don't think that's a lot but obviously carb content becomes a factor if you have a lot when cutting.
    200g is fine IMO too... that's nothing. My dairy intake is much more extensive... upwards of a tub of cottage cheese per day, Greek yogurt, not to mention whey and casein shakes... just too much for me. I want to cut it out as much as possible and see if a) I feel better with regard to bloating, etc. and b) my body composition responds favorably

As it is I'm bulking and eating bran flakes every day with milk
    Nice! I'm doing the same... except with sugar cereals.

When i finally have my business set up I'll be back in the market for egg whites, they make a shake a much nicer texture than cc no matter how much you blend!
    Agreed. Tis' the reason I originally started using them, to thicken up my shakes, plus the added quality protein never hurts. I'm currently working on recipes for protein powder-less shakes using liquid egg whites.

Papa Smurf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Great thread guys !! I have heard this debate for YEARS ! Great info..

Im a liquid egg white man myself (Wal Mart Great Value Brand 3.88 quart Its the Egg Beater Brand in WalMarts private label)

I drink quart a day Half first thing in morning and the other half before bedtime. Lays alot easier on the gut at bedtime (remember, Im old)

One problem....................... The GAS!!!! Im mean DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! I stink! Really bad !!! Its like I have a paper mill in my ass!

Tried Beano............ doesnt help, and of course, adding the the peanut butter doesnt help either

THOUGHTS???

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    Great thread guys !! I have heard this debate for YEARS ! Great info..

Im a liquid egg white man myself (Wal Mart Great Value Brand 3.88 quart Its the Egg Beater Brand in WalMarts private label)

I drink quart a day Half first thing in morning and the other half before bedtime. Lays alot easier on the gut at bedtime (remember, Im old)

One problem....................... The GAS!!!! Im mean DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! I stink! Really bad !!! Its like I have a paper mill in my ass!

Tried Beano............ doesnt help, and of course, adding the the peanut butter doesnt help either

THOUGHTS???
    Lmao, I don't think there's anything you can really do man... horrendous gas is pretty common with egg whites unfortunately. I'm already HORRIBLE, and only drinking about 1/4 carton/day. I can't imagine when I start on a quart a day. My wife is gonna divorce me!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Lmao, I don't think there's anything you can really do man... horrendous gas is pretty common with egg whites unfortunately. I'm already HORRIBLE, and only drinking about 1/4 carton/day. I can't imagine when I start on a quart a day. My wife is gonna divorce me!
    My wife will not let me use the bathroom in our master bedroom. Its the guest bath for me only.

And she prefers that I wait until I leave the house, for my morning right of passage. Needless to say, the local Subway ladies have gotten use to it.............. They provide me with my on can of lysol.... Its good to be loved!!!

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    For some reason my gf asked me this morning if I woke up last night and cooked egg whites..I was like uh no. Then it dawned on me I went to the fridge round 2am and drank a 500ml container of whites and went back to sleep...it almost felt like a dream, stupid zma

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    the gas I get from eggs is nowhere near as bad as the gas I get from dairy.

I make my whole eggs over easy then just eat them whole. I just can't think of a better way of downing over a half dozen eggs in under a couple of minutes.

My wife will not let me use the bathroom in our master bedroom. Its the guest bath for me only.

And she prefers that I wait until I leave the house, for my morning right of passage. Needless to say, the local Subway ladies have gotten use to it.............. They provide me with my on can of lysol.... Its good to be loved!!!
    lol... I've been banished to my own bathroom downstairs as well. lol @ the Lysol!

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    the gas I get from eggs is nowhere near as bad as the gas I get from dairy.
    This is what i'm hoping to find out for myself once I cut my dairy intake considerably. Something's gotta be causing my terrible gas, and I am relatively heavily dairy-reliant.

Agreed. Tis' the reason I originally started using them, to thicken up my shakes, plus the added quality protein never hurts. I'm currently working on recipes for protein powder-less shakes using liquid egg whites.
    You feel whey is an issue for you specifically? I only ever use isolate nowadays. If not you need a sugarless, aspartame free flavouring or put up with fruit on your cut.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Blitz777 is offline Associate Member
    Do you egg sluggers sleep in the same bed/room as someone with regularity? The gas I emit after drinking egg whites/products is... obscene. Can't do it, I'd blow my girl right out of the room.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    this thread got pretty funny

You feel whey is an issue for you specifically? I only ever use isolate nowadays. If not you need a sugarless, aspartame free flavouring or put up with fruit on your cut.
    Honestly, I'm not sure. That's the experiment - cutting down on my diary intake considerably. Currently, i'm using whey isolates, casein, and ON's pro complex which has a few different varieties of protein (whey peptides, isolates, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz777 View Post
    Do you egg sluggers sleep in the same bed/room as someone with regularity? The gas I emit after drinking egg whites/products is... obscene. Can't do it, I'd blow my girl right out of the room.
    lol... yep... with my wife... and she surely gets dutch ovened at times. She's gotten up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and then comes back in huffing and puffing about how bad it is in the room... I'm apparently blasting off in my sleep!

Soar is offline Productive Member
    I Dutch oven the girlfriend all the time. She's learning to deal with it.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I used to be a fan of doing those... until she started doing them back to me. That game ended abruptly

ElDude is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soar View Post
    I Dutch oven the girlfriend all the time. She's learning to deal with it.
    hahaha, nice

just switched to using egg whites outta the carton, I hate the amount of yolk I waste on a daily basis!

I am lucky to have my own office, but from 8:30-10 that places smells! Maybe thats why no one comes in my office in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    I used to be a fan of doing those... until she started doing them back to me. That game ended abruptly
    Wow... fck that. Game OVER!

Quote Originally Posted by ElDude View Post
    hahaha, nice

just switched to using egg whites outta the carton, I hate the amount of yolk I waste on a daily basis!

I am lucky to have my own office, but from 8:30-10 that places smells! Maybe thats why no one comes in my office in the morning.
    Bahaha!! Yep, probably a good assumption, lol

I even have to watch when Im driving........ leather seats bounced one back in my face, and I damned neared passout!!

Would lke to ask a quick one, without hijacking this great thread..................

I see alot of your guys drinking milk......................... Back in 2009, I can remember someone in nutriation section basicly saying that milk was the devil...... with its 12 grams of lactos sugar per cup, and that anyone over the age of 14 shouldnt go near it. Will have to go back and get that guys name........... has opinions changed about me beloved cow juice

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    Yea thats rough, I sleep with my hands between my wifes legs..... she's poped a wet one out on me more than once.......not to bad, unless you wake up and rub your face afterwards, that kinda sucks............. was that too much information?

I even have to watch when Im driving........ leather seats bounced one back in my face, and I damned neared passout!!

Would lke to ask a quick one, without hijacking this great thread..................

I see alot of your guys drinking milk......................... Back in 2009, I can remember someone in nutriation section basicly saying that milk was the devil...... with its 12 grams of lactos sugar per cup, and that anyone over the age of 14 shouldnt go near it. Will have to go back and get that guys name........... has opinions changed about me beloved cow juice
    To be honest, this topic/debate has been beaten to death on this board. My take on dairy is as follows:

1 - milk has a relatively high sugar content. I try to keep sugar as low as possible when cutting. As such, milk is off my menu

2 - digestion issues. Some people can handle dairy, others cannot. If you find yourself gaseous (perfect for this thread, right?), bloated, etc. then dairy probably isn't sitting well with you.

3 - There is concern with milk being completely hormonal (estrogen). However, evidence as to how this would affect humans, if at all, is inconclusive at best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information