Thread: Fact or myth?

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~

Fact or myth?

Carbs after 6 how bad is it really?

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Myth...its more about the whole days intake than about a small window!

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Good beacuse it takes be a while thru the day to start eating

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've been eating dinner 7-8 at night for past few weeks and I'm still dropping weight..carbs in every meal
    Bro science extreme, well not even, my gf believes in the whole 6pm thing also, sigh

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Carbs after 6 how bad is it really?
    All depends on when you go to bed. I dont eat carbs with my dinner. Just protein, Greens and fats

Quote Originally Posted by jim230027;63***70
    All depends on when you go to bed. I dont eat carbs with my dinner. Just protein, Greens and fats
    Sorry buddy...god knows I'm not a diet guru but I don't buy that either. Why would one think carbs before bed is bad...If you hit your macro's...who cares??

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1;63***75
    Sorry buddy...god knows I'm not a diet guru but I don't buy that either. Why would one think carbs before bed is bad...If you hit your macro's...who cares??
    Why do you need carbs to go to sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by jim230027;63***79
    Why do you need carbs to go to sleep?
    LOL...not saying you NEED them...saying there is no harm in having carbs before bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1;63***81
    LOL...not saying you NEED them...saying there is no harm in having carbs before bed!
    here is my logic. Carbs are your energy source.... So why not have more energy during the day when you are active and less for when you are sleeping? This is why i add fats at night to slow down my digestive system since i will be going 8 hrs with no food.

Quote Originally Posted by jim230027;63***90
    here is my logic. Carbs are your energy source.... So why not have more energy during the day when you are active and less for when you are sleeping? This is why i add fats at night to slow down my digestive system since i will be going 8 hrs with no food.
    NO NO...I undertand the no need for them premice...but the idea some ppl have is that it's BAD to have carbs before bed...that like magic carbs turn to fat if you are sleeping!

Personal preference, keeps me full so I go to bed with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    NO NO...I undertand the no need for them premice...but the idea some ppl have is that it's BAD to have carbs before bed...that like magic carbs turn to fat if you are sleeping!
    Gotcha.... I think if a person is dieting it would be a better practice to take them away before sleeping but if a person is bulking then it really doesnt matter

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    Personal preference, keeps me full so I go to bed with a smile on my face
    I prefer other means of putting a smile on my face before bed...and it is quality hiit cardio lol

I prefer other means of putting a smile on my face before bed...and it is quality hiit cardio lol
    Well.... I guess realistically if you are dieting you are not often going to bed with a smile on your face cause you are almost always hungry!!

I'm dieting.. And I'm never hungry. So explain that one

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    This is a never ending topic I feel. Depends on window of sleep, bloat, ect, ect.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    I'm dieting.. And I'm never hungry. So explain that one
    everyone is different is ur explanation. consider urself lucky. depending on the extent of ur deficit as well as size of ur appetite. im cutting and im always hungry even on my high cal/high carb day where i have eaten in excess of 4000cals and 500g carbs..

ive also not been hungry on 2000cals and 100g carbs.. sometimes it just is what it is..

bdos is offline Anabolic Member
    so carbs before bed + sex before sleep = carbs burnt and smile on your face, ahhh makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---

everyone is different is ur explanation. consider urself lucky. depending on the extent of ur deficit as well as size of ur appetite. im cutting and im always hungry even on my high cal/high carb day where i have eaten in excess of 4000cals and 500g carbs..

ive also not been hungry on 2000cals and 100g carbs.. sometimes it just is what it is..
    I agree with this but if you are dieting to cut weight I am almost always hungry to the point that I am uncomfortable. Everyone is different though

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Here's a little one for you, too many carbs too close to sleep can inhibit GH release.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM
    Here's a little one for you, too many carbs too close to sleep can inhibit GH release.
    How badly is the release of GH actually inhibited? Is it actually enough that it becomes a serious concern? Or just that its not optimal?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by lestat85

How badly is the release of GH actually inhibited? Is it actually enough that it becomes a serious concern? Or just that its not optimal?
    If I'm bulking, I'd rather have the carbs. If I'm cutting, I don't really eat carbs in my final meal. Either way, it's of no real concern to me.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Are we REALLY doing this again!??

Short answer - depends on your goals IMO. I wouldn't have carbs close to bedtime when cutting. While the big picture is about hitting daily macros, I believe macro timing still plays a role in overall body composition. Honestly, I think it matters much more with those who are already relatively lean ( <11%). I look at it like this:

If we look at caloric/macro needs in a 24 hour period, and we're eating in a caloric deficit, then we should be losing weight. That's a no brainer. However... based on the notion that it doesn't matter when I eat my macros, carbs in this example, then I should be able to eat my entire day's worth of carbs right before I hit the pillow and it shouldn't make a bit of difference. After all, we're still in a caloric deficit, and we're still hitting our macros, right? Wrong...

While it might 'all come out in the wash', that doesn't take body composition into account. Our bodies store fat in existing fat cells until they are full, then will create new fat cells if further storage is required. Why would I want to potentially store bodyfat only to eventually (within 24 hours) shed it again (because it 'all comes out in the wash')? Why would I want to create new fat cells? Remember that your body can create new fat cells, but CANNOT destroy them (without surgery). Do you think a body that's carrying a bunch of additional fat cells (albeit depleted) is going to look the same as a body that never created these fat cells to begin with? I don't believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM

If I'm bulking, I'd rather have the carbs. If I'm cutting, I don't really eat carbs in my final meal. Either way, it's of no real concern to me.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Just as FYI I eat carbs with my first 4 meals. I eat protein greens and fats with meals 6 and 7

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    Are we REALLY doing this again!??

Short answer - depends on your goals IMO. I wouldn't have carbs close to bedtime when cutting. While the big picture is about hitting daily macros, I believe macro timing still plays a role in overall body composition. Honestly, I think it matters much more with those who are already relatively lean ( <11%). I look at it like this:

If we look at caloric/macro needs in a 24 hour period, and we're eating in a caloric deficit, then we should be losing weight. That's a no brainer. However... based on the notion that it doesn't matter when I eat my macros, carbs in this example, then I should be able to eat my entire day's worth of carbs right before I hit the pillow and it shouldn't make a bit of difference. After all, we're still in a caloric deficit, and we're still hitting our macros, right? Wrong...

While it might 'all come out in the wash', that doesn't take body composition into account. Our bodies store fat in existing fat cells until they are full, then will create new fat cells if further storage is required. Why would I want to potentially store bodyfat only to eventually (within 24 hours) shed it again (because it 'all comes out in the wash')? Why would I want to create new fat cells? Remember that your body can create new fat cells, but CANNOT destroy them (without surgery). Do you think a body that's carrying a bunch of additional fat cells (albeit depleted) is going to look the same as a body that never created these fat cells to begin with? I don't believe so.
    Great post bro!!

CookiesNCream is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1

HAHA!! HIIT Cardio.... Where exactly are you doing this HIIT cardio cause it ain't on the bike lol! I kid I kid...

Carbs before bed isn't bad depending on what your goals are in my opinion.... If I'm training at night, you bet I'm having carbs right after... If I'm not training, then no, I don't need the energy at 9pm!

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    If you let me guys share my input on the topic. Similar to Gbrice i have been experimenting with diets for the past 2 years and more specifically how the macros are spaced out throughout the day. IMO whether or not you should have carbs before bed is totaly dependent on your workout schedule.

When I`m cutting my allotment is 150 gr of carbs on training day and 50 less on non-training day. Well i generally train after work at around 7pm thus my post-workout meal is right before going to bed. Itake 50 gr 3 hours preworkout, 50 gr dextrose post workout and 50 gr 1h afterwards. If the following days is an off day I`d have the carbs in meal 1 and 2. The reasoning behind is that while low insulin is fine for fat burning it might be needed at the right times to prevent muscle breakdown especially while being on caloric deficit. Having insulin elevated post-workouts will have anti-catabolic effect, will prevent testosterone from binding to SHBG leading to more free test which will help you burn more fat later on and retain more muscle tissue (the best fat burning machine). Apart from insulin raise, depleted glycogen means no protein syntesis unless you`re on drugs. Myofibrillar muscle growth is energy intense process which is not effective without energy (glycogen) and that`s why I`d have the carbs post workout regardless of before bed or no. Far and beyong, weight training induced protein syntesis would be close to its peak on the next day which accounts for the carb intake in meal 1 and 2 on my non-training days.

Thread Information