951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Most fruit has a low glycogenic index, does this make it ok to eat as much fruit as you like while cutting?
    Last edited by 951thompson; 02-10-2013 at 06:49 PM.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson
    Most fruit has a low glycogenic index, does this make it ok to eat as much fruit as you like while cutting?
    I never heard of ppl eating a lot of fruit when cutting. Too many carbs. If I eat any fruit while cutting it is berries and only 1/2 cup.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    too many "simple carbs"

if lifting weight, need some carbs. why not make them complex? focus on veggies and you should be g2g

AnabolicDoc is offline Knowledgeable Member
    http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/nut...micindex_3.htm

This article does a good job of explaining that even though most fruit has a low glycemic index, consumption of fruit is generally not advised for aggressive weight loss. I cut and pasted a portion of the article below in case you don't feel like reading the link.

"Now that you understand how glucose is used and how fat can be stored in situations where all glycogen levels are full, lets go back to the fruits. What happens with fructose is that the muscles do not have the enzyme required to turn fructose into glycogen. The liver does so fructose replenishes the liver. It does not take much to replenish a liver of glycogen as it can hold around 100 grams only. Therefore, if you overdo the fruits, you will fill up your liver glycogen and this causes the body to release an enzyme called phosphofructokinase signaling the body that glycogen stores are full. Since the liver has to supply energy for the whole body, the body uses its glycogen stores as the fuel gauge. When the tank is full, so to speak, that is when any extra fuel gets stored away. Because of this, we suggest that fruits are limited and even eliminated if on an aggressive fat loss diet. By the way, if you are wondering why most fruits can be so low GI and still cause so much damage is because fructose leaves the liver as fat and fat does not raise insulin levels."

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends how serious you are about dieting and your goals. Most BB won't include fruit in there cutting diet. But in saying that I did a long cut with a couple of pieces of fruit included early on in the day and was fine

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I disagree with the above posters. You can eat fruit whilst cutting. Pineapple is super when cutting or at any time for that matter, the enzymes in pineapple help with digestion. Lee haney was big fan of pinapple and pears in his diet, even when cutting.

Read please, I'll be asking questions later-
    http://www.naturalnews.com/035804_br...lammation.html
    Note the sentence " Bromelain is particularly known for being very efficient at breaking down proteins which accounts for its common use as a digestive aid"

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj
    I disagree with the above posters. You can eat fruit whilst cutting. Pineapple is super when cutting or at any time for that matter, the enzymes in pineapple help with digestion. Lee haney was big fan of pinapple and pears in his diet, even when cutting.

Note the sentence " Bromelain is particularly known for being very efficient at breaking down proteins which accounts for its common use as a digestive aid"
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj

That would be a whole boatload of sugar for very little gain in terms of amount of bromelain gained. The majority of bromelain made into a supplement is from the woody stem and it is this version that has had the lab tests, not the bromelain from the fleshy fruit. I've never seen a study on the digestive aid of bromelain from the flesh. As your article says, the majority of bromelain is actually found in this inedible woody stem.

Instead of eating half your daily dose of carbs (assuming a low carb diet when cutting) from pineapple why not just supplement with tested extract if you feel a need for digestive enzymes?

If you must eat fruit when cutting I would stick to berries personally.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks for all your posts, I was looking at a low GI list of food, I saw fruit was very low. Ive always been of the impression that fruit is bad when cutting. So was wondering why if its low GI why it isnt ok to consume? but your posts clear a few things up. So what I've learned, even if a food is low GI, does'nt make it 100% healthy to eat while cutting.

Thanks yall

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    That would be a whole boatload of sugar for very little gain in terms of amount of bromelain gained. The majority of bromelain made into a supplement is from the woody stem and it is this version that has had the lab tests, not the bromelain from the fleshy fruit. I've never seen a study on the digestive aid of bromelain from the flesh. As your article says, the majority of bromelain is actually found in this inedible woody stem.

Instead of eating half your daily dose of carbs (assuming a low carb diet when cutting) from pineapple why not just supplement with tested extract if you feel a need for digestive enzymes?

Not that much really. "1 cup, which contains 14 g of sugar. "Fresh pineapple contain the lowest concentration of sugar when it is served in its purest form" -Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/354772-nutrition-information-for-sugar-in-a-pineapple/#ixzz2Kb0Fsbnh".

You are correct, most bromelain is from the core of the fruit, I eat the whole fruit, never found it to be inedible...
    I'm saying a little pineapple with a couple of meals each day, not to make your primary carb source, however a little with your protein goes a long way. Have you tried it? Pre/post workout = awesome
    Super low carbs is not necessary, a little in the way of fruits aids more than not. BTW, I was just putting pineapple out there as an example, many other fruits I would vote for as well.

But it's still sugar and I have no desire to ingest it where possible. That's still 14g carbs each cup taken from my daily allowance. I don't do super low carb but I feel no need for sugar at any time let alone pre or post workout. What serving of bromelain comes in that cup of pineapple? And how on earth do you 'eat' the central bit of the pineapple?

I have nothing against fruit per se when cutting. I like to get a full spectrum of micronutrients in my diet at all times but it really is in small amounts when cutting.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post

^^ this.

p1: When I cut, I always try to keep sugar intake to an absolute minimum. This will have a profound effect on increasing insulin sensitivity, among other benefits. So for me, fruit is out, save a small serving of berries around my workout window.

Personally, I supplement bromelaine. If I can get it without all the added sugar, why wouldn't I?

p2: Terraj, where the hell have you been!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^ this.

p1: When I cut, I always try to keep sugar intake to an absolute minimum. This will have a profound effect on increasing insulin sensitivity, among other benefits. So for me, fruit is out, save a small serving of berries around my workout window.

Personally, I supplement bromelaine. If I can get it without all the added sugar, why wouldn't I?

p2: Terraj, where the hell have you been!?!?
    Sup Gbrice, I needed a little break from the forum, I was stressing at members and becoming a dick at times, also work and country of abode have changed...so a tad busy I have been.

Your looking nasty mate! Well done.

BTW- pineapple forever MoFos!

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Only fruit I ever eat is blue berries and bannana's. I stay away from fruit in general though.

Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    Sup Gbrice, I needed a little break from the forum, I was stressing at members and becoming a dick at times, also work and country of abode have changed...so a tad busy I have been.
    Understandable. Glad to see you around...always good to see 'old school' members around!

Your looking nasty mate! Well done.
    Thanks brother. Not sure if you're basing that on my avy... but that's from last summer/fall. I'm a lot bigger (i.e. fatter, lol) now. Check the members pics section for recent pics - I started a thread there not too long ago.

BTW- pineapple forever MoFos!
    Bahaha... whatever works for ya man... to each his own!

Quote Originally Posted by t-dogg View Post
    Only fruit I ever eat is blue berries and bannana's. I stay away from fruit in general though.
    I've only just cracked on to the low sugar high anti-oxidant qualities of berries. Im high on strawberries, raspberries and blue berries. I still have the odd orange (I read yesterday they help with fat loss)

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson

I've only just cracked on to the low sugar high anti-oxidant qualities of berries. Im high on strawberries, raspberries and blue berries. I still have the odd orange (I read yesterday they help with fat loss)
    Strictly speaking mate, a strawberry isn't a berry. If you're that bothered.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post

Strictly speaking mate, a strawberry isn't a berry. If you're that bothered.
    Oh right, I presumed it was as strawBERRY has berry in its name lol all the same, I like them, because they're low in sugar

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson View Post
    Oh right, I presumed it was as strawBERRY has berry in its name lol all the same, I like them, because they're low in sugar
    For our purpose (health), there are far better choices available - blackberries, goji berries, blueberries (my fav), acai, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

For our purpose (health), there are far better choices available - blackberries, goji berries, blueberries (my fav), acai, etc.
    Yeah I love blueberries, they're expensive tho, £2 per pot where I live, where as I can get 2 pots of strawberries for £1. I do buy blueberries though, tho I can only afford to eat them a couple of times per week.
    If I have fruit I eat it together with a small handful of nuts, to slow down digestion.

Thread Information