Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    LMAO!! sorry u had a rough go today buddy! just know ur not the only one who has these days and thanx for sharing! im sure the next workout u have will go aLOT better.. (sounds like it would have to )
    gbrice75 likes this.

i have been thru the shoulder thing too. mine was when i did flat bench. ended up needing surgery and it took about 5 months to get back into the gym and 12 months to be 100 but now it is like i never hurt it!

the bright side is u can still cut ur bf% with a messed up shoulder (thats the most important - i know)
    gbrice75 likes this.

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cancer82

whoa where have u been

-Release the Kracken!!!-
    Needed to take a step back

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    i have been thru the shoulder thing too. mine was when i did flat bench. ended up needing surgery and it took about 5 months to get back into the gym and 12 months to be 100 but now it is like i never hurt it!

the bright side is u can still cut ur bf% with a messed up shoulder (thats the most important - i know)
    Yep, no doubt shoulder injuries are what's most common in our sport. Thing is, this pain has always come and gone (in both shoulders), but right now, I can't remember the last time it's 'gone' in the left shoulder. Right side feels 100% healthy.

Here's the kicker - i'm getting burned out on cutting too. Have been having a hard time getting back into the groove ever since coming back from FL. As you can see, I'm changing up my training and entire diet approach. Basically starting over, and will have to seriously monitor and make adjustments. Just tired of losing a tiny bit of fat at the expense of losing muscle which this physique can't spare losing.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Pretty much what I was thinking as well. I still feel it right now, but not as severely as when it first happened. I'll monitor and see how things go...

I usually do some light cardio (5-10 mins) preworkout just to get the blood flowing, but I was so damn unmotivated and sluggish this morning, I didn't bother. Probably made things worse, lol. Yea man, gonna have to hit at least laterals first next time to get some loosening and blood flow in the shoulders. I'm afraid I have no choice though but to schedule an MRI. Time to address this shit. I just don't wanna be told I have to stop training for X weeks/months. I won't listen, lol.
    Yeah I hurt my shoulder about a year ago trying to bench 385 (damn ego). And it bothered me up to about 2 or 3 months ago. I just babied the shit out of it. I'm sure it was a rotator cuff, maybe even partially tore. But I never went to the dr either. I didn't wanna hear, u can't lift lol. I just did lighter weight on bench pressing motions. That's the only time it hurt. Now Im good to go on bench, even did 405lbs a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, when I'm feeling sluggish in the morning i fire myself to get on the treadmill and even if its just walking at 2.5mph I do it for at least 15minutes. Really helps me.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    Yeah I hurt my shoulder about a year ago trying to bench 385 (damn ego). And it bothered me up to about 2 or 3 months ago. I just babied the shit out of it. I'm sure it was a rotator cuff, maybe even partially tore. But I never went to the dr either. I didn't wanna hear, u can't lift lol. I just did lighter weight on bench pressing motions. That's the only time it hurt. Now Im good to go on bench, even did 405lbs a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, when I'm feeling sluggish in the morning i fire myself to get on the treadmill and even if its just walking at 2.5mph I do it for at least 15minutes. Really helps me.
    If I had decent shoulders, I wouldn't mind taking it easy for a while, but as you well know, my shoulders are probably my absolute worst lagging bodypart... so the last thing I want to do is go easy on em' - but I may not have a choice. I'm fcked either way methinks.

It's not like they can get worse! Bahaha jk bud. Just go easy on the weight. Try a different approach like super setting or circuit

oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    as you well know, my shoulders are probably my absolute worst lagging bodypart... (
    I hear you... I like my shoulders, they're naturally prominent on me. Mine is my CHEST! I work that sonofabitch brutally and for years. My belly STILL sticks out more than my chest, and I even have some abs showing now. Stupid genetics.

It's not like they can get worse! Bahaha jk bud. Just go easy on the weight. Try a different approach like super setting or circuit
    lol, fcker!!!

Sad part is - that's exactly what I *have* been doing (high volume, circuits, etc.). I am literally, just now (as in this week) implementing an HIT approach. The one potential benefit is the fact my shoulder will get more rest between workouts now, and also less work/volume which may help. Will have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    I hear you... I like my shoulders, they're naturally prominent on me. Mine is my CHEST! I work that sonofabitch brutally and for years. My belly STILL sticks out more than my chest, and I even have some abs showing now. Stupid genetics.
    Yep, genetics are a bitch for some people. How's this for a kicker - my chest is probably my BEST feature... sadly, considering how it ties in with delts, makes them look that much smaller. Kinda goes along the lines with me having a decent back, but a thick waist and wide hips... which takes away from the V-taper. I can't win!

Haha just keep fighting the good fight my man!

My weak point is my legs, they are coming in tho. I've been KILLING them! Slowly getting to the point to where I'm not disgusted at something when looking in the mirror. Just need to get to single digit bf by July 18th lol
    gbrice75 likes this.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Haha just keep fighting the good fight my man!

My weak point is my legs, they are coming in tho. I've been KILLING them! Slowly getting to the point to where I'm not disgusted at something when looking in the mirror. Just need to get to single digit bf by July 18th lol
    Why july 18th.
    And I thought you left with swifto? No prob bouncing back and forth

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Gb your tired of cutting! I thought you were on a cut for life!
    I struggle with cutting cause I go extreme on diet (super clean) and it doesn't seem to yield the results I think it should.

I'm buying more and more into the idea of not "cutting" at all. Eat to support growth. Burn extra with cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    Why july 18th.
    And I thought you left with swifto? No prob bouncing back and forth
    People can be members on both boards. The people who were using this board as a means to recruit new members (i.e. poaching our members via the PM system) to that site are the ones who are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    Gb your tired of cutting! I thought you were on a cut for life!
    Sure seems like it. The problem is, most of the time I don't cut hardcore/long enough to get really lean (as in this time), start to get depressed about muscle loss, and switch gears (again, as in now, lol)... but have problems building muscle (insulin resistance, etc.), wind up putting on mostly fat, and the vicious cycle continues!

I'm buying more and more into the idea of not "cutting" at all. Eat to support growth. Burn extra with cardio.
    Same here. I'm just SICK of cutting. Mainly for the reasons stated above, I've been on a perpetual cut for the better part of 4 years. I'm looking to recomp at this point, as I know now (after experimentation) that 'bulking', even lean, will never work for me. I'm working on the changes though, see my new workout routine below.

Next week, I'll be starting my new workout routine. As mentioned, I've decided to give DC training a run. I've read about it for years, considered it a few times, but never really thought I was ready. Now, mentally, I'm beyond ready. Physically however, remains to be seen (injuries). Regardless, I can't wait around forever, so I'm going to give it a run and see how things go.

If you're not familiar with the DC routine, google it. It's an HIT type program with a twist, and many people have seen excellent results using it over the years. Once you understand the routine, my workout plan below will make sense to you:

Workouts are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, follow an A,B,A .... B,A,B... pattern. 30 mins cardio PWO, 60 mins fasted on off days.

A1:
    Incline Smith Bench Press
    Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
    Weighted Dips
    Lat Pulldown (medium grip)
    Seated Row (wide grip)

A2:
    Decline Hammer Strength Press
    Smith Shoulder Press
    Lying Tricep Extension (skull crusher-ish movement)
    Pull Ups (weighted when necessary)
    T-Bar Row (barbell in the corner, using V-handle attachment, hence, narrow grip)

A3:
    Incline Hammer Strength Press OR Incline DB Press (undecided)
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Close Grip Smith Press
    Hammer Strength Lat Pulldown
    Rack Pulls (mid-shin)

B1:
    Alternating DB Curl
    Leg Press
    Calf Raise (on leg press machine)
    Stiff Leg Deads

B2:
    Barbell Preacher Curl
    Hack Squat
    Seated Leg Curl
    Standing Calf Raise

B3:
    DB Preacher Curl (using incline bench)
    Barbell Squat
    Lying Leg Curl
    Seated Calf Raise

Calories will be roughly 2500 on workout days, 1800 on non-workout days (via carb decrease), and a single day on the weekend at 3000-3500 (via carb increase). Protein @ 250g, fat at 70g throughout.

i still think u ought to try what ive been doing at some point GB.. me being an ex fat boy like u and having a tendency to gain body fat i can attest to this method being awesome! using fasting to also help with insulin sensitivity aS WELL as allow me to eat larger meals when the fast is over makes this diet really great man! i also like the upper/lower split and doing cardio eod or 4.5 x per week on average

it has also helped me to gain LBM and strength while staying lean. it really opens up doors to a new way of thinking about diet which IMO is its biggest benefit!

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---
    i still think u ought to try what ive been doing at some point GB.. me being an ex fat boy like u and having a tendency to gain body fat i can attest to this method being awesome! using fasting to also help with insulin sensitivity aS WELL as allow me to eat larger meals when the fast is over makes this diet really great man! i also like the upper/lower split and doing cardio eod or 4.5 x per week on average

it has also helped me to gain LBM and strength while staying lean. it really opens up doors to a new way of thinking about diet which IMO is its biggest benefit!
    I probably will, but don't want to change up too many things at once. Then I'll never know what works, and what doesn't, for me. Also, it's time I focus on training moreso than diet. I won't let diet fall by the wayside, mind you. I'm just saying that I think I've been going through the motions with regard to training for the past year or more.

probuild42 is offline Member
    GB, this thread is awesome!! I will probably read several times to try and absorb as much as I can. The dedication and knowledge posted from you and guys is inspiring to guys like me. Also I think would be a great read for guys signing up. I see a lot of posts like my first few and thought my diet/training was in check (more like a reality check, LOL). This is honestly fuel for the body and mind!!
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by probuild42 View Post
    GB, this thread is awesome!! I will probably read several times to try and absorb as much as I can. The dedication and knowledge posted from you and guys is inspiring to guys like me. Also I think would be a great read for guys signing up. I see a lot of posts like my first few and thought my diet/training was in check (more like a reality check, LOL). This is honestly fuel for the body and mind!!
    Awesome, thanks man! Glad you're able to find some inspiration and/or knowledge here. Welcome aboard, and stick around!

Same here. I'm just SICK of cutting. Mainly for the reasons stated above, I've been on a perpetual cut for the better part of 4 years. I'm looking to recomp at this point, as I know now (after experimentation) that 'bulking', even lean, will never work for me. I'm working on the changes though, see my new workout routine below.
    Maybe I'll post a thread about this. I just hate running on the hamster wheel of working so hard to gain a pound or two of muscle, then losing it with a cut.
    Have you ever tried that? Just staying really close to your TDEE, maybe even a bit over, and just keeping up with daily cardio?
    I'm thinking a lot about it, because this cycle I'm about to conclude has been a success as far as adding muscle, AND leaning. I just wonder if I can keep up the leaning part in PCT and hold onto the muscle.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    how ya doing over there buddy?

Yeah, what are you doing now?

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    lol I guess everyone's wondering....whats goin on

-Release the Kracken!!!-

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    how ya doing over there buddy?
    Yeah, what are you doing now?
    Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    lol I guess everyone's wondering....whats goin on

-Release the Kracken!!!-
    Hey guys, thanks for checking in on me!

Just been laying low this week... for one, I've been very busy at work and haven't had much time to get on the forum. I started DC training this week, but so far it's been a bust. Simply, I can no longer ignore this chronic shoulder pain as it's completely destroying my workouts... I literally can't do any pressing movements now. So, not much to log this week anyway. Diet has still be on point, but I'd be lucky just to maintain right now since I can't work out with any level of intensity.

I'm letting it rest up this week for the most part. It does feel better than it has in weeks, but still not good. I have an upper body workout scheduled tomorrow morning; i'll have to just wing it and see how it goes. Good news is after that, my next upper body workout isn't until Wednesday, so the shoulder will get a good 4-5 days complete rest.

Hey guys, figured I'd drop in and log my workout today since it's the first semi-decent one I've had in 2 weeks. My shoulder is still bothering me but it wasn't terrible today, and I got through my workout feeling ok.

Incline Hammer Strength Press
    2 warmup sets
    Working Set: 250lbs x 10 (12 second rest/pause)
    250lbs x 4 (12 second rest/pause)
    250lbs x 1

Smith Overhead Press
    2 warmup sets
    Working Set: 175lbs x 10 (12 second rest/pause)
    175lbs x 10 (12 second rest/pause)
    175lbs x 10

Note: I went with a fairly moderate weight considering my injury, and was surprised I was able to get a total of 30 reps (twice my intended goal). I'd be lying if I said it was pain-free, but it wasn't as terrible as it has been recently.

Close Grip Smith Press (tri's)
    2 warmup sets
    Working Set: 165lbs x 10 (12 second rest/pause)
    165lbs x 10 (12 second rest/pause)
    165lbs x 6

Hammer Strength High Row
    2 Warmup sets
    Working Set: 270lbs x 10 (12 second rest pause)
    270lbs x 4 (12 second rest pause)
    270lbs x 2

Note: Finally a pull lift!! Something I can work with much greater intensity as there's no pain!!!

Rack Pulls(starting just below the knee)
    2 Warmup sets
    Working Set: 385lbs x 10 (12 second rest/pause)
    385lbs x 5

/done

Figured I'd log another decent workout. Still taking it relatively light, working through the pain, feeling a bit better each day and healing:

Incline Smith Bench Press:
    2 warmup sets
    Working set: 180lbs (plus weight of bar) x 10. Reduced weight to 160lbs, did 2 more sets (only 10 secs rest between) of 10 more reps

Note: Was only able to go down about halfway before pain got to be too much. Arms were JUST parallel, if that. Obviously, I'm going to have to work with lighter weight for now, and concentrate of ROM.

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
    2 warmup sets
    Working Set: setting on 15 (not sure of exact weight - but it was pretty heavy) x 10reps. Rest 10 secs, 4 more reps.

Straight Bar Pressdown:
    Warmup set
    Working set: 150lbs x 10. Rest 10 secs, 3 more reps. rest 10 secs, 2 more reps

Lat Pulldown (medium-wide grip):
    2 warmup sets
    Working Set: 190lbs x 10. 10 secs rest, 4 more reps. 10 secs rest, 1 more set

Wide Grip Seated High Row:
    1 warmup set
    Working set: 160lbs x 9. 10 secs rest, 4 more reps. 10 secs rest, 1 more rep

30 mins cardio
    twitz likes this.

G, have you thought about TB-500?

Old TR swears by the stuff.

G, have you thought about TB-500?

Old TR swears by the stuff.
    I haven't. Presently staying away from anything AAS/prohormone/peptide related.

I haven't. Presently staying away from anything AAS/prohormone/peptide related.
    Gotcha, it's a peptide

Gotcha, it's a peptide
    I'm just gonna 'cruise' (not that type of cruise) through the summer and continue to heal, hoping i'll be healthy enough to tackle Marcus' routine hard in the fall.

I'm just gonna 'cruise' (not that type of cruise) through the summer and continue to heal, hoping i'll be healthy enough to tackle Marcus' routine hard in the fall.
    Your going to try and tackle Marcus? Want my mouthpiece? Hahaha!

I understand bud as I am having some issues flare up as well.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Your going to try and tackle Marcus? Want my mouthpiece? Hahaha!

I understand bud as I am having some issues flare up as well.
    lol! Marcus will probably be bound and gagged, so I should be ok!

So I did my first mud run Saturday, it was AWESOME!!! I'm hooked, can't wait to do more! It was the 5k Foamfest, which I think was great for a first, not too hardcore or anything, but now I'm ready for something more challenging. I handled most of those obstacles like a boss. Next up:

Spartan Race
    Warrior Dash
    Rugged Maniac
    Savage Race

And eventually, Tough Mudder. Still feeling a bit sore, but tackled legs today nonetheless. Too lazy to log today's workout, but I'll throw it up tomorrow for anybody who cares/is still following along.

So I did my first mud run Saturday, it was AWESOME!!! I'm hooked, can't wait to do more! It was the 5k Foamfest, which I think was great for a first, not too hardcore or anything, but now I'm ready for something more challenging. I handled most of those obstacles like a boss. Next up:

Spartan Race
    Warrior Dash
    Rugged Maniac
    Savage Race

And eventually, Tough Mudder. Still feeling a bit sore, but tackled legs today nonetheless. Too lazy to log today's workout, but I'll throw it up tomorrow for anybody who cares/is still following along.
    great to here this!

nothing gets me motivated more than a little competition!

it gets addicting!
    gbrice75 likes this.

twitz is offline Female Member

Spartan Race
    Warrior Dash
    Rugged Maniac
    Savage Race

Awesome! Sounds tough but super fun!

Yes, log that workout
    gbrice75 likes this.

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover

Spartan Race
    Warrior Dash
    Rugged Maniac
    Savage Race

sounds fun....brings out the inner kid while gettin exercise

-Release the Kracken!!!-
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitz View Post
    Awesome! Sounds tough but super fun!

Yes, log that workout
    Ok, here it is:

Friday's Workout: Upper Body

Decline Bench Press
    3 warmup sets
    Working set: 275lbs x 10 (rest 12 secs) 275lbs x 4

Lying Tricep Extension
    1 warmup set
    working set: 70lbs x 10 (rest 12 secs) 70lbs x 5 (rest 12 secs) 70lbs x 4

Pull Ups
    Bodyweight x 10 (rest 10 secs) bodyweight x 7 (rest 10 secs) bodyweight x 5)

Yates Row
    1 warmup set
    Working set: 185lbs x 9 (drop set) 135lbs x 10

Did some light shoulder isolation work (since I can't press) to end my workout - front raises, lateral raises, rear laterals, etc.

30 mins cardio
    Last edited by gbrice75; 06-25-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    twitz likes this.

Monday's Workout: Lower Body (and bi's)

Barbell Preacher Curl
    2 warmup sets
    Working set: 80lbs (plus bar weight) x 10 (rest 12 secs) 7 more reps (rest 12 secs) 5 more reps

Low Pulley Rope Curls
    1 warmup set
    working set: 100lbs x 10 (rest 12 secs) 100lbs x 7 (rest 12 secs) 100lbs x 5

Hack Squat
    2 warmup sets
    Working set: 270lbs x 10 (rest 15 secs) 270lbs x 7 (rest 15 secs) 270lbs x 6

Seated Leg Curl (working set on 12... not sure of weight - probably 120lbs)
    2 warmup sets
    Working set: 12 x 10 (rest 10 secs) 12 x 3 (rest 10 secs) 12 x 2

Standing Calf Raise (machine set at 8, not sure of weight)
    2 warmup sets
    working set: 10 slow reps - 5 sec pause at top of each rep, and 5 sec pause at full stretch of each rep

30 mins cardio

Wednesday: Upper Body

Came in sweating today's workout, as on the 'menu' was incline bench press. Decided to give it a go as my shoulder was feeling 'ok'. I was fairly happy with the outcome.

Incline Barbell Press
    3 warmup sets (95lbs x 10, 135lbs x 10, 185lbs x 5)
    Working set: 225lbs x 10 (rest 15 secs) 225lbs x 4

I did this VERY slow and controlled (which actually helped make it more intense), but was only about to go down about 2/3rds before the pain became noticeable. I was still pretty happy I was able to put up 225lbs considering my current condition.

Seated DB Shoulder Press
    Tried warming up with 25lb dumbbells... even that was painful. Had to skip and opt for front raises and laterals (both with 25lb dumbbells).

Close Grip Bench Press
    1 warmup set (135lbs x 10)
    Working set: 185lbs x 10 (rest 15 secs) 185lbs x 3

Hammerstrengh High Row
    1 warmup set (90lbs)
    Working set: 280lbs x 10 (rest 15 secs) 280lbs x 3 (rest 15 secs) 280lbs x 2

Rack Pulls (from just below knees)
    Warmup 1: 225lbs x 10
    Warmup 2: 315lbs x 5
    Working set: 405lbs x 10 (rest 15 secs) 405lbs x 5

/done!

twitz is offline Female Member
    Nice work GB! I hope your shoulder feels better soon
    gbrice75 likes this.

Thread Information