Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Just checking in guys. I'll update with today's workout (which was one of my better) on Monday as I'm on my phone atm and hate typing. Just came home from putting our second dog to sleep in as many months and really need to take the weekend off from the forum and recover mentally.

Despite this, diet has been (and will continue to be) on point all the way. Success will be mine by the summer.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Just checking in guys. I'll update with today's workout (which was one of my better) on Monday as I'm on my phone atm and hate typing. Just came home from putting our second dog to sleep in as many months and really need to take the weekend off from the forum and recover mentally.

Despite this, diet has been (and will continue to be) on point all the way. Success will be mine by the summer.
    Sorry to hear this GB...

Yes you will be successful! Have a good weekend bro

sawyer86 is offline Member

i feel for you man, my dog is on his last legs at the minute and im am dredding when that day comes comes for ms!

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover

sorry to hear that....take care GB

twitz is offline Female Member
    Take care of you and your family Gbrice. Stay strong and hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    Sorry to hear this GB...

Yes you will be successful! Have a good weekend bro
    Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by sawyer86 View Post
    i feel for you man, my dog is on his last legs at the minute and im am dredding when that day comes comes for ms!
    Sucks bro... all I can tell you is to love that dog as if every day were his last, don't ever take him or his love and loyalty for granted, and you'll at least have that in your heart when that time comes...

Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    sorry to hear that....take care GB
    Appreciate it cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by twitz View Post
    Take care of you and your family Gbrice. Stay strong and hang in there.
    Thank you for always being around to support me with my ups and down's Twitz, I'm grateful!

Took a couple pics yesterday morning. 3 weeks into my cut, so far I don't appear to be losing any size (or strength). As you can see, I can't afford to lose any size, lol!

Figured I'd also take the time to log yesterday's workout... so here we go:

DAY 19 - Delt's, Traps, Tri's

Shoulder Warmup -

Seated Lateral Raise - 2x15
    Sets 1-2: 20lbs x 15

Bent Seated Lateral raise - 2x15
    Set 1: 20lbs x 15
    Set 2: 15lbs x 15

Close Grip Bench Press - 4 x6-10
    Set 1: 225lbs x 9
    Set 2: 225lbs x 6
    Set 3: 205lbs x 7
    Set 4: 185lbs x 7

Seated Dumbbell Press - 4x12
    Set 1: 70lbs x 11
    Set 2: 60lbs x 12
    Set 3: 60lbs x 10
    Set 4: 55lbs x 13

Cable Upright Row - 4x15
    Set 1: 100lbs x 15
    Set 2: 100lbs x 15
    Set 3: 90lbs x 15
    Set 4: 85lbs x 15

Dumbbell Shrugs - 4x12
    Sets 1-2: 95lbs x 12
    Sets 3-4: 90lbs x 12

Parallel Bar Dips - 4x12
    Sets 1-4: 25lbs x 12 (belt with chain and 25lb plate)

Note - need to go heavier on this next time, but haven't done them in a while and wanted to be prudent to avoid injury as my shoulder has been bugging me again

Diet has been very good - not PERFECT, but very very good. Tomorrow is carb up day!!!! I have lots of cereal waiting for me, as well as sushi, oats, my favorite bread (w/ PB&J), and the most awesome thing ever - coconut almond ice cream w/ chocolate swirls!! Aww hell yea. I'll make it fit my macros, no worries. Protein consumption tomorrow will likely be all liquid egg whites, 300g protein worth - in an effort to keep 'collateral' fat to a bare minimum, so as to allow for more fun stuff.

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    Took a couple pics yesterday morning. 3 weeks into my cut, so far I don't appear to be losing any size (or strength). As you can see, I can't afford to lose any size, lol!

Hey GB, I happened to follow this thread from the very begining and logically read your thoughts about your results, how you haven`t improved your physics, do you even ligt thing - well i can tell you look like you seriously work out!

But be careful how far you cut , you say you tend to lose muscle tissue easily and marcus brought the same point up. DOn`t get to extremes cause you`re risking your hard earned muslce. Cut to a point where you look good unless you`re competing or something. Then start super controled bulk without getting sloppy with food choices along the way. If you manage to put substantial amount of muscle while maintaining acceptable bf % like 12 for instance, next year cut would be 6-8 week piece of cake. There are many bodybuilders out there not making any progress year over year due to having their calendars booked with shows. IT`s always wise to take some time off competition/extreme cutting and focus on putting on size while eating clean..

youv really put some size on during your bulk!

Quote Originally Posted by alex.mitev View Post
    Hey GB, I happened to follow this thread from the very begining and logically read your thoughts about your results, how you haven`t improved your physics, do you even ligt thing - well i can tell you look like you seriously work out!

But be careful how far you cut , you say you tend to lose muscle tissue easily and marcus brought the same point up. DOn`t get to extremes cause you`re risking your hard earned muslce. Cut to a point where you look good unless you`re competing or something. Then start super controled bulk without getting sloppy with food choices along the way. If you manage to put substantial amount of muscle while maintaining acceptable bf % like 12 for instance, next year cut would be 6-8 week piece of cake. There are many bodybuilders out there not making any progress year over year due to having their calendars booked with shows. IT`s always wise to take some time off competition/extreme cutting and focus on putting on size while eating clean..
    Hey Alex, thanks for your honest feedback and thoughts.

Yes, I'm more or less planning on doing exactly as you're stating here... I want to cut bodyfat to an appreciable level (~ 10%) and then work to maintain somewhere between 10-12 year round' whilst slowly adding quality muscle. I'll basically be following a schedule along the lines of a 3 month cut (or UP TO 3 months, as needed) through March/April/May, 3 months of maintaining (through the summer) and 6 months of 'bulking' (through the fall/winter) although that's not really the right term as true bulking will never work for me.

You're right though - my goal would be to make subsequent cuts shorter and shorter in duration, through a combo of adding more LBM and managing BF gains.

youv really put some size on during your bulk!
    Thanks brother. Even I'll admit I think I look decent here... but when the shirt comes off, I'm like wtf!?!?

I'm 1/4 through this cut; I'm hoping to be able to post up 'proper' pics (i.e. shirtless, posed, etc.) for you all to critique at the midway point in 3 more weeks, but I'll have to play that by ear with regard to my comfort level at the time.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I'm about to go eat a massive bowl of cereal and a pint of liquid egg whites for my first carb-up meal of the day.

when i see the size youve added it makes me rethink things. as you no from the help youve gave me im lean bulking, and i always am i just wonder if its right to be constantly lean bulking never cutting trying to remain lean all the time. as apposed to doin afull on bulk then cutting?

when i see the size youve added it makes me rethink things. as you no from the help youve gave me im lean bulking, and i always am i just wonder if its right to be constantly lean bulking never cutting trying to remain lean all the time. as apposed to doin afull on bulk then cutting?
    If it makes you feel any better and/or makes your decision easier, I wish I hadn't 'straight bulked'. It was never my intention. Over a year ago, I started out on a lean bulk plan - for me, that was lifting (HST style) 3x weekly, macros were 275g protein, 400g carbs, 60g fat. On off days, I was supposed to do cardio (60 mins) and drop carbs to 200g.

Due to some personal issues I was going through during the time, I sort of 'winged' it and half-abandoned my plan. I did NO cardio, and pretty much let my 'lean' bulk become a standard bulk bordering on dirty bulk. Not a good idea for somebody like me who stores bodyfat so easily.

I'd be a lot happier right now if I were 13% bodyfat cutting down to 9 rather than upwards of 18% trying to cut that in half. Cutting sucks... as Alex/I said above, the goal would be to shorten the time spent cutting. Just remember - all the time spent cutting = time spent not building muscle, so it's in everybody's best interest to cut as little as possible. This is only achievable by keeping bodyfat gains to a minimum... unless you're one of those people with such a ridiculously fast metabolism that it doesn't seem to matter.

Hey GB,

As u work out morning what way do you work your diet around that? Workout fasted? Get a quick meal in?

May need to do this with work and study building up on me!
    Cheers

after reading that i think i might be doing the best thing for me by sticking with what im doing. the thing i wonder about is reducingcarbs on off days. i usually just keep them the same. as when i have a day off the gym im stil at work which is very hatd so i feel i still need the carbs. however i do hav one day a week where i dont work or train sometimes two days if im lucky! so starting yesterday since its my weekend off ive tried what your sticky said and only had carbs in first part of the day.

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    Gbrice, ur pretty straightforward and seem to have very objective standpoint. If i can recall ur on TRT? If positive, that'd make things way easier

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    Hey GB,

As u work out morning what way do you work your diet around that? Workout fasted? Get a quick meal in?

May need to do this with work and study building up on me!
    Cheers
    Nope, I never work out fasted unless I plan to - i.e. when I'm playing with IF. When I'm 'standard' dieting, I always have a preworkout meal. 90% of the time, it's my protein smoothie:

3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites
    1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup oats
    1tbsp natty PB
    1/2 tbsp instant coffee
    1/2 tbsp raw cacao powder
    1/2 cup 1% milkfat no salt added cottage cheese
    1/2 scoop ON whey
    1/2 scoop ON casein
    1 cup crushed ice
    2-4 packets stevia (depends on how sweet you like it)
    5g creatine monohydrate (unless I'm cutting)

Works out to roughly 60g protein, 40g carbs, 15g fat. I prep all the ingredients the night before - dry all mixed together in the blender, wet all mixed together in another container. In the morning, I just dump the wet into the blender, add the ice, blend and I'm enjoying a delicious smoothie in 5 minutes.

after reading that i think i might be doing the best thing for me by sticking with what im doing. the thing i wonder about is reducingcarbs on off days. i usually just keep them the same. as when i have a day off the gym im stil at work which is very hatd so i feel i still need the carbs. however i do hav one day a week where i dont work or train sometimes two days if im lucky! so starting yesterday since its my weekend off ive tried what your sticky said and only had carbs in first part of the day.
    What you need to do is find a plan you think you can stick with, then run it for at least 6 weeks without changing anything. Switching things up constantly/too soon won't ever allow you to see what really does or doesn't work. Trust me, I spent 3 years doing that and basically got nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by alex.mitev View Post
    Gbrice, ur pretty straightforward and seem to have very objective standpoint. If i can recall ur on TRT? If positive, that'd make things way easier
    Yes sir, although I cannot honestly say I've seen any vast improvement as a result, at least not yet. Still hoping for good things in the future.

changed things up about a month ago. as i discussed with you i was loosing instead of gaining so added on some fish oil and kept things the same. so ill see how it goes. im thinking of getting loquid egg whites insted of norma eggs for convinience. amd i may try your breakfast smoothie.

Forgot to mention my weigh-in this morning... bounced between 202 and 202.5 (digital scale, meh)... I'm going with 202lbs since I got that reading more often than the other. That would mean another 2lbs down from last week which, IMO, is absolutely PERFECT progress. If I can stay on track losing 1.5-2lbs a week with no decrease in strength, you're going to see a very happy GB.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    Forgot to mention my weigh-in this morning... bounced between 202 and 202.5 (digital scale, meh)... I'm going with 202lbs since I got that reading more often than the other. That would mean another 2lbs down from last week which, IMO, is absolutely PERFECT progress. If I can stay on track losing 1.5-2lbs a week with no decrease in strength, you're going to see a very happy GB.
    Hell yeah!

Happy happy happy!

Just have to keep on truckin!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00

Hell yeah!

Happy happy happy!

Just have to keep on truckin!
    Thanks man! Right now I feel like a bloated pig, but I expect to feel/look pretty good when I get up tomorrow. Gonna have a good gym session, I can just tell!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    Sweet hoping for the same me t week myself...

Keep it up bro!!

And may need to make my own smoothie pre workout!!

Today I just had BCAAs intra and whey Pre

Day 22 - Chest & Tri's

I was expecting a really good workout, but unfortunately that didn't happen. My joints ache, and I'm sleep deprived (I go through bouts of insomnia every couple of months... it'll pass soon). The carb up wasn't enough to counter those 2 issues, so here we go:

Close Grip Bench Press - 4 x 6-10
    Set 1: 225lbs x 10
    Set 2: 225lbs x 7
    Set 3: 205lbs x 7
    Set 4: 185lbs x 8

Incline Dumbbell Press - 3 x 4-6
    Set 1: 95lbs x 6
    Set 2: 95lbs x 6
    Set 3: 95lbs x 6

^^ This is where things started going wrong. I had intended to work with 110's, but decided at the last minute to drop to 105's due to how I was feeling. Well... I couldn't even get em' up off my chest. I have no doubt if somebody helped me with the 'pop' I would have been able to press them, but I have a strict rule that if I can't initially lift them on my own, I have no business working with them. So, I dropped to 95's which obviously went up like butter. Very disappointed. I'm sure it has to do with the issues I mentioned earlier, and possibly pre-exhausted tri's as I did have a decent set on close grip bench (much better than last week). Either way, I put up 100's on incline last week and I HATE going backwards. I don't think it's loss of strength due to dieting - but I'll be paying close attention.

Flat Dumbbell Press - 3 x4-6
    Set 1: 115lbs x 6
    Set 2: 115lbs x 4
    Set 3: 100lbs x 6

Go figure. I had a worse set than last week with incline, but better than last week on flat. WTF!!!!

One-Arm Dumbbell French Press - 3 x 6-10
    Set 1: 40lbs x 10/10

Switched to (light) Two-arm dumbbell press due to elbow pain.

Set 2: 80lbs x 10
    Set 3: 80lbs x 10

30 mins of cardio.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    look on the positive side, workout is done!

whenever i don't sleep well, i never get a good early morning workout.

just keep that diet in check!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00
    look on the positive side, workout is done!

whenever i don't sleep well, i never get a good early morning workout.

just keep that diet in check!
    Thanks buddy, I plan to! I'm all good from yesterday:

Post Great Grains cereal (blueberry/cranberry, 2 huge bowls)
    3 waffles
    Protein smoothie w/ oats and banana
    16 pieces of sushi (spicy salmon and tuna rolls w/ avacado)
    2 slices of pizza
    'Lots' of coconut almond fudge ice cream
    PB&J sandwich

Probably more but that's all I can remember right now. Met most of my protein needs via liquid egg whites.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So whats happening in here? You tipping the scales yet? Pants to loose? Don't recognize yourself in the mirror anymore? Hows your progress coming along

I think I read somewhere you're using animal cuts? How you liking that, and whats in it

joebailey1271 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Wow GB, what do u do for your traps, mine will not grow no matter what i do it seems? Mine still look like a 15 y.o. traps.

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    So whats happening in here? You tipping the scales yet? Pants to loose? Don't recognize yourself in the mirror anymore? Hows your progress coming along
    Heh... none of the above. Down 6lbs over the past 3 weeks which I'm happy about... a steady 2lbs/week so far which is great. I still look like shit with my shirt off, but there's not much I can do other than to continue losing bodyfat until I look like an AIDS patient.

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    I think I read somewhere you're using animal cuts? How you liking that, and whats in it
    Yea, I decided to test it out just for shits and giggles. I wanted to stay synthetic 'stim free', i.e. no ECA or clen . No noticeable thermogenic effects, but it's definitely helping curb appetite... it might be worth the money just for that alone. Idk... I'll finish the can and report on it at that time. I did start a thread in the supplements section if you care to follow: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...s#.UVCONheG2So

Quote Originally Posted by joebailey1271 View Post
    Wow GB, what do u do for your traps, mine will not grow no matter what i do it seems? Mine still look like a 15 y.o. traps.
    Thanks man... but where you do see traps!?!

I hate my traps... one of my worst muscle groups IMO, especially where they sit on the back (vs. the 'peaks'). But to answer your question - nothing really out of the ordinary. Standard DB/Barbell/Machine shrugs, sometimes I'll do bent over shrugs (to hit that back part), and hang cleans seem to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***-gb1mod.jpg   *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***-gb2mod.jpg  

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Thanks buddy, I plan to! I'm all good from yesterday:

Post Great Grains cereal (blueberry/cranberry, 2 huge bowls)
    3 waffles
    Protein smoothie w/ oats and banana
    16 pieces of sushi (spicy salmon and tuna rolls w/ avacado)
    2 slices of pizza
    'Lots' of coconut almond fudge ice cream
    PB&J sandwich

Probably more but that's all I can remember right now. Met most of my protein needs via liquid egg whites.
    dang sounds good GB.. were u able to IIFYM or did u not quite get there? LOL.. looks like itd been challenging..

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    dang sounds good GB.. were u able to IIFYM or did u not quite get there? LOL.. looks like itd been challenging..
    Meh, somewhat, lol. I didn't count meticulously, but I also know I didn't overeat to a ridiculous degree. Since I'm so regimented 6 days a week, I'm not too concerned - and it's not a full-blown cheat day. i.e. i'm still eating egg whites, etc, not fast food and what not. The only thing I'm disappointed about is the pizza - but we bought it for workers who were replacing our boiler and water heater, and they didn't finish - so I did.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Meh, somewhat, lol. I didn't count meticulously, but I also know I didn't overeat to a ridiculous degree. Since I'm so regimented 6 days a week, I'm not too concerned - and it's not a full-blown cheat day. i.e. i'm still eating egg whites, etc, not fast food and what not. The only thing I'm disappointed about is the pizza - but we bought it for workers who were replacing our boiler and water heater, and they didn't finish - so I did.
    well u couldnt let it go to waste!

Day 23: Back, Bi's, Traps

Shoulder Warmup - Seated Lateral Raise - 2x15
    Set 1: 20lbs x 15
    Set 2: 20lbs x 15

Underhand Pullups - 5 x 6-10
    Sets 1-2: bodyweight x 10
    Set 3: bodyweight x 9
    Set 4: bodyweight x 8
    Set 5: bodyweight x 6

Seated Row (medium supinated grip) - 4 x 8-12
    Sets 1-4: 130lbs x 12

Decline Dumbbell Pullover - 4 x 8-12
    Set 1: 100lbs x 12
    Set 2: 100lbs x 9
    Set 3: 90lbs x 9
    Set 4: 90lbs x 8

Dumbbell Shrugs - 3x15
    Sets 1-3: 90lbs x 15

One-Arm Dumbbell Preacher Curls - 4x12
    Sets 1-2: 40lbs x 12/12
    Sets 3-4: 35lbs x 12/12

30 mins cardio

Day 24: Abs, Cardio

Roman Chair Sit-Ups: 5x10

Decline Sit-Ups: 5x15

Barbell Hang Cleans: 100 reps (as many sets as it takes to get there)
    Sets 1-4: 75lbs x 25

Same weight as last week, but increased reps x5 for each set, thereby reducing total sets from 5 to 4.

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Day 24: Abs, Cardiologist

Roman Chair Sit-Ups: 5x10

Decline Sit-Ups: 5x15

Barbell Hang Cleans: 100 reps (as many sets as it takes to get there)
    Sets 1-4: 75lbs x 25

Same weight as last week, but increased reps x5 for each set, thereby reducing total sets from 5 to 4.
    I see your putting in the work there bro. Question if you would kind enough to answer, what are roman chair sit ups?

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson View Post
    I see your putting in the work there bro. Question if you would kind enough to answer, what are roman chair sit ups?
    It's a basic sit up using a bench (chair) without a back, forcing core stability throughout the entire exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzAkipK5lI

It's a basic sit up using a bench (chair) without a back, forcing core stability throughout the entire exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzAkipK5lI
    We've got one of those chair thingies at my gym, I may give them a go. I read recently doing sit ups can give you bad posture, apparently doing them over time makes your hip bone slant forward, this is from Arnolds old coach, he invented an exercise called the frog crunch, which is a safer way to do them apparently. I still do crunches though, I like doing leg circles too, hit the abs nice with leg circles.

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson View Post
    We've got one of those chair thingies at my gym, I may give them a go. I read recently doing sit ups can give you bad posture, apparently doing them over time makes your hip bone slant forward, this is from Arnolds old coach, he invented an exercise called the frog crunch, which is a safer way to do them apparently. I still do crunches though, I like doing leg circles too, hit the abs nice with leg circles.
    I don't work abs often (over the course of a year), so I really don't worry much about this kind of thing. Still good to know and consider though.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    As much as I am gonna choke in my potato farls at saying this I'm gonna. Dan's an workout is actually pretty good. *cough**choke**heurgh*
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I don't work abs often (over the course of a year), so I really don't worry much about this kind of thing. Still good to know and consider though.
    I work my abs twice per week at the mo, but I know people who don't bother working them, and there ripped, because you hit your abs when doing alot of compound movements.
    I think the best way to hit your abs is with deadlifts, I depleted my abs on Monday evening, on my Tuesday night workout my abs where sore, when I was doing deadlifts could really feel my sore abs working. When your bending up and down doing deadlifts you really squeeze your abs.
    for me the deadlift is the ultimate exercise. If I had to choose what I thought was the most beneficial exercise I would probably pick deads.

Thread Information