GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    My metabolism is not on pace with a race horse. Here's a non controversial one:
    - increase LBM bc muscle uses more fuel then fat

Any others????? Fact not fiction pls. Thx!
    Last edited by GirlyGymRat; 03-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    My metabolism is not on pace with a race horse.

Just eat at maintenance for a few weeks, should get your metabolism going.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Arnie said always eat diffrent amount of calories everyday to keep the body guessing

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Relatively high calories, presence of insulin in the bloodstream, keeping leptin at 'normal' levels. While these may not increase metabolism per se, they will help combat slow-down of metabolic processes. This is essentially the science (in its crudest form) behind carb refeeds while cutting on a reduced calorie/carb diet.

twitz is offline Female Member
    Girly, I believe that eating every 2 hours can get your metabolism running properly again. I did this years ago (my metabolism sucked), eating every 2hrs and taking a digestive enzyme. It will be interesting to read the more recent article as well

I don't think that people where discrediting this notion (eating every 2 hours), I think it was protein consumption, how much the body can absorb in one sitting, and eating ice-cream/pizza that threw everyone off. From what I understand the OP was stating that he can eat that way because his metabolism is so fast from eating so often. I'll let him speak for himself though....

I think that 951thompson has a good point with eating at maintenance for a few weeks - you have eaten below maintenance for so long, your body probably needs a change to get things firing again. How long have you been eating around 1300 cals/day, and what is your maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Relatively high calories, presence of insulin in the bloodstream, keeping leptin at 'normal' levels. While these may not increase metabolism per se, they will help combat slow-down of metabolic processes. This is essentially the science (in its crudest form) behind carb refeeds while cutting on a reduced calorie/carb diet.
    Gbrice, can you point me towards a thread with a sample carb cycling diet, more on refeeds etc? I'm sure you have something on here

I know your journal has a wealth of info, but something basic for a 'newbie' to grasp

Quote Originally Posted by twitz View Post
    Girly, I believe that eating every 2 hours can get your metabolism running properly again. I did this years ago (my metabolism sucked), eating every 2hrs and taking a digestive enzyme. It will be interesting to read the more recent article as well
    I don't mean to 'burst your bubble', but it's been proven beyond a doubt that meal frequency has zero bearing on metabolism. Basically, if you consume 2000 calories (for instance) over the course of 7 meals eaten every 2 hours, or 3 meals eaten every 6, your body has 2000 calories to metabolize. The whole 'stoking the metabolic flame' or 'feeding the furnace' analogies were good ones and seemed to make sense from a logical standpoint - but they're simply incorrect.

I suspect the 'smaller frequent meals' mantra came about as more of a way to help people control their calories. i.e. people who tend to overeat wouldn't be able to do so with smaller portions eaten more often. Also, in theory they'd be less hungry, and less likely to snack in between meals when another meal was a mere couple hours away.

Don't take that to mean there's anything wrong with eating smaller more frequent meals; there's not. I've eaten that way, and a huge portion of the bodybuilding community does too (although a huge portion of the bodybuilding community are idiots, so take that for what it's worth lol), but it's not necessary in order to 'speed up' metabolism.

Other than drugs and exercise, there really is no way to speed it up as it's essentially dictated by genetics.

Gbrice, can you point me towards a thread with a sample carb cycling diet, more on refeeds etc? I'm sure you have something on here

I know your journal has a wealth of info, but something basic for a 'newbie' to grasp
    I'll repost the carb cycle i'm doing now and you can check it out in my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I don't mean to 'burst your bubble', but it's been proven beyond a doubt that meal frequency has zero bearing on metabolism. Basically, if you consume 2000 calories (for instance) over the course of 7 meals eaten every 2 hours, or 3 meals eaten every 6, your body has 2000 calories to metabolize. The whole 'stoking the metabolic flame' or 'feeding the furnace' analogies were good ones and seemed to make sense from a logical standpoint - but they're simply incorrect.
    That's the analogy I used to use a lot 'feeding the furnance'. So basically, as long as you are hitting your daily marcos for your goal, it doesn't matter if you are eating 8 meals every 2 hours, or 2 meals in an 8 hour window (IF/leangains).

[/QUOTE]Other than drugs and exercise, there really is no way to speed it up as it's essentially dictated by genetics.[/QUOTE]

And carb cycling, right?

[/QUOTE]I'll repost the carb cycle i'm doing now and you can check it out in my thread. [/QUOTE]

Thanks Gbrice

That's the analogy I used to use a lot 'feeding the furnance'. So basically, as long as you are hitting your daily marcos for your goal, it doesn't matter if you are eating 8 meals every 2 hours, or 2 meals in an 8 hour window (IF/leangains).
    Don't feel bad, I did too. That's the great thing about this sport... as new technologies and science becomes available, we learn new things and old theories that were taken as gospel are disproven. Hey, they thought the world was flat once too, right!?

Basically, yea. Larger meals will simply take longer to digest. My advice to people nowadays is to do what best suits them and fits their lifestyle. Some people enjoy eating more frequently, and I say go for it. Others enjoy a few smaller 'snacks' (by snacks, I still mean a proper meal but snack size) with one large meal at the end of the day, and that's fine too.

Currently, i'm eating 4 meals/day plus a PWO shake. I may drop it to 3 meals so I can make them bigger. I enjoy feeling full. I do NOT enjoy grazing all day... makes me miserable, and I'm constantly thinking about food and the next meal. Satiation is huge with me, lol!

And carb cycling, right?
    Haha!! Well, kind of. Dieting (i.e. hypocaloric, low carb) for even a short time has a negative impact on many bodily functions, metabolic processes being one. However, it's necessary to lose bodyfat, plain and simple. Lesser of 2 evils I guess. But with carb/calorie cycling, we can counter this negative impact and give our bodies a chance to recover, and possibly even grow a bit.

Thanks Gbrice
    Anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat

So there are only 2 then the second being eating at maintenance levels.

I had read eating spicy foods (hot peppers) and drinking COLD water also increase metabolism.??

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Not that I expect anyone to post one but I think eating more frequent will keep metabolism more steady or higher.

For example if I didn't eat anything all day and then ate all food in one sitting you're metabolism would,over time, become slower. Like you're body would learn to burn slower. Obv this isn't practical to eat all at once but just is a theory that meal frequency does matter

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    Not that I expect anyone to post one but I think eating more frequent will keep metabolism more steady or higher.

For example if I didn't eat anything all day and then ate all food in one sitting you're metabolism would,over time, become slower. Like you're body would learn to burn slower. Obv this isn't practical to eat all at once but just is a theory that meal frequency does matter
    Read post #7
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi View Post

sorry mate, already discussed above. I too for awhile was eating every other hour. But, the science couldn't support such an effort, and more frequent meals has zero impact on metabolism. Having said that, i still like to eat smaller, more regular meals, as i believe it reduces the stomach bulg you get if you just eat three large meals. But I don't fool myself into thinking it will have an impact on my metabolism.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Read post #7
    I saw it. I just didn't want to quote it cause it was long as hell and would take the entire page.

Ima do some research to find any supporting articles. Cause in theory it makes sense.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post

Interval training.... HIIT
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    Having a diet break - eating at maintanence would have positive effect on metabolism , given you`ve been dieting. It`d restore hormone levels , but Gbrice alredy pointed that out.

As for eating frequency, the most touted benefit is the thermic effect of food which is way overrated IMO. The larger the meal the larger the thermic effect of food is, then you do the math - it`s all the same in the end of the day.

Having the greater part (lets say 50%) of your diet comprised of whole protein rich foods is yet another story. You can significantly improve your net caloric balance!

Thank you for the replies. Seems the choices are limited. My best effort will be on increasing lean muscle and eating at maintenance. Appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9

Interval training.... HIIT
    And this!

Thread Information