Thread: Macro Splits

franny2 is offline Banned

Macro Splits. GBRICE. 405.

Hey Guys, I have a Question.

Ive been running a 60 20 20 split of PCF for a while now and its starting to become frustrating, 2000cals of 300p 100c 50f im considering changing to a 50 30 20 split of 260P 160c 50 fat

My question is, if i remember correctly someone stated keeping carbs at or below 20% helps burn fat better. Now i dont get any satisfaction out of eating so much protein but after a carb meal i always feel better haha. So can anyone else back up that keeping carbs at 20% will infact help with my cut. Or will i achieve the same results at the end of the day with a 50 30 20 split. ?

88kg
    14% or so.

Dont believe i need 300P TBH.
    Last edited by franny2; 04-02-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Carbs increase insulin , insulin pushes nutrients into muscles as well as fat cells.

At 1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass. 260g protein is enough. But I'd increase dietary fat before carbs. And ur at a deficit, ur supposed to feel hungry...

-TroN-

Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    Carbs increase insulin , insulin pushes nutrients into muscles as well as fat cells.

At 1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass. 260g protein is enough. But I'd increase dietary fat before carbs. And ur at a deficit, ur supposed to feel hungry...

-TroN-
    i dont really care much about insulin i find a lot of that broscience tbh, meal timing/insulin timing etc etc i dont beleive it. Unless your actually pinning insulin then it may make a big difference.

No offence bro but that didnt answer my question at all lol.

Anyone else?

at the end of the day a defict is a defict, im just wondering if it would make much difference, IF ANY at all to change the macro split.

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Insulin is a bro science? Haha ok dude.

-TroN-

Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    Insulin is a bro science? Haha ok dude.

-TroN-

So is the whole, dont eat carbs after 3pm coz it will jack ur insulin to much and ull get fat not broscience either?. or the whole dont eat any carbs before bed because it will jack insulin not broscience either? A defict is a defict, end of story dude. A surplus of calories weather it be PCF will make you fat. As long as ur in a defict YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT unless you have something hormonally wrong i guess.LOW test or inactive thyroid or something. Anyways u had nothing to contribute to my post.

From what ive read, once u get to say 10% thats when u really need to focus more on a macro split/lowerish carbs. At my current 14-15% a 50 30 20 should be ok to drop down to 12-10% fine. But just want some opinions.

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've slipped up in the past by using macro ratios. It had me eating unnecessary amount of protein.

I now use a guide of
    1-1.5g protein lb/bw
    .5g fat lb/bw

And fill the rest in with carbs to suit my calories

Quote Originally Posted by auswest View Post
    I've slipped up in the past by using macro ratios. It had me eating unnecessary amount of protein.

I now use a guide of
    1-1.5g protein lb/bw
    .5g fat lb/bw

And fill the rest in with carbs to suit my calories

yup true bro thats a pretty common calculation. I still prefer splits myself. Just curios if id still manage to get shredded using a 50 30 20 split to drop a bit more fat while trying to keep my sanity as opposed to a 60 20 20 where i end up cheating the rest of the day and binge eating coz its a terrible ****ing split lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by franny2

yup true bro thats a pretty common calculation. I still prefer splits myself. Just curios if id still manage to get shredded using a 50 30 20 split to drop a bit more fat while trying to keep my sanity as opposed to a 60 20 20 where i end up cheating the rest of the day and binge eating coz its a terrible ****ing split lol.
    How much do you weigh?
    Last edited by auswest; 04-02-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    The rule I mentioned previously if followed will see your protein % of your diet increase as you lower your calories into a cut. You are basically doing the same thing as following a cookie cutter % split

Do the maths and you'll see what I'm saying, you will still be consuming the same amount of protein, but your calories are lower so as you cut the calories the % of protein will increase looking like your typical macro split you are looking for but your protein intake trailered to your specific body weight have not changed
    Last edited by auswest; 04-02-2013 at 01:14 AM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by franny2 View Post
    So is the whole, dont eat carbs after 3pm coz it will jack ur insulin to much and ull get fat not broscience either?. or the whole dont eat any carbs before bed because it will jack insulin not broscience either? A defict is a defict, end of story dude. A surplus of calories weather it be PCF will make you fat. As long as ur in a defict YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT unless you have something hormonally wrong i guess.LOW test or inactive thyroid or something. Anyways u had nothing to contribute to my post.
    You seem to already have all the answers, so I'm not sure why you're even asking the question(s) you're asking.

Re: the bold - agreed. However, I don't know about you, but when I'm eating a hypocaloric diet, I'm interested in losing bodyfat, not indiscriminate 'weight'. When eating in a hypercaloric diet, I'm interested in adding lean muscle tissue. The composition of said weight in either case will be dictated to a degree by macros/food choices, and IMHO (to a lesser degree), meal timing.

To address your original question - Tron is right. Carbs have the greatest impact on insulin secretion. Fat mobilization and oxidation do not occur when insulin is present in the bloodstream, therefore keeping carbs in check is a good idea for anybody interested in reducing their bodyfat.

Personally, I keep my carbs focused around my workout window. Energy taken when required. I hit my carb macro within 2-3 meals, all by 11am (note I workout at 6am). But, I don't want to bog you down with all that broscience stuff.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 04-02-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    You seem to already have all the answers, so I'm not sure why you're even asking the question(s) you're asking.

Re: the bold - agreed. However, I don't know about you, but when I'm eating a hypocaloric diet, I'm interested in losing bodyfat, not indiscriminate 'weight'. When eating in a hypercaloric diet, I'm interested in adding lean muscle tissue. The composition of said weight in either case will be dictated to a degree by macros/food choices, and IMHO (to a lesser degree), meal timing.

To address your original question - Tron is right. Carbs have the greatest impact on insulin secretion. Fat mobilization and oxidation does not occur when insulin is present in the bloodstream, therefore keeping carbs in check is a good idea for anybody interested in reducing their bodyfat.

Personally, I keep my carbs focused around my workout window. Energy taken when required. I hit my carb macro within 2-3 meals, all by 11am (note I workout at 6am). But, I don't want to bog you down with all that broscience stuff.

So should i just keep my csrbs at 20% if it burns fat better. Ill sdnit ive gotton good results from it. Just painful to have carbs at 20% 30% seems good. What do u think? Will 30% still wield as good results as 20%?

Quote Originally Posted by franny2 View Post
    So should i just keep my csrbs at 20% if it burns fat better. Ill sdnit ive gotton good results from it. Just painful to have carbs at 20% 30% seems good. What do u think? Will 30% still wield as good results as 20%?
    Dude, I feel your pain. I'm cutting right now and since I have such a shit metabolism, have to cut at relatively low calories. Our macros are nearly identical. I'm eating around 130g carbs/day, and slightly more fat. 300g protein just like you. I agree, it sucks. I'm a carb junkie - and when I let that get the best of me, it shows.

Honestly, I don't think bumping carbs to 30% is going to have any huge (negative) impact on your progress. We're talking about 50g more carbs/day. I'd distribute them evenly across existing carb meals vs. adding another carb meal, but that's just my preference. Give it a shot and see how you do. I'd run 150g carbs for at least 3-4 weeks before deciding one way or the other. You're not going to turn into a fat fvck from 50g more carbs/day in 4 weeks time!

PS - I agree you don't need 300g protein. 250g would be PLENTY for you. So, if you want to reduce protein by 50g and bump carbs by 50g, you'll be able to keep your overall calories the same. In sticking with your original way of thinking, problem solved!

Sweet mate cheers. So im still gonna look the same at the end of my cut body comp wise wkth a 30%carb macro as oppodex to a 20% carb macro as i know macros determine body comp a fair bit.

Thread Information