Thread: Paleo Diet

Yosh73 is offline Junior Member

Paleo Diet

Anybody heard of Paleo? It's not really a diet where you're limited to strictness however you're more freed to when you're hungry. However the rules are you can only eat food which cavement (ancient humans) had to scavenge/hunt. These would include: Meat, fruits, Veges, Nuts, so no legumes, no milk, no dairy, no rice, no white potato (considered a poison).

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    dude i want to punch the idiot in that avi pic in the face..
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 04-03-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    dude i want to punch the idiot in that avi pic in the face..
    that's great to know, unfortunately it doesn't answer my question. And that dude's awesome there's no reason you should punch him in the face. He'd probably laugh if you did and love it. I went to one of his concerts and he crowd dove off 2 stories landed square on me gave me a huge bruise on my nose then helped me up and talked to me a bit before I threw him back on stage lol.

Tyler, the Creator baby

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yes we have heard about it and talked about it a few times. Good diet if you can hit.your macros with it

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosh73 View Post
    that's great to know, unfortunately it doesn't answer my question. And that dude's awesome there's no reason you should punch him in the face. He'd probably laugh if you did and love it. I went to one of his concerts and he crowd dove off 2 stories landed square on me gave me a huge bruise on my nose then helped me up and talked to me a bit before I threw him back on stage lol.

Tyler, the Creator baby
    good to know. paleo seems interesting, i have only recently even lookd into it primarily out of curiosity. im sure like most diets it will work for some and not for others.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Fairly familiar with it. I like the idea from a straight health/longevity standpoint. Most food allergies are associated with grains and the like. One day, I'll give the diet a run. However, I'm not convinced (far from it actually) that it's an optimal approach to building muscle. Getting/staying lean? No doubt.

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    the "paleo" (or caveman) diet is similar to the adkins diet in that it works out to be high in protein and fats, low in carbs. and yes, the diet consists only of foods that a "caveman" would have eaten in the "paleolithic era", so you avoid processed foods. overall, it can be quite a healthy diet. and like gbrice says above, it eliminates most common food allergies.

some of the "paleo" adherents, however, can be a bit fanatical. it's not just a diet, its a frickin religion to some. science, research, studies - who cares about that stuff?

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosh73 View Post
    Anybody heard of Paleo? It's not really a diet where you're limited to strictness however you're more freed to when you're hungry. However the rules are you can only eat food which cavement (ancient humans) had to scavenge/hunt. These would include: Meat, fruits, Veges, Nuts, so no legumes, no milk, no dairy, no rice, no white potato (considered a poison).
    i ate a quasi-paleo diet before and liked it.

bold, i do not agree with this. it is still all about macros in a daily diet

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    GB & 405, reckon you could give up your PB to do this?

Next week I plan in going gluten free for a month or so. I can live without PB too. But I need milk in my tea dammit
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post

Next week I plan in going gluten free for a month or so. I can live without PB too. But I need milk in my tea dammit
    have you tried almond milk or coconut milk?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00

have you tried almond milk or coconut milk?
    It's not right in tea mate. I have no issue with milk, just thought I would drop flour based products for some time to see what, if any effect, it would have.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post

For all intents and purposes, I should give up PB in general. It's just SO hard for me not to dip into the stuff when I shouldn't be. I should replace it with a big jar of fish oil!

To answer your question - yes, for a brief period.

You can gain mad muscle with paleo, you'll be mucking so much meat and sweet potato are you kidding me, and nuts, olive oil etc. It's perfect imo for any style of goal, bulk, lean bulk, maintain, leaning, cut. anything can be gone paleo, its really about the foods your eating, so keep the same macros just substitute the food for paleo food, fruits, veges, meat, nuts, eggs etc.

no reply? yeah thought so... yall know i'm right

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Paleo is too restrictive imo, I know thats probably abit of a contradiction considering the diet im following. But if you tell someone they can't have nothing but caveman food, it would just make me want to binge out on chocolate, it's human nature, we want what we can't have. So if you tell me I can't have pizza, I bet by the end of the week my bitch arse would be eating pizza. I could not do it. Sure the food choices are good, but from a mental perspective I think your setting yourself up to fail.
    I mean if you follow this diet, you can't have protein shakes, sweetners or anything, each to there own, but for me,**** that!

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    obviously, all diets are restrictive. some diets restrict the amount of food (or calories), some restrict the type of food (like no carbs). the "paleo" diet restricts the TYPE of food, but the diet does not restrict the AMOUNT of food. the idea is that if you are eating the right TYPE of foods, you wont want to "overeat" and therefore you will either lose fat or at least not gain any.

i'm not sure how well the paleo diet works for bodybuilder/weight lifter type guys who are trying to "bulk up" or increase strength. although as gbrice points out above, it would probably work quite well for "cutting"/getting lean.

docjnsn is offline New Member
    My wife and I have both been on the paleo diet for a couple of years due to some food allergies (Milk products, eggs and a few others) Health wise it's been an improvement but it's been just about impossible to gain any real weight while eating this way.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The thing about the Paleo diet that makes me wonder is this:
    Those guys didn't live to long. Some of the things we eat take a while before the damage that they do starts to manifest. For example: Gout, I know there is a genetic predisposition but the food always plays a role in gout.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I am thinking bout taking a run at this diet for a month. It will be hard. I luv my morning oatmeal and processed carbs. I sweets too!

I will have to give up my protein shakes. That will hurt too. The oatmeal is even harder for me. Not sure I will get the full benefit with still having oatmeal.

Thread Information