energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference

Do you need a calorie surplus to gain strength?

as the title says.....i know generally to lose fat/weight you need a calorie deficit and to gain muscle/weight you need a calorie surplus. But what about strength gains, do we need more calories for this? or is it a matter of getting enough protein to repair/recover muscles between workouts?

all opinions, facts, experinces welcome!

cheers.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    no. blokes can get stronger and not gain size, and maintain their calories.

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries
    I defiantly get stronger with the more food I eat.... When I'm hitting 6k-7k calories a day I am far stronger then even a regular 5k bulk

Quote Originally Posted by human project View Post
    I defiantly get stronger with the more food I eat.... When I'm hitting 6k-7k calories a day I am far stronger then even a regular 5k bulk
    7k/cals/day????

...what? all peanut butter?

shit. i was 4k/cals/day a few months back and was gaining weight too fast.

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman

7k/cals/day????

...what? all peanut butter?

shit. i was 4k/cals/day a few months back and was gaining weight too fast.
    Yea most people would gain a lot of bf with that many calories but it depends on how fast your metabolism is... And one way or another even if your gaining too much weight "bf" it would still make you stronger... And btw yes a big portion of my caloric intake is with peanut and almond butter.... Every night half a jar and two apples=) favorite meal of the day!!!

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Back in my teen years, i was a right fatty (obese) I could do the chuffle shuffle and everything, I was huge! Well anyway when losing the weight,I gained alot of strength while eating at a deficit. But been obese I think my body will of been able to make up what calories it needed from bodyfat (I had enough of it) I gained like 40kg to my benchpress in a year.

However Im currently eating at a deficit, I am making small strength gains, around a kg every 3 to 4 week's or so.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    Wow!! Thats just nuts!!

Yea most people would gain a lot of bf with that many calories but it depends on how fast your metabolism is... And one way or another even if your gaining too much weight "bf" it would still make you stronger... And btw yes a big portion of my caloric intake is with peanut and almond butter.... Every night half a jar and two apples=) favorite meal of the day!!!

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Depends on how strong you are to begin with and what you're on.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I always gain strength on a calorie surplus, and I don't ever doubt that I owe this extra strength to the extra water & fat that my body holds while eating well over maintenance.

MrMayhem is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turkish juicer View Post
    i always gain strength on a calorie surplus, and i don't ever doubt that i owe this extra strength to the extra water & fat that my body holds while eating well over maintenance.
    this ^^^

I would love to do a proper bulking diet. but once my weight hits about 250, the arthritas in my back becomes too much for me, so then I back it down to where i'm at now, around 235.

I'm hoping someday to get back surgery and fix this damn thing. Then I couuld see what life is like in the 250+ range....?

Thread Information