areichert is offline Junior Member

I need your opinion on my eating and goals

First let me give you my stats, 24 year old male, 5'11, and weigh 205. My bf% I would say is around 26-27%. My goals are to get down to 15%bf, shred my stomach fat, then eventually take AAS. My daily eating pattern consist of is:
    Morning: Egg whites with plain whole grain oatmeal
    Snack: Fruit
    Lunch: Veggie Plater
    Dinner: Grilled lean chicken with veggies

Supplements: Keytones, CLA, Multi-vitamin, Glass of super seed, and a glass of muscle pharm assault before workouts.

Now if I'm trying to shred, is this a good diet to go on? Should I be concentrating more on cardio, weights, or both?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by areichert View Post
    First let me give you my stats, 24 year old male, 5'11, and weigh 205. My bf% I would say is around 26-27%. My goals are to get down to 15%bf, shred my stomach fat, then eventually take AAS. My daily eating pattern consist of is:
    Morning: Egg whites with plain whole grain oatmeal
    Lunch: Veggie Plater
    Dinner: Grilled lean chicken with veggies

Supplements: Keytones, CLA, Multi-vitamin, Glass of super seed, and a glass of muscle pharm assault before workouts.

Now if I'm trying to shred, is this a good diet to go on? Should I be concentrating more on cardio, weights, or both?
    Can't answer anything regarding diet as we've been given virtually no information. How much are you eating? What are your macronutrients (protein/carbs/fat) for each meal?

At a glance, I know girls who eat (way) more than you. Starving yourself isn't the way to lose bodyfat. See the link below, it's a perfect starting point for you.

Re: your last question - both cardio and resistance training is the way to go.

http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...1-cutting.html

I'm not starving myself, I'm actually full when I eat.

I'm not starving myself, I'm actually full when I eat.
    'Feeling' full doesn't mean your eating optimally, or optimal quantities. It doesn't even necessarily mean your full in the true sense of the word. Just read the sticky.

Point being - you have 2 meals here, with some fruit and veggies in between. Further, I'm going to assume the meals are relatively small. You're probably chronically underfeeding yourself, and you're most definitely not getting enough protein with egg whites and some grilled chicken over the course of a whole day.

So yes, I'd say you *are* starving yourself.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 04-15-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Ok thank you for that, now let me ask you this. If i'm trying to shred weight is protein shakes an ideal thing to drink? Would two shakes a day be a way to go? One in the morning, and one after workout? And I just read the sticky, thanks for sharing.

Ok thank you for that, now let me ask you this. If i'm trying to shred weight is protein shakes an ideal thing to drink? Would two shakes a day be a way to go? One in the morning, and one after workout? And I just read the sticky, thanks for sharing.
    Personally I prefer to eat 'real' food whenever possible, mainly for the sake of satiation, but I will say that protein shakes are better than nothing at all. At the very least, you should add a few shakes to what you're already eating. Again, I'd like to see how much you're actually eating (in terms of macros and/or calories), but I have no doubt you're undereating... I'd venture to guess you're in the 1200 calorie range if that.

Well after taking a look at my eating your in the ball park of calorie intake. Now I realize that I'm undereating. With my work hours its tough to get a well prepared meal throughout the day. I'm not trying to make excuses, but its the truth. What could you recommend to better my eating, and I'm calculating my macro count right now.

Well after taking a look at my eating your in the ball park of calorie intake. Now I realize that I'm undereating. With my work hours its tough to get a well prepared meal throughout the day. I'm not trying to make excuses, but its the truth. What could you recommend to better my eating, and I'm calculating my macro count right now.
    I have something in mind that might work well for somebody in your situation. What are your work hours? Also, how new to dieting/training are you?

Trust me, I don't think it's an excuse, I hate when people accuse others of that. As if we all have the same responsibilities and schedules of those guys who can dedicate 100% of themselves to this lifestyle. Self-centered pricks!

Haha, well i'm up at 5:30am to get ready for work, and usually dont get off until 5pm. I'm not new to weightlifting or training, my eating has just got out of hand the past months. I've always been able to slim down, but now I'm after gaining size.

Haha, well i'm up at 5:30am to get ready for work, and usually dont get off until 5pm. I'm not new to weightlifting or training, my eating has just got out of hand the past months.
    When do you/can you train?

I've always been able to slim down, but now I'm after gaining size.

My bf% I would say is around 26-27%. My goals are to get down to 15%bf, shred my stomach fat
    Which is it?

I try to get up around 4:30 and do 45mins on the bike, but sometimes that doesnt happen due to the fact that I need rest. I usually go to the gym after work which could be anywhere between 5-6. Then after some weight lifting I'll head to the fields and do some more cardio. I started this routine about a month and a half ago. Started at 218 and now down to 205. Really my objective is to get a down eating diet and shred stomach fat.

Oh and to answer your question, the reason i'm trying to shred fat is to get to 15% bf. When I get there, I want to start heavy weight lifting with AAS. Am I doing this right?

Personally I'd want to be lower before worrying about adding mass. I once started a 'bulk' around 15% and wasn't happy with the end result - maybe a bit more lean mass, but higher bodyfat, meaning a longer cut after. From now on, I won't 'bulk' unless I'm 12% or lower. Actually, I won't 'bulk' at all. Bulking will never be a good option for guys like us (who have the propensity to store bodyfat more readily).

I wouldn't even be thinking about AAS right now if I were you. Concentrate on the fundamentals... get your diet and training in check, there's plenty of muscle to be built naturally. How old are you?

I'm 24.

I'm 24.
    You're young man... not saying you're too young for AAS, but rather that you still have time on your side, to learn, and implement - before needing to look at AAS. IMHO.

Gotcha, now you said you had some ideas on my eating due to my work schedule. With me stating already what I'm consuming what can I do to make sure I intake enough to maintain a healthy balance.

What I was thinking of for you earlier, re: diet - was a fasting approach. Basically, you fast for X amount of hours (depending on which approach you choose... I suggesting looking into Leangains), and then you have a feeding window. You can set this up so your feeding window falls during a time you can eat, and your fasting window is while you're working (and probably beyond).

Check out leangains dot com.

Also, check out these threads:

http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...t=intermittent

http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...t=intermittent

Re: calories - you should probably be aiming for roughly 2000 calories/day which I believe will have you at a modest caloric deficit. This is, of course, a ballpark figure. It'll require you to monitor your progress and make adjustments as you go along.

Ok I will look into that, and I know I already asked this but I want to confirm. If I'm trying to lose weight will protein shakes in the morning on top of egg whites and a shake after I workout be ideal?

Or should I drink a shake instead of a fruit snack?

Ok I will look into that, and I know I already asked this but I want to confirm. If I'm trying to lose weight will protein shakes in the morning on top of egg whites and a shake after I workout be ideal?
    A plan (i.e. training + nutrition) that has you at a slight caloric deficit (either via diet, cardio, or both) and is providing enough protein and fats to fuel your body's needs, plus fiber, micronutrients, etc. is what's ideal.

Talking about a protein shake here, egg whites there, etc. is pointless. It's about your regimen as a whole. I suggest you spend a lot of time doing some research right here on the board. There are plenty of diets posted up that are great examples. Easy enough to find right here in the nutrition section.

Right I'm with ya, and I will do that. I just hear all the time "you need more protein in your diet, "gotta have your protein." I was always under the impression that protein helps repair and build muscle, but at my stage I'm trying to cut weight.

Right I'm with ya, and I will do that. I just hear all the time "you need more protein in your diet, "gotta have your protein."
    Based on the diet you proposed earlier, they're right.

I was always under the impression that protein helps repair and build muscle
    Your impression is correct

but at my stage I'm trying to cut weight.
    Do you think that if you're in a process of 'cutting weight', your body no longer needs to repair and/or build muscle? You need protein no matter what your goals are. Actually, I can make the argument that when you're cutting, you need more protein since you're carbs and fats (which have LBM/protein sparing properties) will be relatively lower.

Thank you for your response... You've been very helpful...

Quote Originally Posted by areichert
    Thank you for your response... You've been very helpful...
    Anytime brother.

Thread Information