Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member

Portion of meat post workout stimulates muscle growth

Portion of meat post workout stimulates muscle growth

A portion of protein after training stimulates muscle growth. Most of the research that confirms this refers to protein shakes, and especially those based on whey. But a portion of meat works just as well write Canadian sports scientists at McMaster University in Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism.

The researchers did an experiment with 35 men with an average age of 59 years. During the days preceding the experiment the men consumed 1 g protein per kg bodyweight per day.

The researchers got the men to train one leg on a leg extension machine, but not the other leg. The men did three sets of 8-10 reps.

After the leg training session the researchers gave the men 0, 57, 113 or 170 g fried minced meat. That' s the equivalent of 0,12, 24 or 36 g protein. The minced meat contained 15 percent fat. So the 170-g portion provided 26 g fat.

After the meal the researchers took samples from the men's leg muscles, and measured the myofibrillar protein synthesis [MPS] – put simply, muscle fibre production. The figure shows that the minced meat stimulated the production of muscle fibre protein in the untrained leg [FED], and that this effect was stronger in the trained leg [FED+EX].

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meatresistanceexercise2.gif 
Views:	103 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	137429

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meatresistanceexercise.gif 
Views:	99 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	137430

Meat is a slow protein, according to the figures above. These show that four hours after intake the concentration of essential amino acids and BCAAs continued to rise.

The researchers aren't sure what would happen if the men consumed more meat than the 170 g after a workout, but they suspect that 170 g is about the optimum amount.

The study was financed by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association [beef.org] and by Canada Beef [canadabeef.ca].

Source: Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2013 Feb;38(2):120-5.

ergo-log

bigsiv is offline Productive Member
    Interesting TJ, I normally have a shake after my without I might try and get some beef or chicken in as well. Can only help I guess. Good read. Thanx

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    This is more my style of eating, I eat mainly whole foods, I only use shakes when im tight on time.

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Thread Information