Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member

carb cycling while bulking

ive been on a quest for serious mass the past 13 weeks, and have had pretty good results WITH an extremely low carb diet. i do this because my body doesnt respond well to carbs over the long haul. i gain fat, go hypoglycemic, etc etc etc, so i cut them out. ive never actually carb cycles, so im curious as to how it works with me. since im on such a low carb diet as it is, i guess technically i would just be adding in a refeed. not really sure how/if a carb cycling approach could be implimented with bulking. has anyone tried this? i imagine not since im sure a majority of people bulk with large amounts of carbs.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219
    ive been on a quest for serious mass the past 13 weeks, and have had pretty good results WITH an extremely low carb diet. i do this because my body doesnt respond well to carbs over the long haul. i gain fat, go hypoglycemic, etc etc etc, so i cut them out. ive never actually carb cycles, so im curious as to how it works with me. since im on such a low carb diet as it is, i guess technically i would just be adding in a refeed. not really sure how/if a carb cycling approach could be implimented with bulking. has anyone tried this? i imagine not since im sure a majority of people bulk with large amounts of carbs.
    Carb cycling can *definitely* be applied to 'bulking'. I've used it with pretty good success. I'll help you if you'd like, but I must say you have good timing; word on the street is there's a new dieting 101 write-up / sticky in progress .... wonder what the topic is?!

word on the street huh? haha

id definately like to hear what you have to say about it. if i do it, i would probably reorginize my workout plan to incorperate 2 days off, with "high" days being the day before my days off (legs/back)

something like this was what i was thinking

mon-low(shoulders)
    tues-mod (arms, abs)
    weds-high (legs)
    thursday-zero (off)
    friday-mod (chest)
    sat-high (back)
    sun-zero (off)

this was just kinda off the top of my head, most definately open for suggestions

word on the street huh? haha

id definately like to hear what you have to say about it. if i do it, i would probably reorginize my workout plan to incorperate 2 days off, with "high" days being the day before my days off (legs/back)

something like this was what i was thinking

mon-low(shoulders)
    tues-mod (arms, abs)
    weds-high (legs)
    thursday-zero (off)
    friday-mod (chest)
    sat-high (back)
    sun-zero (off)

this was just kinda off the top of my head, most definately open for suggestions
    I usually build the diet/cycle around training. Post up how you *want* to train (if different from this) and we'll go from there.

lets go with a split like this

lets go with a split like this
    Cool. I'll work with this tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Cool. I'll work with this tomorrow.
    'preciate it
    i know how a cutting carb cycle works, just unsure of how a bulking carb cycle would work. i ASSUME the no carb days would be at maintenance cals?

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post

'preciate it
    i know how a cutting carb cycle works, just unsure of how a bulking carb cycle would work. i ASSUME the no carb days would be at maintenance cals?
    Yes try for maintenance calories even on a low or no carb

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Eat most of your carbs around training time, that's when your body uses them, when your resting your body uses fat for energy. So lower your carbs and up your fats on your days off.

'preciate it
    I only had a single no carb day during my 'bulk', and yes, it was around maintenance, maybe even a bit under.

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson
    Eat most of your carbs around training time, that's when your body uses them, when your resting your body uses fat for energy. So lower your carbs and up your fats on your days off.
    It won't really matter when throughout the day carbs are consumed (with every meal except bedtime on my plan). With the amount of carbs you'll be taking in on training days (if you run my style) to facilitate gains, you'll still have plenty of stored glycogen and moderate levels of circulating insulin , so fat loss (on those days) doesn't factor in. That's what non-training days are for.

Thread Information