Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sgt2jay
  • 1 Post By sgt2jay
  • 1 Post By sgt2jay

Thread: Intermitant Fasting (IF)

sgt2jay is offline Knowledgeable Member

Intermitant Fasting (IF)

well i have been out of the loop for some time really tweeking the diet.

I have been doing a lot of reading on IF and looking to give it a go, but i am notieing 2 main protocols. the once a week for 24 hours or the 16 hour fast 8 hour feed.

just looking for opinions on which they prefer and why.

thanks
    sgt

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt2jay View Post
    well i have been out of the loop for some time really tweeking the diet.

I have been doing a lot of reading on IF and looking to give it a go, but i am notieing 2 main protocols. the once a week for 24 hours or the 16 hour fast 8 hour feed.

just looking for opinions on which they prefer and why.

thanks
    sgt
    IMO, 16/8 (i.e. Leangains protocol) by a landslide. Here's why:

- A single 24 hour fast per week isn't going to do much for you with regard to the benefits of fasting - e.g. increasing insulin sensitivity, raising/lower leptin and ghrelin (and their relationship to epinephrine and norepinephrine), a daily process of suppressing insulin, mobilizing and and utilizing fatty acids as a fuel source, etc. The only true benefit I can see is additional caloric deficit, assuming you're cutting, as you're basically eating 6 days worth of calories over the course of 7.

- 16/8 on the other hand, will. You'll have daily cyclic periods of being hypocaloric, and hypercaloric. This approach, IMO, is much 'friendlier' to bodybuilding. I actually incorporated both; ran Leangains, and added a single 24 hour fast.

i was leaning toward the 16/8 mainly because it seems for lack of a better term easier as ill be asleep for about half of the time.
    also how would you plan you work out timing i have read 2 scnerios 1 being before last meal and 1 at the end of the fast before first meal.

my only time for gym is 5 am so i am leaning towards ending my fast after.

thoughts?

i was leaning toward the 16/8 mainly because it seems for lack of a better term easier as ill be asleep for about half of the time.
    also how would you plan you work out timing i have read 2 scnerios 1 being before last meal and 1 at the end of the fast before first meal.

my only time for gym is 5 am so i am leaning towards ending my fast after.

thoughts?
    We're not all that different then. My only time for gym was/is 6am. I chose to have my feeding window from 11am - 7pm for a few reasons:

1 - I wanted to train fasted. The increased adrenaline response to having been fasted for so many hours was incredible, and I didn't feel weak or tired AT ALL.

2 - I wanted to sleep through a good portion of my fast (for obvious reasons)

3 - I wanted to be able to eat dinner with my wife. So the combination of timeframe, plus the fact I was able to eat much larger meals, was perfect.

Yes, this means my PWO meal (fast breaker) was delayed several hours PWO. Not a big deal. Protein synthesis is increased and remains elevated several hours PWO. I did however take 10g BCAA before and after, as muscle breakdown was a slight concern.

so what i am getting is that if everything is in check and you dont mind a slight chance on muscle break down i could easily make it work with my feed from say 8 am - 4pm

I am currently following a low card high fat diet with the bulk of my carbs as veggies, and i am planning on eating very close to maintinence cals. i was thinking 3-4 meals with the larger lower card higher fat meal as the last, or does it matter that much as the numbers are good.

sorry it seems the more i read the more questions

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    thanks and i havent

to be a bit clearer macros somethin like this
    253g p 1010 cals
    50c 200 cals
    122f 1100 cals not including a tablespoon of coconut oil with a cup of coffee mid fast

to be a bit clearer macros somethin like this
    253g p 1010 cals
    50c 200 cals
    122f 1100 cals not including a tablespoon of coconut oil with a cup of coffee mid fast
    Why would you purposely eat a tbsp of oil mid-fast? You do realize that technically breaks the fast?

this is more in the begining.

I have read that coffee can be a benifit while fasting and that adding a pure fat source won’t “take you out” of the fasted state, and it may take the edge off the hunger, but it will reduce the body fat you burn by a bit.

this would be as a need as i am getting used to fasting.

this is more in the begining.

I have read that coffee can be a benifit while fasting and that adding a pure fat source won’t “take you out” of the fasted state, and it may take the edge off the hunger, but it will reduce the body fat you burn by a bit.

this would be as a need as i am getting used to fasting.
    Meh. If it worked for you, great. I can't see a tbsp of oil doing shit for me in terms of curbing hunger, lol. It definitely won't have a 'dramatic' (negative) effect, especially since fat has very little if any impact on insulin secretion, so no biggie really, I was just curious.

Personally, I had no issue with hunger - I only started getting hungry about an hour or two before it was time to eat... and that was very likely more psychological than anything else, since I knew I'd be eating soon (similar to Pavlov's dog).

agreed - it may be that i am over researching. i may rethink the coconut oil after all if i am going to fast why find and excuse to add something. looks like i will go all or nothing on this one. I think i am going to follow the time protocol you used on the link you added with the exception that my macros will be much different. I am really likeing this Paleo/LCHF meal plan i am on now, and i think the IF will take it to the next level.

thanks i think i am tracking now
    sgt

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    my feed from say 8 am - 4pm
    What time do you go to bed? I figured bulk of your fast should be situated around when you go to bed, atleast that's the way I've been doing it. Eat from 2-10 or 12-8. I hate going to bed starving

i go to bed 8 - 830. unless the wife has a better plan then sleep for me. i am leaning towards 12 - 8 or 7 - 3

agreed - it may be that i am over researching. i may rethink the coconut oil after all if i am going to fast why find and excuse to add something. looks like i will go all or nothing on this one. I think i am going to follow the time protocol you used on the link you added with the exception that my macros will be much different. I am really likeing this Paleo/LCHF meal plan i am on now, and i think the IF will take it to the next level.

thanks i think i am tracking now
    sgt
    That's a big reason I liked IF so much... I'm an 'all or nothing' type of guy; an extremist. Given an inch (i.e. a little room to 'cheat'), I take a mile. IF didn't allow that wiggle room, and as such, I did very well on it, knowing that even the slightest cheat would negate my 'suffering' (and it wasn't really suffering).

It's why a full blown IIFYM type diet isn't for guys like me... I can't handle the freedom lol

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    What time do you go to bed? I figured bulk of your fast should be situated around when you go to bed, atleast that's the way I've been doing it. Eat from 2-10 or 12-8. I hate going to bed starving
    x2

i go to bed 8 - 830. unless the wife has a better plan then sleep for me. i am leaning towards 12 - 8 or 7 - 3
    I'd DEFINITELY go with the former.

appreciate all the advice. as far as feed time i am splitting difference at 11 - 7. i need an hour or so after i eat before sleep.

appreciate all the advice. as far as feed time i am splitting difference at 11 - 7. i need an hour or so after i eat before sleep.
    My exact window.

PS - you can always shorten that window if you have it in you, possibly benefiting further from being in the fasted state.

baby steps my friend baby steps but i would like to give it a go once i get used to it
    gbrice75 likes this.

thought i would give the going 16 hours with out eating. 15 minutes to go and i found one more benifit. I have been way more productive at work trying to keep busy so time goes by a bit faster.
    gbrice75 likes this.

thought i would give the going 16 hours with out eating. 15 minutes to go and i found one more benifit. I have been way more productive at work trying to keep busy so time goes by a bit faster.
    lol, anything to keep your mind off food, right!?

YUP and you were right it really there really is nothing to it, and damn it might have been the best bacon eggs and protien shake i have had. I imagine it only get easier. i am going to continue throught the weekend adn officially kick it off on monday. the down side is a got all my work doe for the day.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i think i may get back to fasting

when i did it, i was eating at 1230-830

YUP and you were right it really there really is nothing to it, and damn it might have been the best bacon eggs and protien shake i have had. I imagine it only get easier. i am going to continue throught the weekend adn officially kick it off on monday. the down side is a got all my work doe for the day.
    Nice bro. IMO, it definitely gets easier, as your body adjusts to being in the fasted state. Trust me, you're not really 'hungry' in the true sense of the word. It's psychological more than anything else; i.e. you brain is simply conditioned to eat at certain times. When that doesn't happen, leptin is lowered, ghrelin is raised, and you *feel* hungry. This hormonal 'peaks and valleys' behavior should taper off somewhat as you adjust.

i am really interested to see how this goes. thanks again and ill keep ya posted
    gbrice75 likes this.

Thread Information