Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 126
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: ***Dieting 101: Carb Cycling***

  1. #41
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougiefresh7707 View Post
    Hey GB so on you low day what veggies woul you say stay away from I know carrots aren't very good but don't know of any others, I don't like veggies much the ones I can stand are broccoli,cauliflower,asparagus,any squash,artichokes, ca I just stic to those? Also started my log if you have some extra time your input is always welcome anything you see wrong I would like your opinion.thanks again man.
    You can definitely stick with broccoli/cauliflower/asparagus/artichokes... I'd probably forfeit the squash personally. Any green or red lettuces, spinach, green beans, etc. are fair game too. Kale is excellent for you.

    I'll have a look asap.

  2. #42
    Dougiefresh7707's Avatar
    Dougiefresh7707 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Santa clarita
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    You can definitely stick with broccoli/cauliflower/asparagus/artichokes... I'd probably forfeit the squash personally. Any green or red lettuces, spinach, green beans, etc. are fair game too. Kale is excellent for you.

    I'll have a look asap.
    Yea I use alot of kale or spinach in my ground turkey I like it cuz you pack a ton in the pan and it cooks to like nothing so I dump even more in lol.
    gbrice75 likes this.

  3. #43
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    I am interested in starting carb cycling (for cutting) on this Monday. Does this look about right for me? I am going to use 450 for my calorie cut.

    Weight:..........185
    BF%:..............19.2
    LBM.............150
    TDEE............2250
    Cal. Deficit...-450

    Moderate Carb Days:

    Protein....230
    Carbs......130
    Fat..........40

    Low Carb Days:

    Protein....230
    Carbs......0
    Fat..........40

    Reload Day:

    Protein....230
    Carbs......345
    Fat..........40

    Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Brazensol; 07-03-2013 at 06:09 PM.

  4. #44
    GANZZILLA is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    a house
    Posts
    24
    I was interested in doing a bulk but what should my protein carbs and fats be. I'm 5'9 160 about 12% bf I train 6 days a week with cardio every other day.

  5. #45
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    GB - is your carb cycling diet set up to correspond with a 3 workout/week routine? If yes, would it still be effective with a 4 workout/week routine? I would be lifting on day 1 & 2 and day 5 & 6.

  6. #46
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    I am interested in starting carb cycling (for cutting) on this Monday. Does this look about right for me? I am going to use 450 for my calorie cut.

    Weight:..........185
    BF%:..............19.2
    LBM.............150
    TDEE............2250
    Cal. Deficit...-450

    Moderate Carb Days:

    Protein....230
    Carbs......130
    Fat..........40

    Low Carb Days:

    Protein....230
    Carbs......0
    Fat..........40

    Reload Day:

    Protein....230
    Carbs......345
    Fat..........40

    Thanks for looking!
    Numbers look pretty good to me, although I'd bump fats up a bit. 50g or so. You probably don't need carbs to go above 300g on refeed day, but not a big deal really... matter of 200 calories, won't make or break anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by GANZZILLA View Post
    I was interested in doing a bulk but what should my protein carbs and fats be. I'm 5'9 160 about 12% bf I train 6 days a week with cardio every other day.
    I'd probably start at a 40/40/20 split @ around 2600 calories/day and tweak from there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    GB - is your carb cycling diet set up to correspond with a 3 workout/week routine? If yes, would it still be effective with a 4 workout/week routine? I would be lifting on day 1 & 2 and day 5 & 6.
    When I was using carb cycling to cut, my workout schedule was 5x weekly. Definitely effective with the split you've laid out.

  7. #47
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Thanks!
    gbrice75 likes this.

  8. #48
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    You mentioned that even on low carb days you will end up taking in low amount of carbs. My question is - how low is low enough for the diet to still be effective? Under 10 grams? Twenty?

  9. #49
    krugerr's Avatar
    krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK (Nr London)
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol
    You mentioned that even on low carb days you will end up taking in low amount of carbs. My question is - how low is low enough for the diet to still be effective? Under 10 grams? Twenty?
    Usually under 50g a day I found was effective for low carb days. This allowed me to not directly eat carbs, but still fit macros for the carbs in the other things, plus with enough veg it'll add up.
    gbrice75 likes this.

  10. #50
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Fifty! That's easy! I was worried about 15g screwing it up. lol. Do grams from fiber count?

  11. #51
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Ok, I went back and reread the cutting cycle info. I missed where he talked about the 50-100g of fibrous veggies not being a problem. Glad I reread it because I do like my veggies and not having them three days out of the week would have been tough. Just have to remember to avoid the starchy carbs.

  12. #52
    krugerr's Avatar
    krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK (Nr London)
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol
    Ok, I went back and reread the cutting cycle info. I missed where he talked about the 50-100g of fibrous veggies not being a problem. Glad I reread it because I do like my veggies and not having them three days out of the week would have been tough. Just have to remember to avoid the starchy carbs.
    Don't count fiver toward the carb macro, however your veggies will still have some carbs.
    I eat typically 500g broccoli a day which is around 13g carbs and 17g fibre.

    Write up a plan and post it up, be glad to take a look. I found it too me about 4 revisions to get my carb cycle to fit a simple shopping list and make it enjoyable. I just kept tinkering with other options to substitute if I got bored of a particular food. Until I arrived at the final revision which I feel I could eat everyday for 6 months and enjoy it.

    So post it up and let's take a look!

  13. #53
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    You mentioned that even on low carb days you will end up taking in low amount of carbs. My question is - how low is low enough for the diet to still be effective? Under 10 grams? Twenty?
    Usually, staying somewhere within 20-30g is sufficient to achieve a state of ketosis (after a few days). Although ketosis isn't our goal while carb cycling, it's a very 'safe' number to work with. In his book 'UD 2.0', Lyle McDonald notes that there is no appreciable difference between 20g and 50g carbs; however I still tend to err on the lower end.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    Fifty! That's easy! I was worried about 15g screwing it up. lol. Do grams from fiber count?
    Insoluble fiber doesn't count, however I personally count ALL fiber towards my total. This allows me 'think' I'm eating more, thereby keeping carbs in check. It's sort of my Jedi mind trick... Note - I'm not saying you should do this. It's just what I personally do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    Ok, I went back and reread the cutting cycle info. I missed where he talked about the 50-100g of fibrous veggies not being a problem. Glad I reread it because I do like my veggies and not having them three days out of the week would have been tough. Just have to remember to avoid the starchy carbs.
    Eat them veggies! Fibrous veggies and starchy carbs aren't comparable in terms of how your body assimilates them.

  14. #54
    Ironman310 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    Hey there what kind of cardio is best while carb cycling
    Hiit it moderate (empty stomach ) thanks for all the advice

  15. #55
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman310 View Post
    Hey there what kind of cardio is best while carb cycling
    Hiit it moderate (empty stomach ) thanks for all the advice
    All kinds... just do cardio!

  16. #56
    BuffMama's Avatar
    BuffMama is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    36
    Hi, just wanted to give feedback on carb cycling to bulk. I'm in week 3 and love it I'm gaining weight at a slow pace and that's good for me, I have a hard time putting on muscle so I'm very careful with my cals as to not put on fat. I'm impressed, Great stuff on this thread, thank you!
    gbrice75 likes this.

  17. #57
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffMama View Post
    Hi, just wanted to give feedback on carb cycling to bulk. I'm in week 3 and love it I'm gaining weight at a slow pace and that's good for me, I have a hard time putting on muscle so I'm very careful with my cals as to not put on fat. I'm impressed, Great stuff on this thread, thank you!
    Great job!! How long have you been at it (lifting, etc.) in general?

  18. #58
    BuffMama's Avatar
    BuffMama is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

    Great job!! How long have you been at it (lifting, etc.) in general?
    Lifting 2 1/2 years, I've been working out 8 years doing whatever and finally found I love lifting did some figure shows in 2011, had a bad rebound and spent 2012 focusing on my diet through trial and error and a recovered metabolism I finally feel like I found my sweet spot. Eating lots of food gaining muscle and little fat
    gbrice75 likes this.

  19. #59
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffMama View Post
    Lifting 2 1/2 years, I've been working out 8 years doing whatever and finally found I love lifting did some figure shows in 2011, had a bad rebound and spent 2012 focusing on my diet through trial and error and a recovered metabolism I finally feel like I found my sweet spot. Eating lots of food gaining muscle and little fat
    Awesome! Always good to have another female member around who has competed... stick around, I'm sure you'll soon be helping and inspiring others around here, male and female alike!

  20. #60
    BuffMama's Avatar
    BuffMama is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

    Awesome! Always good to have another female member around who has competed... stick around, I'm sure you'll soon be helping and inspiring others around here, male and female alike!
    I will stay around I'm Learning alot reading forums ive also been using anavar so I hope I can eventually help others with that and competing and nutrition
    gbrice75 likes this.

  21. #61
    Sub_Zero's Avatar
    Sub_Zero is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    53

    Wink

    I seriously wish that majority of newbies would jump-start to this section rather than experimenting with AAS and the looking for someone to blame when things go out of hand Nevertheless, great post GB... really appreciate the info.
    If it's not too much to ask i would like you to take a look at my stats and direct me whenever I'm on the right track:

    Age: 24
    Height: 6.0
    Objective: Reach 80KG - 176LB while not going above 10%... Ideally not going above at all (Wishful thinking
    Current: 74KG - 160LB (8%)
    Calories: 3031
    Protein: 341.9 - 53.66%
    Carbohydrates: 200.9 - 31.52%
    Fat: 94.4 - 14.82%

    Training: 6 Days a Week
    Intervals: 3 Day High Intensity (Weights (Drop-sets) + Resistance) (90 minutes) 3 Days Medium Intensity (Weights or Resistance) (60 minutes)

    I'm was planning on incorporating sprint sessions during "3 Days Medium Intensity" days, however having doubts as it could promote additional calorie intake.

    Also, out of pure curiosity, have you ever tried increasing fat intake while decreasing carbohydrates ? Theoretically, fast metabolism should recognize fat as alternative source of energy and mobilize it along with carbohydrates thus compensating energy depletion from lack of carbohydrates ? Any thoughts ?

    Thanks
    gbrice75 likes this.

  22. #62
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    I seriously wish that majority of newbies would jump-start to this section rather than experimenting with AAS and the looking for someone to blame when things go out of hand Nevertheless, great post GB... really appreciate the info.
    Thank you sir!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    If it's not too much to ask i would like you to take a look at my stats and direct me whenever I'm on the right track:

    Age: 24
    Height: 6.0
    Objective: Reach 80KG - 176LB while not going above 10%... Ideally not going above at all (Wishful thinking
    Current: 74KG - 160LB (8%)
    Calories: 3031
    Protein: 341.9 - 53.66%
    Carbohydrates: 200.9 - 31.52%
    Fat: 94.4 - 14.82%
    Protein is way high... I don't see the need. Your training is high output - so why not make your energy high input? 250g would be plenty. I'd take the remaining 400 calories and dump it all into carbs (100g more), or distribute it evenly between fat/carbs - 22g and 50g respectively.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    Training: 6 Days a Week
    Intervals: 3 Day High Intensity (Weights (Drop-sets) + Resistance) (90 minutes) 3 Days Medium Intensity (Weights or Resistance) (60 minutes)

    I'm was planning on incorporating sprint sessions during "3 Days Medium Intensity" days, however having doubts as it could promote additional calorie intake.
    Not sure I quite understand your routine, but like I said - it sounds like high output nonetheless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    Also, out of pure curiosity, have you ever tried increasing fat intake while decreasing carbohydrates ? Theoretically, fast metabolism should recognize fat as alternative source of energy and mobilize it along with carbohydrates thus compensating energy depletion from lack of carbohydrates ? Any thoughts ?

    Thanks
    Yes, and this is pretty much the idea behind keto dieting. I actually *do* run carbs relatively low, around 100g/day localized around my workout window with the remainder of meals just being protein/fat for the most part. Having said that, my caloric requirements are much less than that of yours.

  23. #63
    Sub_Zero's Avatar
    Sub_Zero is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    53
    Protein is way high... I don't see the need. Your training is high output - so why not make your energy high input? 250g would be plenty. I'd take the remaining 400 calories and dump it all into carbs (100g more), or distribute it evenly between fat/carbs - 22g and 50g respectively.
    I see... this would provide additional energy throughout the day and it could be used throughout my Thur/Fri/Sat sessions where my training is based on average output: making it more dynamic. I'll definitely give a try and assess my performance based on it throughout the week.

    Yes, and this is pretty much the idea behind keto dieting. I actually *do* run carbs relatively low, around 100g/day localized around my workout window with the remainder of meals just being protein/fat for the most part. Having said that, my caloric requirements are much less than that of yours.
    At what body-fat & would you advice to attempt this approach as it certainly doesn't sound easy. Moreover, how are your energy levels fluctuating throughout the day based on on lower carbohydrates and higher fat intake ?

    Also, what is your opinion on 6 meals per day vs 3 meals per day ?

    Thanks

  24. #64
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    At what body-fat & would you advice to attempt this approach as it certainly doesn't sound easy. Moreover, how are your energy levels fluctuating throughout the day based on on lower carbohydrates and higher fat intake ?
    I don't think you need to be at any specific level of BF to run a keto diet, although I tend to think results would be more favorable (i.e. more fat/less muscle lost) at higher bodyfat percentages. I don't know if I'd attempt it at <10% because I'd be more concerned about burning LBM at that point.

    Personally, I've never done well on keto diets. I've run one twice and never quite felt right. I lost a lot of weight, but not much bodyfat. Looked small, felt weak. But I will say that at the time, my fats probably weren't high enough. When you take carbs out of the equation, your body needs energy from somewhere. If fat isn't sufficient, the only thing left is dietary protein and/or LBM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    Also, what is your opinion on 6 meals per day vs 3 meals per day ?

    Thanks
    Go with whatever works best for you, makes you feel the best, and suits your lifestyle. In terms of metabolism, there is no difference. People who eat smaller, more frequent meals are NOT speeding up their metabolism, that's a debunked myth.

  25. #65
    Sub_Zero's Avatar
    Sub_Zero is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    53
    "Ketogenic" diet is definitely an interesting subject and worth researching/experimenting, however an I'm still new to this I think for the time being I'll stick "Atkins" and see how far I can push it.
    To my surprise, my younger brother managed to push his BF% down to 5% while maintaining majority of LBM while he was on "Atkins" diet. He stats: 6.2ft, 180lb
    I would guess that if applying appropriate proportions in terms of P/C/F ratio, one should be able to push BF% even further down simply because liver will be breaking down fat into acids and utilize as an energy. This would also promote an increase in free test levels (especially from saturated fat) - another great benefit. Personally, I would move towards such diet gradually by slowly reducing carbs and increasing fat. The reason for that is that your body would gradually adjust to new source of energy rather than having a shock therapy and burn some LBM before adjusting to to ketonic acids. Hmmm... and the energy levels ? You got me thinking GB, you got me thinking... I need to do some research on this subject and do some tests in order to have an opinion, because right know it's a pure game of logic. Damn... you learn something new every day LOL !!!!

  26. #66
    Jack Mehoff is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    27
    So if I'm cutting i should avoid fruits? Is this because of the sugars turning into fats?

  27. #67
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    "Ketogenic" diet is definitely an interesting subject and worth researching/experimenting, however an I'm still new to this I think for the time being I'll stick "Atkins" and see how far I can push it.
    I wouldn't use Atkins in conjunction with a weight training regimen. As far as I remember, there is no recommendation for macros, no concern for types of foods eaten (i.e. Atkins lets you have at it with all the nastiest, artery clogging shit if you wish), etc. There are MUCH better keto diets out there designed to compliment weight training. Research CKD (Cyclic Ketogenic Diet) and also look up Dave Palumbo and his approach. Atkins, IMO, wasn't designed with an active lifestyle in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    To my surprise, my younger brother managed to push his BF% down to 5% while maintaining majority of LBM while he was on "Atkins" diet. He stats: 6.2ft, 180lb
    Impressive. Honestly, I can't imagine he ran a 'cookie cutter' Atkins diet. Most guys have a hard time getting below 8% without losing LBM running a carb rich diet, let alone keto.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    I would guess that if applying appropriate proportions in terms of P/C/F ratio, one should be able to push BF% even further down simply because liver will be breaking down fat into acids and utilize as an energy. This would also promote an increase in free test levels (especially from saturated fat) - another great benefit.
    This would definitely make a difference. However, I'd still incorporate a carb refeed day, once every 10 days at least. Likely once/week. (the basis of CKD, hence, 'cyclic')

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    Personally, I would move towards such diet gradually by slowly reducing carbs and increasing fat. The reason for that is that your body would gradually adjust to new source of energy rather than having a shock therapy and burn some LBM before adjusting to to ketonic acids. Hmmm... and the energy levels ?
    I don't think it really matters tbh. Our bodies don't need dietary carbohydrates at all, so I wouldn't 'waste' time doing this gradually. Just cut carbs and your body will burn what glycogen stores are left, then if calories are on point and dietary fats are high enough, should settle in to a decent fat/ketone burning state.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    You got me thinking GB, you got me thinking... I need to do some research on this subject and do some tests in order to have an opinion, because right know it's a pure game of logic. Damn... you learn something new every day LOL !!!!
    Let me know what you wind up deciding on, and how you make out!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mehoff View Post
    So if I'm cutting i should avoid fruits? Is this because of the sugars turning into fats?
    No, and no. Excess calories are stored as fat, not just those from sugar. However, due to surges in insulin and other factors, I try to keep them minimal and localized around my workout window in an effort to maximize their efficiency.

  28. #68
    CLiQx is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    7
    I was always curious how to properly moderate carb intake... Great read
    gbrice75 likes this.

  29. #69
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiQx View Post
    I was always curious how to properly moderate carb intake... Great read
    Glad you're finding the post useful, and welcome to the board!

  30. #70
    athletic.guy is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    lol... someday you might budge!



    Thanks brother. Like you, I always found hitting my protein macro with whole foods tough too... and at times, I'd be 50/50 powder/whole food. Then I found the holy grail: liquid egg whites!!!

    I drink about a carton a day (not all at once) which provides roughly 100g quality (some consider gold standard) protein. Because of this, I now use very little protein powder these days.
    DUDE.... you drink raw egg whites ???

  31. #71
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by athletic.guy View Post
    DUDE.... you drink raw egg whites ???
    Liquid, not raw. Cartoned egg whites are pasteurized, therefore not raw. The pasteurization process kills off harmful bacteria and as far as I can tell, the Avidin that binds up some of the protein in actual raw eggs and makes their content less bio available.

  32. #72
    pjbandit is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    105
    How do you account for sugar alcohols in your carb counting?

  33. #73
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbandit View Post
    How do you account for sugar alcohols in your carb counting?
    I don't... but with that in mind, I try to keep intake minimal.

  34. #74
    Garcia13's Avatar
    Garcia13 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    37
    Great read!
    gbrice75 likes this.

  35. #75
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Garcia13 View Post
    Great read!
    Glad you enjoyed it!

  36. #76
    BennyBenny's Avatar
    BennyBenny is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    columbus ohio
    Posts
    1
    Hey! I have found this to be very interesting. I currently am doing amatuer bikini competitions and have my first figure show coming up here in the spring! What about lean bulking? my last prep I bulked a bit higher than i wanted (im 5'4 and show at 112lbs) I bulked up to 133lbs and it was not a great number to have to go down from and i retained a TON of water and had to deplete way too long this time to get all the water off. i dropped a solid 13-15 in water weight within the show prep remaining two weeks and it was mighty unnerving coming up to those last few days and still looking bloated! Do you have any advise on a lean bulk where i can maintain more of a leanness? my measurements are pretty close but i need to focus on legs. BUUUUUT i want to maintain some sort of lean midsection this time and really want to solve the extreme water retention issue!

    Let me know if you have any words!
    gbrice75 likes this.

  37. #77
    run_n_fool is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The 7th Circle of Hell
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Liquid, not raw. Cartoned egg whites are pasteurized, therefore not raw. The pasteurization process kills off harmful bacteria and as far as I can tell, the Avidin that binds up some of the protein in actual raw eggs and makes their content less bio available.
    I've heard raw eggs were something like 50% bio available. You think that cartoned egg whites are fully bio avail? That'd be great news to me, but just wanted to confirm that before I start chugging them down. They are super cheap at Costco ...

  38. #78
    Back In Black's Avatar
    Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    17,186
    Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    I've heard raw eggs were something like 50% bio available. You think that cartoned egg whites are fully bio avail? That'd be great news to me, but just wanted to confirm that before I start chugging them down. They are super cheap at Costco ...
    Yes, pasteurised eggs are as close to 100% as you will get.
    gbrice75 likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

  39. #79
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyBenny View Post
    Hey! I have found this to be very interesting. I currently am doing amatuer bikini competitions and have my first figure show coming up here in the spring! What about lean bulking? my last prep I bulked a bit higher than i wanted (im 5'4 and show at 112lbs) I bulked up to 133lbs and it was not a great number to have to go down from and i retained a TON of water and had to deplete way too long this time to get all the water off.
    i dropped a solid 13-15 in water weight within the show prep remaining two weeks and it was mighty unnerving coming up to those last few days and still looking bloated! Do you have any advise on a lean bulk where i can maintain more of a leanness? my measurements are pretty close but i need to focus on legs. BUUUUUT i want to maintain some sort of lean midsection this time and really want to solve the extreme water retention issue!

    Let me know if you have any words!
    Hey there, I assume you are/were working with a coach? If so, is it the same coach this time around? I'm just curious as to what he/she thought about this.

    To be honest, I wouldn't be overly concerned with water retention so long as you *can* dry out when it counts. I agree thought that it shouldn't take forever to accomplish. I'd be interested to hear your regimen to drop the water weight?

    Do you have a tendency to retain water beyond what you might consider the 'average'? Women are obviously very different than men with particular regard to hormonal impact on water retention, so you girls definitely have it worse.

    I'd like to help but would need to know what you were doing prior (i.e. your 'bulk') and then what changes were made during prep.

    Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    I've heard raw eggs were something like 50% bio available. You think that cartoned egg whites are fully bio avail? That'd be great news to me, but just wanted to confirm that before I start chugging them down. They are super cheap at Costco ...
    I can't say it any better than what you've already quoted. What you say about raw eggs is correct, and as stated, cartoned egg whites are not raw, they've been heated to a point where the avidin is destroyed thereby increasing bioavailability by nearly double.
    run_n_fool likes this.

  40. #80
    run_n_fool is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The 7th Circle of Hell
    Posts
    464
    Does drinking the whites give you the trots? I did it for the first time in a while yesterday and basically had a completely liquid BM like an hour later.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •