Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: ***Dieting 101: Carb Cycling***

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    Does drinking the whites give you the trots? I did it for the first time in a while yesterday and basically had a completely liquid BM like an hour later.
    I haven't experienced any negative effects from liquid egg whites... a lot of people report HORRIBLE farting, but I haven't had that issue (thank God).

mark woods is offline Associate Member
    good read!

Quote Originally Posted by mark woods
    good read!
    Thanks!

Rida5d is offline Member
    How the hell did I miss your thread?
    I've Ben reading UD2 last few days and your approach seems more applicable/friendly as u describe it, that's for sure..
    This thread will be my bible for the next couple of months..
    I've lost few weeks on a keto which yield some shitty results.
    Thnx a lot for posting.
    gbrice75 likes this.

sh0plifter is offline New Member
    Great info, thanks, OP.
    Last edited by sh0plifter; 07-25-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rida5d View Post
    How the hell did I miss your thread?
    I've Ben reading UD2 last few days and your approach seems more applicable/friendly as u describe it, that's for sure..
    This thread will be my bible for the next couple of months..
    I've lost few weeks on a keto which yield some shitty results.
    Thnx a lot for posting.
    Thanks! How's it going - any update?

Quote Originally Posted by sh0plifter View Post
    Great info, thanks, OP.
    Thx!

athletic.guy is offline Associate Member
    So you don't use any Vitargo or waxy maize Intra workout or PWO at all during this diet?
    Last edited by athletic.guy; 11-08-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Granovich is offline Senior Member
    what do you think of doing cardio on the morning of the first low carb day ( or all low carb days) for an hour on empty stomach to deplete your glycogen and start burning fat faster ? or wont be significant and would be same as if you do it post workout ?? ( purpose is cutting)
    what about cardio on moderate days ?

RewardingLabor is offline Associate Member
    I keep reading the conversation between you and sub zero and I still don't know what the conclusion is.
    Should I be upping my fats as I drop my carbs or am i just dropping carbs if my goal is lean body mass first and bf loss/ maintenance second?

Also, how does carb cycling factor in to testosterone cycling?
    If I'm bulking and injecting test every 3.5 days would it make sense to time the high carb days with the test or the low carb days with the test?

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RewardingLabor View Post
    I keep reading the conversation between you and sub zero and I still don't know what the conclusion is.
    Should I be upping my fats as I drop my carbs or am i just dropping carbs if my goal is lean body mass first and bf loss/ maintenance second?

If I'm bulking and injecting test every 3.5 days would it make sense to time the high carb days with the test or the low carb days with the test?
    Fats will be static, the only dynamic portion of your macronutrients will be carbs which will fluctuate from high to low throughout the week

Quote Originally Posted by athletic.guy View Post
    So you don't use any Vitargo or waxy maize Intra workout or PWO at all during this diet?
    Me personally? No ... I don't see the need to buy a PWO 'fast acting' carb source when I can eat food.

Quote Originally Posted by Granovich View Post
    what do you think of doing cardio on the morning of the first low carb day ( or all low carb days) for an hour on empty stomach to deplete your glycogen and start burning fat faster ? or wont be significant and would be same as if you do it post workout ?? ( purpose is cutting)
    what about cardio on moderate days ?
    The age-old cardio debate ... it's enough to drive anybody crazy. You have people telling you it doesn't matter when you do cardio, and in what state (i.e. fed vs. fasted), etc. and on the opposite end of the spectrum, those who swear by it.

I'll say this - most competitive bodybuilders I know do am fasted cardio during contest prep, so take that for what it's worth.

Personally, my approach has always been low-moderate intensity steady-state cardio in the morning, and higher intensity (HIIT or the like) PWO in the fed state. It's a well-rounded plan of attack. The main point is that you DO cardio and are consistent with it, if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RewardingLabor View Post

Not sure which conversation you're referring to ... it's been a while, sorry. On the particular example outlined in this thread, the only variance is with carbs; fats/proteins stay consistent.

If I were bulking and running a cycle, I probably wouldn't cycle my carbs at all. Just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by uhit View Post
    Fats will be static, the only dynamic portion of your macronutrients will be carbs which will fluctuate from high to low throughout the week
    ^^ this.

CanadaStrong88 is offline Junior Member
    Great read. Just a question... Isn't a tdee of a 5'11 male 200lb 12percent bf higher than 2600? I punched it into a few different calculators and got about 3100. I'm 5'11 early 20s about 200lb but probably 15 to 16bf. Current macros are 59f 230p and about 300c(cutting on 2600cal). How should I adjust for carb cycling? Would really appreciate a reply thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaStrong88 View Post
    Great read. Just a question... Isn't a tdee of a 5'11 male 200lb 12percent bf higher than 2600?
    Not necessarily. TDEE will differ for everyone. It's just that - Total Daily Energy Expenditure. A 200lb 5'11 12% BF male who has a desk job will have a MUCH lower TDEE than say somebody who works construction ... all else being equal.

I punched it into a few different calculators and got about 3100. I'm 5'11 early 20s about 200lb but probably 15 to 16bf. Current macros are 59f 230p and about 300c(cutting on 2600cal). How should I adjust for carb cycling? Would really appreciate a reply thanks.
    I've never been a big fan of the TDEE formulas, especially the online calculators. They always seem to calculate too far on the high end. Also, I find that beginners/novices in general think they need way more calories than they actually need. This is especially important for cutting, since the threshold between losing, maintaining, and God forbid gaining weight is usually a few hundred calories or so.

At the end of the day, all you can really do is stick with what you're doing, be 100% consistent (this is KEY, I can't stress it enough), and watch how your body responds over the course of a few weeks. Then you adjust accordingly, if needed. If you're not consistent, you'll never really know what's going on with your body, because you will have 'tarnished' the 'formula'.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I have really enjoyed reading this thread, excellent work gb
    gbrice75 likes this.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
    I have really enjoyed reading this thread, excellent work gb
    Thanks Panzer! Good to see you still around!

Alright guys so my carb cycle is Sunday high Monday Tues wed medium and Thurs Fri sat none. Today's sat and my buddies brought me my favourite dinner fajitas to my place. I estimate 150 to 200g carbs. What do you guys recommend doing tomorrow, Sunday to make up for it? Please reply ASAP.

Alright guys so my carb cycle is Sunday high Monday Tues wed medium and Thurs Fri sat none. Today's sat and my buddies brought me my favourite dinner fajitas to my place. I estimate 150 to 200g carbs. What do you guys recommend doing tomorrow, Sunday to make up for it? Please reply ASAP.
    It's a little late now ... but this is one of those times where you have to decide how important your goal is, and what that goal is. Are you wanting to compete? You'd better get used to denying yourself during contest prep ... because the other guy that just placed ahead of you said no to the fajitas.

I'm being extreme to make a point. If you're doing this casually, then I wouldn't really worry, although I also wouldn't make a habit of 'cheating', or you'll just be spinning your wheels. I'm assuing you've already eaten them, so just drop your estimated carbs from Sunday and be done with it. Or, eat your usual Sunday and get in an extra cardio session or two.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

It's a little late now ... but this is one of those times where you have to decide how important your goal is, and what that goal is. Are you wanting to compete? You'd better get used to denying yourself during contest prep ... because the other guy that just placed ahead of you said no to the fajitas.

I'm being extreme to make a point. If you're doing this casually, then I wouldn't really worry, although I also wouldn't make a habit of 'cheating', or you'll just be spinning your wheels. I'm assuing you've already eaten them, so just drop your estimated carbs from Sunday and be done with it. Or, eat your usual Sunday and get in an extra cardio session or two.
    Cool. Yes just doing it casual for the next couple of years at least. I just dropped my Sunday carbs and will be throwing in an extra cardio this week. Thanks for the reply though
    gbrice75 likes this.

nes
    nes is offline New Member
    Readjusted my first diet I tried to make by my own, Thanks for this article it was helpfull !!
    Tired of paying 60$ every month so the coach readjusts it !
    gbrice75 likes this.

LEO78 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for the article. Hope I will get rid of some fat.
    gbrice75 likes this.

ZeroSumGainz is offline New Member
    Excellent guide, it's something that would be very easy to stick to. I've read UD2 and Lyle spends a lot of time on the idea of perfecting glycogen depletion with the end goal of achieving supercompensation on the carb reload. Is there any value to this or simply not worth the effort?

N00bie329 is offline New Member
    Hey, can you help me on what my macros should be M-W and Sunday's? I'm at 175, about 18-20% BF. I was thinking:

M-W - Protein 225, Fats 55, Carbs 150
    Sunday - Carbs 300

What are your thoughts? Thanks

N00bie329 is offline New Member
    Also, Corn Pops cereal is high in carbs and no fat. 3 cups of that with 3 cups of 1% fat milk gives me 114g of carbs alone. Is this a bad source of carbs? I just want to be able to satisfy my sweet tooth and help keep me sane. What are your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by N00bie329 View Post
    Also, Corn Pops cereal is high in carbs and no fat. 3 cups of that with 3 cups of 1% fat milk gives me 114g of carbs alone. Is this a bad source of carbs? I just want to be able to satisfy my sweet tooth and help keep me sane. What are your thoughts
    I actually like corn pops but only Sunday on my refeed. Would definitely not use during week as a primary carb source especially like 70 percent of carbs from corn pops
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LEO78 View Post
    Thanks for the article. Hope I will get rid of some fat.
    So, how's it going?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSumGainz View Post
    Excellent guide, it's something that would be very easy to stick to. I've read UD2 and Lyle spends a lot of time on the idea of perfecting glycogen depletion with the end goal of achieving supercompensation on the carb reload. Is there any value to this or simply not worth the effort?
    I think there's definitely some merit, however I wouldn't bother with UD2 or the like unless you're really lean already and wanting to take it to the next level, planning to compete, etc. It's a very, VERY hard diet (I've run it) and not fun at all. So, whether it's worth the effort or not is something you'll have to gauge based on your goals, however it certainly 'works'.

javajim is offline Junior Member
    Quantity Calories Total Calories Fat Protein Carbs
    Eggs 3 17 51 0.3 10.8 0.6
    Bee pollen 2 tbl 64 64 0.48 2.4 4.34
    Tuna 8 oz 220 220 5.1 40.6 0
    Broccoli 1 cup 20 20 0.2 2.1 3.7
    Green Beans 1 cup 44 44 0.4 2.4 9.9
    Turkey 8 oz 150 300 1.6 75 0
    Beans 1/2 cup 100 100 0.5 6.5 17.5 xxxxxxxx
    Oatmeal 2 cups 166 332 1.4 11.8 56.2 xxxxxxxx
    Raisins 1/4 cup 108 108 0.1 1.1 26 xxxxxxxx
    Almonds 20 164 164 14.4 6 5.6 xxxxxxxx
    Wild rice or Quinoa av ca 1/2 cup 83 83 0.75 3.6 18.5 xxxxxxxx
    Protein Shake 1 110 110 1 11 4
    Olive Oil 2 tbl 240 240 28 0 0
    Lentils 1/2 cup 130 130 0.04 8.5 20 xxxxxxxx
    peanut butter 2 tbl 188 188 16 8 6.8 xxxxxxxx

Carbs total 2154 70.27 189.8 173.14 On low carb day 1633 cal

Carbs Cycle by Day

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    Med Carb Medlum Carb Low Carb Low Carb Low Carb High Carb Meduim Carb

On hight Carb day potatoes pasta bread rice beans fruit any good Carbs

Sorry I dont why it wont line up The x is what I dont have on low carb day I think I am ok on high carb day but not sure about the rest
    56 years old,5-10,216***Dieting 101:  Carb Cycling***-jim-new-tat-look.jpg 17-18 bf I think. Thanks for looking

Your

diet

Layout

Hurts

My

EYES.

Quote Originally Posted by javajim View Post
    Quantity Calories Total Calories Fat Protein Carbs
    Eggs 3 17 51 0.3 10.8 0.6
    Bee pollen 2 tbl 64 64 0.48 2.4 4.34
    Tuna 8 oz 220 220 5.1 40.6 0
    Broccoli 1 cup 20 20 0.2 2.1 3.7
    Green Beans 1 cup 44 44 0.4 2.4 9.9
    Turkey 8 oz 150 300 1.6 75 0
    Beans 1/2 cup 100 100 0.5 6.5 17.5 xxxxxxxx
    Oatmeal 2 cups 166 332 1.4 11.8 56.2 xxxxxxxx
    Raisins 1/4 cup 108 108 0.1 1.1 26 xxxxxxxx
    Almonds 20 164 164 14.4 6 5.6 xxxxxxxx
    Wild rice or Quinoa av ca 1/2 cup 83 83 0.75 3.6 18.5 xxxxxxxx
    Protein Shake 1 110 110 1 11 4
    Olive Oil 2 tbl 240 240 28 0 0
    Lentils 1/2 cup 130 130 0.04 8.5 20 xxxxxxxx
    peanut butter 2 tbl 188 188 16 8 6.8 xxxxxxxx

Carbs total 2154 70.27 189.8 173.14 On low carb day 1633 cal

Carbs Cycle by Day

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    Med Carb Medlum Carb Low Carb Low Carb Low Carb High Carb Meduim Carb

On hight Carb day potatoes pasta bread rice beans fruit any good Carbs

Sorry I dont why it wont line up The x is what I dont have on low carb day I think I am ok on high carb day but not sure about the rest
    56 years old,5-10,216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jim new tat and look.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	159502 17-18 bf I think. Thanks for looking

SpotMe87 is offline Junior Member
    may give a try

ocman is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    If I were bulking and running a cycle, I probably wouldn't cycle my carbs at all. Just my personal opinion.
    Can you elaborate on this?

thanks!

Josh577 is offline Associate Member
    I have a question that may be stupide but I'm 6'7" 315 pounds. I would like to get down to 280. I've been ready all the stickys abt cutting an diets I'm not on a cycle right now or plaining on it untill I can get down to that 280 mark. My question is can I do your carb cycling for cutting plain week end week out untill I hit my goal? If I want to be at 280 should I figure up my calories and protein and so on for a 280 pound man or a 315 pound man? I'm confused exactly how to get my tdee. If you can help me out I would be greatful and thank you for the knowledge I've already gained.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Bumping this. It's an awesome tool for fat loss
    gbrice75 likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Ok, maybe you can help me understand.

I get the part where you keep your body guessing because of the different small amounts of carbs mostly...It takes a couple of weeks for your body to get use to the low carbs before it starts using the high fats for energy and that leaves you with low energy for the first couple of weeks?

What happens when you come off carb cycling?

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    you can suffer those few weeks slowly adopting to low carb or throw yourself in it full blast and be done switching over to FAT-BURNING ZONE in less than 5 days, usually 2-4 days and youre in KETOSIS. Thats when fun begins.

I'd say eat ~15% bellow your maintenance kcal, exercise intensivelly, include 30-60min cardio daily and make sure stay under 25g carbs, keep your protein high for this period, high meaning like ~1g per lb of your body weight to minimise muscle loss.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by ocman View Post

I get the part where you keep your body guessing because of the different small amounts of carbs mostly...It takes a couple of weeks for your body to get use to the low carbs before it starts using the high fats for energy and that leaves you with low energy for the first couple of weeks?

You are talking about a ketogenic diet. Carb cycling is not a ketogenic diet, please read the first post of this thread.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh577 View Post
    I have a question that may be stupide but I'm 6'7" 315 pounds. I would like to get down to 280. I've been ready all the stickys abt cutting an diets I'm not on a cycle right now or plaining on it untill I can get down to that 280 mark. My question is can I do your carb cycling for cutting plain week end week out untill I hit my goal? If I want to be at 280 should I figure up my calories and protein and so on for a 280 pound man or a 315 pound man? I'm confused exactly how to get my tdee. If you can help me out I would be greatful and thank you for the knowledge I've already gained.
    Figure it up for the weight that you are targeting. If you continued to take in the amount of calories it takes to maintain your current weight, you wouldn't see any/very little loss unless you increased your energy needs through increased activity.
    Also, if you see the weight moving too quickly, add some calories back in.
    gbrice75 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

thanks for starting this thread!

I went back and re-read the first post.

I want to do a cut and these are my stats:

5'-9"
    15.7% bf
    2600 TDEE

I'm lifting on M-W-F (friday being leg day), cardio T-TH-Sat, let me know if I'm on track.

M-T-W - Moderate carbs

P-275
    C-150
    F-55

Th-F-Sat - Low carbs

P-275
    C-0 (only from veggies)
    F-55

Sun - high

P-275
    C-400
    F-55

peace!
    Last edited by ocman; 07-24-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Is that the right way to do carbs on a cut?

mod carbs - m-t-w
    low carbs - th-fri-sat
    high carbs - sun

jGrande is offline New Member
    I swear it's tuff for me to think about cycling. A good diet is so hard to formulate and stick to then throw some daily changes in there and I'm confused Great post
    gbrice75 likes this.

Can you elaborate on this?

thanks!
    Can't recall the PO or context in which I was replying to ... but hit me up if this is still up in the air, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh577 View Post
    Not to be overly general or simplistic, but there are many ways to achieve a fat loss goal. Carb cycling is nothing more than a tool that can be utilized with any intelligent, well thought out diet plan where dropping body fat is the goal. Conversely, it can be used to 'bulk' as well - therefore is not exclusive to cutting diets/dropping bodyfat.

All of this to say - you can use carb cycling for as long as you like, but when you hit a plateau (and you will), you'll know it's time to make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Bumping this. It's an awesome tool for fat loss
    Thanks brother - have always appreciated your support!

Assuming overall caloric intake stays relatively close to what it was during your carb cycle (let's say within the range of a week) - nothing 'happens'. You may feel slightly different (tired or more energetic) depending on how you've statically adjusted your macros vs. cycling.

Is that the right way to do carbs on a cut?

mod carbs - m-t-w
    low carbs - th-fri-sat
    high carbs - sun
    It's been years, but pretty sure that's how I did it. If I recall (I'm too lazy to check now), I posted my original plan, or something similar to it, in the OP. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jGrande View Post
    I swear it's tuff for me to think about cycling. A good diet is so hard to formulate and stick to then throw some daily changes in there and I'm confused Great post
    Honestly, it's not that hard. People make it hard. People over complicate. Keyboard gurus, people wanting to sell you on the 'perfect' plan, etc. keeps our heads spinning. Not to trivialize, but it's pretty simple, really. cut = slight hypocaloric diet - caloric deficit created via limited food intake and/or increased physical output (cardio). add mass = slight hypercaloric diet - caloric surplus created by increased food intake (preferred) and/or less output (activity/cardio - not preferred IMO).

Smart food choices. 80/20 clean eating (clean being a relative term, I know). moderate-high protein with either goal, low-moderate fat with either goal, carbs being the biggest x-factor and adjuster for your given goal.

Metalmank is offline New Member
    Started carb cycling this week. Been a interesting run so far.

MTuWed - Mod carb

Protein 220g, Carbs 150g, fat 60g

ThuFriSat - Low carb

Protein 200-220g, Fat 60g, Carbs 0g (I aim for less then 30g because obviously some food you get some 'small amount of carbs). Leafy green vegetables.

Sunday- Refeed/highcarb

220g pro, 60g fat (Its at 70g today), 300g Carbs

TDEE is like 2700ish.

High carb im only eating to my TDEE or very slighty over.

Lowcarb days are rough man lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information